This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB 2024-25

Yay! Looks like Suzanne Farrell will be back to set another one of her roles at NYCB: Variations for Orchestra (with the help of her ballet master Michael Cook - don't want to forget his assistance). I'm really hoping this relationship grows to the point where Farrell will have City Ballet be the depository of all the work she revived for her company: selections from Don Q, Clarinade, Divertimento Brilliant etc..  And another seldom seen Balanchine ballet at NYCB is also returning: Sylvia Pas de Deux. And Andrew Vedette is retiring. I must have missed that announcement. I think he's been dancing as well as he ever has. I will miss him. 

23 minutes ago, Dale said:

....Andrew Vedette is retiring. I must have missed that announcement. I think he's been dancing as well as he ever has. I will miss him. 

Just got my subscription renewal notice and noticed that Veyette is retiring.  I didn't know about this either.  As you say, he's been dancing well and I'll miss him too. 

1 hour ago, NinaFan said:

Just got my subscription renewal notice and noticed that Veyette is retiring.  I didn't know about this either.  As you say, he's been dancing well and I'll miss him too. 

Yes - Sunday, May 25, for those who haven't seen the schedule. So he'll be dancing the entire season.

19 minutes ago, Fernie M said:

I wonder why no Chaconne?

I’m surprised no other retirements announced. 

Chaconne is listed for spring... so a year from now. That seems really long to wait!

I too am surprised at no more retirements listed. Maybe they will happen as the year progresses. 

Perusing the Fall schedule, I am very glad to see Mozartiana and Tchaikovsky PC#2 returning. They will need at least one new principal for Mozartiana. Please -- not Unity. I could see Woodward doing this, but would also love to see Nadon and/or Kikta. 

Taking a look at the overall upcoming year, while I have some complaints there is also a lot to be happy about. The Fall season is perhaps the least interesting of the three seasons, but at least it starts off with a Balanchine bang with Mozartiana, and Coppelia should be interesting as well. The Winter season has some all-Balanchine and all-Stravinsky programs, and I love the idea of the Tallchief Centennial! It will be an honor to be cast in those roles (Scotch Symphony, Firebird, Sylvia pdd). And Divertimento No. 15, fab, fab fab!!! I will probably be skipping out on Carnival of the Animals again, which is annoying. Then for Spring, another great-looking all-Balanchine program with both Ballo della Regina and Chaconne! Followed by another all-Balanchine program of Divertimento and Vienna Waltzes... wow!! Hope I can hold out till then, that's over a year away. Concluding with another run of A Midsummer Night's Dream, I can never get enough of this. So some blah in there, but also a lot to look forward to. 

Agree with you, cobweb. Lots to look forward to on the schedule. I thought the Divertimento No. 15/Vienna Waltzes program seemed light. I don't think I've ever seen Vienna Waltzes on a two-ballet program unless it was paired with another long ballet like Liebeslieder or Dances at a Gathering. 

3 hours ago, cobweb said:

Taking a look at the overall upcoming year, while I have some complaints there is also a lot to be happy about. The Fall season is perhaps the least interesting of the three seasons, but at least it starts off with a Balanchine bang with Mozartiana, and Coppelia should be interesting as well. The Winter season has some all-Balanchine and all-Stravinsky programs, and I love the idea of the Tallchief Centennial! It will be an honor to be cast in those roles (Scotch Symphony, Firebird, Sylvia pdd). And Divertimento No. 15, fab, fab fab!!! I will probably be skipping out on Carnival of the Animals again, which is annoying. Then for Spring, another great-looking all-Balanchine program with both Ballo della Regina and Chaconne! Followed by another all-Balanchine program of Divertimento and Vienna Waltzes... wow!! Hope I can hold out till then, that's over a year away. Concluding with another run of A Midsummer Night's Dream, I can never get enough of this. So some blah in there, but also a lot to look forward to. 

I very much agree cobweb. To my way of thinking the coming year, overall, is the best programing done by the current leadership. Add to that the announcement that all evening shows will start at 7:30, and whenever possible intermissions will be kept to just one, I'm a happy camper!

14 hours ago, vipa said:

Add to that the announcement that all evening shows will start at 7:30, and whenever possible intermissions will be kept to just one, I'm a happy camper!

I didn't have an issue with 8:00 curtain on Friday and Saturday (I definitely prefer the earlier time on weeknights), but I am glad to hear about fewer intermissions. I hope they also cut all speeches. I also wish they would make the running time more readily available. Sure I can ask the usher when I get there, but they could also put on the website. Lots of people have to follow a train or bus schedule to get home, and it would help to be able to plan more in advance. 

... while I'm on the topic of complaints, I wish they would be more consistent about no late seating. In recent years they've really loosened up on people entering after the music starts. It almost seems like they made a policy decision that seating is allowable during the overture, up until the curtain goes up. But this past winter it was even worse, I was at several shows where people were coming in, at the beginning and after intermisisons, while dancing had already started. So disruptive.

Interesting how the standard curtain time has drifted over the years. Up until the seventies it was 8:30 (Noel Coward has a play titled "Tonight at 8:30"). And a 1926 issue of Drama Calendar lists varying curtain times of 8:15, 8:35, 8:45,& 9:00 for theater events (apparently there were no stand-alone ballet performances then). I'm always running late, so when i lived in New York – at Bowery & Houston, a whole world away from NY State Theater – I really appreciated the 8:00 curtain .

Edited by Quiggin
1 minute ago, Quiggin said:

Interesting how the standard curtain time has drifted over the years. Up until the seventies it was 8:30 (Noel Coward has a play titled "Tonight at 8:30"). And a 1926 issue of Drama Calendar lists varying curtain times of 8:15, 8:35, 8:45,& 9:00 for theater events

That is interesting. Audiences have probably changed too. Back in 1926, maybe a lot of the audience didn't have a regular job to get to the next morning, or wasn't trying to get home to New Jersey or an outer borough. 

Speaking as someone who now visits New York as a tourist, I'm sorry that there is less variety in programs each week. This year, the fourth week of the winter and spring seasons feature five different programs over 7 shows (which proved irresistible when one of the repeating programs was Four Temperaments plus Liebeslieder). Next spring the Innovators and Icons II program will be performed six times over the span of seven days. Perhaps it is easier on the dancers to have a smaller number of ballets in rotation at any given time.

It is occasionally possible to see a larger number of programs by straddling the weekend. The second weekend and beginning of the third week of winter 2025 will feature five different programs. It's just a matter of finding something else to do on Monday night.

Edited by volcanohunter

I received the 2024-25 subscribers calendar in the mail today. One listing made me a bit wistful. 

Andrew Veyette Farewell May 25, 2025  

I’ll be quite sad to see him retire from NYCB. Any guesses or suggestions for rep he should perform?

I’d love to see the pas he does in Everywhere We Go. He and Sterling Hyltin originated those parts  

On 4/16/2024 at 9:59 PM, volcanohunter said:

Speaking as someone who now visits New York as a tourist, I'm sorry that there is less variety in programs each week. This year, the fourth week of the winter and spring seasons feature five different programs over 7 shows (which proved irresistible when one of the repeating programs was Four Temperaments plus Liebeslieder). Next spring the Innovators and Icons II program will be performed six times over the span of seven days. Perhaps it is easier on the dancers to have a smaller number of ballets in rotation at any given time.

It is occasionally possible to see a larger number of programs by straddling the weekend. The second weekend and beginning of the third week of winter 2025 will feature five different programs. It's just a matter of finding something else to do on Monday night.

I agree, volcannohunter. I used to load up on Saturdays with maybe two different programs but the pairings in the coming seasons aren't as interesting to me. 

On a different note, finally got around to reading the NYT story on the new seasons and I guess I missed this news: "Alexei Ratmansky (Feb. 6), the company’s artist in residence. He will stage a suite of dances from Petipa’s full-length “Paquita” that incorporates the “Minkus Pas de Trois,” Balanchine’s restaging of the ballet’s pas de trois." Again, another rare Balanchine is being brought back. I think it's interesting that Whelan herself performed in some of the works revived for the historic 1993 Balanchine Celebration season. I'm pleased to think that maybe Wendy, having that experience, has led to her bringing those ballets back. She was in the cast for the revival of Haieff Divertimento in 1993. I don't believe it was performed thereafter before being brought back more recently. Whoever is responsible for these revivals, kudos. I'm looking forward to seeing these works, again.

2 hours ago, Dale said:

On a different note, finally got around to reading the NYT story on the new seasons and I guess I missed this news: "Alexei Ratmansky (Feb. 6), the company’s artist in residence. He will stage a suite of dances from Petipa’s full-length “Paquita” that incorporates the “Minkus Pas de Trois,” Balanchine’s restaging of the ballet’s pas de trois." Again, another rare Balanchine is being brought back. I think it's interesting that Whelan herself performed in some of the works revived for the historic 1993 Balanchine Celebration season. I'm pleased to think that maybe Wendy, having that experience, has led to her bringing those ballets back. She was in the cast for the revival of Haieff Divertimento in 1993. I don't believe it was performed thereafter before being brought back more recently. Whoever is responsible for these revivals, kudos. I'm looking forward to seeing these works, again.

I am very glad to read this. I was genuinely distressed when Igor Zelensky took over the Bavarian State Ballet and literally threw Ratmansky's reconstruction of Paquita onto the scrap heap. I haven't enjoyed Ratmansky's reconstructions equally, but that one was revelatory for me.

On 4/17/2024 at 4:58 PM, volcanohunter said:

According to the company's site, it will be the third movement of Glass Pieces, Chiaroscuro and Stars and Stripes.

If Stars & Stripes is involved, Veyette is going out with a bang. I'm trying to picture what he will do in the 3rd movement of Glass Pieces, though. I guess he will be the first guy who runs out leading the rest.