• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#46 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

Koch theater multi-program discount is different from intial listing (20% off for 3+), it's only 15% now -"Choose 3 or more performances and get a 15% discount." but they offer now 10% for any 2 performances

#47 Kristen

Kristen

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

I also called the box office because the online ticketing was assigning me seats and I'd already picked those I wanted.  Got a very cordial, helpful person the phone - now, if only they could mail me the tickets in an envelope that doesn't say DAVID KOCH ... God, I hate that.  I'm going up for November 13 and 14 - hoping to meet some other Ballet Alert people. 

#48 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

a video of  Viktor Lebedev (2 years prior to his graduation from Vaganova), who's cast to perform in NYC in November. (imho, i like Alexei Popov as well, seen him dance in person, but it's getting off topic). Looking forward to watching Mikhailovsky in NYC

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=q82wLYl_H04

Added later - http://www.youtube.c...h?v=aPANPBHMmrk - Giselle Kristina Shapran Viktor Lebedev Only 35 Entre Chat Six"

#49 seattle_dancer

seattle_dancer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

I just bought tickets for Nov 13 and 14th!!!  So excited for the opportunity to finally see Osipova in Giselle and Flames of Paris in general.  Would be more efficient for me to go to Segerstrom; does anyone know why the are only showing Flames of Paris?  Dancer scheduling, maybe?  In any case, I am a former New Yorker and would love to meet up with other Ballet Alert fans at Lincoln Center!

If you cannot go to the box office and it is inconvenient for you to call (e.g. different time zones):

I found a useful trick on the website to pick your individual seats for different shows and still get the multi-show discount.  First choose "Multi-Program Package" on this page:  http://www.davidhkoc...com/events.html.  When I first did this it gave me seats I did not want BUT keep those in your cart  (for now).  Then go in as if you are buying individual tickets.  When you click on the seat it will show you all three price options.  Repeat for all your shows.  Then before you check out delete the original package of seats you didn't want.  Ta-dah!

Oh, I'm also going to Solo for Two @ Segerstrom July 26 eve if anybody wants to meet up.  Attending with another hard core ballet fan.

#50 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

I just noticed something odd on casting: Osipova is scheduled for Giselle in New York with Mikhailovsky on November 11 & 13: 

http://www.davidhkoc...moreinfoMB.html

But Royal Ballet is listing her as cast in their mixed bill on November 4 & 12 in London: 

http://www.roh.org.u...-in-the-country

Even with the old Concorde, that's not workable!

#51 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

Good sleuthing skills California.  The Mik casting may turn out to be wishful thinking designed to sell tickets based on Osipova's name.  Who will actually show up to dance is another matter entirely. 

#52 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

Let's hope Royal is gracious and lets her out of that November 12 performance or there will be some very, very unhappy Americans in New York! This would be her first Giselle in the US, right? London got to see her in that last season!

#53 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

It wouldn't be the first time she was double booked and NY lost.

#54 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

No. Osipova did Giselle at least twice at ABT with David Hallberg.

#55 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:09 PM

Interesting. They're both listed as guests with La Scala in Giselle in April 2015.  Given how injury-prone they both are, I don't think I'll rush to book a flight to Milan: http://www.teatroall...15/giselle.html

I've had tickets to see her do Bayadere and Sylvia with ABT and Sleeping Beauty with Royal -- all cancelled. She's not in Gelsey Kirkland territory, but she seems to be moving in that direction!

#56 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

Wishfully thinking is a rather diplomatic way to put it. I'd call it bait-and-switch. And thanks to California for pointing that out.

#57 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

Interesting. They're both listed as guests with La Scala in Giselle in April 2015.  Given how injury-prone they both are, I don't think I'll rush to book a flight to Milan: http://www.teatroall...15/giselle.html

I've had tickets to see her do Bayadere and Sylvia with ABT and Sleeping Beauty with Royal -- all cancelled. She's not in Gelsey Kirkland territory, but she seems to be moving in that direction!

To my knowledge, Gelsey Kirkland's cancellations weren't the result of double or over booking. You can judge her various problems as you will (harshly or not) -- but they were not something that I consider she was capable of controlling, and when she wasn't dancing, it was because she couldn't dance.

Coming from out of town, I specifically opted for the Mikhailovsky Giselle over the Don Quixote as the performance she was likelier to give and as giving me a chance to see Sarafanov and Flames of Paris alongside.  But I would still be just devastated to miss her once again. I also had tickets for both cancelled ABT Sylvias and a cancelled Sleeping Beauty with ABT. I have been fortunate enough to see her a number of other times and I don't think I have been shy about expressing my huge admiration, even adoration, for her dancing and making allowances for injuries, visa problems etc. but a double booking disaster is really a slap to her fans whether in London or New York, especially since by now Ardani, the Mikhailovsky (and I should think even the Royal Ballet) are aware of potential issues especially given the last planned Mikhailovsky trip to NY.

Of course, I hope she opts (is able to opt) for the NY Giselles. (I think she has danced it three times with ABT, all with Hallberg, but once was on tour in Chicago. Those I saw! And...in my eyes, there is plenty of reason for the fuss.)

#58 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

Actually, Drew, I think the cancellations I experienced with Osipova were all injuries or illnesses of some kind (although Sylvia is more of a mystery and I never really knew what the story was on that one). Kirkland's cancellations were illnesses of a sort, too.  I only made the comparison because Osipova does seem to cancel a lot -- don't expect her until you actually see her and always be prepared for disappointment. 

I didn't know that she had a double-booking issue (as Helene notes) before this. But, of course, her agents know and probably others and they just hoped nobody would notice -- true bait-and-switch, as mussel notes. Whether New Yorkers or Londoners are the suckers...I guess we'll find out soon enough.

#59 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:27 PM

Actually, Drew, I think the cancellations I experienced with Osipova were all injuries or illnesses of some kind (although Sylvia is more of a mystery and I never really knew what the story was on that one). Kirkland's cancellations were illnesses of a sort, too.  I only made the comparison because Osipova does seem to cancel a lot -- don't expect her until you actually see her and always be prepared for disappointment. 

You are right of course--that's my experience too, and I don't find her illness/injury issues on the whole not credible (most dancers go through them and cancel). When others have raised questions about Osipova I have always given her the benefit of the doubt (even in debate on this message board). But I confess that a double booking problem with the Mikhailovsky does rather set me off...given past issues with the cancelled Mikhailovsky tour and how little New York now sees her.  I realize stoicism is the more dignified attitude.

By the by, Kirkland...my favorite ballerina of all time.

#60 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:51 AM

At least with that cancelled Mikhailovsky NY visit (was that 2012 or 2013?), no tickets had gone on sale yet. I don't think dates had even been announced, so nobody would have made travel plans.

At the Royal, for the November 2014 performances, tickets have been on sale since mid-June to Friends and not much is left for the general public when that goes on sale in mid-July. Mikhailovsky in NY this November has been on sale for months and, as of this morning, it looks like a lot of good seats remain, even for the (announced) Osipova performances. We'll have to keep an eye on both sites to see which company blinks first and removes her name! On the Ardani site, they announce another Mikhailovsky US tour in fall 2015, but no details.

I have never seen Sarafanov in the theater, so it won't be a total loss, and Vasiliev's Albrecht should have curiosity value.

I do wonder how many people at the Koch know about this...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):