This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Fall 2014 NY & CA Tours-News, Casting, Tickets

Thank you, Drew! Actually, I have not yet purchased. As the Kennedy Center is my home theater, and I have only been to Koch Theater a few times for ballet, I was hoping for some suggestions, considering possibilities, and watching the seats like a hawk! Seating won't be a huge deal for me when I see certain performances but for Don Quixote with two of my favorite dancers who aren't always stateside, I want to do it right! I think first ring is generally best for me, but I imagined that in a ballet as athletic as Don Quixote, I would better appreciate the elevation of all those leaps from orchestra (they seemed mitigated when I looked down from above last time I was there). However, if someone advised it, I wasn't completely adverse to the possibility! Yes, I am lucky that several good seats remain available- the straight back O-P and the row G down the middle of the right side remain, and I shall choose today! I'm not so particular about seating upcoming shows by NYCB and ABT, but Osipova is my dream Kitri (after Sylvie Guillem, of course, who I know is rather controversial around these parts and whom for I have, alas, arrived too late). Thank you again.

This is an official press release of today re the Mik's visit to the Koch. The mixed bill is changed (Class Concert is gone, replaced by LE HALTE DE CAVALERIE). Looks like the same casting as was published earlier.

THE FIRST TIME IN THE UNITED STATES

THE MIKHAILOVSKY BALLET

David H. Koch Theater (Lincoln Center)

November 11–23, 2014

Live Orchestra

Ardani Artist proudly presents for the first time in the United States The Mikhailovsky Ballet of St. Petersburg, Russia for a special two week engagement November 11 – 23, 2014 at the David H. Koch Theatre (Lincoln Center) NYC. There will be four programs for this premiere engagement performed with a live orchestra. The Mikhailovsky Ballet USA engagement is supported by the Russian Miistry of Culture.

Three Centuries Of Russian Ballet is the 3rd program of the engagement, on Tuesday, November 19 & Wednesday, November 20 at 7:30 pm. NOTE Update of this program for the first ballet

LE HALTE DE CAVALERIE (Ballet in one act): Music Ivan Armsheimer; Libretto and Choreography: Marius Petipa, revived by Pyotr Gusev; General Partner of the production: LenSpecStroy Limited Company

THE LADY AND THE HOOLIGAN (Ballet in one act): Music: Dmitry Shostakovich; Choreography: Konstantin Boyarsky revised by Mikhail Messerer; General Partner of the production: LenSpecStroy Limited Company.

PRELUDE (Ballet in one act): Music: George Handel, Ludwig van Beethoven, Benjamin Britten; Choreographer, Stage Designer, Costume Designer: Nacho Duato; Lighting Designer: Brad Fields.
The Box Office is open and tickets are on sale for this historic event.

Tickets are: Orchestra & 1st Ring $29, $55, $89, $129 & $149; 2nd & 3rd Ring $29, $55, $89 &$129; 4th Ring $55, $89, & $129. There also will be only 25 Premium ticket packages for each performance (best in the Orchestra, souvenir program, a glass of champagne, meet company members). Buy 2 programs get a 10% discount; 3 programs with a 20% discount.

Tickets can be purchased at the box office and at (212) 496-0600; or by Fax at (212) 580-2545 and on the web. http://davidhkochtheater.com/

CASTING*

GISELLE, OU LES WILIS
Nov. 11, 7:30 pm Natalia Osipova, Leonid Sarafanov Nov. 12, 2:00 pm Kristina Shapran, Victor Lebedev
Nov. 12, 7:30 pm Angelina Vorontsova, Ivan Vasiliev Nov. 13, 7:30 pm Natalia Osipova, Leonid Sarafanov

THE FLAMES OF PARIS
Nov. 14, 7:30 pm Oksana Bondareva, Ivan Vasiliev Nov. 15, 2:00 pm Angelina Vorontsova, Ivan Zaytsev
Nov. 15, 7:30 pm Oksana Bondareva, Ivan Vasiliev Nov. 16, 2:00 pm Angelina Vorontsova, Ivan Vasiliev

Three Centuries of Russian Ballet: LE HALTE DE CAVALERIE THE LADY AND THE HOOLIGAN PRELUDE
November 18 and 19, 7:30 pm Natalia Osipova, Ivan Vasiliev

DON QUIXOTE
Nov. 20, 7:30 pm Natalia Osipova, Ivan Vasiliev Nov. 21, 7:30 pm Angelina Vorontsova, Victor Lebedev
Nov. 22, 2:00 pm Oksana Bondareva, Leonid Sarafanov Nov. 22, 8:00 pm Angelina Vorontsova, Ivan Vasiliev
Nov. 23, 2:00 pm Natalia Osipova, Ivan Vasiliev
*subject to change

The Mikhailovsky Theatre in 2013, celebrated the 180th anniversary of its founding and the 80th anniversary of its Ballet Company. The Ballet Company did not become a permanent fixture at the theater overnight, however: it was a gradual process that began in 1918, when the Mikhailovsky Theatre shifted its focus from drama to musical theater. Even before the Ballet Company was officially founded by Fyodor Lopukhov in 1933, the theater played host to some significant events that are now considered an important part of world ballet history. In 1923, the young Giorgi Balanchivadze, who later changed his name to George Balanchine, staged dances in Rimsky-Korsakov’s opera The Golden Cockerel at the theater. It was there that the renowned ballet The Bright Stream to Dmitry Shostakovich’s score was first staged in 1935 by Lopukhov. At various times in its history the following outstanding Russian ballet masters have taken the helm of the Mikhailovsky Ballet Company: Leonid Lavrovsky, Pyotr Gusev, Igor Belsky, Konstantin Boyarsky, Oleg Vinogradov, Nikolai Boyarchikov, Farukh Ruzimatov, and Nacho Duato. At present, the Company’s Ballet Master in Chief is Mikhail Messerer. Mikhailovsky Ballet is a young, thriving company that effortlessly combines classical traditions with a modern look, and does not shy away from creative experiments. The Company’s Principal Dancers include world-class stars, as well as recent graduates from Russia’s top ballet schools and academies.

I just noticed that Victor Lebedev is now a principal at the Mikhailovsky and rightly so. He is an amazing dancer. I think I would personally target his performances if I were going to attend this tour in NY. However, he might not be to everyone's taste. He is to me the exact opposite of Ivan Vasiliev (who is prime red beef and 100% male and a bit on the wild side). Lebedev can do many "tricks" but he is super elegant and refined even while doing the "tricks." He has the elegance and refinement of the Vaganova trained females, and this is actually sort of rare among the males. The male Vaganova grads tend to be less supple and refined in the upper body and arms so that they look more masculine, but Lebedev could care less, and what he does is so jaw droppingly beautiful and elegant.

Like I said, this may not be what some of you are looking for in a male dancer (I describe my impressions so you can make an informed choice when buying tickets and not be mad if he is not to your taste), but I think he is so incredible. I have seen him in a gala at the Hermitage Theatre and in the secondary male role in Flames of Paris in person and have also seen his Basilio, Ali, and other short pieces.

He is unique and unlike any male dancer today. If you love refinement, elegance and true Vaganova style dancing, RUN to his performance, don't walk.

Well, the casting changes are finally here. Kristina Shapran is not on the tour. This is the official press release from today. Does anyone know anything about her replacement, Soboleva? Happy that Sarafanov, Vasiliev and Osipova are still listed.

THE FIRST TIME IN THE UNITED STATES

THE MIKHAILOVSKY BALLET

David H. Koch Theate
November 11–23, 2014
Live Orchestra

Ardani Artist proudly presents for the first time in the United States The Mikhailovsky Ballet of St. Petersburg, Russia for a special two week engagement November 11 – 23, 2014 at the David H. Koch Theatre (Lincoln Center) NYC. There will be four programs for this premiere engagement performed with a live orchestra. The Mikhailovsky Ballet USA engagement is supported by the Russian Miistry of Culture. Change of Program for Triple Bill: Class Concert replaces The Lady and the Hooligan, and for 11/12 mat Anastsia Soboleva replaces Ms.Shapran. Additional casting and conductors are announced.

CASTING below *

GISELLE, OU LES WILIS Conductor – Pavel Klinichev
Giselle, Albert, Mirtha
Nov. 11, 7:30 pm Natalia Osipova, Leonid Sarafanov, Ekaterina Borchenko
Nov. 12, 2:00 pm Anastasia Soboleva, Victor Lebedev, Irina Kosheleva
Nov. 12, 7:30 pm Angelina Vorontsova, Ivan Vasiliev, Ekaterina Borchenko
Nov. 13, 7:30 pm Natalia Osipova, Leonid Sarafanov, Ekaterina Borchenko

THE FLAMES OF PARIS Conductor: Pavel Bubelnikov; only 11/15 mat = Valentin Bogdanov
Jeanne, Philippe, Diana Mireille, Antoine Mistral
Nov. 14, 7:30 pm Oksana Bondareva, Ivan Vasiliev, Irina Perren, Leonid Sarafanov
Nov. 15, 2:00 pm Angelina Vorontsova, Ivan Zaytsev, Ekaterina Borchenko, Victor Lebedev
Nov. 15, 8:00 pm Oksana Bondareva, Ivan Vasiliev, Irina Perren, Leonid Sarafanov
Nov. 16, 2:00 pm Angelina Vorontsova, Ivan Vasiliev, Irina Perren, Leonid Sarafanov

THREE CENTURIES OF RUSSIAN BALLET: LE HALTE DE CAVALERIE; CLASS CONCERT; PRELUDE Conductor – Marius Stravinsky
November 18 and 19, 7:30 pm
Le Halte De Cavalerie: Angelina Vorontsova (18) / Anastasia Soboleva (19); Ivan Vasiliev (18) / Leonid Sarafanov (19)
Class Concert: Natalia Osipova, Ivan Vasiliev, Leonid Sarafanov, Angelina Vorontsova, Anastasia Soboleva, Victor Lebedev, Ekaterina Borchenko, IvanZaytsev
Prelude: Irina Perren, Leonid Sarafanov, Marat Shemiunov

DON QUIXOTE Conductor: Pavel Klinichev (11/20, 11/22m, 11/23; Marius Stravinsky (11/21, 11/22e)
Kitri, Basil, The Queen of Dryads
Nov. 20, 7:30 pm Natalia Osipova, Ivan Vasiliev, Ekaterina Borchenko
Nov. 21, 7:30 pm Angelina Vorontsova, Victor Lebedev, Ekaterina Borchenko
Nov. 22, 2:00 pm Oksana Bondareva, Leonid Sarafanov, Svetlana Bednenko
Nov. 22, 8:00 pm Angelina Vorontsova, Ivan Vasiliev, Ekaterina Borchenko
Nov. 23, 2:00 pm Natalia Osipova, Ivan Vasiliev , Svetlana Bednenko
*subject to change

The Mikhailovsky Theatre in 2013, celebrated the 180th anniversary of its founding and the 80th anniversary of its Ballet Company. The Ballet Company did not become a permanent fixture at the theater overnight, however: it was a gradual process that began in 1918, when the Mikhailovsky Theatre shifted its focus from drama to musical theater.

Even before the Ballet Company was officially founded by Fyodor Lopukhov in 1933, the theater played host to some significant events that are now considered an important part of world ballet history. In 1923, the young Giorgi Balanchivadze, who later changed his name to George Balanchine, staged dances in Rimsky-Korsakov’s opera The Golden Cockerel at the theater. It was there that the renowned ballet The Bright Stream to Dmitry Shostakovich’s score was first staged in 1935 by Lopukhov.

At various times in its history the following outstanding Russian ballet masters have taken the helm of the Mikhailovsky Ballet Company: Leonid Lavrovsky, Pyotr Gusev, Igor Belsky, Konstantin Boyarsky, Oleg Vinogradov, Nikolai Boyarchikov, Farukh Ruzimatov, and Nacho Duato. At present, the Company’s Ballet Master in Chief is Mikhail Messerer.

Mikhailovsky Ballet is a young, thriving company that effortlessly combines classical traditions with a modern look, and does not shy away from creative experiments. The Company’s Principal Dancers include world-class stars, as well as recent graduates from Russia’s top ballet schools and academies.

Tickets are: Orchestra & 1st Ring $29, $55, $89, $129 & $149; 2nd & 3rd Ring $29, $55, $89 &$129; 4th Ring $55, $89, & $129. There also will be only 25 Premium ticket packages for each performance (best in the Orchestra, souvenir program, a glass of champagne, meet company members). Buy 2 programs get a 10% discount; 3 programs with a 20% discount. Tickets can be purchased at the box office and at (212) 496-0600; or by Fax at (212) 580-2545 and on the web. http://davidhkochtheater.com/

NB: Osipova has changed her dates for her November MONTH IN THE COUNTRY performances with the Royal Ballet and will be performing on 5th November rather than 12th November (when that role will be danced by Yanowsky). Consequently, she will, I assume, be entirely free to dance the Giselles with that dancer's dancer Leonid Sarafanov in New York.

Thank you for posting. I would be a hypocrite not to feel for Royal Ballet goers who bought tickets planning to see her in A Month in the Country, but I, too, am just delighted by this news...(No guarantees of course for any performance, but at least now I'm not only scheduled to see her with Sarafanov in Giselle, but I don't feel like a chump.)

Luckily for RB goers, ROH allows ticket holders to return tickets and the ROH will try to resell them. When I was in London this August, I returned a pair of Swan a Lake tickets when Stepanova was replaced by Skorik. The ROH was very pleasant about it, my tickets were resold and I got my money back.

La Scala sent out a tweet a few hours ago that Osipova has cancelled her Don Q tonight.

For a sudden Indisposition #NataliaOsipova won't dance tonight. She will dance on 25 & 27. @NicolettaManni will be Kitri with @lsarafanov

Fingers crossed for the NYC engagement in November!

Goodness! Zakharova also pulled out and Vasiliev is in the hospital, supposedly due to illness.

According to tweets today from La Scala, Tamara Rojo had to cancel her Don Q on the 24th due to "unforeseen circumstances in London." So now Osipova is doing the 24th, 25th, and 27th! Let's hope she survives healthy and well for New York!

Guest Sleeping Beauty

Hello to everyone! On the issue about the Mik tour in NY, I can tell you, that exсept Osipova, Vorontsova and Soboleva, there definitely will be Borchenko and Perren, that’s worth seeing. In St.Pete I saw Borchenko as Mirtha, and I think she has prepared it specially for NY tour, because she has never performed this role before, as I know.
Also I hope we'll see Perren in The Flames (as Diana Mireille in a couple with Victor Lebedev as Mistrale) and in Prelude with Sarafanov (they're very impressive duet).

Besides in September I saw The Class Concert in Mik and can tell you that this is the quintessence of the best that we love in ballet.
Osipova, Vasiliev, Vorontsova, Soboleva, Borchenko, Lebedev - this is rad!!!!

Ekaterina Borchenko will dance Mirtha three times: November 11, 12 (evening) and 13. She will be also Diana Mireille in a couple with Victor Lebedev: November 15 (morning). Irina Perren will perform the same role in a couple with Leonid Sarafanov: November 14, 15 (evening) and 16. Borchenko stars also as the Queen of dryads: November 20, 21 and 22 (evening).

Some helpful videos!

Soboleva in "Giselle" (debut performance):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEhop5ZIe8o

Lebedev in "Giselle":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNlkbjvuwF8

Bondareva & Sarafanov in "Don Quixote":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5oEEBvSSOQ

Sarafanov in "Don Quixote":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahOiyf7t6R0

Vorontsova in "Don Quixote":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyCysblm6_Q

Borchenko in "Don Quixote":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRRhcYwTzlA

Vorontsova & Zaytsev in "Flames of Paris":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNg9tqRrwZ4

Borchenko & Lebedev in "Flames of Paris":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ydlkTOqWp8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld47sMpq3p8

Just seeing these pictures make me envy you lucky NYers this Giselle with two of the finest dancers available in the world of classical ballet today. Sarafanov's entrechats six are the only ones I know that can come close to replicating my memory of Bujones'. Of course, I mustn't grumble. We just had the joy - and boy did it build to a heady climb after three performances - of Osipova's Natalia Petrovna in Ashton's Month in the Country. (How I would love to see her dance THAT with Sarafanov.) By her final performance last week every aspect not only of her vivid etching of that part but that too of all others involved was blissfully elevated. Osipova's final few moments are seared in my memory even now .... and I'm certain they shall be for some time to come.

I think most Americans have never heard of the Mikhailovsky. The first time I ever heard of the company was when Osipova and Vasiliev quit the Bolshoi to go the Mik. Without dancers who most balletomane New Yorkers will recognize (Osipova, Vasilev, Sarafanov), I don't think ticket sales would be strong. I think that was why they scrapped the tour to NY a few years ago once the Mik found out that ABT intended to enforce the non compete clause regarding Osipova and Vasiliev. Sad to think that an entire tour could revolve around 2 or 3 individuals. .

I think it is also confusing that the Mikhailovsky changed their name back (during the soviet years when the Mariinsky was the Kirov, the Mikhaiovsky was the Maly theatre).