This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2023-2024 Season

I was also at the Sunday matinee. The last time I had seen Ashley Bouder dance was in Fall 22 in, I think, a ballet that involved waltzing couples, but don't think it was Vienna Waltzes, and she was dancing alone. At that time I was annoyed because I was trying to identify dancers I didn't know well, but she kept appearing  in my binocular lenses instead of whoever I wanted to see.

She did not seem much different Sunday. I noticed again how much she was using her arms, only this time I was also thinking I wonder if she is using the arms so much to compensate for what she can't do with legs and feet. I was sitting on the side so did not get a good view of her face but she did not seem to do all the smirking and eye rolling that so annoyed me in the past and was perhaps the main reason why I had tried to avoid performances with her in them, going back quite a few years. She still seemed rather thick in the middle, but I think that happens to many dancers as they get older. I remember seeing  a social media post of Tiler Peck during the lockdown, I think it was maybe the Swan Lake  benefit thing principals from several companies did from home or wherever they were during the lockdown. and not even recognizing her at first. I thought it was a different person She just seemed so much fuller all over (including face) than I remembered her. Maybe I never took a good look at her before or maybe the photo was just unflattering, or I suppose it is possible she had gained some weight or just started to spread a bit.

I would have a lot more confidence in Ashley Bouder if she could do Dewdrop again. I thought that was a great role for her. I have only seen her do it on YouTube but would buy a ticket to see it in person if she reprised that role. 

Posted (edited)

Had a fantastic time at the ballet last night for Pictures at an Exhibition / Red Angels / Playtime / Glass Pieces.

Pictures had strong performances from the whole cast, especially Nadon who more than did justice to the Sara Mearns role. Phenomeonal attack. Von Enck had a successful debut in the Tiler Peck part, and I appreciated how she brought her own interpretation and wasn't trying to imitate Tiler Peck. Tyler Angle had an uncharacteristic partnering flub in the slow pas de deux with Alexa Maxwell; he struggled to get her into the tricky final traveling lift. His solo dancing was very good though, and I'm impressed by his improvement this whole season after a questionable "should he retire?" period. Takahashi had to do more partnering than usual (mostly with Olivia MacKinnon, who is too tall for him), and he still looks uncomfortable in that area. 

Count me in as a Red Angels fan. Love the funky feel with that electric violin, plus the spotlights and red unitards. Nadon and Danchig-Waring were pitch-perfect as expected; both shine in neoclassical work. Gordon and Afanaskenkov were more classical in style -- it almost felt like watching Igor Zelensky and a Russian ballerina take on funky contemporary ballet -- but I enjoyed their performances too. The audience loved it. 

I wish Playtime hadn't been included on this otherwise fantastic program. For me, this ballet is as bad, maybe even worse, than Gustave le Grey. I find the costume silhouettes grotesquely hideous and the choreography completely forgettable. Solange's music has some appealing melodies but lacks a coherent structure. The work almost has a 1950s musical feel but doesn't lean into that element enough. I know this was a big draw when it premiered because of Solange, but the audience response was very tepid last night. No fault to the cast -- they looked great. 

Glass Pieces always brings down the house, and this was an energetic and  sleek performance from the corps and principals, especially Phelan and Danchig-Waring who are first-rate in bendy modernist works. What a masterpiece. I almost wish it were longer. 

Edited by matilda

I too was bored with Play Time, but I enjoyed the rest of the program. When Play Time first premiered it was a sell out because it brought in fans of Solange Knowles.  Not so now.  

Nadon was great in Pictures.  Fearless and expansive.  

Posted (edited)

A few thoughts on last night’s performance:

Pictures at an Exhibition — considering the difficulty of the choreography (to me it’s too kinetic for kinetic sake) the group did well in this first performance (more often than not these first performances are more practice runs).  Very nice to see Ashley back on stage.  And Aaron is looking really sharp and confident.  And Tyler seems a decade younger — there’s a new vitality in his dancing.  And Chan keeps surprising — his speed, clarity, commitment, and calm — wonderful.  But really — there was only one dancer on stage — Mira.  To see her in full flight — is to see ballet at its limit — and I don’t really think of her as an allegro dancer — and it’s not really very good choreography — but Mira’s speed and expansiveness, musicality and elegance, attack and daring were on full display — golly, she was flirting with whiplash!  (Note: as this is AAPI Heritage Month — shout out to Chan, Huxley, Takahashi and Mira!)
Red Angels - This cast delivered tonight — no practice run here — a full fledged sparkling performance by all 4 dancers!  Bravo!  I think Ulysses Dove would have been very happy — the performance had what it needs most — Confidence and Personality!   Surprised by how well Joseph and Adrian did — really fun to see this different side of them —  ballet with a bit of sashay!  And Dominika held her own with Mira (no easy feat) — dancing within her own vast potential — she keeps exceeding every new role that comes her way (last night she reminded me of a young Janie Taylor).  And Mira seemed to add what she learned from Errante — the spontaneity — the dancing within the music, her playing with her options, her theatrical nature (the downward glance, the gaze straight to the audience, the sly smile) — makes this a wonderful role for her.  Fierce.
Play Time — Insipid.
Glass Pieces — Unity and Adrian were excellent in their pas de deux.  And in the Akhnaten section — my body seemed energized by the music and movement of the men on stage — wow — the male dancers (all corp) just seemed to vibrate above the stage with expansive energy — I’ve never seen this section danced better — and the energy kept building — and when the women (all corp as well) came on — their energy matched the men’s.  Exhilaration.  

Edited by deanofdance

Week 6 casting is up https://res.cloudinary.com/new-york-city-ballet/image/upload/v1715715039/NYCB_Casting_May_28-June_2_2024_lobby.pdf

I won't be seeing Bouder as Helena so would welcome any reports.

Also, there are 2 MCB dancers doing the divertissment on 5/31 and the 6/1 matinee. Again, I am unable to attend those performances however I saw both of those dancers in MCB's SL in Broward. I found Naturkis beautiful, she was my favorite of their O/Os.

Disappointed that Mejia is not getting Oberon this season.

Long dress and running around the stage sounds like a good fit for Bouder right now.  However, doesn't she have to appear in Act II in a tutu and do some classical ballet?  

Yes, since the Divertissement is a triple wedding celebration for Hermia/Lysander, Helena/Demitrious, and Hippolita/Theseus.  All three couples dance together and then have short PDDs.

Such a casting feast for Midsummer! Orchestra and 1st-3rd rings are almost totally sold out for every performance, was so glad I could nab a ticket for the Miller/Ulbricht cast with KJ's debut as Puck (a role he seems poised to hit out of the park). Also excited for Naomi Corti as Hippolyta and Alexa Maxwell as Helena! Alexa is so good in comic roles like that, and Corti seems to have the attack to be a great Hippolyta. 

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

Bouder is exhausting.

The management seems to be going out of its way to find roles for her in her current state.  At 40 years old she is debuting Helena.  To me, this is proof that her assertions that management is persecuting her is rubbish.

Edited by abatt

It's great to see Naomi Corti getting such a big opportunity! Maxwell and Takahashi obviously should be GREAT in their new roles. I would have liked to see Mary Thomas MacKinnon as Helena or Hermia, she has a wonderful dramatic presence. Also just have to say -- I will really, REALLY miss Harrison Ball's Puck. 😔

I'm wondering about the run of Jewels at Kennedy Center. If Christina Clark continues to be out, that means they have only two "Tall Girls" -- Kikta and Nadon. That would likely mean no Nadon debut in Diamonds. Either way, I wonder if they will debut a new Tall Girl. Corti and MT MacKinnon are great candidates for this. 

I am seeing ads on Facebook for the Jewels run. They are advertising it with a beautiful photo of Unity Phelan and Adrian Danchig-Waring in Emeralds, and also a segment of Rubies -- with Mejia and a woman I can't identify. Doesn't look like Tiler Peck, doesn't look like Megan Fairchild. Has anyone else seen this, and can you tell who she is?

1 hour ago, cobweb said:

I'm wondering about the run of Jewels at Kennedy Center. If Christina Clark continues to be out, that means they have only two "Tall Girls" -- Kikta and Nadon. That would likely mean no Nadon debut in Diamonds. Either way, I wonder if they will debut a new Tall Girl. Corti and MT MacKinnon are great candidates for this.

Is MT MacKinnon tall enough? Last time I saw Jewels with a dancer who wasn't quite as tall as most Tall Girls it was Claire Kretschmer. While I liked her very much in general, I felt her Tall Girl didn't have enough impact. My choice for a new Tall Girl would be Ava Sautter.

14 minutes ago, nysusan said:

Is MT MacKinnon tall enough? Last time I saw Jewels with a dancer who wasn't quite as tall as most Tall Girls it was Claire Kretschmer. While I liked her very much in general, I felt her Tall Girl didn't have enough impact. My choice for a new Tall Girl would be Ava Sautter.

You may be right that MT MacKinnon is not super tall. I think of her as fierce and impactful, and that probably adds a few inches to her height, in my mind. I agree I like a tall Tall Girl. On the other hand, Christina Clark is super tall, and I found her very dull as the Tall Girl. And when San Francisco Ballet did Jewels during the pandemic, the Tall Girl -- I am not familiar with the company and forget the name of the soloist -- was not tall at all, and I thought she was terrific. So while I agree the Tall Girl should be tall, a compelling stage presence also goes a long, long way. 

1 hour ago, cobweb said:

It's great to see Naomi Corti getting such a big opportunity! Maxwell and Takahashi obviously should be GREAT in their new roles. I would have liked to see Mary Thomas MacKinnon as Helena or Hermia, she has a wonderful dramatic presence. Also just have to say -- I will really, REALLY miss Harrison Ball's Puck. 😔

I am seeing ads on Facebook for the Jewels run. They are advertising it with a beautiful photo of Unity Phelan and Adrian Danchig-Waring in Emeralds, and also a segment of Rubies -- with Mejia and a woman I can't identify. Doesn't look like Tiler Peck, doesn't look like Megan Fairchild. Has anyone else seen this, and can you tell who she is?

Mira Nadon just shared a picture on Insta stories where she's wearing the Diamonds tutu  . . .

5 minutes ago, cobweb said:

So while I agree the Tall Girl should be tall, a compelling stage presence also goes a long, long way. 

PNB'S Carrie Imler was a "medium" and she was a spectacular Tall Girl.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, bellawood said:

Mira Nadon just shared a picture on Insta stories where she's wearing the Diamonds tutu

I hope so, very excited. Diamonds would make sense with her lack of casting in the run of Midsummer.

Edited by Fernie M
N
26 minutes ago, bellawood said:

Mira Nadon just shared a picture on Insta stories where she's wearing the Diamonds tutu  . . .

Thank You for this info.  I'm ready to book my trip.  Just need to know the dates she is doing Diamonds.

Really enjoyed Pictures at an Exhibition on Tuesday eve! Cast was uniformly wonderful.  Ashley Laracey is just such a lovely dancer. I was very impressed with how much Olivia MacKinnon has come into her own this season. She was wonderful in DAAG on Sunday (where I was also very Impressed with Dominika and her gorgeous upper body and arm movement quality). Special shout out to Anthony Huxley’s absolutely silent landings on all of his jumps!! 
I will continue to try to see as much of Mira as I possibly can. She is a true star, and such a natural on stage.

6 hours ago, abatt said:

When Play Time first premiered it was a sell out because it brought in fans of Solange Knowles.  Not so now.  

I'm not surprised. Winning new audiences is never as easy as that. So on balance are the high-profile commissions and expensive costumes worth it?

Does anyone know if there was a sponsor for Play Time?  If so, the company wouldn't have the option of using the money for something else, and production sponsorships are popular.

If I were a rich donor, I might want to do that, but, since I'm not, almost all of my donations go mostly into general funds, with a couple of exceptions.  In my head, the money goes to the "paper towel fund."

In the program there is a list of donors credited for supporting Play Time, plus the "New Combinations" fund for new works. And Swarovski sponsored the costumes (they are covered in crystals). So I don't think this was a burden on the company budget. 

10 minutes ago, Helene said:

Does anyone know if there was a sponsor for Play Time?  If so, the company wouldn't have the option of using the money for something else, and production sponsorships are popular.

If I were a rich donor, I might want to do that, but, since I'm not, almost all of my donations go mostly into general funds, with a couple of exceptions.  In my head, the money goes to the "paper towel fund."