This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2020: Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis

38 minutes ago, California said:

Am I the only person who hasn't received the Pennsylvania Ballet access password? I registered Friday morning, again Friday before the performance, and just now. I have bought many tickets. I have made significant donations the last three years. I think something is seriously screwed up in their system. I just sent e-mail to the two people who seem to handle individual donors/members. And yes, I have been checking my spam and trash files. Anybody else having the same problem?

I received mine about 4:45pm yesterday, which for some reason arrived in my promotions folder...

9 hours ago, canbelto said:

I haven't been able to access the Ekman piece for PA Ballet even though I was sent a password ...

Neither have I.  I very much enjoyed both Connection and the Don Q ..... Happily I just received a 'corrected' link ... 

Edited by meunier fan

Dance Theatre of Harlem — “Return”

To the music of James Brown and Aretha Franklin.

I go with 20:20 through the credits to the end  --  Good stuff !

Go here and scroll down to first picture “Return” and click.

https://www.dancetheatreofharlem.org/dthondemandvirtualballetseries/?utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20DXContentEM3&utm_content=version_A&pid=5054197&promocode=400563

Edited by Buddy

24 minutes ago, canbelto said:

The Rubies uploaded by PABallet is incomplete. It doesn't even finish the pas de deux!

Strange that ... Perhaps it's just an error ... and they'll send out a modified link later ... A shame really ... 

Manon

English National Ballet

Alina Cojocaru

There was a streaming of the performance 10 hours ago, that was removed.

And now it says at 7 p.m. BST

Edited by sofiabn

4 minutes ago, sofiabn said:

The link says video unavailable.

I suppose they uploaded the video by mistake at 7 a.m. 

But no problem, since they will upload it again at 7 p.m. and will be available for 48 hours.

Glad I've already watched it twice! It will be worth watching when they bring it back!

I just stumbled across NYTB/Chamberworks' "The Living Room Series." (NYTB/Chamberworks is the new name for the little company formerly known as New York Theater Ballet. I don't know when they changed their name; it may have been when they decamped to St. Marks.)

Here's Marina Harss' notice about the series in The New Yorker:

The company formerly known as New York Theatre Ballet is one of the few places you can see the work of the twentieth-century British choreographer Antony Tudor these days. Rigorous and taut, these ballets are all the more intense for the contained manner in which they are performed. The company has put several of them online, including “Dark Elegies” and “Jardin aux Lilas,” both from the nineteen-thirties. “Dark Elegies” is an exposition of communal grief—a timely theme—set to Mahler’s song cycle “Kindertotenlieder.” In “Jardin aux Lilas,” four people are caught in a quadrangle of impossible love during a rather gloomy afternoon garden party. The dancers of this New York-based chamber company perform the works—which can be viewed on Vimeo—with bracing sincerity.

On offer are programs featuring Tudor, Ashton, Limon, as well as contemporary choreographers such as Gemma Bond and Pam Tanowitz.

To note: A number of the videos were filmed in Florence Gould Hall, which has a postage-stamp sized stage. The music is usually live, but it also often takes the form of the piano reduction of the full score. Still, it's repertory that's not easy to find elsewhere.

PS: You can see them perform Merce Cunningham's Scramble here: https://www.mercecunningham.org/activities/calendar/

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell

This is the second name change that I know of, because it was different when I took adult (beginner-)beginner ballet classes at the school in the early '80's: I'm not sure of the spelling, but I think the former name was Balletfore, and it was when the studio was still in the church in the East '30's.

We adults students would check in at the desk on the landing outside the studio and then gather there while Margaret Craske's class for teenagers finished.  Then we'd wait until she walked across the studio, slowly with her cane, to get to the changing room through the door in the back of the studio.  We'd count to five, and only then cross the studio to change, we in the open area, and she in a curtained off area in the back that was her private space.