This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Finlay Resigns, Catazaro and Ramasar Suspended -- Update: Catazaro and Ramasar Fired

I think it must be something more than just dating that led to this. Interesting that two of the three decided to take the suspension, but Finlay quit.  Based on his instagram postings, Finlay is dating someone who is not a dancer at NYCB.

Does this mean we'll be seeing a lot more of Veyette?  Gulp.

Also shocked. I read the Times article twice and it seems that texts and emails were sent by these dancers to the complainant. These pieces must be very damaging for Finlay to resign immediately (shades of Marcelo Gomes?) and the other two to be suspended. The article says nothing about accusations of sexual or physical abuse, only accusations of inappropriate written remarks—verbal abuse? I don’t know what to make of it, but it will be devastating to the company. I was so looking forward to my performances of Jewels and the De Luz farewell. What kind of performances will these be for the dancers and the audience? 

I'm stunned, like everybody else. What's so baffling: after the publicity about Weiner, Cosby, and on and on for years now, wouldn't you think maybe people would be super-careful?

Gomes has gradually found his way to a lot of work free-lancing and now with Sarasota Ballet. But he's also quite a star otherwise. I wonder if these three will be so lucky. And given the nature of the allegations, they can probably forget about jobs teaching or directing a company. 

Good lord. Others on the ABT board were speculating that Catazaro might leave NYCB for ABT given the shortage of male principals over there. Maybe Finlay will try that now. I can’t imagine staying at a job where I was suspended. Talk about a blow to the morale. 

Edited by Fleurfairy

Sports figures get suspensions all the time.  It's not the end of the careers of Catazaro and Ramasar, although how they would ever be able to work alongside the person who reported them is hard to imagine.   Finlay's resignation, however, seems like a death blow to his career. 

What in the world??

According to the Times, Finlay refused to discuss the matter with NYCB management (?!) and instead just resigned last week. He's already been removed from their website.

And, I don't understand why the other two would be suspended without pay till next year. If what they did was so bad, why weren't they fired? I'm not advocating for them to be fired, I'm just wondering what's the point of the suspension. I have a feeling they'll both resign (or "retire") and not return.

This is devastating in so many ways.

Added: there's no way any of these three will by hired by ABT. 

Edited by ABT Fan
2 minutes ago, abatt said:

It's not the end of the careers of Catazaro and Ramasar, although how they would ever be able to work alongside the person who reported them is hard to imagine. 

The Times says that the accusation came from someone outside of NYCB.

7 minutes ago, California said:

I'm stunned, like everybody else. What's so baffling: after the publicity about Weiner, Cosby, and on and on for years now, wouldn't you think maybe people would be super-careful?

You'd be surprised how many people still do this.

The NYT says that Finlay, Catazaro, and Ramasar sent "inappropriate communications" which suggests a different level of behavior than Weiner and Cosby, who are convicted sex offenders.

On the bright side, male soloists and corps dancers should be getting new opportunities in the fall and Nutcracker seasons.

Just now, FPF said:

The NYT says that Finlay, Catazaro, and Ramasar sent "inappropriate communications" which suggests a different level of behavior than Weiner and Cosby, who are convicted sex offenders.

On the bright side, male soloists and corps dancers should be getting new opportunities in the fall and Nutcracker seasons.

When I mentioned Weiner, I was thinking only about the emailing of inappropriate photos. 

50 minutes ago, CTballetfan said:

Also shocked. I read the Times article twice and it seems that texts and emails were sent by these dancers to the complainant. These pieces must be very damaging for Finlay to resign immediately (shades of Marcelo Gomes?) and the other two to be suspended. The article says nothing about accusations of sexual or physical abuse, only accusations of inappropriate written remarks—verbal abuse? I don’t know what to make of it, but it will be devastating to the company. I was so looking forward to my performances of Jewels and the De Luz farewell. What kind of performances will these be for the dancers and the audience? 

I'm confused. My interpretations was letter of complaint about the communications came from someone from outside the company, however the communications may have been sent to someone inside or outside of the company. Correct?

5 minutes ago, vipa said:

I'm confused. My interpretations was letter of complaint about the communications came from someone from outside the company, however the communications may have been sent to someone inside or outside of the company. Correct?

From the NYT: In a statement, Charles W. Scharf, chairman of the City Ballet board, said the company had several weeks ago “received a letter alleging inappropriate communications made via personal text and email by three members of the company.” The letter did not come from someone in the company, and the communications were “personal in nature.” 

1 hour ago, vipa said:

I’m confused on this point too. In my reading the article does not say to whom the complainant reported the communications. Is this right? 

14 minutes ago, CTballetfan said:

I’m confused on this point too. In my reading the article does not say to whom the complainant reported the communications. Is this right? 

The article is clear on that - the complainant wrote a letter to NYCB.

Edited by CharlieH
3 minutes ago, CTballetfan said:

It just says that the company received the complaint, but doesn't specify the recipient.

50 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

The complainant may not have been the person or persons to whom the communications were sent. 

That's the way I read it too. The person(s) to whom the communications were sent might or might not be in the company. The person who sent the complaint is not in the company, and might or might not be  a/the recipient of the communications. Are we to believe that all three men sent some kind of inappropriate communication with the same person?

Edited by vipa
typing errors