This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT does not see Gabe Shayer as he sees himself

I think this young man is suffering from a case of selective outrage. He's pissed at ABT for what he perceives as racism but thinks that Russia is some sort of racial utopia? Russia, the country that defiantly told Western critics to eff-off when Russian ballet companies were criticized for still using blackface? A country with a storied ballet academy with world-class teachers that nonetheless  told Precious Adams that she would have been cast in more roles during graduation performances,  if she wasn't so dark?  THAT country?

And even though France gave refuge  to black artists like James Baldwin, Nina Simone and Josephine Baker, they hardly have a spotless record when it comes to issues of race or particularly, issues of race in ballet. Paris Opera Ballet despite their constant embrace of new works,  was shockingly  slow to part with old "traditions" that have no place in today's society. Many of the powers-that-be felt that getting rid of blackface was just adhering to annoying and alien "woke" American  ideology. And even some of the dancers sounded like they were straight outta the 1950's when talking about racial diversity.

For example, Mathias Heymann said that black women were problematic because they stand out too  much in the corps. I adore this man as a dancer, but that's heartbreaking to hear coming from him and to hear similar sentiments expressed by other veteran POB dancers.  Yet according to Gabe, Paris is some artistic nirvana, 

Mr. Shayer's hardly the first dancer of ANY color to feel that he or she isn't sufficiently appreciated by his company for their talent and hard work. But if he's so insulted by his treatment at ABT, why doesn't he quit? Surely someone as talented as he seems to think he is, would find work quickly. Yet he stays and complains publicly. 

He also subtly implies that other black dancers at ABT are Uncle Toms because they aren't  outraged at black programming like he is. 

I'm no apologist for ABT but I know enough about the world to know that even when they have the very best of intentions,  NO ballet company has this color diversity thing all figured out. In fact, it's still up for debate amongst SOME ballet people as to the very value of racial diversity in companies.  And these folks state that merit should be the only thing that matters, as if there was no subjectivity in an ART FORM like ballet where people may or may not be hired because they are tall, short, good jumpers,  musical, have a body type that the AD favors or big, articulate, feet. 

ABT and even City Ballet seem to be making good faith efforts to increase minority enrollment in their schools even when it comes to those " problematic black females.   And I honestly don't see students bothering to attend if they think their chances of completing their training, entering the company and advancing are zero because of their color. 

I never quite understood what the black professional dancers from predominately white companies who gather for the Theresa Ruth Howard directed Mobballet symposiums got out of it. Hadn't they reached their goal of mastering and getting hired to perform in an artform that they loved against all the odds? Wasn't that enough?   But after hearing many of them talk about it being one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives,  I understood. 

Many had gone through years and years of training and then years of professional dancing during which they were the ONLY black person around. (Most Black dancers DON'T train at the DTH, Collage or Ballet Black schools.)   Even if you love something desperately,  even if you have a firm sense of self, and even if you have no interest in being thought of as a "black dancer",  being the only black person  can sometimes make you feel very isolated.  So meeting other people who share your passion,  and who've had similar experiences, can be quite comforting. And dancing pieces with other black artists can give them a real feeling of belonging that energizes them when they return to their companies. 

This is more common that you might think. Even the wonderous Guillaume Diop from supposedly "non color-obsessed" France, spoke movingly about how comforting it felt to  attend an Alvin Ailey school  ballet summer intensive when he was training. He said that he surprised himself with how much he enjoyed being around black ballet  people who by their very existence,  helped to vanquish any feelings that he didn't belong.

For those people who say they are so self-assured and free from seeing color that they don't need to see black dancers or creations  in ballet  for encouragement, I say, " Good for you. But not everyone is Superman. In fact, most of us aren't. And we aren't weak in wanting to see and acknowledge black representation.  

So Shayer just doesn't get it. His fellow black dancers who embraced a black ballet creation,  weren't ghettoizing the art, they were  expanding it. Because they enjoyed dancing in a  piece by a black dancemaker doesn't mean they were rejecting classical ballet or allowing themselves to be put in a box. If they were, why would they be dancing for a mostly white company? 

Edited by Tapfan
4 minutes ago, California said:

Apologies for an extremely trivial matter that I noticed: The NY Times spells ABT American Ballet Theater instead of the company's own American Ballet Theatre -- in the header, editor's note, and text. I found the same thing in several other articles in recent weeks on ABT. I assume the Times finds the spelling "theatre" pretentious and incorrect in the US, but it's a proper name! 

Yes, this has long been their house style and I have always found it really annoying. I agree that proper names should be respected and given accurately.

Edited by nanushka
3 hours ago, vipa said:

I agree with everyone's statements that the piece is highly flawed, and there is no need for me to restate what others have said so well. The interesting thing is that the New York Times chose to print it. Many people in many fields feel misunderstood but they don't get published in the Times. Clearly someone at the Times thought this point of view would draw interest.

I also agree with the opinions here. One of my first reactions as I began to read the article was "I wonder why the NYT is publishing this."  It's very unfortunate and I doubt that it will help him at ABT.  He clearly wants to be Siegfried, Albrecht, Solor, Prince Desire.

40 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Yes, this has long been their house style and I have always found it really annoying. I agree that proper names should be respected and given accurately.

Yes, it's just NYT style to use American spelling. The UK's National Theatre becomes the National Theater on its pages. Though it did make an exception for Wheeldon's Mercurial Manoeuvres.

One afternoon years ago, when they were new dancers in the ABT corps de ballet, I happened to be standing at the box office at the Met Opera House when Jonathan Klein and Gabe Stone Shayer dashed past me, running through the lobby and out the front doors, laughing and enjoying a fun moment as they raced through the plaza.  They were cheerful and giddy, and looked to me like they were the cutest boys in school, and at that moment I decided to follow both their trajectories at ABT.

While Klein hasn’t had the training, experience or the same opportunities as Gabe Shayer, he takes whatever he is given and uses it.  Whether it’s a small bit in the corps or a featured role in a Ratmansky ballet, he performs with energy, skill and dedication (though I still think he could use some finesse).  But even in a tiny role, you always notice him on stage with his enormous energy.  He’s been missed this spring, and I’m looking forward to seeing him as Mercutio in a couple of weeks.

Unfortunately, Gabe Shayer has been a continued disappointment, in performance after performance.  I’ve grown weary after years of watching his sloppy, careless dancing, in role after role in the Nutcracker, as Blue Bird in Sleeping Beauty, or as Ariel in Ratmansky’s Tempest - a role made on Daniil Simkin, which he might have attempted to make his own if he’d tried, but which came to nothing in the end.  It’s difficult to understand how someone with his solid background could toss away good roles because he felt they were too small, insulting, or some other irrelevant excuse.  He seems to have some serious emotional and identity issues which he’s equated with the dance roles he’s been given.  Calling Harlequin a “comic court servant” with a “shuck and jive” is an indication to me that Gabe either doesn’t understand or doesn’t want to understand the essential nature of the performing art he’s chosen as his own, and has closed his mind to the endless possibilities with which performance might free him.  Harlequin is the people’s hero, the people’s knight, is smarter and braver than anyone else, and even has a supernatural being on his side.  If Gabe had used some imagination, he could have played him as a rebel leader.  But Gabe’s own issues have trapped him in a personal humiliation from which he’s still unable to free himself.

Shayer won numerous competitions, multiple scholarships, and received excellent training when young.  Five years ago, he invited Skylar Brandt to join him in Moscow for extra coaching at the Bolshoi, and even without a knowledge of the language, you could see via Brandt’s Instagram videos how much better she was at absorbing the lessons she was receiving than he was (they were doing lifts).  It was as if he’d already convinced himself that he wouldn’t be able to do it.  They had a wonderful budding partnership, and it might have gone even further if it weren’t for Brandt’s immense drive and work ethic which propelled her way ahead of Gabe.

Gabe’s problems are his own, but ABT’s problems with him can be traced directly back to McKenzie and the ABT Board.  They are fearful people who seem to worry less about box office issues and more about public opinion.  Marcelo Gomes – 1,000 times better a dancer than Gabe Shayer ever could hope to be – was quickly and quietly hustled out the back door of ABT at the first whiff of a scandal, just months after they’d rewarded him with a great celebration of his 20 years with the company.  Personal loyalty doesn’t exist at ABT, only how much positive public good will someone may be able to bring them.  Three years ago Gabe complained on Instagram that he couldn’t get promoted and three months later was rewarded with same.  What changed?  Certainly not his dancing or work habits.  The promotion was the product of fear and shame; Gabe’s public revelation must have terrified ABT management.  It would be almost Shakespearian if it weren’t so preposterous.

Gabe Shayer’s “opinion” item in the Times today is about as depressing a piece as I’ve ever read and yet another indication of this dancer’s self-delusion and self-destruction.  Possibly he feels that this is his only way to express himself and his frustration with the company.  From what I can see, his frustration is born of his own personal problems.  If he feels more comfortable working in Europe, why not return and dance for a company there?  There’s no certainty that ABT will reward him with anything after this.

However, I will say this for Gabe.  He’s always been a stylish guy, and the photo accompanying the article is wonderful.  Maybe this very public piece self-promotion will lead to his hiring a new agent or manager who could get him the kind of work he feels he deserves.  Good luck to him, wherever he may go, but I don’t expect to see him on stage at ABT any time soon.

I think self delusion may be part of the DNA of certain types of performers.  I felt that Bouder's complaints in print and on television that she was perfectly in shape and was being treated unfairly at NYCB because she gained a few pounds was also delusional.  It was clear that she was very out of shape when she came back from a year of injury.  It appears that some dancers simply need to believe so strongly in themselves that they are unable to separate fact from fiction.  This is part of what happened in Gabe's case. 

Re Gomes, he  resigned.  He was not terminated from ABT.  He was outraged that ABT would conduct an investigation of him.  But at that time the MeToo Movement was all the rage, and an employer was required to investigate any allegation that involved even an iota of sexual misconduct.  It is a shame we lost Gomes.

The NY Times frequently publishes response letters.  I hope someone on here submits a rebuttal to Mr. Shayer's letter. 

34 minutes ago, abatt said:

The NY Times frequently publishes response letters.  I hope someone on here submits a rebuttal to Mr. Shayer's letter. 

I would like to see a rebuttal come from Ratmansky. It’s his ballet, Harlequinade, that Shayer slams. Ratmansky not only gave him THAT leading role, but Shayer’s FIRST principal role in his Piano Concerto #1 when he was still in the corps. He later gave him MORE lead roles in The Tempest, Serenade after Plato’s Symposium and Songs of Bukovina. Oh, and let’s not forget the lead in Whipped Cream, The Boy. As the former artist in residence of the company for 13 years, not just a contributing choreographer, and as the former director of the Bolshoi, I think Ratmansky is uniquely positioned to set the record straight. He is also not shy about publicly sharing his opinions, some of which are questionable to say the least, but in this particular situation he may be the best voice to educate Shayer and the public.

7 hours ago, abatt said:

I think self delusion may be part of the DNA of certain types of performers.  I felt that Bouder's complaints in print and on television that she was perfectly in shape and was being treated unfairly at NYCB because she gained a few pounds was also delusional.  It was clear that she was very out of shape when she came back from a year of injury.  It appears that some dancers simply need to believe so strongly in themselves that they are unable to separate fact from fiction.  This is part of what happened in Gabe's case. 

Re Gomes, he  resigned.  He was not terminated from ABT.  He was outraged that ABT would conduct an investigation of him.  But at that time the MeToo Movement was all the rage, and an employer was required to investigate any allegation that involved even an iota of sexual misconduct.  It is a shame we lost Gomes.

an employer was required to investigate any allegation that involved even an iota of sexual misconduct

I trust they still do, otherwise they're risking letting a potentially dangerous situation ferment, resulting in great woe and legal fees. We, or at least I, don't know what the "iota" was in Gomes' case, because he resigned in the middle of the investigation, thus short-circuiting the process even though he was sacrificing a choice position at a company that he could look forward to remaining with after his dancing days were over.  It is possible that outrage was his only motive for resignation, of course, but that would seem to have been an impetuous and unwise decision, in contrast to letting the investigation play out, which could well have resulted in a "nothing to see here."

While I am sure Gabe Thayer has experienced racism, citing how Nina Simone missed out on a classical career without mentioning her towering contribution to popular music and her activism, came at the end of a long line of myopic, poorly judged points in this article. I wish someone would write something fabulous and paradigm shifting about racism at ABT and in ballet in general. Gabe Shayer will not be the one.

I say this as a Black woman, as someone who lived and danced professionally in several foreign countries, as someone who studied ballet and wasn't just miscast, but was treated as invisible as people took my money for class.

It does make me want to cross the plaza to see Taylor Stanley in Kyle Abraham's The Runaway, again. Or his Apollo.

And I have to mention, asking to be cast as The Prince while photographed in knee length blonde braids? He's not making it easy for anyone.

Two things I must mention.  Gabe was a guest bartender on "See What Happens Live with Andy Cohen" I think this past Wednesday night.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvM_m1sAT2y/?img_index=1

He also has not been rehired by American Ballet Theater and is "retired".  He states he was not informed by the company but read it in the New York Times.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvQNwKLAbei/?img_index=1

"I’m saddened by the recent announcement of my departure from the American Ballet Theatre after 12 years of dedication and hard work. It’s especially disappointing to learn of my own dismissal through the media without any effort to contact me personally. While I had hoped that the hiring of a new artistic director, and the publication of my NY Times op-ed piece, might signal a change, it is clear that there are still many hurdles to enacting meaningful progress in my industry. I thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for all the words of support that I’ve received since my experience was made public, and I can assure all of you that this is just the beginning of a new chapter in my story."

The comments are all expressing outrage but I am wondering if Gabe was even attending classes or rehearsals at ABT and if it really is a surprise?

Edited by FauxPas
Statement as "fact"
12 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

He also has not been rehired by American Ballet Theater and is "retired".  He was not informed by the company but read it in the New York Times.

"I’m saddened by the recent announcement of my departure from the American Ballet Theatre after 12 years of dedication and hard work. It’s especially disappointing to learn of my own dismissal through the media without any effort to contact me personally. While I had hoped that the hiring of a new artistic director, and the publication of my NY Times op-ed piece, might signal a change, it is clear that there are still many hurdles to enacting meaningful progress in my industry. I thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for all the words of support that I’ve received since my experience was made public, and I can assure all of you that this is just the beginning of a new chapter in my story."

The comments are all expressing outrage but I am wondering if Gabe was even attending classes or rehearsals at ABT and if it really is a surprise?

They haven't updated the web page yet: https://www.abt.org/the-company/dancers/

Very tacky if ABT didn't notify him, but I assumed they'd all have contracts signed for the next year by now and he would know that way that he wasn't being offered anything.

1 minute ago, nanushka said:

I wonder if he conferred with Susan Jaffe before he published his own Times remarks. How much has he even been present since she took over, I wonder.

He has personally admitted that he has mostly been in Europe lately after walking out on the Fall Season last year.  I think that is in violation of his contract - both the walking out and the not being present for rehearsals, classes and performances.  

22 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

They are * but 1) I notice none of them are from his coworkers and 2) you can delete comments....

*There are actually a few negative responses which can be found in response to a comment of support (by @leemore).

I've never seen the ABT contract.  That said, I'd be very surprised if Soloists aren't covered by the contract, and as surprised if the union didn't need to be notified before or at the same time that a dancer is in breach of conflict and next steps.  Usually, there is a formal dispute process, and then there can be a NLRB application for arbitration.

Re deleted posts:  aside from a note that there are comments, the only ones that can be quoted here are from ballet professionals, just like all other news on this site.

Edited by Helene
spelling

This comment has been added onto Gabe's post:

abtofficial: In accordance with our dancers’ union contract, in December 2022 we informed Mr. Stone Shayer verbally and in writing that we would not be renewing his contract. Gabe has been a valuable member of ABT for over a decade. We wish him the best in his future endeavors and thank him for many years of artistry as part of ABT.

Edited by aurora

If Gabe Stone Shayer was informed back in December that his contract was not being renewed, that puts his op-ed piece in the New York Times (during ABT's Summer Met Season) in a wholly different light.  

Edited by FauxPas

Could I just say how sad this whole story is -- a young man who loved ballet but must have started to have a glimmer years ago that he didn't quite have what it would take to rise to the top at ABT. He could have left gracefully and quietly to join a contemporary company or perhaps a smaller one or one in Europe and thrived.  Gorak is leaving with a lovely comment from the Times about his gorgeous feet. Sterling Baca seems to be thriving in Philadelphia. But after that op-ed AND what are apparently untruths on his Instagram, what director will chance it?  He's made himself radioactive. 

21 hours ago, aurora said:

This comment has been added onto Gabe's post:

abtofficial: In accordance with our dancers’ union contract, in December 2022 we informed Mr. Stone Shayer verbally and in writing that we would not be renewing his contract. Gabe has been a valuable member of ABT for over a decade. We wish him the best in his future endeavors and thank him for many years of artistry as part of ABT.

And ABT's comment has now been liked by Principal Conductor Charles Barker and corps members Duncan McIlwaine, Michael de la Nuez, Scout Forsythe, Jacob Clerico, Alexandra Basmagy, Nathan Vendt, Jarod Curley, João Menegussi, Cy Doherty, and Camila Ferrera. I have no doubt that ABT's statement is accurate.

Edited by fondoffouettes
Updated with additional dancers who have liked ABT's comment
2 hours ago, California said:

Could I just say how sad this whole story is -- a young man who loved ballet but must have started to have a glimmer years ago that he didn't quite have what it would take to rise to the top at ABT. He could have left gracefully and quietly to join a contemporary company or perhaps a smaller one or one in Europe and thrived. 

I think that whoever titled Mr. Shayer's op-ed piece, and perhaps it was Mr. Shayer himself, got it absolutely right. ABT does not see him as he sees himself, because he has a false sense of how he appears to others as a classical dancer, i.e., he sees himself as dancing like a prince, but he doesn't have the finesse that a prince needs to have. He was hired when he was young and his high jump suggested he had promise. Either he doesn't quite have what it takes or he didn't put in the work to develop it and his jumps were no longer so high as they had been. 

31 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

And ABT's comment has now been liked by Principal Conductor Charles Barker and corps members Duncan McIlwaine, Michael de la Nuez, Scout Forsythe, Jacob Clerico, Alexandra Basmagy, and Nathan Vendt. I have no doubt that ABT's statement is accurate.

Out of curiosity, have many company members liked or commented on Gabe’s post itself? I’m not active on IG so am unfamiliar with their accounts.

4 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Out of curiosity, have many company members liked or commented on Gabe’s post itself? I’m not active on IG so am unfamiliar with their accounts.

From what I can tell, none. Adrian Danchig-Waring and Roman Mejia are the only dancers I recognize among the likes on the post itself.

Edited by fondoffouettes
1 hour ago, On Pointe said:

I  wonder,  why did the august New York Times  gift its platform to someone who is basically just a disgruntled employee?  A low level employee in a private company at that,  not some governmental whistle blower.  It makes no sense.  

I didn't find it particularly surprising, in the context of the past few years, and perhaps especially from the Times. He was making bold claims about issues of equity and representation in the arts, asserting that he'd been relegated to "subservient, exotic roles" in which he had to "do a shuck and jive." Juicy stuff. Unfortunately, when the claims are weak, that only serves to undermine recognition of the valid issues. But many of the paper's subscribers probably accept the claims, so it's a win for the publication. "Culture war" issues (for lack of a better catch-all term) get clicks — even (especially?) from those who don't buy the claims.

Edited by nanushka