This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

American Ballet Theatre 2021-2022 season

1 hour ago, Marta said:

naomikage said:

Speaking of Daniel Camargo, Giselle at Teatro Colon in Argentine with Osipova and Camargo as leads will be streamed on April 17th 17:00 local time for free.

https://teatrocolon.org.ar/es/en-vivo

Does anyone know if this will be available after the live perf. is over on Sunday ?

Will it just be streamed via that page? There is no information on the "how" of the streaming.

I wish I could tell you, but the streams the Teatro Colón posted on YouTube during the pandemic are still available. 

I also remember that when the theater began streaming on its own site a few years before that, they were crashing constantly.

Let's hope for the former.

P.S. Buenos Aires is one hour ahead of Eastern Time, so in New York the start time is 4:00 pm.

Edited by volcanohunter
23 hours ago, aurora said:

Will it just be streamed via that page? There is no information on the "how" of the streaming.

I apologize because of my limited knowledge about this, but from the email I received it will be possible to watch the performance through different platforms:

Mirá la transmisión de Giselle en tu pantalla

Este domingo a las 17 horas, conectate para ver la transmisión en vivo desde la Sala Principal de Giselle, el título que inaugura la temporada de abono del Ballet Estable del Teatro Colón, dirigido por Mario Galizzi. Con música de Adolphe Adam, coreografía de Gustavo Mollajoli, la Orquesta Filarmónica de Buenos Aires dirigida por el maestro español Manuel Coves y la participación de Natalia Osipova (Royal Ballet de Londres) y Daniel Camargo (Brasil) en los roles principales.

VER TRANSMISIÓN
VER POR FACEBOOK
VER POR INSTAGRAM
VER POR YOUTUBE
VER POR TWITCH

When you receive that email, you can click on any of those and that will open a new window where the streaming will be available. So far, I've only used youtube, in which there's a second window where a chat takes place (I don't enjoy that, but maybe some people do).

23 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

I also remember that when the theater began streaming on its own site a few years before that, they were crashing constantly.

Unfortunately, that's very true. From my latest experience, it seems to have improved 🤞

In case anyone is interested, I can forward that email, where you will find those links. Of course, they are in Spanish, but I guess that won't be a problem ("ver" means "watch"). Anyone can share his/her email address here or via private message and I will gladly forward the email.

2 hours ago, eduardo said:

In case anyone is interested, I can forward that email, where you will find those links. Of course, they are in Spanish, but I guess that won't be a problem ("ver" means "watch"). Anyone can share his/her email address here or via private message and I will gladly forward the email.

Thank you Eduardo! As nanuska said the links work, and I really appreciate the information!

7 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

Unfortunately, the YouTube address no longer leads anywhere. I imagine it's the same on other platforms.

Osipova's Act I Variation in Giselle from yesterday just turned up on YouTube. I can't find more, but if others do, please post the link.

Thanks, California & meunier fan for the links to excerpts of yesterday's Giselle.

A friend who watched it found Osipova not as great as usual in Act I and absolutely fabulous in Act 2.  He was very impressed by Camargo; also said the corps was just bad.  I'm curious to see if anyone here has further comments.

ABT shows 4/25 as the date single tickets go on sale and I received an email a couple of weeks ago saying that "affiliate members" at $480 per year get early access tickets on 4/18.

There was no mention of the usual subscriber exchange week in my subscription ticket packet so I emailed ABT asking when the subscriber priority exchange period was. They really didn't answer my question directly but after going back & forth they said that subscribers could buy tickets starting on the 18th.

So I went today and had no problem exchanging my tickets. There was no line at all and I was in and out in 15 minutes. Got the seats I wanted for all of the performances I wanted. I bought three Don Qs - Brandt/Cornejo, Boylston /Simkin and Hurlin/Bell. Two for Love & Rage - the Hurlin & Shevchenko casts. Two Swan Lakes - Brandt/Cornejo and Murphy/Forster. I kept my ticket for the mixed rep program since casting isn't out for that yet and I'm done for now. I may wind up picking up a ticket for one of Camargo's shows and/or one R&J but based on my experience today I'm sure there will be plenty of tickets available so plenty of time to make that decision.
3 hours ago, Marta said:

A friend who watched it found Osipova not as great as usual in Act I and absolutely fabulous in Act 2.  He was very impressed by Camargo; also said the corps was just bad.  I'm curious to see if anyone here has further comments.

I have to preface by saying that I am not generally an admirer of Osipova. I find her eccentric without being revelatory and extremely self-indulgent. I thought she struggled mightily with the adagio aspects of the second act, basically speeding through the difficult bits. For example, the backbend after the supported développé devant was so small and so quick that she would have been better off not doing it at all. The jumps were there, but there wasn't smoothness and control.

Camargo was closer to Realism than Romanticism, for example the way his torso bent side to side with each step during his second-act entrance would have been better suited to Romeo than Albrecht. Perhaps he was acting with his face, and at times it was hard to tell on a TV screen, but I didn't think his expression extended to his body. His variation was confident.

Ayelén Sánchez as Myrtha had remarkable bourrées, but Zulma and Moyna danced extremely cautiously. 

Edited by volcanohunter

Thanks, volcanohunter.  I  AM an admirer of Osipova but I agree with what you say about her struggling with adagio aspects.  I thought this back in 2012 or 2013 when I first saw her Giselle at the Met.  Since then I think she has worked on the Act 2 pas de deux.  She's not my favorite Giselle but she has much to offer in many roles.  

This excerpt just appeared on YouTube.

I would definitely go see Cornejo and Brandt in T&V.  I'm guessing the other lead couple will be Teucher and Stearns, because they performed it during the last T&V run. (Teucher was excellent.)  (the other lead couple was Lane and Gorak.  Is Gorak still with the company?)

6 hours ago, abatt said:

I would definitely go see Cornejo and Brandt in T&V.  I'm guessing the other lead couple will be Teucher and Stearns, because they performed it during the last T&V run. (Teucher was excellent.)  (the other lead couple was Lane and Gorak.  Is Gorak still with the company?)

He is. I think Ahn and Boylston also did T&V Fall 2019.

7 hours ago, DPell said:

He is. I think Ahn and Boylston also did T&V Fall 2019.

Re: Gorak. I'm surprised he hasn't left as he's hardly cast in anything anymore (understandably, for many reasons),

Shevchenko also did T&V last time around - I'd be very surprised and disappointed if she wasn't cast. Not surprised about Brandt, but really didn't think Cornejo had T&V in his legs anymore. Was hoping Trenary would get it - I think she'd be amazing and as we know she's hardly cast in anything for some reason.