This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2021-2022 season

Casting update - Tiler Peck and Tyler Angle were replaced in tonight's Act II of Midsummer, and will also be replaced tomorrow.   Replacements are Woodward-Veryette.  (Tyler Angle remains cast as Adrian's replacement with Megan tomorrow.    I was very disappointed by the replacement for Act II, so I left at intermission.  On the way out, I checked the casting board in the lobby to see the changes for tomorrow.

Edited by abatt

Phelan is glorious in this role.  Ball was thoroughly entertaining.  I don't know if I'm just nit-picking, as I've never actually seen Midsummer's.. but I didn't love Maxwell as the butterfly; my eyes are often drawn to legs/feet, and there just wasn't the strength in technique that I saw, for example, to contrast: Pazcoguin, who I thought gave an exceptionally strong performance.  Woodward was lovely, but I think I would have preferred Peck; I felt like a more mature dancer would fit this role better.  Woodward has such a young/baby face look (this isn't an insult, she's young and beautiful!).  

Take my review with a grain of salt, I never danced myself, I've only discovered ballet about 10 years ago.  

23 hours ago, tutu said:

This wasn’t directed to me, but these are such fun questions so I’ll answer.

On 5/27/2022 at 8:43 AM, BalanchineFan said:

What makes you want to watch a dancer? What makes you think they should (or should not) be promoted.

My question was directed at absolutely everyone! And thank you for the terrific replies.

I, too, love Davide Riccardo and am watching closely to see how he develops.  He danced a nice Agon a few weeks back!.  Roman Mejia is a shoo-in for principal and international star of the ballet, imo.  I miss Lydia Wellington and wish her the best in Monte Carlo (or wherever she goes, forever). I also love to see Mira Nadon onstage. She always seems fully in control of what she's doing. Fully realized, fully formed, completely living in the ballets she dances and expanding their possibilities. 

I am thrilled that Amar (and NYCB) have found a way for him to dance tomorrow, in some part of Midsummer and I'm really looking forward to it.

This season has seemed like a changing of the guard for NYCB. With Reichlen's retirement (following Kowroski, Lovette, et al), Bouder's injury, Mearns partial absence, and Hyltin's announced retirement there have been a lot of opportunities for "next generation" women. It's been exciting to see what that means more precisely. Who is ready to take on which roles, and how they have fared. NYCB has always had an abundance of talent, a deep bench as some say, and a willingness to throw youngsters into the spotlight. The time is full of possibilities.

3 hours ago, Balletwannabe said:

I don't know if I'm just nit-picking, as I've never actually seen Midsummer's.. but I didn't love Maxwell as the butterfly; my eyes are often drawn to legs/feet, and there just wasn't the strength in technique that I saw, for example, to contrast: Pazcoguin, who I thought gave an exceptionally strong performance.

I also thought Maxwell's dancing was unusually off. I believe she said in an Instagram story (now expired) that she had previously sustained a tear to either her leg or foot while dancing that role, so that could explain it.

Edited by claireasday

I absolutely love A Midsummer Night's Dream so I couldn't resist going again yesterday to see some different casting. Another wonderful performance. I especially loved the quarreling-lover foursome of LaFreniere, Walker, Laracey, and Sanz. It was great to see Ashley Laracey back in the final days of the season, she is looking fluid and lovely. Peter Walker and Aaron Sanz were both wonderfully comic. I was giggling at their goofy facial expressions as they keeled over after sniffing the magic flower. It has been heartening to see the development of these two tall men over the past few years, with Walker especially growing into a very dynamic presence onstage. Isabella LaFreniere dances so large that Helena made an impact like I've never noticed before. 

Megan Fairchild and Tyler Angle did the divertissement. Megan Fairchild is looking beautiful. She radiates the maturity of her years, and the years have been very kind to her. She has polish, control, and authority. I admire her for persevering despite much criticism earlier in her career (I may have been one of the naysayers), and coming out with so much grace and elegance. I look forward to her continued presence on the stage. 

This cast also featured Emilie Gerrity, Daniel Ulbricht, and Troy Schumacher. All very good, but I still have the sublime Huxley-Phelan-Ball cast on my mind. Ashley Hod was a large, strong Hippolyta but I hope she can develop a more interesting presence, besides just looking like Ashley Hod. Also, minor note, Bottom left a piece of hay (or whatever) on the stage as he was led off by Titania, alarming me as the next scene has a ton of people crisscrossing the stage in heavy fog, but it was retrieved, in a movement of astonishing precision and quickness, by one of HIppolyta's hounds. 

Finally, the music is just so beautiful. My partner, a musician, said that the French horn player had some issues, but I was blissfully unaware and left the theatre on a cloud of heavenly singing. 

I thought Maxwell did better than Segin with Butterfly. Segin didn't have control when she rotated at time.  Claire Von Enck was origianlly cast as Butterfly for some shows, but she has been out for the entire run.

I went last night, my second time seeing AMND in a week.  Similarly to cobweb, I wanted to see a different cast than the matinee on May 21. And I adore this ballet. It shows Balanchine’s genius not only in exquisite choreography, but also in distilling a complicated story into something very understandable, even to a child or an adult not familiar with the plot. And it’s so satisfying to see beauty and innocence exalted and also the resolution of messy complications. Especially today, when the world is a mess.  Titania and Bottom always bring tears to my eyes through my laughter. 
The cast was sublime. After a start that was a little bit shaky, Miriam Miller was a gorgeous Titania. And Hurley’s Oberon was perfect—the delicacy of his form makes my jaw drop. I loved Mejia as Puck (of course!), and he was a contrast to Stanley’s equally wonderful interpretation last week.  I had hoped to see Tiler and Tyler in the divertissement, but with Tiler Peck sick, I must say I wasn’t disappointed in the least with seeing Woodward and Veyette. Indiana’s gracefulness and delicacy has only blossomed. And Veyette has really proved to be a warhorse this week. The lovers were excellent too. I hadn’t realized until last night that this was Andrew Scordato’s final performance—his playful extra bows brought lots of applause. He and Sara Adams seemed to revel in each moment.  What a lovely way to go out!

Just got back from Amar's farewell.  This was from start to finish maybe the best performance of MND I have ever seen. Just excellent from everyone, and Harrison Ball was a revelation as Puck. I've never seen him have as much fun on stage. Peter Walker and Aaron Sanz were perfect as the dimwitted Lysander and Demetrius. Unity has really made TItania hers -- and after dancing it 1,000 times this week, I'm not surprised!

As expected, Andy Veyette did the opening sections and Amar came out to dance the PDD. When he entered there was wild applause. He then danced with Sterling so delicately and thoughtfully it brought me to tears. Each moment he danced like he was holding a treasure. The final moment was perfection -- the most gentile transfer from one side to the other, you could see Sterling's center of balance just easing from one side to the other. Incredible. Of course this was her final divert too!

I saw at least two soloists moonlighting in corps roles: Claire Kretschmar as one of Titania's handmaidens, and Harrison Coll in the divert as one of the boys in blue. 

The farewells were numerous. He jumped off the stage to hug Peter Martins in the aisle first thing. Almost every principal dancer was there, and some old faces: Maria, Joaquin, Gonzalo, and Zach Catazaro was also there. I always felt that Amar paid a very steep price for what he did, and I was glad to see him so embraced by his fellow dancers and the crowd. 

Edited by bellawood
14 hours ago, bellawood said:

The farewells were numerous. He jumped off the stage to hug Peter Martins in the aisle first thing. Almost every principal dancer was there, and some old faces: Maria, Joachim, Gonzalo, and Zach Catazaro was also there. I always felt that Amar paid a very steep price for what he did, and I was glad to see him so embraced by his fellow dancers and the crowd. 

The performance was sublime. 

I was in the first ring wondering who Amar was jumping out into the audience to embrace. Glad to know. It was a great farewell performance and the house was, indeed, full of love and admiration, up to the Fifth Ring. He was so warm and full of energy with people, doing dance steps with Ashley Hod and again with Joaquin de Luz and Gonzalo Garcia. He's one of my favorite dancers and will be sorely missed. Marika Molnar (the brilliant Physical Therapist) was the last person to come out after what I'm assuming were Amar's parents.

Edited by BalanchineFan
4 hours ago, Peg said:

I must say I wasn’t disappointed in the least with seeing Woodward and Veyette.

I thought Woodward was absolutely superb in the Midsummer Divertissement.  She was musical, un-mannered, and filled out every phrase with a relaxed ease that looked as natural as breathing. (I've seen Woodward step into a Tiler Peck role a couple of times this season and haven't been disappointed yet.) 

Veyette looked better than he has in an age—much better. I'm not sure I'd have preferred Tyler Angle, to be honest.

Thank you for posting this! I had a ticket for his farewell all year and ended up being out of the country and unable to attend. He has been a longtime favorite of mine and happy to see that he got a great sendoff even with an injury. Through it all, he has had loyal fans and I’m happy today was wonderful for him! He has given us so much over the years and certainly deserves it!

Edited by nycvillager
5 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Amar Ramasar curtain calls:

Wow.  I can't help but think how symbolic this public display of love by Ramasar's peers is, considering how potentially fatal his involvement in the Waterbury/Finlay scandal was.  I'm happy that he was able to fight back, to be re instated in the company and to have a beautiful farewell after 20 years with them.  Quite an atypical story, I say.

Bravo!

I look forward to someone notating who was who at the farewell. I was way way house left, way up front, so I could not see the faces and didn't recognize many of the people who were there for Amar. That was definitely Peter Martins he greeted first in the aisle though.

35 minutes ago, cobweb said:

I look forward to someone notating who was who at the farewell. I was way way house left, way up front, so I could not see the faces and didn't recognize many of the people who were there for Amar. That was definitely Peter Martins he greeted first in the aisle though.

That I recognized:

Besides the NYCB principals, I saw Alexei Ratmansky, Maria Kowroski, Joaquin de Luz, and Zach Catazaro. 

All the NYCB principals besides Ashley Bouder, Tiler Peck and Russell Janzen were there (didn't see Russell). 

4 hours ago, canbelto said:

That I recognized:

Besides the NYCB principals, I saw Alexei Ratmansky, Maria Kowroski, Joaquin de Luz, and Zach Catazaro. 

All the NYCB principals besides Ashley Bouder, Tiler Peck and Russell Janzen were there (didn't see Russell). 

I think I saw Justin Peck there as well.

Thank you so much for posting that video of the farewell! I am so sorry I couldn't be there. I'm not seeing anything yet on his Instagram account, but assume that will follow soon.

Any announcements of his plans for the future? He would be such an inspiration, teacher, and coach to young men and boys of limited means and I hope he's able to find an appropriate position. 

The people I recognized in order (with blanks):

Peter Martins (in orchestra seating), Jonathan Stafford, woman in red dress, man in blue suit, woman in purple sweater, woman in black suit with trim (probably his early ballet teacher Olga Kostritsky), Susan Pilarre (white dress w big red flowers), Indiana Woodward, Megan Fairchild, Unity Phelan, Sterling Hyltiin, Maria Kowroski, Alexei Ratmansky, Tyler Angle, Adrian D-W, Joseph Gordon, man in black pants & white shirt (probably a NYCB dancer, Sean Suozzi?), Jared Angle, Daniel Ulbricht, woman in pink dress with Wendy Whelan (white pants), Harrison Ball, Zach Catazaro, Peter Walker, woman in dress, Sebastian Villarini-Velez (w flag), Megan LeCrone, Chun Wai Chan, Justin Peck, woman, J-P Frohlich, Ashley Laracey and Troy Schumacher, Jovani Furlan, Preston Chamblee & Emily Kikta & Isabelle LaFreniere, Emilie Gerrity, Ashley Hod, Kathleen Tracey & Lisa Jackson, Dena Abergel, woman in white pants/black shirt, Sara Mearns, Andy Veyette, Clotilde Otrano, Gonzalo Garcia & Joaquin DeLuz, Alexa Maxwell, 3 family members, person in black, red headed woman, Marika Molnar (as glitter begins)

Edited by BalanchineFan