This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Nutcracker 2023

I saw the Brandt/Cornejo matinee performance earlier today. I saw them in 2021 (Brandt’s “Adult Clara” debut?) and ideally wanted to see a different principal pairing, but this afternoon was the only time my family could make it to the show. Still, I enjoyed their performance - it felt very much like a repeat of 2021. Brandt was pretty good, she excels at showcasing both energy and control in her dancing…but Cornejo was less stellar (even compared to the 2021performance). His feet looked floppy and he seemed to run out of steam in his Act 2 solo. I noticed some partnering wobbles during the Snow pas and Skylar fell out of one of her turns in the Grand pas and as a result had to sort of improvise the choreography for a few seconds. I doubt it was too noticeable to the average theatergoer and it happened super fast so I’m not sure who to attribute the stumble to. The corps looked strong today, dancing-wise, but wish they would work a bit on keeping in line with one another (when the choreography calls for it, of course), particularly during Flowers and Snow. I’ve noticed this exact same thing for the past few years I’ve been watching the show live. Also, the theater was packed!! No concern over ticket sales here. It was actually quite fun and festive going to a daytime performance. In recent years I’ve gone at night. 

Edited by Caballetfan
5 hours ago, Caballetfan said:

I saw the Brandt/Cornejo matinee performance earlier today. I saw them in 2021 (Brandt’s “Adult Clara” debut?) and ideally wanted to see a different principal pairing, but this afternoon was the only time my family could make it to the show. Still, I enjoyed their performance - it felt very much like a repeat of 2021. Brandt was pretty good, she excels at showcasing both energy and control in her dancing…but Cornejo was less stellar (even compared to the 2021performance). His feet looked floppy and he seemed to run out of steam in his Act 2 solo. I noticed some partnering wobbles during the Snow pas and Skylar fell out of one of her turns in the Grand pas and as a result had to sort of improvise the choreography for a few seconds. I doubt it was too noticeable to the average theatergoer and it happened super fast so I’m not sure who to attribute the stumble to. The corps looked strong today, dancing-wise, but wish they would work a bit on keeping in line with one another (when the choreography calls for it, of course), particularly during Flowers and Snow. I’ve noticed this exact same thing for the past few years I’ve been watching the show live. Also, the theater was packed!! No concern over ticket sales here. It was actually quite fun and festive going to a daytime performance. In recent years I’ve gone at night. 

Thank you for this report on the Brandt-Cornejo performance. It's not surprising that Cornejo is slipping technically.   People saw the same thing in his Etudes and Dream performances this fall. This isn't in a league with Nureyev's painfully visible deterioration when he refused to leave the stage, but I hope Cornejo is realistic about his strengths and increasing weaknesses and retires on a high note.

Did anybody see the Bell-Hurlin performance Saturday night? Kicking myself that I didn't make plans to see them at Segerstrom this year. 

2 hours ago, California said:

Thank you for this report on the Brandt-Cornejo performance. It's not surprising that Cornejo is slipping technically.   People saw the same thing in his Etudes and Dream performances this fall. This isn't in a league with Nureyev's painfully visible deterioration when he refused to leave the stage, but I hope Cornejo is realistic about his strengths and increasing weaknesses and retires on a high note. 

Gosh California, I thought of Nureyev as well while reading this report (I saw Nureyev when he was in his late 40’s and it was so bittersweet- beyond painful yet exciting to see Nureyev!). I think Cornejo being able to leave on a high note has come and gone. 

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

Gosh California, I thought of Nureyev as well while reading this report (I saw Nureyev when he was in his late 40’s and it was so bittersweet- beyond painful yet exciting to see Nureyev!). I think Cornejo being able to leave on a high note has come and gone. 

Interesting documentary with clips of Nureyev in his last decade. It would be exciting to see his charisma, even with the technical decline.

But I think Baryshnikov had the right idea. Word would get out that he was doing his last performance of ballet X or Y. After his ugly departure from ABT in 1989, he moved over to contemporary things choreographed for him with his middle-age abilities. 

I saw Christine Shevchenko and Thomas Forster last night. Overall, the show was clean and the dancers looked confident. Shevchenko had a stunning balance early in her solo, and seemed comfortable in both pas de deux in the capable hands of Foster. He also had a fairly good night, with really nice coupe-jetes in the half manege part of the coda. The only mistake I noticed was that he stumbled slightly out of a turn in the grand pas, but he covered it up well- my mother said she didn't even notice it when I mentioned it after the show. Torch lift was clean and drew lots of applause. Forster is a very sturdy partner and Christine's confidence in him, especially in lifts, was visible. Rotational lift in the snow pas de deux was also beautiful, probably the fastest speed I've ever seen it done at. Overall, they were lovely together and have nice chemistry with each other.

As for a few other standouts: Jake Roxander in Harlequin, SunMi Park in Spanish, and Chloe Misseldine in Sisters. Roxander stole the party scene for me. He has a stunning balance of musicality and technical precision, almost Tiler Peck-esque. Park was charming in Spanish, I really enjoyed watching her confidence in the role. Misseldine also stood out with her gorgeous port de bras and secure pointe work.

As for the rest of the ballet, I could have used a bit more energy in the first act; sometimes the party scene seems a bit long for me. Corps numbers looked nice, snow and waltz were clean and elegant. As a whole, ABT looked strong, and it was great to see some up and comers.

On 12/11/2023 at 7:13 AM, California said:

It's not surprising that Cornejo is slipping technically.   People saw the same thing in his Etudes and Dream performances this fall. This isn't in a league with Nureyev's painfully visible deterioration when he refused to leave the stage, but I hope Cornejo is realistic about his strengths and increasing weaknesses and retires on a high note.

Cornejo didn't dance Puck in "The Dream" this Fall.  It was Roxander and Magbitang.  Cornejo danced Puck in Fall 2022, I saw one and it was good but not the unreal aerial miracle it was in the aughts.  

I saw his second and last performance in "Etudes" on the Saturday matinee of October 21.  He actually danced very well that afternoon, according to a friend much better than he danced at the prima.  

Cornejo has good and bad nights, like any dancer in his 40's with age and injury piling up.  When he is good, which still happens, he is worth it all.

BTW: on his social media his mentioned that the "Giselle" Albrecht in Japan will be his last, so he is letting go of roles.  Which is wise.

2 hours ago, California said:

Teuscher just posted in Instagram stories that she can't dance Nutcracker Saturday night due to a "health issue," but Boylston-Whitehead will sub. I don't see that change on either the ABT or Segerstrom site. 

Interesting that they’re subbing the entire couple instead of just Teuscher. But, partnering-wise I’m sure that’s best.