This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

American Ballet Theatre 2021-2022 season

6 hours ago, pbl said:

When will they release the casting? Is there some way to get an alert when the casting comes out for Giselle?

Tickets for friends go on sale September 1 and, if the past is any guide, they'll announce casting in time for that. Of course, these are unusual times. Once it's announced, I'll post and I assume others will catch it, too. 

Casting is up:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S 2021 FALL SEASON AT DAVID H. KOCH THEATER, OCTOBER 20-31

BOX OFFICE OPENS SEPTEMBER 8 AT 10:00 A.M.

Casting for American Ballet Theatre’s 2021 Fall season has been announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

Principal Dancers for the 2021 Fall season at the Koch Theater include Joo Won Ahn, Aran Bell, Isabella Boylston, Skylar Brandt, Herman Cornejo, Thomas Forster, Gillian Murphy, Calvin Royal III, Hee Seo, Christine Shevchenko, Cory Stearns, Devon Teuscher, Cassandra Trenary, and James Whiteside.

The 2021 Fall season will open on Wednesday evening, October 20 at 7:30 P.M. with the first of six performances of the full-length production of Giselle. Hee Seo will lead the cast in the title role on opening night, alongside Cory Stearns as Albrecht and Devon Teuscher as Myrta. Cassandra Trenary, Calvin Royal III, and Zhong-Jing Fang will dance these leading roles for the first time at the matinee on Saturday, October 23. Christine Shevchenko will debut as Giselle on Saturday evening, October 23, dancing opposite Aran Bell in his New York debut as Albrecht. On Thursday, October 21, Skylar Brandt will make her New York debut in the title role dancing opposite Herman Cornejo as Albrecht, and Catherine Hurlin will also make her New York debut as Myrta. Thomas Forster will make his New York debut as Albrecht on Friday evening, October 22 dancing opposite Gillian Murphy as Giselle and Katherine Williams as Myrta.

Staged by Kevin McKenzie with choreography after Jean Coralli, Jules Perrot, and Marius Petipa, Giselle is set to music by Adolphe Adam, orchestrated by John Lanchbery, with scenery by Gianni Quaranta, costumes by Anna Anni, and lighting by Jennifer Tipton. The world premiere of Giselle, one of the oldest continually performed ballets, occurred at the Theatre de l’Academie Royale de Musique in Paris on June 28, 1841. The ballet was first presented by ABT (then Ballet Theatre) at the Center Theatre in New York City on January 12, 1940, with choreography by Anton Dolin and scenery and costumes by Lucinda Ballard. The leading roles were danced by Annabelle Lyon and Anton Dolin. ABT’s sixth production, featuring scenery by Gianni Quaranta and costumes by Anna Anni, was created for the film

Dancers, produced in 1987 by Cannon Films. This production’s first public performance was given on March 20, 1987 at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California, with Marianna Tcherkassky as Giselle and Kevin McKenzie as Albrecht. The current staging is by McKenzie, using the Quaranta and Anni designs.

The New York stage premiere of Christopher Rudd’s Touché will highlight American Ballet Theatre’s Fall Gala performance on Tuesday, October 26 at 6:30 P.M. with Calvin Royal III and João Menegussi in the leading roles.

Touché, choreographed by Rudd and set to music by Woodkid (Que Te Mate el Desierto) and Ennio Morricone (Giuseppe Tornatore Suite from Malena) with intimacy direction by Sarah Lozoff, was created in Silver Bay, New York and received its digital World Premiere on November 23, 2020 as part of ABT Today: The Future Starts Now. The New York stage premiere of Touché will be celebrated with two dedicated Pride Nights at the Koch Theater on Wednesday evening, October 27 and Saturday evening, October 30. These special evenings will highlight LGBTQIA+ diversity, equity, and visibility.

American Ballet Theatre’s Fall Gala program will also include the World Premiere of Jessica Lang’s ZigZag set to songs recorded by Tony Bennett, with costumes by Wes Gordon, scenery by Derek McLane, and lighting by Nicole Pierce. Performances of Lauren Lovette’s La Follia Variations and an excerpt of Darrell Grand Moultrie’s Indestructible Light will complete the evening.

Gabe Stone Shayer will debut in Clark Tippet’s Some Assembly Required, dancing opposite Skylar Brandt on Wednesday evening, October 27. Some Assembly Required, choreographed by Clark Tippet, received its World Premiere by American Ballet Theatre in 1989. The pas de deux, created for Amanda McKerrow and John Gardner, is set to music by William Bolcolm, with costumes by Gary Lisz, and lighting by Jennifer Tipton. The ballet is staged for ABT by McKerrow and Gardner.

Thomas Forster will debut as The Friend and James Whiteside will make his debut as The Young Man From the House Opposite in Antony Tudor’s masterwork Pillar of Fire on Friday evening, October 29, dancing opposite Devon Teuscher as Hagar. The season’s first performance of the work on Thursday evening, October 28 will feature Gillian Murphy in the lead role of Hagar. Staged for ABT by Amanda McKerrow and John Gardner, Pillar of Fire is set to music by Arnold Schoenberg (Verklärte Nacht) with scenery and costumes by Robert Perdziola and lighting by Duane Schuler. The ballet was given its World Premiere on April 8, 1942 at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York City.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2021 Fall season, starting at $30, are available beginning (more) Wednesday, September 8 at 10:00 A.M. in person at the Koch Theater box office, by phone by calling 212- 496-0600, and online. Performance-only tickets for ABT’s 2021 Fall Gala on Tuesday evening, October 26 begin at $35. ABT will offer audience members the opportunity to exchange their tickets or receive refunds free of charge up until Noon on the day of the performance during the 2021 Fall season. In addition, ABT will require the following protocol for all audience members attending its performances:

• All audience members must be fully vaccinated. You are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving a second dose in a two-dose vaccine series or two weeks after receiving a single- dose vaccine.

• All audience members must provide in-person proof of vaccination against Covid-19 with a vaccine approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or by the World Health Organization (WHO), and a valid state or government issued photo ID.

• Children under the age of 12, for whom there is no currently available vaccine, are not permitted to attend performances regardless of the vaccination status of their guardian.

Based on CDC and New York State guidelines at the time of performance, additional safety protocols may include proper mask usage, contact tracing survey, limitations on belongings in the David H. Koch Theater, assigned entry times, social distancing, and more. Specific health & safety protocols are determined by the David H. Koch Theater and Studios in its sole discretion and are subject to change. We will continue to consult with medical advisors and monitor CDC and New York City and State guidelines, and these policies may be updated as conditions evolve. American Ballet Theatre will strive to communicate substantial changes to health and safety protocols in advance of performances. Ticket holders should review ABT’s website (www.abt.org) periodically to identify changes impacting one's ability to attend based on individual circumstances. The David H. Koch Theater may, in its sole discretion, refuse to allow admission to any ticket holder who does not comply with the Theater's policies.

The David H. Koch Theater is located at Lincoln Center, Broadway and 63rd Street in New York City. For more information, please visit www.abt.org. Casting and programs to follow.

10 minutes ago, Dale said:

Casting is up:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S 2021 FALL SEASON AT DAVID H. KOCH THEATER, OCTOBER 20-31

BOX OFFICE OPENS SEPTEMBER 8 AT 10:00 A.M.

To see casting for individual performances, you can also go to Calendar and scroll over to October:

https://www.abt.org/performances/master-calendar/

As per email they just sent:

• Donors at the Golden Patron level and above ($2,400/year or $200/month) receive VIP concierge services beginning August 30th, as well as Advance Access to tickets.
  • ABT Members at the Affiliate level and above ($480/year or $40/month) receive Advance Access to tickets beginning on September 1st. 
  • Tickets go on sale to the general public at the Koch Box Office in person, online, and by phone on September 8th at 10:00 AM ET. 
Edited by California

Agree with the above- I’d love to see Forster as Albrecht but wished he was paired with Shevchenko or even Boylston (he had great chemistry with the later in Jane Eyre). I am happy to see that Trenary gets her Giselle debut. Feel bad that Ahn was left out, but one guy wasn’t going to get it. Surprised with Fang’s Myrta debut. Would rather have seen that spot go to McBride or Qiao.

13 minutes ago, Syzygy said:

Did I miss a release about Misty's retirement? I know they keep some of those (weirdly) quiet, but hers seems like one they'd mention. 

Copeland is on the ABT roster; my understanding is that she's not performing in the fall season but is still in the company, and that's not unheard of for higher-profile ABT principals. I think the next Met season will be where to look in order to get a sense of the current state of her technique and her position in the company.

Edited by nanushka

There were some training videos of Copeland posted on YouTube awhile back (maybe late 2019?). I didn't look at them closely, but I recall some people writing on the forum about some visible difficulties she seemed to be having.

Edited by nanushka

Was just looking at casting and Katherine Williams is getting two performances of Myrta.  Due to schedule I think I’m going to catch the Boylston/Whiteside performance.  

does anyone know anything about Williams as a dancer or boylston/whiteside interpretation of Giselle? 

2 hours ago, GB1216 said:

Was just looking at casting and Katherine Williams is getting two performances of Myrta.  Due to schedule I think I’m going to catch the Boylston/Whiteside performance.  

does anyone know anything about Williams as a dancer or boylston/whiteside interpretation of Giselle? 

Sadly, I have not seen Katherine Williams in a featured role but I have taken class with her and she is a beautiful dancer. 

On 8/20/2021 at 12:52 PM, GB1216 said:

The last time I attended an ABT performance was in December 2019, during my annual holiday visit to Costa Mesa for family and three ABT Nutcracker weekend performances.  At the Saturday matinee show, Katie Williams was a standout as one of the Nutcracker's sisters.  Their choreography is not easy, and I often feel the dancers are holding back during the variation, not putting too much of themselves into it.  Not Katie Williams.  She simply didn't make the choreography her own, she absorbed it and lived it.  She moved so easily and swiftly across the stage, the other four dancers (Katie Boren, Brittany DeGrofft, Zhong-Jing Fang, Rachel Richardson) seemed to vanish in plain sight.  I've never seen anyone else perform that variation as well.  Katie Williams needs more opportunities to show just how good she is, and what she can do.  I wouldn't hesitate to attend a performance in which she was featured.

On 8/20/2021 at 12:52 PM, GB1216 said:

I agree with laurel:  I've never seen Williams as Myrtha, but her pointwork and attack as Moyna/Zulma is notable...and she's a real stage animal in most roles.  She's a great bet, whether you're looking for technical or dramatic artistry.

I think the Boylston/Whiteside performance is a very safe bet. At the very least, it will be the most professional performance on the docket:  they're both good technicians and stage artists in their prime with plenty of experience in the role.  Will there be chemistry?  Because they're so technically assured, they bear the brunt of introducing less-experienced dancers to major roles during most seasons:  so, when they dance together, it can sometimes feel a bit too comfortable (presumably because they can actually relax in the hands of another pro).  However, this is the first time I recall them dancing without that other pressure on them:  if they're going to have a dramatically sizzling performance together, this will be it.

Frankly, there's a reason to see every single cast on the schedule. Even the two new casts will reward watching:  Trenary is on her way to being ABT's most dramatically-complex artist since Ferri and Fang in a Romantic ballet is always an event.  Bell is ABT's next major male dancer and Shevchenko received coaching on Giselle at the Mariinsky, as I recall.

Edited by choriamb

We saw Katie Williams in her Met debut of Myrtha a while back{ who can remember when one last saw a live performance}. We thought it was a very impressive debut. Her bourees were so smooth and fast that it look like she was skating, Sorry , i could not describe it more technically. Anyway, i think she deserves to get a major role. soon, i hope.

Edited by bingham
just change the "were" to "one"

I have gotten unusual voice mails and emails in recent days from ABT fund-raisers. They are asking people to renew early and perhaps upgrade their memberships now, as "We have the daunting task of raising $2 million for our Koch season." I'm guessing that they are renting the Koch and are not being co-sponsored by Lincoln Center.  I wonder how bad things are for them financially!

7 hours ago, California said:

"We have the daunting task of raising $2 million for our Koch season." I'm guessing that they are renting the Koch and are not being co-sponsored by Lincoln Center

ABT isn't one of Lincoln Center's Resident Organizations nor are its seasons part of  one of the "Lincoln Center Presents" programs. (LCP programs are things like Mostly Mozart, American Songbook, or Midsummer Night Swing.) Its seasons at the Koch are equivalent to, say, the Paul Taylor Dance Company's or Shen Yun's—i.e., not presented by Lincoln Center.

For the record, here are Lincoln Center's current roster of Resident Organizations:

The Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center
Film Society of Lincoln Center
Jazz at Lincoln Center
Juilliard School
Lincoln Center Theater
Metropolitan Opera
New York City Ballet
New York Philharmonic
New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
School of American Ballet

My daughter (13) and I have tickets to see Shevchenko/Bell/Teuscher in Giselle on Sat Oct 23 8pm. Curious if any of you have observations or thoughts about these dancers' styles, what makes them distinctive, strengths & weaknesses, etc. Also, if anyone else on this list is going and would like to meet at intermission, DM me or reply.

Shevchenko_Christine.jpg?v=1633658564

Bell_Aran.jpg?v=1633658457

Teuscher_Devon.jpg?v=1633658535

I think those are three of ABT's best. Shevchenko is a brilliant technician and artist who reminds me of a Russian ballerina. She has long limbs and flexibility going for her too. Bell is one of the technically cleanest men in the company and has developed into a solid partner as well. This is a great cast. 

A few weeks ago, ABT corps dancer Brittany DeGrofft announced her retirement on Instagram. I'm sad to see her go. I always thought she was a lovely, lyrical dancer. After Covid hit, she often posted about how much she missed dancing and that she couldn't wait to get back on stage with ABT. However, she and her husband, former ABT dancer Patrick Ogle, have relocated to Arizona (where Brittany is originally from). Patrick became a paramedic after leaving ABT, and I see that Brittany has been named the new Artistic Director of the Tucson Regional Ballet and Academy of Ballet. (And Patrick will be a guest instructor.) It's a loss for ABT, but good for her!

https://www.tucsonregionalballet.org/artistic-team/

I don't know if any other dancers have left, but there seem to be a few new (and very young looking) faces in the corps. 

Edited by BalletFan