This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Finlay Resigns, Catazaro and Ramasar Suspended -- Update: Catazaro and Ramasar Fired

1 hour ago, Helene said:

Since she's assuming the allegations in the complaint are true, and these include rape, assault, domestic violence under the influence, and planning to double-team and rape a colleague, I'd say that puts her statement right in check with recent headlines, at least headlines in first world stories.

It may be that we are reading different news accounts. No, I haven’t seen anything here that’s on a level with the worst of #MeToo.

1 hour ago, Helene said:

However, even a close working relationship with an abusive personality isn't a guarantee that the person will manage in the same way, and, in fact, it can make them determined to avoid it.

Great point Helene. 

My style of management/leadership is largely based on what I did not like about the myriad of bosses I had worked and (still work for) in a variety of jobs. I was certain of what I would not bring to this job. 

1 hour ago, Quiggin said:

The Finlay affair became a big story in the press because it has elements in common with the Peter Martins domestic violence incident of which Toni Bentley says,

This most recent incident too had a particularly pointed symbolism in that one of the dancers – a danceur noble like Martins – has referred to a female dancer associated with the company worse than an animal: a slut. That's turning the ethos of NYCB – whatever you might think of it – upside down. It's not PR, it's the company narrative. And the reversal makes it a natural story for journalists and maybe even for novelists.

Other than Sergui Celibidache refusing to seat a woman trombonist at the Munich Philharmonic in the 90s, there hasn't been an equivalent in the classical music world to Martins firing Farrell and refusing the talents of Villella, Verdy, Clifford and many other "prime movers" of Balanchine technique. As a result it was said in the press for a while that you had to go to Miami to see Balanchine done with proper character and verve. (That might be different now and Miami's example perhaps helped.)

This story is big news because it's about sex,  money,  and rich white people.  A plus is that those people are so goodlooking,  when the screen version of this story is made,  they'll have a hard time finding actors as attractive as the real people.  Was Chase Finlay even born when Martins got into his domestic violence incident?  Waterbury wasn't.  Connecting the two incidents is a bit of a stretch,  in my opinion.  In other news,  McDonald's  workers are participating in a one day strike against "rampant" sexual harassment.  It's everywhere.

There was a supplemental summons, dated today, in which SAB, Ramasar, Catazaro, and Jared Longhitano have been added as defendants to Waterbury's lawsuit.  It's marked "Processed."

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/ViewDocument?docIndex=IhSWRI7TsPzZqPu7pRvtvQ==

In addition, there is an amended complaint, also dated today, which is marked "Pending" (as I write).

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/ViewDocument?docIndex=Lis4cO2R91MS028v6xQ2zA==

Longhitano is identified as the donor.

I haven't read the entire document, but, skimming it, there are more quotes from the communications, including those attributed to Catazaro.

17 minutes ago, Helene said:

There was a supplemental summons, dated today, in which SAB, Ramasar, Catazaro, and Jared Longhitano have been added as defendants to Waterbury's lawsuit.  It's marked "Processed."

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/ViewDocument?docIndex=IhSWRI7TsPzZqPu7pRvtvQ==

In addition, there is an amended complaint, also dated today, which is marked "Pending" (as I write).

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/ViewDocument?docIndex=Lis4cO2R91MS028v6xQ2zA==

I haven't read the entire document, but, skimming it, there are more quotes from the communications, including those attributed to Catazaro.

Wow. I don't have the original complaint to compare, but I feel like some of the previously unattributed quotes are now attributed to Catazaro. There also seem to be some completely new quotes attributed to him, if my memory serves.

Also, SAB has been added as a defendant. They weren't on it before, were they?

Edited by fondoffouettes

I'm sorry I wasn't clear:  I meant that quotes are now attributed to Catazaro, where, before, he was characterized as having shared photos with Ramasar, without any identifying quotes.

The original complaint is available on the site from this page:

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=rPLVUnskYCM89NLHno7z4g==&display=all&courtType=New York County Supreme Court&resultsPageNum=1

3 minutes ago, AB'sMom said:

That amended complaint made me feel sick to my stomach. I had to take a break. It is very specific. 

Very disturbing.  Citing specific ranks and relationships... I feel very bad for the women involved in this mess that might just be finding out now.  *Alleged* mess.

Edited by Balletwannabe
3 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

One of the most interesting new items (I think it's new) is that the complaint claims there were no established rules or code of conduct for how NYCB dancers should be interacting with SAB students. That seems like a big mistake on NYCB/SAB's part, if that's true.

Yes, I was wondering if "former SAB students" implies that they were SAB students at the time their photos were distributed via email (e.g. paragraph 83).

Jared Longhitano’s Linkedin page shows that he’s involved with several arts organizations in NYC. Besides being a Junoir board member at NYCB, he is a member of Young Associates Steering Committee at the Met Opera, part of the Junior Council at ABT and the scariest of all, he is the Head of Young Patrons Group at YAGP.

5 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

Jared Longhitano’s Linkedin page shows that he’s involved with several arts organizations in NYC. Besides being a Junoir board member at NYCB, he is a member of Young Associates Steering Committee at the Met Opera, part of the Junior Council at ABT and the scariest of all, he is the Head of Young Patrons Group at YAGP.

The YAGP connection is seriously scary.

1 hour ago, Helene said:

I haven't read this yet, but why was this amended now? Is this typical of complaints? Shouldn't all of the details been outlined in the original complaint? 

10 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

It's because Catazaro, Ramasar and SAB have been added as defendants. I'm not sure why now, and if this is common.

Right, but as you mention as well, why weren't they added along with the donor and the other details in the first place? I realize no one here may know the answer, but that's strange to me. Not being an attorney, though, maybe this is common procedure...

Edited by ABT Fan
1 minute ago, ABT Fan said:

OK, I've read part of the amended version (honestly, I skimmed a lot of the legal jargon).

Students, too?

I'm sick to my stomach. 

Happy Gala night.

Luckily (for NYCB's sake), it's just opening night, not gala night, which is September 27. Though I'm sure this cloud will still be hanging over the company in a week. The optics of rich people partying when all this is going on ... not sure what to make of that. Obviously, I want to see NYCB thrive, but also be held accountable, so I don't want those donations from gala folk to go away.