This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2020: Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis

On 12/17/2020 at 6:07 PM, volcanohunter said:

The online ballet gala organized by Christine Shevchenko. Available until December 20.

13 hours ago, California said:

I watched last night and enjoyed it. More lemonade from lemons! I always enjoy seeing new pairings (something Vail does well) and they had several. So nice to see Sarah Lane with Daniel Ulbricht! Shevchenko with Bell and MacKay was wonderful to see, as well.

Classical gala PdD, nicely-performed -- Nutcracker PdD, Don Q, R&J, Flower Festival. They got permission for using the choreography of MacMillan, etc. The performing space seemed a little cramped, but okay. I hope they are able to raise some money for this and do another in the spring.

A straight and to the point gala, well danced. I agree that the dance space seems a bit claustrophobic, but that may have more to do with the camera viewpoints and point of focus than the actual space. I just went looking for more details and this gala may have been mostly filmed at the Manhattan Movement & Arts Center. So the stage is probably not particularly big to begin with, I don't know. There was also a film crew used in St. Petersburg (perhaps just for Christine Schevchenko's host monologue?).

22 hours ago, pherank said:

I agree that the dance space seems a bit claustrophobic, but that may have more to do with the camera viewpoints and point of focus than the actual space. I just went looking for more details and this gala may have been mostly filmed at the Manhattan Movement & Arts Center. So the stage is probably not particularly big to begin with, I don't know. 

It looked like it was all at MMAC. It's a black box theater made from two studios combined into one: wings in one, seats in the other. Small indeed.

On 12/18/2020 at 9:01 PM, pherank said:

There was also a film crew used in St. Petersburg (perhaps just for Christine Schevchenko's host monologue?).

SPOILER ALERT! You might have noticed a promise for a "surprise" at 6 pm EST Sunday. It's now appeared on YouTube and you can set a reminder: Maria Khoreva and Kimin Kim in La Bayadere! That would explain the St. Petersburg film crew:

On 12/18/2020 at 7:32 AM, California said:

So nice to see Sarah Lane with Daniel Ulbricht! 

I've watched this several times over the weekend. Such a great pair. Doesn't he have a little summer touring group -- Ulbricht and friends, or some such? He's savvy enough to know Lane's presence would sell tickets, for sure. Next summer perhaps?

I assume Barra's production was staged to mark the 100th anniversary of the Petipa-Ivanov production, but for the life of me, I don't understand why. It comes across as an imitation of the Neumeier version, which the company also performs. Does it really need two versions about a hero who doesn't want to marry his fiancée, so he fantasizes about a swan? Sure, Barra retains the white act and the black swan pas de deux, but so does Neumeier.

Playing Changes

The San Francisco Symphony partners with Bay Area dance company Post:ballet to present Playing Changes, an intimate interdisciplinary performance.

https://www.sfsymphonyplus.org/playing-changes
[FREE if you register with their website]

Ballet fans my recognize the performance space as being the same one used in SFB's In the Countenance of Kings preview film from a few year back. It's the 16th Street Theater Station in Oakland, CA.

Edited by pherank