This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Fernando BujonesRIP

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:57 AM

The following was forwarded to me via DanceMagazine:

For Immediate Release
>
> Fernando Bujones
>
>
> Fernando Bujones, one of the finest male dancers of the 20th century has passed on after a very brief and unexpected battle with malignant melanoma.
>
> Born in Miami of Cuban parents, Bujones enjoyed an extraordinary performing career. With a meteoric rise, first as a gifted dance student at the Julliard School of Music's world famous School of American Ballet in New York City, then as Principal Dancer with American Ballet Theater, becoming the first American dancer to win the prestigious Gold Medal at the Varna International Ballet Competitions, and lastly as Artistic Director of the Orlando Ballet, Bujones became a living legend in Dance. His success and artistic achievements span over almost three decades and his charismatic presence and incredible technical prowess captivated audiences all over the world.
>
> His name now and forever will be part of Dance history, joining other legendary figures like Vaslav Nijinsky, Rudolph Nureyev, Erik Bruhn and those rare others whose contributions to the world of Dance transcend the ordinary. His art brought so much joy to the millions of people who saw him dance. He has motivated and inspired young generations of dancers all over the world. His personal warmth and passionate spirit transcended the dance world and uplifted all those who had the opportunity to know the man.
>
> He is survived by his wife Maria Bujones, daughter Alejandra K. Bujones, his mother Mary Calleiro, sister and long-time coach Zeida Cecilia Mendez, father Fernando Bujones Sr., half-brother Manny Bujones, half-sisters Susi and Annette Bujones. A funeral service will be held in Miami, Florida, the city where he was born.

#2 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:42 AM

This is heart-breaking. May perpetual light shine upon him.

#3 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:09 AM

Somehow....I thought he'd beat it......

He gave us all so much.....
I am so sorry.

#4 zerbinetta

zerbinetta

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:12 AM

Pace darling Fernando.

And thank you.

#5 tango49

tango49

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:25 AM

Such a sad day for his family, friends and for those who's lives he touched with his kindness and his passion. May his light shine bright in heaven. Peace to you Fernando forever and always. For those who knew you, our hearts are broken today. Tango

#6 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:36 PM

This is indeed a sad loss. May he rest in peace.

#7 klingsor

klingsor

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 02:01 PM

Thank you Fernando. You made me smile. No easy task.

RIP

#8 Joseph

Joseph

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 02:03 PM

Very very sad news... My best to his family and friends. He was dancing in Boston when I was there as a student at the BBSchool. I am fortunate to have been in his presence during Don Q and Sleeping Beauty back in 1993. He is a definite inspiration for any aspiring male dancer.

#9 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 03:47 PM

What a shock! Sympathies to his family. I saw him in his prime. His partnership with Cynthia Gregory was a marvel to behold; like dueling banjoes they brought out the best in each other, reveling in every moment, as did we.

Giannina

#10 leibling

leibling

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 03:52 PM

It seems like only yesterday I was looking at pictures of Bujones and Cynthia Gregory in Dancemagazine in Black Swan. I only met him once, but I guess his name was ingrained in my mind, being an icon of classical ballet from my childhood. How fast it all seems to go...

#11 Alina

Alina

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 07:27 PM

I put this on the other link but I am so saddened especially for Maria and his family I am repeating my post here. I was dancing with Boston Ballet when Fernando met Maria. Their relationship was truly a great love story. Two people meant for each other. My heart goes out to her-so soon and young to lose the love of your life. The same to his daughter that he loved dearly. Dad should be there to see you graduate, marry, have his grandchildren. Seems so unfair, tragic, and unexplainable. It is a huge loss to the dance world and a monumental one for his family. We as his dance family shall never forget all he has contributed.

#12 sz

sz

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 06:48 AM

Fernando was my first ballet partner and my first beau, childhood sweetheart, while at SAB.

Those who knew him and/or ever had the pleasure of dancing with Fernando, will never forget how elegantly beautiful his style was. Fernando's regal, Cuban, princely, pride made his brilliant technique and lines of perfection so fascinating and heart wrenching to watch. Lines, lines, lines... Fernando could not make a bad one if he tried! His turns, beats, and jumps made your jaw drop to the floor. But we will most remember Fernando for his refinement and pure physical, classical beauty. He was born to be a ballet's cavalier!

#13 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:02 AM

Very, very sad.

Here is the link to the NYTimes obit:
http://www.nytimes.c...X ITdP35nsCgPdw

If it doesn't work, just go to NYTimes.com >arts >all headlines and it should be there.

#14 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 09:23 AM

"Good night, sweet Prince, and flights of angels
sing thee to thy rest"

#15 Brioche

Brioche

Inactive Member

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:53 AM

So sad, so very sad.

I have so many memories of his performances here in San Francicso. One was the Third Act - Shades scene - from La Bayadere - in the days when only that act was done. He partnered Gelsey Kirkland that afternoon. Can you imagine? I don't recall him partnering her in anything else while they were here - we knew at the time how lucky we were. And I'm reminded again in this time of sadness.

My heart and prayers go out to his family.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):