This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Fall 2014 NY & CA Tours-News, Casting, Tickets

There are two mixed bills night marketed as Osipova/Vasiliev extravaganzas. Uh oh ...

The overlap California spotted with the Royal Ballet would impact the first week if her Royal dates don't change, but not necessarily anything else...

Osipova's conflict with the Mik Giselles is her Royal debut performances as the lead in A Month in The Country. Knowing Osipova's past cancellations, I would not expect to see her at the Mik for the Giselle performances.

She better not cancel those RB MONTH performances ... I just booked for all of them this morning. I would imagine she will be spectacular in it. Her placement was TBC in the Ashton for the longest time ... perhaps because of this conflict. Her confirmation leads me to believe that the Mikhailovsky must have now worked something out. I'm sure whoever they get to replace Osipova will be good. There is no question but that Messerer has taste.

Interesting, Didn't know the casting was TBC for Month until recently. That definitely suggests that the conflict was contemplated and they decided to throw Osipova's NY fans under the bus for the Giselle shows after falsely using her name to sell tickets to the Giselles.

It does indeed. Even Opsipova - with that almighty leap - can't be in two places at the same time it seems. Hope they update soonest and that she will be able to fulfill at least part of her announced commitments with the Mikhailovsky in NYC. The Duet for Two has already been announced for next year at City Center has it not?

Interesting, Didn't know the casting was TBC for Month until recently. That definitely suggests that the conflict was contemplated and they decided to throw Osipova's NY fans under the bus for the Giselle shows after falsely using her name to sell tickets to the Giselles.

Exactly my reaction...

Possible cast changes as Kristina Shapran and Oksana Bondareva are no longer listed in Mik roster: http://www.mikhailovsky.ru/en/theatre/company/ballet/

According to Laura Capelle, a Paris based journalist, both Bondareva and Shapran have joined the Mariinsky. In fact, since Olga Essina is now out of the Mariinsky London tour, Shapran is covering for her in the Balanchine program night.

That was known already a couple of weeks ago. The only "surprise" was that Shapran yesterday out of the blue showed up as First Soloist. Observing her regression to the point when she has to simplify many variations in order just to perform them, seeing her name next to Novikova is a total absurd.

For those who feel disappointed with not being able to see Bondareva due to her move to Mariinsky: I am afraid you would be more disappointed seeing her on stage, a type of one dimensional "fouetté" girl, with little finesse. Soboleva, Vorontsova are each much more interesting and refined than her. Unlike Shapran, Bondareva was sought to be hired by Fateev. This is a perfect illustration of the Acting Director's tastes in ballet.

"a fouetté girl"... Thank you, I have not seen the dancer in question and so have no idea if she qualifies, but this is a very handy expression... Now that you say it, I certainly know the type... and am glad to now have a name for it.

And then there's the opposite "not a fouette girl," a category I would have been listed in!

Hello, I'm a ballet neophyte and just began my journey as a ballet fan and audience member. For me, someone who has never seen Oisipova live or any version of Don Quixote, would you recommend choosing that to see in Nov? I recently saw Giselle at the Kennedy Center and am eager to increase my repetoire before I start repeating ballets. However, many here seem to be choosing Giselle and Flames of Paris. I would imagine this is a great chance to see Osipova in a signature role, IF she shows. Do you think that is likely? I'm semi young for a ballet goer and also a samba and islands dancer and need to be economical, considering I'm saving for travels, carnival costumes, dance classes, etc. Thanks so much!

Don Quixote is one of Osipova"s greatest roles, the one that made her famous. To my regret I still have not seen her dance it. Some fans preferred her in the role when she was new to it, but from all accounts she always dances it with ultra showy brilliance and if you enjoy that kind of dancing (I usually do) you will have a great time. I cannot say whether she will show for Giselle, but personally I am doubtful. She is (in my judgment) a great Giselle certainly.

Please also note that the Royal Ballet is bringing Acosta's Don Q to the Kennedy Center June 9-14, 2015. Although casting has not been announced, she is doing several performances of that version in London this winter, partnered by Matthew Golding:

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/don-quixote-by-carlos-acosta

Here's the Kennedy Center link: http://www.kennedy-center.org/events/?event=BPBSH

Nothing announced yet for the NYC engagement later that month.

She said in interviews a few years ago that she did not want to be known only for this role, but she has done a very diversified rep since then, so she doesn't seem to be avoiding it now.

I first saw her in the Bolshoi's Don Q in February 2010 at Segerstrom (Orange County Performing Arts Center). Wow! I came away thinking: I have to see this dancer again and did a few months later when she performed with ABT at the 2010 Met season.

My guess on Mikhailovsky this November in NYC: she'll cancel the Giselles and perform with Royal (her current home), but show up for the second week.

Don Quixote is one of Osipova"s greatest roles, the one that made her famous. To my regret I still have not seen her dance it. Some fans preferred her in the role when she was new to it, but from all accounts she always dances it with ultra showy brilliance and if you enjoy that kind of dancing (I usually do) you will have a great time. I cannot say whether she will show for Giselle, but personally I am doubtful. She is (in my judgment) a great Giselle certainly.

Thank you! Yes, I agree, and that is part of why I want to see Osipova in Don Q (I prefer other dancers to Svetlana Zakharova, but chose to see her in Swan Lake- even that overstuffed version- because I think it's a bit of a signature role for her). I'd like to see celebrated dancers is classic roles to lay the groundwork before I start seeing more comtemporary pieces with newer dancers. An exception- my dream was to see Vishneva in Manon, but I was in DC and traveling during the Met season, regretfully. Next year!

Please also note that the Royal Ballet is bringing Acosta's Don Q to the Kennedy Center June 9-14, 2015. Although casting has not been announced, she is doing several performances of that version in London this winter, partnered by Matthew Golding:

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/don-quixote-by-carlos-acosta

Here's the Kennedy Center link: http://www.kennedy-center.org/events/?event=BPBSH

Nothing announced yet for the NYC engagement later that month.

She said in interviews a few years ago that she did not want to be known only for this role, but she has done a very diversified rep since then, so she doesn't seem to be avoiding it now.

I first saw her in the Bolshoi's Don Q in February 2010 at Segerstrom (Orange County Performing Arts Center). Wow! I came away thinking: I have to see this dancer again and did a few months later when she performed with ABT at the 2010 Met season.

My guess on Mikhailovsky this November in NYC: she'll cancel the Giselles and perform with Royal (her current home), but show up for the second week.

Again, thank you so much for your guidence (I am looking to all of you as my Virgils). I saw the Kennedy Center link, as I live in DC), and assumed it would be her starring in Don Q next year, but there are no promises, and I must admit I am eager to see a ballet in the drought of Nov, as there will be plenty of dance going on next June. And yes, I am a fan of showy dancing when appropriate, and I certainly think it works for Kitri (I would have loved to see Sylvie Guillam in the role- I see she is a bit of a controversial figure here, but I am in awe of her as an artist and performer).

Osipova I have always given her the benefit of the doubt (even in debate on this message board). But I confess that a double booking problem with the Mikhailovsky does rather set me off...given past issues with the cancelled Mikhailovsky tour and how little New York now sees her. I realize stoicism is the more dignified attitude.

This cracked me up! (Though I also feel the pain....)

According to Laura Capelle, a Paris based journalist, both Bondareva and Shapran have joined the Mariinsky.

I've been keeping an eye on the Mikhailovsky's September calendar because I will be in St. Petersburg then. Either late yesterday or early today, they posted casting for the second half of September. Interestingly, they list Bondereva for one of the Don Qs that I have a ticket to. Now I wonder if she will really perform. Maybe she had a contractual obligation to continue to appear for certain additional performances? I hope it's not a mistake. I am curious to see her.

NB: Osipova has changed her dates for her November MONTH IN THE COUNTRY performances with the Royal Ballet and will be performing on 5th November rather than 12th November (when that role will be danced by Yanowsky). Consequently, she will, I assume, be entirely free to dance the Giselles with that dancer's dancer Leonid Sarafanov in New York.

NB: Osipova has changed her dates for her November MONTH IN THE COUNTRY performances with the Royal Ballet and will be performing on 5th November rather than 12th November (when that role will be danced by Yanowsky). Consequently, she will, I assume, be entirely free to dance the Giselles with that dancer's dancer Leonid Sarafanov in New York.

Wow - great news. Thank you! And thanks to the Royal Ballet for helping out. I wouldn't want to be a Royal ticket holder who bought a ticket for the 12th, thinking she was dancing.

Thank you for posting. I would be a hypocrite not to feel for Royal Ballet goers who bought tickets planning to see her in A Month in the Country, but I, too, am just delighted by this news...(No guarantees of course for any performance, but at least now I'm not only scheduled to see her with Sarafanov in Giselle, but I don't feel like a chump.)

I have been busy and have only just gotten around to buying my Don Q tickets and there aren't many great seats left- since I have never seen Don Q, I am not sure which seat would be best. I have decided not to go to the first ring because I do not want to look down at all of the strong leaps, so I am looking at Orchestra seats dead center rather far back (rows O-P) or seats to the right a bit closer to the stage (F-H). I am quite short at 5'3 and found being off center advantageous for Giselle but less so for Swan Lake, so I beginning to understand how ideal seating depends on the performance and the individual. I am also open to the first ring. Any advice is very much appreciated (and next time, I won't take my time!). Thank you all!

I have been busy and have only just gotten around to buying my Don Q tickets and there aren't many great seats left- since I have never seen Don Q, I am not sure which seat would be best. I have decided not to go to the first ring because I do not want to look down at all of the strong leaps, so I am looking at Orchestra seats dead center rather far back (rows O-P) or seats to the right a bit closer to the stage (F-H). I am quite short at 5'3 and found being off center advantageous for Giselle but less so for Swan Lake, so I beginning to understand how ideal seating depends on the performance and the individual. I am also open to the first ring. Any advice is very much appreciated (and next time, I won't take my time!). Thank you all!

You have probably bought your tickets by now. I was not quite sure how to answer since you say you have decided not to go to first ring, but then at end of post say you are open to first ring. I enjoy orchestra seats more than upstairs seats myself, but am more or less the same height as you and I have given up on the orchestra in most theaters. I almost always sit in First Ring in Koch theater and like it very much: you are not that far away by any means, though I sometimes bring opera glasses to study details (facial expressions, costumes etc.) more carefully.

Unfortunately I don't remember exactly where banking of seats begins in the orchestra. I used to sit in row L and found those seats spectacular, so I think O-P would not be too bad if they are still left. I realize you may already have decided and made your purchase! Fortunately, it sounds as if all of your choices are still good ones.