This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2023-2024 Season

I was at the afternoon performance today, and had a wonderful time. It's a pleasure to see the theater so full (open 4th ring) and the audience so enthusiastic. A few impressions:

Emeralds - I loved Indiana Woodward. She brought a quiet joy and spontaneity to the first solo that was very different from Mira Nadon's more mysterious flavor, that I saw on Thursday. We're lucky to be able to see such different, yet wonderful, approaches. Tyler Angle's partnering of Woodward was beyond beautiful. The lifts floated as if they had no preparation. Unfortunately his solo was of a much, much lower caliber. His jumps were heavy and positions in the air sloppy. He never did more that a double pirouette (and barely). I hate to say it, because his value as a partner is obvious, but it might be time to step aside. The rest of the cast was lovely. Gerrity and Adrian D-W in the walking Pas. Adams, Villarini-Velez, Pollack in the trio. It was nice to see Pollack back on stage. I hope she gets cast more frequently.

Rubies - Kikta was great  in the tall girl role, dancing big with tremendous attack, and an almost towering confidence. Peck and Mejia blew me away. There seems no end to Peck's growth as an artist, The technique goes with out saying. Her musicality and ability to find more , and more in the choreography is a gift to watch. Mejia's dancing was thrilling in his jumps and fun in his characterization, and the connection between the two was an entertaining  mix of competitive/flirtatious/playful.

Diamonds - Joseph Gordon is a joy. His jumps and turns in his solos were both dazzling and pure, and his is partnering beautiful. Beyond that, every moment on stage is elegant, and feels right, from the way he enters for a solo to the way he leads his partner off stage. Unity Phelan was a surprise. I've found her a bit bland at times, and heard that complaint about her performance of Diamonds earlier this week. I didn't feel that way this afternoon. The signature port de bras (one hand behind the head, and the other extended) was especially striking, because she used her back to create the line, not just her arms and head. She filled the music, even in moments of stillness, and created stirring moments. I have to add one note: My husband also enjoyed the performance, but thinks Phelan should spot more when she turns, to make her turns more impressive, more consistent and easier to partner. I don't disagree! (He needed to have that said).

Last observation about Tiler Peck. It looked to me as if her arabesque is moving back to what it was before her terrible injury. I wonder if that's so.

It as a delightful afternoon at the ballet. What a great company!

Edited by vipa

vipa, thank you so much for the report!  I am glad that Unity Phelan had a great day today.  Being from out of town, I haven't had that many opportunities to see her, but I agree with the spotting/turning comment because she seemed to have that issue when I saw her (twice) in Tchai Pas -- both with Gordon and Furlan as her partners.  However, I thought she made a very beautiful and enchantingTitania...seems to be a very good role for her.   I will be in town for the Oct. 11 75th anniversary celebration performance and also the night after for Serenade/Orpheus/Theme + Variations.  I cannot wait to see casting for those.

2 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

vipa, thank you so much for the report! 

I will be in town for the Oct. 11 75th anniversary celebration performance and also the night after for Serenade/Orpheus/Theme + Variations.  I cannot wait to see casting for those.

Thank you, Vipa.  I'll also be in NY seeing the same program except on Oct. 11 and 12.  I'm really eager to know who will be dancing T&V.  I'm hoping Peck and Gordon.  Can't wait either!

Hi all! Just returned from 3rd cast. The place was packed, and in a continuing trend, a notable number of patrons were young/stylish/there to be seen. 

Emeralds -- MIRA. The thing that I am realizing while watching her discover these ballets is that she dances them like they are absolutely natural to her body. This is true for Violin Concerto and Emeralds, two totally different ballets. Second, she shows me things I never noticed before. The beautiful Violette solo, which can come off as "cute" in the wrong hands, is absolutely riveting and internal in Mira's interpretation -- it's about Mira being in the moment, not any showing off at all.  Davide Riccardo was an able partner. Megan Le Crone, in an unfortunate contrast to Nadon, was effortful. Her solo and the walking PDD felt like steps. I've watched her dance for many years, and while she has gifts, it's always this sense of effort that holds me back from being there with her.  ADW danced in place of Aaron Sanz.

Rubies -- WOW EMMA. I mean, wow. She's so precise, so playful, so fast, and dances BIG. She's much better in this role than Lauren Lovette ever was. This is Sterling territory but with more warmth and humor. It's no surprise now that Erica Pereira did not get a second go at this. Emma is principal material, and soon!  Jovani was an absolute delight. There were many cheeky, non-choreographed moments, and frankly, I ate them all up. Christina Clark was just ok. She had the smile pasted on (not great) and is so tall I think that feeling of attack is muted just because her limbs can't move fast enough. It is pretty tough to do this role, I imagine, when another current company member has so quickly claimed it as her own after Tess's retirement.

Diamonds -- There are boys in this ballet -- a redhead who was partnering Naomi Corti in particular -- who look SO young. Chun was very polished, very elegant, a wonderful and handsome lead, but I imagine that Joe Gordon was more impressive in the solos. I was underwhelmed with LaFreniere. This feels miscast? She was secure technically, but there was no perfume. It takes time to inhabit this majestic role, I know. 

Edited by bellawood
3 hours ago, Papagena said:

Olivia Boisson - I hope she has a future as an Emeralds lead. She's been in the company a while though, so not sure what her trajectory will look like in the coming years. I still remember her 'prayer' variation in Coppelia from way back so fondly - absolutely lovely. 

Olivia Boisson didn't dance for a few seasons due to an injury, which must impact one's trajectory. She's only been back a year or two.

I was there again last night to see the all-debut (except for LeCrone) cast again. As he was on Thursday night, Aaron Sanz was out and replaced by Adrian Danchig-Waring. I really love Sanz' tall, elegant dancing and hope he's back soon. 

In Emeralds, Nadon once again was amazing. I've been trying to articulate to myself something about how she relates to the choreography. To me, it's as if she's speaking to herself as she moves, or thinking, or expressing some organic thought as she dances. As if every turn and every little movement of her arm carries the weight of a thought she just had, or is having as she moves. I can't quite get my mind around it, but I think I'm trying to get at what @bellawood said above, it's as if the movement is natural to her body. What an amazing gift Nadon has. I was excited about Davide Riccardo getting a big opportunity in Emeralds. Seeing him in this role twice now, he has all the makings of a danseur noble. But he didn't seem present enough, was perhaps nervous, not taking command of the stage or addressing the audience. Even during the curtain call, while others appeared relieved and joyful, he looked quite subdued. I know he has the talent, maybe with more experience he will gain confidence and authority. I always enjoy the pas de trois. The music is so catchy and the choreography for three is similarly "catchy," it lingers in the mind. India Bradley is wonderfully fluid, has an expressive face and a beautiful smile. With those fluid arms, I wondered if we might see her in the "walking solo" role one day. Mary Thomas MacKinnon again danced with a passion and musicality that I found really moving, and I want to see more of her. 

Rubies -  again, Emma Von Enck danced huge, with verve, wit, and musicality. I love how open she appears onstage, as if she's just delighted to be there with her partner and with us, the audience. As someone said up-thread, more, more, MORE! Jovani Furlan often seems serious and intense, so it was great to see him having fun here. He and Emma had a good rapport. And he looked delightful in the section where he leads the four guys jogging along after him. Dancing with tremendous power, his elevation soaring above the heads (so it seemed) of the other guys, and slyly gesturing toward the audience to let them in on the fun as he led the youngsters down a path he knew they couldn't follow -- all great fun! Christina Clark again, was a fairly subdued Tall Girl who couldn't consistently nail a grand jete or arabesque penche. I have my doubts that she has the right qualities for this role. 

Diamonds -- Chun Wai Chan was beautifully noble. Isabella LaFreniere -- hmmm. In a way I loved it, I find her moving, expansive, and she doesn't have trouble with the choreography. But I kept feeling like something was missing -  some interior quality that she is holding back, something that keeps her from fully unleashing grand expansiveness. Hard to articulate. Somehow the memory of big past performances she's had also color my view of her -- the dicey Sleeping Beauty debut, and the grand excitement of her Chaconne debuts. All adding up to a very talented dancer who is still pulling it all together. 

I can't always get to as many performances, night after night, as I've been able to do with this run of Jewels. (And depending on the programming, don't always have the interest. Looking at next week, I find it so frustrating that they are bringing back Western Symphony and Slaughter on 10th Ave, two pieces that I'm weary of.) Seeing a piece several times, night after night, really helps me get a deeper grasp of its structure and complexities. Looking forward to the matinee and Janzen retirement. 

16 minutes ago, cobweb said:

I can't always get to as many performances, night after night, as I've been able to do with this run of Jewels. (And depending on the programming, don't always have the interest. Looking at next week, I find it so frustrating that they are bringing back Western Symphony and Slaughter on 10th Ave, two pieces that I'm weary of.) Seeing a piece several times, night after night, really helps me get a deeper grasp of its structure and complexities. Looking forward to the matinee and Janzen retirement. 

I feel the same about Western and Slaughter. I can deal with Western if it's a great cast but am skipping out this year because the combination of of Western and Stars & Stripes in one program is a bit heavy on American kitsch for me (I'd be paying exclusively to see The Unanswered Question which is a little snippet of a ballet). 

Slaughter is last on the program so I'm getting cheaper tickets and dropping off after Agon / La Sonnambula if I'm really not in the mood.

23 hours ago, abatt said:

There were no boos on Wed.  My impression from reading her ig is that anyone who is critical of her is a hater.  

My reading is different.  I think that most people can tell the difference between someone who is critical and/or for whom they are not someone else's cup of tea (as she posted), because that's the life of every great dancer, versus people whose words are hateful.

My interpretation is that she was saying something similar to what Coco Gauff said, "To those who thought were putting water in my fire, you really added gas to it."  In my opinion, good for both of them.

Such a lovely and moving performance by Mearns and Janzen for his farewell. You could feel their love and respect for each other, and that they were relishing in the joy of dancing together for the final time. I thought Sara was really going for broke. Janzen danced beautifully and as always, was the perfect noble partner. The section in the pas de deux where she leans back in his arms with one leg up as he spins her around took my breath away. There was a pretty quick celebration onstage — Sara came out first, and then I believe Tess Reichlen, Maria Kowroski, Jon Stafford, and a few others I don't remember. Then after the first 10 or so, everyone came out onstage together to cheer for him and bid him farewell. I also saw Robbie Fairchild, Claire Kretzschmar, and James Whiteside in the lobby. 

The rest of the show was also splendid. Indiana Woodward was beautiful in Emeralds and everyone in Rubies killed it. Mira Nadon was on fire today — her last penche into the wings had me on the edge of my seat. Fairchild was delightful as always. I will say that I thought Emilie Gerrity has a lot of room to grow into her role in Emeralds. I felt that she wasn't very expressive/imaginative today, and was quite tentative. 

1 hour ago, pirouette said:

Others who came out included David Prottas, Andrew Scordato, Craig Halll, Adam Luders, Anthony Huxley.  A couple more, I think, then the crowd.  He also got a cheer from backstage after he exited after his a la seconde turns.  He was clearly very loved in the company.

Edited by KikiRVA

On 9/22/2023 at 3:29 PM, BalanchineFan said:

I thought the pink clad intermission lover was Marika Anderson. I don't have any confirmation, but I thought the woman looked and acted like her.

On 9/22/2023 at 5:15 PM, MarzipanShepherdess said:

Agree, she looked like Marika to me! 

Thanks!

Despite heavy duty rain, it was a lovely afternoon inside the theatre yesterday. The lobby was packed coming in, so much so that they were stopping the inflow into the lobby every so often, letting the "will call" line progress and the lobby clear, before letting in another group of people. Many former dances to be seen. Russell's farewell was fairly brief as retirement celebrations go, but fond and affectionate and well supported by the enthusiastic audience. 

Wonderful performance as well. Indiana Woodward gave an elegant, sophisticated, and richly detailed rendition of the Violette Verdy role in Emeralds. I liked Emilie Gerrity better than I did when I saw her earlier in the week; she looked more relaxed and less tense to me, more soft and gentle. Sara Adams in the pas de trois was, as always, crisp, airy, and charming. It's long been a mystery to me why she is a somewhat underused soloist. 

Mira Nadon ruled Emeralds. Agree with @pirouette that the arabesques penche were riveting. Huxley and Fairchild brought their "A game." I don't love having the portions of Jewels pulled out of context, but now I'm looking forward to seeing Rubies in the spring, since we have three outstanding casts -- Huxley/Fairchild, Peck/Mejia, and Von Enck/Furlan. My only wish is to see Alexa Maxwell too. 

Russell and Sara were beautiful together in Diamonds. When they were taking in audience applause after the pas de deux, Sara looked like she was trying not to cry.

With Janzen retiring, I'm losing hope of seeing Davidsbundlertanze again anytime soon. Much appreciation to him for many lovely performances!

Russell Janzen is such a beautiful dancer. So princely and elegant. He got a huge ovation on the Diamonds entrance and it looked like he was trying not to laugh. They pulled themselves together and dig into the choreography. I think he and Sara had every emotion possible. After the ppd, she was fighting tears (briefly) and mostly he registered joy and relief. The next moment the emotions were switched. 

It still amazes me in Diamonds, how they walk in from opposite corners and end center, so far apart, arms outstretched, just fingers clasping.

I particularly enjoyed seeing Teresa Reichlen and Maria Kowrowski returning for the farewell. Kristen Segin also seems to have a special bond with Russell. 

Edited by BalanchineFan
10 hours ago, cobweb said:

I don't love having the portions of Jewels pulled out of context, but now I'm looking forward to seeing Rubies in the spring, since we have three outstanding casts -- Huxley/Fairchild, Peck/Mejia, and Von Enck/Furlan.

I so agree with this. I would love to see Jewels in its entirety again in the spring, but if I can't have that, I'm delighted that I'll have a chance to see Rubies again given the casts.

Enchanted to have witnessed how appropriately dazzling Balanchine's Jewels is once again in the theater, and stand in agreement with all the positive sentiments expressed above about the dancers in each of the three casts of Rubies and Diamonds this season.

The thrilling performances by Ashley Laracey and Mira Nadon in Emeralds —in their separate roles and different casts, on successive evenings— served to intensify my deep-seated sensitivity to the exceptional beauty of this work. My expectations of Laracey in the Mimi Paul part were sky-high to begin with, and she fulfilled them summarily. On the other hand, while anticipating that she would shine in the Violette Verdy role, Nadon gave two astonishingly beautiful performances that exceeded even my expectations. Although they are at different stages of their careers, the balletic acumen of both these women appears similarly ingrained and inscrutable —they are undoubtedly masterful at communicating to the mind and heart, through their carriage and movement, all the poetry, elegance and mystery that make Emeralds and the art form in general so entrancing.

Indiana Woodward, Emilie Gerrity, Sara Adams and Brittany Pollack are a marvelous quartet of women. The extraordinary beauty of the ballet's final tableau on Saturday afternoon reinforces my regret at having caught the first cast only once. Then again, the company performs Emeralds every so often. Consequently, I appreciate viewing Robert Schumann's "Davidsbündlertänze" in its solitary season run years ago with Russell Janzen.

[I was deeply unhappy that I would miss Ashley Laracey's performances in "The Unanswered Question". On the other hand, I am eager to see her in Orpheus (my presumption is that she will be cast in that ballet). All this is obviously of secondary importance to her well-being.] 

1 hour ago, pirouette said:

Ashley Laracey unfortunately got COVID, per her latest Instagram post. She said she will not be performing this week in The Unanswered Question. I hope she recovers quickly! 

If we have to miss Laracey, I'm glad it is in The Unanswered Question instead of Emeralds.  Her performance in Emeralds was exquisite.

2 hours ago, cobweb said:

Interesting, the casting sheet for this week looks like it was updated yesterday -- it is dated 9/25. But, I don't see any substitutions actually listed, for Laracey or anyone else. 

I was wondering about that too but I think it's to remove the "see the music" program originally scheduled. 

https://nypost.com/2023/09/26/nyc-ballet-keeps-orchestra-in-the-pit-amid-unfair-wages-protest/