This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2020: Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis

Carnival of the Animals
Camille Saint-Saëns: »Le carnaval des animaux« for flute, clarinet, string quintet, xylophone and two pianos
TEXT Loriot
WITH Polina Semionova (swan)
Jan Josef Liefers (speaker)
Daniel Barenboim and Thomas Guggeis (piano)
and members of the Staatskapelle Berlin

“Vessels” — Dance Theatre of Harlem

After one viewing this seems a fine abstract performance. Of personal note is the expressively lovely dancer in the duet at 12:30, Chyrstyn Fentroy, I believe, who has a very pleasant resemblance to the remarkable Virginia Johnson (Company Director and original Giselle from “Creole Giselle”). As the video description says,

“Let us all be infused with something beautiful that can be transferred to others.”

Edited by Buddy

The SAB Workshop Celebration will be shown July 9-13:

45205bef-dedb-4327-8e04-236274f10891.jpg
The Virtual Workshop Celebration has a new date! Please join us on Thursday, July 9 at 7PM ET at sab.org, Facebook, or Youtube for the Live Premiere of this special evening. The Celebration is free to watch and will be available beginning on Thursday, July 9 until Monday, July 13 at 7PM ET. We hope you will tune in to celebrate the School and our talented students.
Help SAB ensure that we are able to continue providing exceptional ballet training for our students, maintaining our commitment to our artistic and administrative employees, and sustaining our facilities and our School for the future by making a gift to the SAB Response Fund today. A gift of any size is impactful and would mean the world to us and our students.
Make a gift to the SAB Response Fund
Facebook
Link
Website

Kennedy Center just sent a long email with announcements of numerous digital screenings, although many are from other sources.

No word at the end of the message about programming for 2020-2021.

Kennedy Center Logo

Kennedy Center @ Home

Keep up with the best of Ballet & Dance—online!

Our favorite ballet & dance companies continue to keep us entertained in the safety of our own homes. This week enjoy digital offerings from Dance Theatre of Harlem, Miami City Ballet, A.I.M, San Francisco Ballet, American Ballet Theatre, and Scottish Ballet, plus some of our own Digital Stage originals and online activities from local dance organizations.

Digital performances to keep you inspired

Dance Theatre of Harlem: Robert Garland's Return

Dance Theatre of Harlem On Demand

Streaming on June 20 at 8 p.m.

Available to stream this weekend is a specially compiled screening of Robert Garland's Return featuring footage spanning 20 years of performance, hosted by former DTH Principal Ballerina Tai Jimenez.

Past virtual premieres of Creole Giselle and Darrell Grand Moultrie’s Vessels are available to stream through June 19 and 21, respectively.

Miami City Ballet: Friday Night Spotlights

Miami City Ballet: Friday Night Spotlights

New broadcasts select Fridays through July 12

Currently streaming is Justin Peck's Heatscape, followed by Twyla Tharp's Nine Sinatra Songs on June 29 and Alexei Ratmansky’s Symphonic Dances on July 12.

A.I.M: Kyle Abraham's Absent Matter

A.I.M: Kyle Abraham's Absent Matter

Excerpts now streaming

Absent Matter explores hip-hop's lineage to create an abstracted dialogue about race in America through the lens of those who feel unacknowledged or without value.

San Francisco Ballet: Björk Ballet

San Francisco Ballet @ Home

Streaming through Friday

Commissioned for the Unbound festival, Arthur Pita’s Björk Ballet celebrates the theatricality of Björk and her music, setting songs spanning her discography from 1993’s Debut to Utopia from 2017.

American Ballet Theatre Offstage

American Ballet Theatre Offstage

New videos daily, through July 4

In this week-by-week online journey, American Ballet Theatre Offstage offers diverse behind-the-scenes experiences. Daily programming includes conversations, ballet classes, orchestral concerts, guest artist spotlights, hair and make-up tutorials, and a historical review.

This week the company explores The Sleeping Beauty, followed by a focus on iconic female choreographers and Cathy Marston's Jane Eyre next week.

Scottish Ballet

Scottish Ballet: Stay Home with Stravinsky

Streaming through June 30

Two tales of outsiders, mortality and sacrifice, set to magnificent live scores by Igor Stravinsky, Christopher Hampson's The Rite of Spring and Sir Kenneth MacMillan's The Fairy's Kiss are both available to stream through Scottish Ballet TV.

Works and Process Artist Virtual Commissions

To financially support artists and nurture their creative process during these challenging times, Works & Process at the Guggenheim will grant over $150,000 for artists to create new works while observing social distancing guidelines. New works are posted every Sunday and Monday at 7:30pm.

These works are co-presented by The Kennedy Center.

STORM by Sara Mearns, Joshua Bergasse, Zoe Sarnak, and Margo Seibert

STORM by Sara Mearns, Joshua Bergasse, Zoe Sarnak, and Margo Seibert

Brown Eyes by Penny Saunders | BalletX

Brown Eyes by Penny Saunders | BalletX

Ballet & Dance on our Digital Stage

Shelter by Jawole Willa Jo Zollar | Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater

Shelter by Jawole Willa Jo Zollar | Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater

1:06 / 3:14 The Human Journey: Rulan Tangen of Dancing Earth

The Human Journey: Rulan Tangen of Dancing Earth

Q&A with American Ballet Theatre's Isabella Boylston and James Whiteside

Gregory Hines: I Got Rhythm / Fascinating Rhythm | 1982 Kennedy Center Honors

Dancing Local

Dance for Parkinson's Disease with Bowen McCauley Dance Co.

Dance for Parkinson's Disease with Bowen McCauley Dance Co.

BMDC is providing FREE live video streamed classes for people with Parkinson’s and their care partners, every Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 2:30–4 p.m. To register email dance@bmdc.org.

The Washington Ballet

The Washington Ballet

The company is offering live stream open classes, live "pay what you can" classes, and on-demand classes for adult program students to keep you moving at home!

Dance Place

Dance Place

The local dance presenter is offering a range of virtual media to stay moving, engage in conversation, and thrive in community with one another.   

Help Inspire Others

The Kennedy Center may be closed, but the arts are still alive! Make a special gift to help support the Center during this unprecedented time.

See you after the intermission!

During the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve dimmed our lights for a temporary intermission and canceled all public performances and events through Aug. 9, 2020, including some events beyond. We share your disappointment for performances and seasons cut short—nothing can replace the live performing arts. We’re working hard to explore options for rescheduling and can’t wait to welcome you back with extraordinary performances. For the most up-to-date information regarding our response to COVID-19, please visit the Kennedy Center website.

Photos:

American Ballet Theatre in Of Love and Rage. Photo by Gene Schiavone.

The Washington Ballet Photo by Kelsey Arrington

facebooktwitterinstagramyoutube

You are receiving this email based on your preferences. Edit preferences. | Unsubscribe.

Please do not reply to this email.

Add info@kennedy-center.org to your address book or safe list to ensure delivery.

We respect our patrons' privacy.

Read our privacy policy.

Contact center & FAQs.

The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts

2700 F Street NW, Washington, DC 20566 

(202) 467-4600

PA Ballet Front Row Festival. But you must register to receive the password.

JOIN US FOR OUR FIRST DIGITAL SEASON

Experience the best of Pennsylvania Ballet, from your couch! Over ten days, we present nine full performances of classical and contemporary ballets, along with discussions with our artists and more.

All events are free on Vimeo, but you will need password to access the videos. Since you're on our email list, we will be sending the password and links to you, but please share this email with anyone who'd like to join us, so that they can register. While you are free to share this email, we ask that you do not share the links or password for festival videos.

pab-world-premiers-19-3376-by-iziliaev-600x400.jpg

Connection

choreography

Juliano Nunes

music

Ezio Bosso

Available June 19 - 26

pab-don-q-19-1244-by-iziliaev-600x400.jpg

Don Quixote

choreography

Angel Corella (after Petipa)

music

Ludwig Minkus

Available June 20 - July 20

episode31-artists-4-600x400.jpg

Episode 31

choreography

Alexander Ekman

music

Mikael Karlsson, Ane Brun & Erik Satie

Available June 21 - 28

pab-world-premiers-19-3816-by-iziliaev-600x400.jpg

A Trace of Inevitability

choreography

Yin Yue

music

Michel Banabila

Available June 22 - 29

reaction-215-by-iziliaev-600x400.jpg

Rubies

choreography

George Balanchine

music

Igor Stravinsky

Available June 23 - 25

pab-giselle-19-897-by-iziliaev-600x400.jpg

Giselle

choreography

Angel Corella
(after Jean Coralli & Jules Perrot)

music

Adolphe Adam

Available June 24 - July 24

pab-trigger-touch-fade-144-by-iziliaev-600x400.jpg

Trigger Touch Fade

choreography

Jorma Elo

music

Franz Joseph Haydn & J.S. Bach

Available June 25 - July 2

pab-glass-pieces-406-by-iziliaev-600x400.jpg

Glass Pieces

choreography

Jerome Robbins

music

Philip Glass

Available June 26 - July 3

dixon-157974-f-wp-content-uploads-2017-09-640697-315b2487f13f402-1-1200x800-600x400.jpg

I AM

documentary directed by

Glenn Holstein

featuring

Artists of Pennsylvania Ballet II with Students of St. Katherine's School

Available June 27 - July 4

pab-dgv-19-591-by-iziliaev-600x400.jpg

D.G.V.

choreography

Christopher Wheeldon

music

Michael Nyman

Available June 28 - July 5

Edited by mussel

Here's a streaming takeaway from NYCB's cancellation press release:

"As the Company did during the recently cancelled 2020 Spring Season, New York City Ballet plans to present digital offerings during the period of time when live performances will not be possible."

22 minutes ago, meunier fan said:

Has anyone got the link / password from Pennsylvania Ballet yet?   I did register ... but haven't heard anything yet.  Perhaps they just release them on the day?  

I haven't received anything, but as the performances start tomorrow, it would make sense to wait to send it out tomorrow.

Fun fact: the first American to perform Giselle is buried at West Laurel Hill Cemetery in Philadelphia. They were one of the sponsors of the theater performance, which I was able to see and really enjoyed. 

https://thelaurelhillcemetery.org/events/featured-performances-by-the-pennsylvania-ballet

This page seems to have been recently  updated, as it gives the new repertory for the NYCB  program scheduled for next Monday, the 22nd, as well as their reasoning for the change:

http://lincolncenter.org/lincoln-center-at-home/show/coppeacutelia-858

Of the original Coppelia, only the third Act is now planned, preceded by other Balanchine repertory in more recent performances.  It may be interesting to compare the way NYCB danced Balanchine in 2004 with the way they danced his choreography in 1978.

(Apologies to rg and Dale, who have posted in another thread.)

Edited by Jack Reed
I didn't see rg's thread first, having bookmarked this one.

Colorado Ballet will stream a work performed  jointly with Cleo Robinson's company in March 2019. It will be on their web site beginning June 24 for two weeks. I saw this in the theater and it's a stunning tribute to the Civil Rights Movement. I'm very glad to see this scheduled.

EDITED TO ADD: They  now have a special web page with more  information: https://www.coloradoballet.org/presents

Colorado Ballet Presents: The MOVE/ment by Cleo Parker Robinson. We are excited to stream this work for two weeks on our website beginning on Wednesday, June 24! Colorado Ballet had an amazing experience collaborating with Cleo Parker Robinson Dance in 2019 to create and perform The MOVE/ment, a powerful and moving work about the Civil Rights Movement. Hear from Cleo Parker Robinson and some of the dancers later this week about what this piece means to them and why it is so relevant today. #CPRD #ColoradoBallet

Cover image features Tyveze Littlejohn of Cleo Parker Robinson Dance

104301780_642296863023560_4928929258384759120_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=f2c4d5&_nc_ohc=gSt6-icsBO0AX8pH6CS&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.xx&oh=95e80047fd07bccd1e48d6da00b1c2f9&oe=5F11246F

Edited by California
URL added

4 hours ago, Dale said:

Here's a streaming takeaway from NYCB's cancellation press release:

"As the Company did during the recently cancelled 2020 Spring Season, New York City Ballet plans to present digital offerings during the period of time when live performances will not be possible."

As I'm sure many of you did, I got a detailed questionnaire today from NYCB asking about prices I'd be willing to pay for different offerings -- performances, talks, interviews, classes, etc. I suspect we'll be seeing more of this.

27 minutes ago, California said:

As I'm sure many of you did, I got a detailed questionnaire today from NYCB asking about prices I'd be willing to pay for different offerings -- performances, talks, interviews, classes, etc. I suspect we'll be seeing more of this.

I just filled out the questionnaire. Clearly they are trying to get creative with cash flow ideas. These time call for new ideas, so I wish them well.

I just got the email to view Pennsylvania Ballet's online stream:

The Front Row Festival begins tonight with Connection, created by choreographer Juliano Nunes especially for Pennsylvania Ballet. Set to music by Ezio Bosso, this evocative ballet had its world premiere in November 2019.

Go behind the curtain! Choreographer Juliano Nunes, Principal Dancer Jermel Johnson, and First Soloist Nayara Lopes discuss the creation of Connection.

The password is just above the "Watch Now" buttons in the email.

1 hour ago, canbelto said:

RDB is streaming Rubies. There's a geo-block but I was able to access it easily via some VPN program.

rubiner-thumbnail.jpgAvailable until July 3, too.  Generous for those of us not blocked, at least.  (This is just an image from the page listing their live-streams; sorry for the arrow in the middle, which looks like a clickable "start" button.  Presumably, if you're not blocked, it works. This link may take you to that page:  https://kglteater.dk/xtra/forestillinger/?section=33179 )

Edited by Jack Reed

42 minutes ago, Helene said:

I just got the email to view Pennsylvania Ballet's online stream:

The Front Row Festival begins tonight with Connection, created by choreographer Juliano Nunes especially for Pennsylvania Ballet. Set to music by Ezio Bosso, this evocative ballet had its world premiere in November 2019.

Go behind the curtain! Choreographer Juliano Nunes, Principal Dancer Jermel Johnson, and First Soloist Nayara Lopes discuss the creation of Connection.

The password is just above the "Watch Now" buttons in the email.

I haven't received anything yet and I'm a donor and past ticket buyer. Maybe they're doing this in alphabetical order!

20 hours ago, California said:

I haven't received anything yet and I'm a donor and past ticket buyer. Maybe they're doing this in alphabetical order!

Am I the only person who hasn't received the Pennsylvania Ballet access password? I registered Friday morning, again Friday before the performance, and just now. I have bought many tickets. I have made significant donations the last three years. I think something is seriously screwed up in their system. I just sent e-mail to the two people who seem to handle individual donors/members. And yes, I have been checking my spam and trash files. Anybody else having the same problem?

27 minutes ago, California said:

Am I the only person who hasn't received the Pennsylvania Ballet access password? I registered Friday morning, again Friday before the performance, and just now. I have bought many tickets. I have made significant donations the last three years. I think something is seriously screwed up in their system. I just sent e-mail to the two people who seem to handle individual donors/members. And yes, I have been checking my spam and trash files. Anybody else having the same problem?

I registered Thursday (I think) and received my link yesterday around 4:30 PM--hopefully the people in charge of membership reach out to you as it certainly seems like an error. Also happy to shoot you a PM or email if you're still having trouble--Don Q tonight should be lovely and you definitely shouldn't have to miss it on a system mistake!

Just now, netrina said:

I registered Thursday (I think) and received my link yesterday around 4:30 PM--hopefully the people in charge of membership reach out to you as it certainly seems like an error. Also happy to shoot you a PM or email if you're still having trouble--Don Q tonight should be lovely and you definitely shouldn't have to miss it on a system mistake!

I heard back right away by email. I'm on the list for tonight and they'll be sending things out to everybody later this afternoon. Thanks!