This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

City Ballet 2016-2017 Season

Here are Sept and Oct programs:

Stravinsky program: Stravinsky Violin Concerto, M&M, Duo Concertant, Symphony in 3 Movements: 9/21, 9/24 at 2 PM, 9/29 and 10/8 at 8PM

Balanchine Austria program: Divertimneto 15, Episodes, Vienna Waltzes 9/22 9/23, 9/24 at 8, and 9/25

Jewels: 9/28 9/30 10/1 at 2 PM and 10/2

21st Century Choreographers- Everywhere We Go plus unspecified additional ballets 9/27, 10/1 at 8, 10/5, 10/15 at 2

Glass Pieces, Thou Swell, Stars and Stripes 10/4 10/6 10/9 at 2 and 10/16

Serenade, Amer Rhapsody, Tschai pdd, Western Symphony 10/7 10/8 at 2 and 10/12

Dances at a Gathering and Firebird 10/11 10/14 10/14 and 10/15 at 8

(Amer Rhapsody is the new Wheeldon that will premiere two weeks from now.)

(Edited by Abatt to add DAAG Firebird program info.)

Sorry, no time to post info about the Winter and Spring right now.

Did they abandon Balanchine's birthday weekend? That used to be 3-4 different performances of several Balanchine ballets. This year that weekend looks like the same program Friday and Saturday and other choreographers on Sunday. It was snowed out in 2016, but I had hoped it would come back. They usually added nice extras, like a panel discussion between the matinee and evening.

I don't know. I have some misgivings about the whole photo-shoot look of the brochure. It makes me wonder about the direction they're going in. It seems less about ballet, and more about appealing to some glamorous young crowd, who may have money, but are probably also likely to be more fickle about their interest.

Have they abandoned the program where they sell every seat in the house for $30 during certain dates (usually during the Winter season) to attract "new audiences". I don't see any info on it, but I didn't exactly do an exhaustive search either.

Have they abandoned the program where they sell every seat in the house for $30 during certain dates (usually during the Winter season) to attract "new audiences". I don't see any info on it, but I didn't exactly do an exhaustive search either.

My subscriptions are available email says that subscription tickets can't be exchanged into 1/28, 2/3, or 2/23 so I'm assuming those are the Art Series dates.

I'm puzzled by the repetitiveness of the Winter Season programming. So many Sleeping Beauties, and only a few mixed bills. I mean, the Allegro Brillante/Swan Lake/4T's mixed bill and Sonnambula/Prodigal Son/Firebird is good, but do we need it to see each of them a staggering 6 times? There are also 14 total performances of Sleeping Beauty.

The spring season is a huge financial risk. 3 straight weeks of Peck/Ratmansky/Wheeldon/Martins/other new choreographers is IMO sorely testing the NYCB base audience's love for contemporary ballet.

I'm puzzled by the repetitiveness of the Winter Season programming. So many Sleeping Beauties, and only a few mixed bills. I mean, the Allegro Brillante/Swan Lake/4T's mixed bill and Sonnambula/Prodigal Son/Firebird is good, but do we need it to see each of them a staggering 6 times? There are also 14 total performances of Sleeping Beauty.

The spring season is a huge financial risk. 3 straight weeks of Peck/Ratmansky/Wheeldon/Martins/other new choreographers is IMO sorely testing the NYCB base audience's love for contemporary ballet.

Good points. I wonder if they're using winter season shows guaranteed to sell (swan lake, sleeping beauty, maybe firebird?) to hedge against the risker spring season.

I know they are repeating Jewels in the fall, but why only four performances? It sells out, so there is a demand to see it. I'd rather see a few more performances of Jewels sprinkled in and less Sleeping Beauty.

I wonder who they're planning for Stars and Stripes. If memory serves last time for El Capitan it was Veyette and Tyler Angle. Anyone fill me in if I've forgotten someone. Surely they need someone new. Joseph Gordon perhaps? And for Liberty Bell, Ashly Isaacs?

The turning video reminds me in a way of 4 Temperaments -- that moment in sanguinic where he carefully positions her in passe with the standing leg bent, one arm in 1st and one above, and then turns her time after time, and our world spins a bit off kilter along with her.

I'm going to be in New York next January through May, so I'm purchasing a choose your own subscription series. This is my first time ever buying a NYCB subscription - does anyone have any advice before I make the purchases? (i.e. does one get better tickets by calling them up or is it ok to do online, are there some categories of tickets that I should avoid, or is there something else I haven't even thought of yet?)

I wonder who they're planning for Stars and Stripes. If memory serves last time for El Capitan it was Veyette and Tyler Angle. Anyone fill me in if I've forgotten someone. Surely they need someone new. Joseph Gordon perhaps? And for Liberty Bell, Ashly Isaacs?

Gordon danced it at the Vail International Dance Festival last year. It wasn't the whole ballet, just the pas portion, but from pics, it looks as though he well-suited for the role.