This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nutcracker 2021

1 hour ago, Jacqueline said:

Week six casting is up and I don't see a single debut

Disappointing! (Even though I also could not see any of them, spending a month away from NY). LaFreniere and Miriam Miller should be doing Sugarplum, and how about a Kristen Segin Dewdrop?

Emilie and Chun were absolutely beautiful tonight. Wow. 

Also, some cast changes:

Adams and Hod replace Kretzschmar in her assignments:

https://res.cloudinary.com/new-york-city-ballet/image/upload/v1639521256/Documents/Casting/NYCB-Casting_Dec-14-19-2021_20211214

https://res.cloudinary.com/new-york-city-ballet/image/upload/v1639521523/Documents/Casting/NYCB-Casting_Dec-21-26-2021_20211214-1

Edited by canbelto
15 hours ago, cobweb said:

Disappointing! (Even though I also could not see any of them, spending a month away from NY). LaFreniere and Miriam Miller should be doing Sugarplum, and how about a Kristen Segin Dewdrop?

LaFreniere and Miller both have a few Dewdrops scheduled. There might not be any debuts (maybe the repertory directors are too overworked to put a lot of people in late in the season) but I was glad to see a lot of dancers cast who aren't always seen in leading roles: Sara Adams and Ashley Hod as SPF, Mira Nadon, Ashley Laracey, Baily Jones, LaFreniere and Miriam Miller as Dewdrop. Segin has a Marzipan.

I can't go more than once, but the casting looks interesting to me. There is also a lot of variety in the Marzipan and Coffee casting.

Edited by BalanchineFan
23 hours ago, Drew said:
23 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

I'm not a huge Nutcracker fan and the only production I ever went to night after night (the seasons when I could) was Baryshnikov's when ABT performed it in D.C.  And that was almost exclusively because of Kirkland's Clara which remains one of my greatest ballet-going memories. The video, lovely as it is, doesn't begin to capture the wonder of her performance and, in fact, I believe it was shot before she had ever danced the ballet on stage. Moreover her Clara was full of subtle variations from performance to performance even when dancing with the same partner. And she danced it with a few different partners including Dowell and Cragun. But  I don't think of her as dancing the Sugar Plum Fairy--I think of her as dancing Clara.

SPF? I'm the person who wrote that their favorite Sugar Plum Fairy was Jenifer Ringer.  I do have mixed feelings about Balanchine's Nutcracker even now in part because of the placement of the SPF variation at the very beginning of the second act which, to me, undermines some of its magical impact. (It's as if Odile came on at the beginning of Swan Lake Act III before the ball was even underway and performed 32 fouettes there and then. (I exaggerate...a little...to explain my feelings.)

Yes, I agree, Kirkland danced Clara, not SPF. I only saw the film and I feel like it changed the course of my life.

Anyway, I remember you posted about Ringer as SPF. I wish I'd seen her. I don't think I've ever seen her dance except for a YouTube video where Violette Verdy or maybe Damian Woetzel is coaching a few people at City Center studios. Personally, I don't mind the SPF's early variation because I love her waving her wand at the little angels so much, but I understand your point.

@Helene and @JanLevNYC, sounds like you saw just about everyone! I would have loved to have seen Darci and Lourdes in particular. I saw them dance other things that were amazing (I have vivid memories of Kistler as the 2nd lead in Walpurgisnacht and Lopez in Stravinsky Violin Concerto).

4 hours ago, Rock said:

He's such an elegant dancer. How was his partnering? How was his coda?

His partnering was wonderful. The shoulder jumps were a bit tentative, but everything else was top notch. His coda was also great -- lots of pirouettes a la seconde, very fast, very centered.

It seems odd that during a Nutcracker season when four former Sugarplum Fairies have recently retired (Kowroski, Stafford, Lovette, King) and others are out of commission due to injury or other reasons (Mearns, Bouder, Reichlen, Pollack, Kretschmar), they couldn't save at least one spot for someone new. Casting sure works in mysterious ways.

Also mysterious to me is why they gave Furlan only one performance of Cavalier, and it was a Wednesday matinee fairly early in the season. After his rave reviews in Swan Lake I assumed he'd become an MVP for the princely roles. 

Edited by JuliaJ
5 hours ago, JuliaJ said:

It seems odd that during a Nutcracker season when four former Sugarplum Fairies have recently retired (Kowroski, Stafford, Lovette, King) and others are out of commission due to injury or other reasons (Mearns, Bouder, Reichlen, Pollack, Kretschmar), they couldn't save at least one spot for someone new. Casting sure works in mysterious ways.

Also mysterious to me is why they gave Furlan only one performance of Cavalier, and it was a Wednesday matinee fairly early in the season. After his rave reviews in Swan Lake I assumed he'd become an MVP for the princely roles. 

Well... Furlan's SPF partner Ashley Laracey only has two SPF perfs and the second one is Christmas eve. Maybe Furlan wanted to go home for the holiday. Or maybe they want to give Russell Janzen another performance. It's a huge company with loads of talent. Even with 60 odd Nutcracker performances not everyone is going to get a debut. Plus, I wonder if the principals are more eager/available to perform in NYC having had a year without Nutcracker. Travel and guesting has got to be much trickier this year, even though some dancers are managing it (Phelan, Woodward, Kathryn Morgan, etc).

On 12/14/2021 at 4:30 PM, vipa said:

I'm a bit surprised Tiler Peck is doing Thursday night & Friday Mat. Glad Daniel Ulbricht has been given a couple of cavaliers. Anyone seen Erica Pereira since she's been back. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thing she had a baby.

She danced SPF during yesterday's matinee. Per her Instagram:

KX8JcHS.jpg

On 12/15/2021 at 10:17 AM, Rock said:

He's such an elegant dancer. How was his partnering? How was his coda?

I have footage of this from an audience member's Instagram story, but I assume it cannot be posted here for copyright reasons.

Edited by claireasday
Cropped original image.
10 hours ago, claireasday said:

She danced SPF during yesterday's matinee. Per her Instagram:

KX8JcHS.jpg

I have footage of this from an audience member's Instagram story, but I assume it cannot be posted here for copyright reasons.

I thought we could post anything that is public facing. I also think IG clips are short enough that there's no infringement. Roman Mejia posted the end of his and Tiler's Nutcracker on his own IG. Spectacular! Not sure if I've linked it correctly.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXj_mo3gROZ/

Roman Mejia

As long as the account is public facing, links to performance videos*, including curtain calls, can be posted here.  A copyright owner can pursue any issues with the platform on which it's published, ie, the source: this is why YouTube closes down entire accounts.  If the platform agrees, links to those videos will be broken. (They can be broken for many reasons other than this.)

*Links to rehearsal videos and videos of the offstage lives of ballet professionals can only be linked if they are published by companies, mainstream media, or ballet professionals, including critics.

I'm hoping for a Peck/Mejia Swan Lake too. Last time she was paired with Gordon. They were a great match but Mejia is someone she's really built a rapport with recently. He is totally ready for big classical roles. I could see Gordon being paired with Phelan, assuming she gets a debut. 

Edited by JuliaJ
12 hours ago, JuliaJ said:

I'm hoping for a Peck/Mejia Swan Lake too. Last time she was paired with Gordon. They were a great match but Mejia is someone she's really built a rapport with recently. He is totally ready for big classical roles. I could see Gordon being paired with Phelan, assuming she gets a debut. 

Phelan seems destined for a Swan Lake Debut

On 12/18/2021 at 2:44 AM, cassieallison said:

Phelan seems destined for a Swan Lake Debut

My husband is a very occasional fan of the ballet but already told me that if there’s a Phelandebut, we’re getting tickets.

Would love to see Gerrity get a shot at Swan Lake.  She’s got the acting skills and the technical chops.

It's possible there won't be any O/O debuts in SL.  The only reason Lovette got her debut in 2020 was because Hyltin was on maternity leave.  There are 6 principal ballerinas who have performed the role:  Reichlin, Hyltin, Fairchild, Peck, Bouder and Mearns. 

1 hour ago, abatt said:

It's possible there won't be any O/O debuts in SL.  The only reason Lovette got her debut in 2020 was because Hyltin was on maternity leave.  There are 6 principal ballerinas who have performed the role:  Reichlin, Hyltin, Fairchild, Peck, Bouder and Mearns. 

Reichlen, Bouder, and Mearns are currently out of commission. Idk if all three could come back before the Winter Season.