This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Nutcracker 2023

1 hour ago, DPell said:

Misty said on James’ podcast that Nutcracker will be her first performances.

That's true, but that episode was from back in February, and I wonder if she's still aiming to return this winter. When she appeared on Conversations on Dance in late June, her plans sounded much more vague (at 3:55 in this transcript).

My gut is that she won't return for Nutcracker this winter, and I wouldn't be surprised if she only appears again with ABT in a very limited capacity, if at all. I don't see her returning to Petipa or similarly demanding repertoire.

I'll be very interested to see if she appears in the casting for Costa Mesa.

Edited by fondoffouettes
1 hour ago, fondoffouettes said:

That's true, but that episode was from back in February, and I wonder if she's still aiming to return this winter. When she appeared on Conversations on Dance in late June, her plans sounded much more vague (at 3:55 in this transcript).

My gut is that she won't return for Nutcracker this winter, and I wouldn't be surprised if she only appears again with ABT in a very limited capacity, if at all. I don't see her returning to Petipa or similarly demanding repertoire.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that she said she would try to come back Fall of 2024, not this year and no Nutcracker this December. 

2 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

I saw Misty interview Tharp on PBS in a program taped in or around July 2023.  Twyla asked her about when she would return to dance, and Misty's response was also vague.     

2 hours ago, MoMo said:

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that she said she would try to come back Fall of 2024, not this year and no Nutcracker this December. 

She'd said fall of 2023 around the time her child's birth was announced, and then revised her come-back date as Nutcracker season 2023 when she spoke with Whiteside.

https://people.com/parents/misty-copeland-secretly-welcomes-first-baby-exclusive/

1 minute ago, fondoffouettes said:

She'd said fall of 2023 around the time her child's birth was announced, and then revised her come-back date as Nutcracker season 2023 when she spoke with Whiteside.

https://people.com/parents/misty-copeland-secretly-welcomes-first-baby-exclusive/

Thank you for this article. I have not seen her in any rehearsals on Instagram for Fall performances, which start on October 18th. 

1 hour ago, AB'sMom said:

Casting has been posted. No Misty. Teuscher/Ahn, Seo/Camargo, Hurlin/Bell, Brandt/Cornejo, Shevchenko/Forster, Boylston/Whiteside, Trenary/Royal, Park/Stearns. The only combo doing 2 shows is Seo, Teuscher, Hurlin and Brandt. 

Where is the casting posted? Thank you. 

I got tickets to the two casts with debuts: Seo/Carmago and Park/Stearns. I'll wait for other parts of the theater to open (since we are still doing this gradual release irritation, also why I haven't bought tickets to Woolf Works) to consider other casts (or a promo code).

2 hours ago, ksk04 said:

I got tickets to the two casts with debuts: Seo/Carmago and Park/Stearns. I'll wait for other parts of the theater to open (since we are still doing this gradual release irritation, also why I haven't bought tickets to Woolf Works) to consider other casts (or a promo code).

I'll look forward to reading your thoughts on both, and others, if you care to share. Wish I could attend.

3 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

I'll look forward to reading your thoughts on both, and others, if you care to share. Wish I could attend.

I have tickets for Boylston/Whiteside on December 14th. I chose that date because my entourage and me could only attend on that date. I chose the date before casting was announced. Two of my attendees are first timers for ABT Nutcracker. 

On 11/11/2023 at 7:04 PM, MoMo said:

I have tickets for Boylston/Whiteside on December 14th. I chose that date because my entourage and me could only attend on that date. I chose the date before casting was announced. Two of my attendees are first timers for ABT Nutcracker. 

I just watched the ABT Studio perform on You Tube tonight. Really outstanding performances from these young artists. Sascha Radetsky said members of the Studio Company will perform in Nutcracker in December in Orange County. 

15 hours ago, MoMo said:

I just watched the ABT Studio perform on You Tube tonight. Really outstanding performances from these young artists. Sascha Radetsky said members of the Studio Company will perform in Nutcracker in December in Orange County. 

I saw ABT Studio Company  perform in person in Jefferson Parish, a suburb of New Orleans on November 10th. They are a uniformly strong troup of young  dancers. Sasha Radetsky has quite the eye for talent. My personal favs are the charismatically explosive Takumi Miyake, wondrously versatile  Madison Brown  - whose career I've followed closely since she was a thirteen-year-old competion kid winning awards in both ballet and contemporary - and the old-school elegant young Spaniard Alejandro Valero Outlaw.

Unfortunately, my other favorite amongst this group - Finnian Carmeci, didn't perform. Despite his youth, his skill as a partner is jaw-dropping.  Already he and Kyra Coco make a fabulous dancing couple. 

Oh, and the new piece by Houston Thomas called "Knife's Edge" that was commisioned for the Studio Company, is smashing. A few have grumbled that it's a Forsythe rip-off, but if it is, it's a fantastic one. 

Edited by Tapfan