This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet 2021-2022 season

Amar Ramasar just posted that he has a partial tear in a tendon, but hopes to recover sufficiently for his retirement performance.

I'll paste in his comment by the photo:

With only 8 days till my farewell performance at @nycballet , this is one of the hardest posts for me to share. I sustained a partial tear in my quadricep tendon during Wednesday night’s “Four Seasons”. I’m heartbroken to miss tonight’s Midsummer Nights Dream, and on May 25th. With all of the support I’m receiving from my amazing medical team, I remain optimistic for my final performance on May 29th with @shyltin . Thank you to @jovani.furlan for filling in, and Merde for your debut in this special pas de deux. I know you will be glorious. Also, thanks to all my colleagues, friends, and family for the prayers and love. I believe all of this love will give me the strength to keep pushing for this moment of appreciation and gratitude 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd0nGMbOVhl/

9 hours ago, JuliaJ said:

I'm thrilled to see Anthony Huxley in literally anything so seeing him in Piano Pieces AND Spring was a double treat. He and Hyltin are well matched in size and style, it's odd they haven't danced much together (Mozartiana but that might be it?).

They did some beautiful performances of Duo Concertant and Scotch Symphony together.

Tonight's performance of Midsummer Night's Dream was absolutely wonderful. Never has Unity Phelan looked more beautiful, and that's saying something. I also don't think I've ever seen Harrison Ball dance better; he is perfect as Puck. The music is so beautiful. I was tearing up throughout, I was so glad to be there and it was all so beautiful. Thanks to all. 

Cobweb, I was at the Saturday matinee and experienced the same joy.  Such a magnificent performance all around.  A little after 2, Jonathan Stafford came out in front of the curtain and told us that due to all the last minute casting changes, the company needed a little more time to bring us this beautiful production.  Didn't know quite what to expect, but the delay was short and there were no further casting changes beyond what I already knew about and what was printed in the program (except I think I saw Alexa Maxwell make a surprise appearance in the "Divertissement" corps-- can anyone verify that?). Everything went smoothly from there.  Unity Phelan was glorious as Titania in what  I believe was her debut moved up by one performance, and Taylor Stanley was a mesmerizing Puck.  Of course, I would love to have seen Ball in this role too.  And a special shout out to the children in the production who are so beautifully rehearsed by Dena Abergel and (I think) Arch Higgins.

10 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

Taylor Stanley was a mesmerizing Puck

I would love to see Taylor Stanley's Puck. Disappointed he will not be doing it next week - Puck next week is a rotating cast of Ball, Mejia, and Schumacher. Given all the changes, wouldn't be surprised if he might be put in at the last minute. If anyone notices this, please post (since they have abandoned updating the casting sheets). And I agree - the children looked beautifully prepared and rehearsed, I find that so heartening to see. Meanwhile, the beautiful music and singing from yesterday linger in my mind, along with the beauty of Unity Phelan's Titania and her retinue of long-legged, gracious, flowy maidens.

Edited by cobweb
punctuation mishap
On 5/20/2022 at 6:18 PM, yukionna4869 said:

Very strange. Megan Fairchild is also recovering from an injury, but she is also currently in Copenhagen, so I don't know whether she'll be dancing next week either. 

I hope Amar will still be able to dance his retirement performance. 

I think all of  Megan Fairchild's Midsummer performances are next week. Please correct me if I'm wrong.  She's not a likely Titania, and they've got enough women for the Divertissement (T. Peck, Sterling Hyltin, etc) to get them through the first weekend. Her IG said she did her first performances back from injury in Copenhagen.

Mira Nadon was aglow in Summer in Four Seasons.  Fully formed, phrasing and sensuality. I went Friday  and also loved LaFreniere and Phelan in Piano Pieces. Peter Walker was great with LaFreniere. He's really bulked out (for him) into a danseur noble type. He was super skinny and (just my opinion) insubstantial looking before. He really inhabits the stage now, and the last moment of their duet when he offers LaFreniere his hand was quite moving. Alec Knight also drew my attention favorably. Lots of changing of the guard. 

I feel so badly for Amar. I have tickets today and to the last performance. I hope he's healthy and can do it safely. He's been dancing so very well.

I wonder if they give any thought to having variety in the principal ranks. One review of Violin Concerto mentioned how Phelan and Laracey are similar (i don't agree, but they're certainly more similar than Mazzo and von Aroldingen). Maybe certain dancers are overlooked for principal because they are too similar to other principals. There was a lot of diversity of style and look during Balanchine's day. You would never confuse one dancer with another, not based on how they looked, not based on how they danced. I think that's a good thing to develop in a company, a way of treating the audience to more.

Still, I vote for Emilie Gerrity, Isabella LaFreniere and (soon) Mira Nadon for principal.

Saturday evenings performance of Midsummer was superb.  The whole production looked well rehearsed and everyone dancing with terrific energy. Ball's Puck danced with wonderful athleticism.  Phelan, Huxley, Walker, Hyltin, Furlan, Pazcoguin all excellent.  The lovers Kretzschmar, Perira, Nelson, Villarini-Velez, committed to the comedy.  Clear but not overdone.  The word that keeps coming to mind is "neat".  Preston Chamblee elegant and noble as Theseus (a role I will always associate with Francisco Moncion).   As noted above the children beautifully prepared and a joy to watch.  And a shout out to Hippolyta's hounds four of whom were apprentices. 

The orchestra played beautifully.

Karinska's recently refurbished costumes are stunning.

A night to cherish.  Thank you New York City Ballet.

A question about the costumes for Demetrius and Lysander. I seem to recall that in the past, the men wore comically silly pageboy wigs. Now it's a little cap similar to the one worn by the man in the divertissement. Does anyone know about this change? 

I look forward to reports from today's matinee.

Phelan is also doing this afternoon's Titania, according to the Lobby casting sheet.  So that's three in a row for Phelan.  I saw her yesterday and Titania is an excellent fit for her.  She was wonderful.  Also loved Mira Nadon in her debut as Helena.  I ended up seeing both the matinee and evening shows on Saturday.  Kikta was great as Hypolita.  Both Act II lead couples were fantastic.  Furlan must be a very quick study.  Terrific debut with S. Hyltin.

As much as I liked Ulbricht as Oberon, Huxley was so much cleaner in his dancing than Ulbricht.  I can't wait to see Mejia next week as Puck.  Frankly,  I see him as a future Oberon, and Takahashi as a future Puck. 

According to the casting   board in the lobby, there are no major changes listed for lead roles next week.  The only change I noticed is that LaFreniere will take Pollack's assignment as Helena.  Those casting sheets, however, had not yet taken account of the Ramasar injury.  (I forgot to look at who will replace Mearns at the final performance.)

I do hope that Joe Gordon will in fact appear as Oberon next week.

Kind of sad that we now have to rely on the lobby casting sheet for info, simply because the company is too lazy to update the online version. 

Edited by abatt
3 hours ago, jerryb said:

You're right cobweb, Demetrius and Lysander did used to wear pageboy wigs.  The last time they did Midsummer pre covid they wore them.  IMHO a change for the better.

Yes, it took me a minute this afternoon but I finally realized the wigs were gone! They did add a certain amount of comedy but adieu. 

As to Amar, it struck me today that perhaps he can do the pdd and someone else — Veyette — could pinch hit for him before and afterwards. The pdd is really just a master class in partnering  with very little jumping or turning. 

Edited by bellawood
1 hour ago, bellawood said:

As to Amar, it struck me today that perhaps he can do the pdd and someone else — Veyette — could pinch hit for him before and afterwards. The pdd is really just a master class in partnering  with very little jumping or turning.

Great idea bellawood... and hopefully already under consideration. But let's put someone besides Veyette in there. When I saw him in Fall in Four Seasons, not looking so great. Maybe Furlan, he was beautiful with Sterling Hyltin last night. 

On 5/22/2022 at 2:05 PM, abatt said:

Kind of sad that we now have to rely on the lobby casting sheet for info, simply because the company is too lazy to update the online version. 

NYCB furloughed A LOT of people during the pandemic and my guess is that some of them ran the online casting sheet. Depending on how it's set up, it might not be easy to update, or the people work by the hour, or the contract didn't take multiple changes into account, and what with all the changes due to Covid and injury I'm sure they're doing the best they can. Laziness? Really? They need one of those boards, like Broadway shows, where you slip in a plank with the understudy's name on it.

I myself have a website that cannot easily be updated. I could make a new one, of course, but it's been several years of me waiting to have the time. 

22 hours ago, cobweb said:

Great idea bellawood... and hopefully already under consideration. But let's put someone besides Veyette in there. When I saw him in Fall in Four Seasons, not looking so great. Maybe Furlan, he was beautiful with Sterling Hyltin last night. 

I saw Veyette on Sunday in Midsummer, soft landings to all his jumps, clean turns. He looks better than ever to me.

Balanchine fan, I agree.  Saw Veyette Saturday afternoon in the Midsummer Divertissement, as well as Tuesday night in Four Seasons.  There may be a tiny bit of prejudice here because he (and his two brothers) danced at my daughters' studio in Los Angeles way back in the day.  But, what I saw both times was lovely partnering and a true enjoyment of dancing and being on stage in this moment.  It seemed to me that he knew everything wasn't perfect, but that wasn't going to get in the way of giving the audience a great performance, or having one himself.  

As a visitor from Texas, I saw three performances over the course of the week, not just one as planned.  Bad luck turned into good luck and it a long  (travel related) story with a happy ending. Just a few observations beyond what I've already posted....Roman was fantastic as the "master of ceremonies" in "Piano Pieces" on Tuesday night, but I was swept away with the grace, precision and refinement of Anthony Huxley in the same role on Friday night.  Chun Wai Chan was a revelation in spring on Tuesday night (I just made curtain by about one minute due to my travel travails) but Anthony in the Friday night cast doing double duty delivered again.

In the "June -Barcarolle" section of "Piano Pieces" I felt that Indiana Woodward really was at one with the music. This is the same impression I had of her in "Sonatine" in winter.    And I loved Mira Nadon and Emilie Gerrity in everything.  I'm home now, and a happy camper.

Not only is The Four Seasons a "fun ballet", it is also an enthralling one. (And as Tiler Peck, Roman Mejia and KJ Takahashi demonstrated a ballet that can end on a tremendously exhilarating note.) However, NYCB has not really disregarded it in recent years. Scheduling the seldomly revived Piano Pieces for the upcoming Fall Season instead seems entirely appropriate.

There were two casts for Piano Pieces this season and one witnessed high quality dancing from both. In a previous post I highlighted four sections of the ballet: all the dancers assigned these parts performed superbly. Isabella LaFreniere and Peter Walker, for example, were as captivating in “Reverie" as were Emilie Gerrity and Jovani Furlan earlier in the week. And, although Indiana Woodward is marvelous, I was elated that Unity Phelan danced "June - Barcarolle" in one performance.

After watching NYCB's streams of "The Unanswered Question" and Sofia Coppola's film —undoubtedly two of the most significant out of all the ballet streamed during the pandemic— anytime Anthony Huxley henceforth excels on the stage will carry greater meaning and weight for me. And I couldn't agree more with all the laudatory comments above about his performances in both Piano Pieces and "Spring" of The Four Seasons.

*

All the recent remarks on this thread, including those expressing frustration regarding the abandoned effort to keep the casting list updated, evince love for NYCB, its current crop of dancers, and that divine masterpiece called A Midsummer Night's Dream.

13 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

Balanchine fan, I agree.  Saw Veyette Saturday afternoon in the Midsummer Divertissement, as well as Tuesday night in Four Seasons.  There may be a tiny bit of prejudice here because he (and his two brothers) danced at my daughters' studio in Los Angeles way back in the day.  But, what I saw both times was lovely partnering and a true enjoyment of dancing and being on stage in this moment.  It seemed to me that he knew everything wasn't perfect, but that wasn't going to get in the way of giving the audience a great performance, or having one himself.  

I felt very lucky to see Midsummer on Sunday.  It was total magic.  I hadn't seen Veyette this season until then, but while he is certainly not in his prime for the showy stuff, he seemed to be a super-solid partner for Woodward, and their PDD was glorious.  She appeared to be totally comfortable, able to move with abandon.  I was sad to miss Friday evening's performance due to a flight cancellation.  I hope Piano Pieces comes back soon!

[Admin beanie on]

In the past week I've gotten over a dozen reports, emails, and DMs to say that either a reference to a dancer's social media (in general) or specific platform post did not say what was reported here.  Or someone questions it on the board.

Our official news policies haven't changed:  for public-facing/non-private social media posts, we require a link, and we'll remove posts (and replies) without one.  For Instagram and other "stories", please be accurate.  We will give you the benefit of the doubt -- we have day jobs and can't drop everything to follow up -- ut we will continue to remove posts/replies that include information not actually included in those stories.

[Admin beanie off]

I guess the only factual info re Joe Gordon is that he was removed from his scheduled assignments in Piano Pieces last week.

If anyone passes by the lobby casting board on Tuesday, please post whether Gordon is still listed for his Oberon assignments for this week.   Also, please advise whether they are still listing Ramasar for the Act II Divert. Thanks.

Edited by abatt
Just now, BalanchineFan said:

I have to say that I am enthralled by Indiana Woodward and Harrison Coll all the more knowing they had to move out of NYC and in with her family during the pandemic. 

Many, many people moved out of NYC during the pandemic.  There isn't anything unusual about what Woodward and Coll did.  No sense in paying exorbitant rents while not earning an income.  There was such a large exodus that rent rates in Manhattan dropped significantly during the pandemic.  Now people have returned and the rents are back up to their prior extremely high levels in Manhattan.

1 hour ago, abatt said:

Many, many people moved out of NYC during the pandemic.  There isn't anything unusual about what Woodward and Coll did.  No sense in paying exorbitant rents while not earning an income.  There was such a large exodus that rent rates in Manhattan dropped significantly during the pandemic.  Now people have returned and the rents are back up to their prior extremely high levels in Manhattan.

Well, for the record, I think highly of everyone who had to do that and is now back succeeding in their chosen profession, unusual or not. I also think everything about the pandemic is unusual.

Oberon — Lobby casting sheet dated 5/24

Tuesday - Huxley

wednesday - Ulbricht replaces Gordon

Thursday- Mejia (debut) replaces Gordon 

friday - Huxley 

sat mat - Ulbricht

sat eve - Huxley replaces Gordon

sunday mat - Ulbricht, also Phelan replaces Mearns