This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2023-2024 Season

On 5/19/2024 at 11:21 PM, deanofdance said:

Just a few thoughts on this afternoon’s performance:

1) Law of Mosaics - I thought DAAG was the never ending ballet — but that honor now goes to LOM — My Lord, did this ballet seem to go on and on and on.  It seemed twice as long than when I saw it earlier in the week — but thrice as bad.  
2) This Bitter Earth — the artistic ember that was growing in Unity is now a small flame — it’s there radiating.  There was real emotion between her and Andy — a connection — they were so attuned to each other — and playing out a drama.  Eloquence. 
3) Love Letter — Today’s performance was a bit different — it seems that Takahashi danced one of Taylor’s solos — I mean, there was KJ dancing a long solo on stage with choreography that I don’t recall him doing before — but since he moves so differently than Taylor, it didn’t register until later that he must have been given one of Taylor’s solos.  KJ was wonderful — giving butch realness (kidding, but you know what I mean!).  I kept looking at Olivia Bell — who with her movement was shouting out that in a just world, she would be dancing Quinn Starner’s role.  But Ballet is like Life — it isn’t fair (well, not all the time).

Saw this program last night and agree with Mosaics being too long! Very much enjoyed Miriam Miller’s silent solo though.

After reading all of the discourse in This Bitter Earth, I thought it was beautiful. Tyler and Sara were so in sync and I found the choreography beautiful.  Less pretzel-y than other Wheeldon PDDs- to me the most Wheeldon-y signature is the sliding en pointe.

i have never seen Love Letter so am unfamiliar with who dances what but it seems last night Oilivia Bell DID dance Quinn Starner’s role?   I believe it was Olivia who danced the very featured part while Quinn was just in the corps.  Taylor Stanley was just fantastic in this, but ugh, I hated the costumes. 

I also think this may have been my first time seeing anything at NYCB with recorded music! 

Saw the Friday Law of Mosaics/This Bitter Earth/Herman Schmerman/Love Letter performance:

This seems to be a minority opinion but I like Law of Mosaics! I agree that it exhausts its ideas and could have benefitted from being trimmed, but to me it has a lot of cleverness and inventiveness. I particularly love the silent solo, danced with wit and flair by Miriam Miller.  I haven't seen Preston Chamblee featured much this season but he wowed me, particularly one moment where the contrast between his big, broad-chested physique and the speed and fluidity with which he was turning and bending was just exquisite.

Sarah made something really beautiful and moving out of This Bitter Earth. She seemed to REALLY be feeling it. Herman Schmerman is a great Tiler/Roman vehicle, lots of fun seeing them dance it.

I'm SO glad they appear to have relit Love Letter on Shuffle and made it brighter. The ballet really shines now and I enjoy it more.  Taylor Stanley is just a wonder in this. SO fluid, so emotive, so moving. Was it Harrison Ball who originated the pas de deux in the premiere? I missed the depth that dancer brought to it, but Jules Mabie danced the role well. 

Also saw today's Saturday matinee Pieces at an Exhibition/Red Angels/Playtime/Glass Pieces program:

When it was announced Mira would dance in place of Sara Mearns there were some of the loudest "Awwwws" I've heard in that auditorium. But Mira absolutely nailed the part. I think it's one of her best roles now, in how it enables her to show off the range of her gifts: her stunning speed, sharpness, and attack, as well as her melting port de bras and ability to really emote. I was particularly blown away by her in the opening "gnome" solo and then in that creepy section where the male dancer grabs each of three female dancers in turn before forcefully pulling one into a pas de deux. Mira and Andy made it edge-of-your-seat gripping today. I thought yesterday and today that Tiler really seems to be BACK now from her injury; it's a joy to see her playing with her tempo and dancing full out again.

Gerrity and Riccardo looked great in Red Angels, as did Taylor Stanley. And I think this will be a great role for India Bradley in time: she CAN be sharp and fast and has such long beautiful lines, but she looked a bit tentative today. I wanted to see her using her whole body more fully, particularly her neck and head.

In Playtime, Olivia Bell stood out to me. She looked jazzy, free, fun, perfectly nailing the spirit of the score. This piece is certainly is still driving ticket sales, the house looked fuller today than for any other performance I've been to this season.

Glass Pieces is always a joy. The first section made a great case for it being time for Dominika to move out of the corps: she was noticeably dancing on another level than the other two corps members she was leading that section with. Ava Sautter and Aaron Sanz led the Facades section.  This was my first time seeing her featured so prominently. I saw the potential I've seen others comment on here but found that she wavered in her ability to really hold my eye. At points she was captivating and at other moments I wanted to see her adding more color and emphasis.

Posted (edited)

Just a few thought’s on last night’s performance — this is the second time I’ve seen this program — I hesitated on commenting on the first night as it was the first time they were doing the program — and while very good, it had an air of “practice” to it:

1) Pulcinella Variations — this ballet has grown on me, and with each viewing I like and enjoy it more — and it helped that I thought this was the best danced PV I’ve seen so far.  ALL the dancers cast seem to be on a roll this season — blooming at the right time — and what fragrance they are capable of giving off.  All of them deserve a shout out — Meaghan, Emilie, MT, Preston, Miriam, Unity, Andres, Harrison — all of them were extra wonderful — but the most fragrant bloom was Anthony.

2)Symphony in 3 Movements — such a treat to be able to sit close and listen to the music and to see the choreography unfold — it’s all unimaginably unexpected and joy producing — it’s the epitome of creative genius!  Emma and KJ came out blazing, lighting up the stage.  But the dancer who was dancing on another level altogether was Ashley — it seemed like this performance tonight was her gift to the dancing gods — and that this ballet was the dancing gods gift to her — it’s one of those very rare performances when a dancer at the right time in their career and with the right dance can communicate all there is about a life given to ballet — all the sacrifices and the heartache as well as the joys and small victories — Artistry.

Edited by deanofdance
21 hours ago, SingerWhoMoves said:

......I also think this may have been my first time seeing anything at NYCB with recorded music!

While there are surely others to recorded music, the most recent ballets that come to mind are Runaway and Times are Racing.

I skipped the Stravinsky program.  I think they do Symphony in Three Movements far too often.  Yes, it is a masterwork.  However, they did it in the winter, and they are doing it again next season.  I do not like the Wheeldon work for SAB.  Pulcinella is enjoyable.

Another work they perform far too often is Glass Pieces.  

I think that much  of the time when people express audible disappointment at an announcement, it’s because of who they aren’t going to see, rather than who they are going to see.  

11 minutes ago, vagansmom said:

deanoddance, Can you please specify which Ashley you're referring to? I don't have a cast list so I don't know whom you're referring to. Thanks!

It must be Ashley Laracey. She was scheduled to dance in Symphony in 3 Movements yesterday, and also she is one of the few who could (MHO) inspire such praise. 

On 5/25/2024 at 2:20 PM, SingerWhoMoves said:

i have never seen Love Letter so am unfamiliar with who dances what but it seems last night Oilivia Bell DID dance Quinn Starner’s role?   I believe it was Olivia who danced the very featured part while Quinn was just in the corps.  Taylor Stanley was just fantastic in this

Here is Quinn Starner in Love Letter. I can't see how she would be confused with Olivia Bell, but I don't know who danced what on the evening in question.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/nycballet/3376620806661087352/

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

Here is Quinn Starner in Love Letter. I can't see how she would be confused with Olivia Bell, but I don't know who danced what on the evening in question.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/nycballet/3376620806661087352/

Yes, I definitely wasn’t confusing  the two. I just want sure which role was Quinn’s.   Quinn definitely didn’t dance that role on Friday eve. She was in one of the tutu costumes and wasn’t featured. 

Edited by SingerWhoMoves

Just a few thoughts on today’s matinee:

1) Interplay — this cast didn’t gel like the first cast — and Mabie and Lauren didn’t have the intense chemistry as Victor and Alston — as a duo and with the group.  It was nice to see Olivia get a role.

2) Other Dances — a treat to see all stars from another team (as I now only see NYCB) — and Gillian and Aran were lovely and dramatic in the beginning — but the dance stayed a bit too monotonous for me, especially with Gillian’s interpretation — which to me was a tad too stately, a tad too “mother of the bride”.  This was my first time seeing Aran Bell — and he’s a dashing, gallant, big dude — just what NYCB needs to partner their taller ballerinas,   And this may come across as sarcastic (ok, maybe it is — just a little), but I really did like the way both Aran and Gillian bowed as a couple at the curtain calls.

3) Year of the Rabbit — the casting was bit off for me — and I’m thinking that perhaps Emily is just too large for the current crop of NYCB men to partner — I don’t really recall her having a wonderful, romantic chemistry with a partner — so she hasn’t acquired the romantic/dramatic versatility of, say, Miriam Miller — who is just as tall.  Even with the wonderful Gilbert as her partner — she appeared too large in proportion to him (or he was too small in proportion to her) and there was little in the way of chemistry. Also, Sara Adams is a fine dancer, who I find more bland than not — and who rarely leaves an impression — and I kept thinking that another dancer should have been cast in her role, specifically Dominika.  No issue with the casting of Rommie Tomasini — who dances with a sparkling energy, as if there’s an extra spotlight just on her when she dances.  

@deanofdance there’s definitely an adjustment to seeing ABT bows in the middle of an NYCB performance!

I’ve been coveting Aran Bell for the tall women of NYCB for a while now but I think this performance of Other Dances cured me. He’s a lovely dancer but yesterday I felt while watching that there’s a musical spark that’s missing. The entire performance felt restrained in a tentative, not purposeful, way. 

Re: Kikta, Gilbert Bolden (who continues to be terrific) is really her only choice — he’s a lot better matched with her than her own husband was on Tuesday. I mentioned after that performance that I think her lack of partners is what’s going to stall her career. I noticed that Naomi Corti is almost identical in height during Gustave Le Grey (the only Tanowitz ballet I like). 

So for tall men currently, you have Bolden who partners: Mearns, Nadon, Kikta

Peter Walker who partners: Nadon, Miriam Miller, probably Unity? 

Does Chun count as tall? Nadon, LeFreniere

Aaron Sanz who is tall and strong but so often hurt, ditto Preston Chamblee

Alec Knight, who is getting some stage time with Unity 

You have Tyler Angle and Andy Veyette at the end of their careers, and are the “strong” guys (not sure how tall Andy is) and a bunch of very tall guys in the corps who are not ready.  Anyway sorry for the ramble but you can understand why Aran Bell was always in the back of my mind!

And the opposite of tall — KJ takahashi looked VERY TIRED in Interplay. I started to wonder if he was dancing injured. He better find the energy Puck next week! 

13 hours ago, deanofdance said:

Just a few thoughts on today’s matinee:

1) Interplay — this cast didn’t gel like the first cast — and Mabie and Lauren didn’t have the intense chemistry as Victor and Alston — as a duo and with the group.  It was nice to see Olivia get a role.

2) Other Dances — a treat to see all stars from another team (as I now only see NYCB) — and Gillian and Aran were lovely and dramatic in the beginning — but the dance stayed a bit too monotonous for me, especially with Gillian’s interpretation — which to me was a tad too stately, a tad too “mother of the bride”.  This was my first time seeing Aran Bell — and he’s a dashing, gallant, big dude — just what NYCB needs to partner their taller ballerinas,   And this may come across as sarcastic (ok, maybe it is — just a little), but I really did like the way both Aran and Gillian bowed as a couple at the curtain calls.

3) Year of the Rabbit — the casting was bit off for me — and I’m thinking that perhaps Emily is just too large for the current crop of NYCB men to partner — I don’t really recall her having a wonderful, romantic chemistry with a partner — so she hasn’t acquired the romantic/dramatic versatility of, say, Miriam Miller — who is just as tall.  Even with the wonderful Gilbert as her partner — she appeared too large in proportion to him (or he was too small in proportion to her) and there was little in the way of chemistry. Also, Sara Adams is a fine dancer, who I find more bland than not — and who rarely leaves an impression — and I kept thinking that another dancer should have been cast in her role, specifically Dominika.  No issue with the casting of Rommie Tomasini — who dances with a sparkling energy, as if there’s an extra spotlight just on her when she dances.  

Aran Bell usually does not partner Murphy in full length ballets at ABT, so it's difficult to imagine what led to this pairing for other dances.

6 hours ago, abatt said:

Aran Bell usually does not partner Murphy in full length ballets at ABT, so it's difficult to imagine what led to this pairing for other dances.

I was wondering that too. Maybe  because he's one of the younger principals and she's one of the older at ABT (I think when Makarova and Baryshnikov debuted this in the 70s he may still have been in his 20s and she in her late 30s or 40s; am not sure). In any event, I went because I like Aran Bell and he didn't seem to be scheduled for much this summer when ABT first announced casting --though I did get a ticket to see him partner promising young Chloe Misseldine in Swan Lake) and also because  I like Gillian Murphy, who must be at least 44 or 45 and I likely will not go to her farewell performance whenever she finally retires from ABT. To be honest,  I think I liked her better 10 or 12 years ago.

12 hours ago, Marta said:

@Mary Mellowdew Makarova was 36 and Baryshnikov was 28 in 1976.  How I would have loved to see them in Other Dances!

Both were TRULY in their prime. There must be a good film of Baryshnikov and Makarova because I can’t imagine I saw them in person.

I thought Murphy and Bell were lovely in this and so different from NYCB. It seemed more courtly. The bows in the middle of the piece seemed emphasized. One barely noticed them with Peck and Mejia. It was more like a hand off - ok, your turn rather than -and now, my esteemed colleague.

When Makarova and Baryshnikov danced it, the folk dance elements came out more. I always had the feeling they knew exactly which Polish or Russian folk dance was being referenced, and even which national dress the folk dancers would have worn. 

Other Dances has never struck me as a love duet. Originally it seemed to borrow its meaning from the two original dancers; two expats, two exiles recalling the culture of their former lives. There’s a wistfulness to it. It’s always interesting to me to see what other casts can make of that. Where they find the drama and the subtext.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, abatt said:

If anyone is aware of a clip or entire performance of Other Dances by its originators please post.  It would be greatly appreciated. 

In about 1980, there was a Dance in America program with Other Dances and also Calcium Light Night (Martins' first). 

Very poor video quality, but it's the complete performance. I think this was filmed at the Peter Jay Sharpe theater at SAB.

The program included a coaching session with Robbins:

More of the rehearsal:

Edited by California
Posted (edited)

Thank you both! 

Was anyone at Midsummer? At the rehearsal today there was a Repertory Director that I didn't recognize. It wasn't Deena Abergel, or Arch Higgins. Not Kathleen Tracy, Glenn Keenan. or Lisa Jackson. I don't think Rebecca Krohn was there, and this wasn't her either. It was another woman, she seemed about the same generation as Wendy Whelan, who lead her to the orchestra mid-rehearsal. She has shoulder length brown hair and looks to be post-menopausal.

Susan Pilarre was rehearsing the company in Symphony in 3 movements earlier this season. Rosemary Dunleavy doesn't seem to be around at all. I hope she's not ill. 

Edited by BalanchineFan
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

When Makarova and Baryshnikov danced it, the folk dance elements came out more. I always had the feeling they knew exactly which Polish or Russian folk dance was being referenced, and even which national dress the folk dancers would have worn. 

Other Dances is not based on Polish folk dancing any more than Balanchine's Tzigane/Errante is based on Roma folk dancing. It isn't based on Russian folk dancing at all. At best it is based on quasi-Polish dancing from 19th-century ballets, in which neither choreography nor costumes were authentic.

Edited by volcanohunter