111 replies to this topic

#16 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:42 AM

What a feather in the cap of Kochetkova. I guess that the Bolshoi must be angry that it did not offer her a job upon graduation from their affiliated school 11-12 yrs ago...just as they missed the boat with Malakhov a few years earlier.

#17 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

I would say Ms. Kochetkova is "a" star of SFB: Lorena Feijoo is another.

She is phenomenal.

LOL  ;)

Yes, she's one of a number of dancers the SF fans couldn't bear to lose, and there is some angst building with Masha constantly making special appearances. But we shall see.

What a feather in the cap of Kochetkova. I guess that the Bolshoi must be angry that it did not offer her a job upon graduation from their affiliated school 11-12 yrs ago...just as they missed the boat with Malakhov a few years earlier.

And the Royal Ballet and ENB obviously didn't do enough to try to keep her.

Dance Magazine Tweet:

There are now 2 chances to see @balletrusse (Maria Kochetkova) dance with @ABTBallet: she replaces Cojocaru as Cornejo's partner in Swan Lake & Sleeping Beauty (Wednesday, July 3rd).

#18 tutu

tutu

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:00 AM

Last night's Semionova / Hallberg performance was a triumph—and let's not forget a glittering Marcelo Gomes as von Rothbart!

#19 Rick

Rick

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

Absolutely fascinating to watch Semionova and Hallberg together in Act 2 with their long limbs and poetic phrasing. Gomes was truly magnetic as Von Rothbart in Act 3.

#20 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:20 AM

Semionova was gorgeous. Those super long limbs are remarkable.  Hallberg danced beautifully.  Gomes nearly stole the show.  He had the audience in the palm of his hands.  A spectacular evening.  The house was very full.

#21 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:32 AM

Gomes nearly stole the show.  He had the audience in the palm of his hands.

Most readers of this board probably already know this, but for those who don't: Gomes is purple Rothbart in the ABT Swan Lake on DVD from 2005 (along with Corella and Murphy):

http://www.amazon.co...s=swan lake abt

It's distressing that so few of Gomes' performances are available on DVD.

#22 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

Gomes absolutely owns the role of Purple Rothbart. I thought he was almost over the top yesterday, making "knowing" eye contact with the audience, as if to say "here it comes," something that Corella used to do sometimes before he did an eight-turn pirouette. I saw Vasiliev do the same role in the dress rehearsal and it was sadly inferior.

#23 ddsbiggestfan

ddsbiggestfan

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

It was a stunning performance, and an absolutely magical experience from start to finish!

I was particularly thrilled to share it with my 15-year old daughter, who is a serious ballet dancer studying at a company school. She said it was the best dancing she had ever seen, and was literally glowing after the show. We scooted out since we had to drive back to Philadelphia, but she would have stayed for another dozen curtain calls!

#24 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:05 AM

Curtain calls from June 17, thanks to LaKarsavina:

#25 tutu

tutu

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

Gomes nearly stole the show.  He had the audience in the palm of his hands.

Most readers of this board probably already know this, but for those who don't: Gomes is purple Rothbart in the ABT Swan Lake on DVD from 2005 (along with Corella and Murphy):

http://www.amazon.co...s=swan lake abt

It's distressing that so few of Gomes' performances are available on DVD.

The great thing about Gomes' performance, to my mind, was that it wasn't necessarily an effort to "showboat" technically. While Gomes, of course, showed crystalline technique, his character came first. He was downright seductive!

#26 Rick

Rick

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:25 AM

I'm still in the thrall of last night's performance and am thinking of seeing Swan Lake again. Which cast would you recommend? The Kochetkova posts upthread have made me curious but what about Julie Kent's performance on Saturday matinee? I last saw her over 10 years ago.

#27 tutu

tutu

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

Two more things, before I forget: A very nice pas de trois from Lane, Kajiya, and Simkin (who seems to be partnering well with Lane in particular). Kajiya's got quite the jump, doesn't she?

And of course, a shout-out to the women of the corps. I've been attending ABT SLs for years, but I thought the swan princesses' ports de bras were especially lovely last night. 

#28 ddsbiggestfan

ddsbiggestfan

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

Two more things, before I forget: A very nice pas de trois from Lane, Kajiya, and Simkin (who seems to be partnering well with Lane in particular). Kajiya's got quite the jump, doesn't she?

Thank you for mentioning this! It was lovely performance from all three of them. Simkin was very impressive!

#29 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

[Admin sledgehammer in hand]

Officials news only, with source!!!! Rumors and insider info are verboten to post here. If you're thinking of writing a post that begins with "I heard" and it's not followed by "in the press conference," "at a Q&A," "Peter Martins announce from the stage," close your browser window and back slowly away from the keyboard.

[Admin slegehammer back in cabinet, but the cabinet is not locked]

#30 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:41 AM

I love how Gomes (and the corps) stay in character for the bows; he was shooting them daggers of evil!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):