This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Finlay Resigns, Catazaro and Ramasar Suspended -- Update: Catazaro and Ramasar Fired

42 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

I haven't read this yet, but why was this amended now? Is this typical of complaints? Shouldn't all of the details been outlined in the original complaint? 

Not at all uncommon for complaints to be amended (including to add additional defendants, etc.).

My understanding is that Federal Rules of Civil Procedure permit the amendment of a complaint as a matter of course within 21 days of service, and NY CPLR permits amendment without leave of court within 20 days after service. (It’s not rare to see filing of an amended complaint beyond this time period, but the process of getting permission to amend gets a little more complex.)

Edited by tutu
clarification of CPLR language

I just noticed the new complaint now gives timeframes, not just dates, for when texts were sent. So as not to be completely unproductive at work, I haven't checked those dates/times against NYCB's performance schedule to see if they line up to what would probably have been normal working hours. But I wonder if that's why her lawyer has now included times for the text messages sent.

Edited by fondoffouettes
2 minutes ago, tutu said:

Not at all uncommon for complaints to be amended (including to add additional defendants, etc.).

My understanding is that Federal Rules of Civil Procedure permit the amendment of a complaint as a matter of course within 21 days of service, and NY CPLR permits amendment without leave within 20 days of service. (It’s not rare to see filing of an amended complaint beyond this time period, but the process of getting permission to amend gets a little more complex.)

Thank you. 

And I amended my other post to say it’s opening night, not gala night.

34 minutes ago, Balletwannabe said:

The YAGP connection is seriously scary.

With the donor named I think this scandal may have a serious ripple effect for many individual's and organizations.  Honestly, no one can claim "I had no idea" because Longitano posted screenshots of his text conversations on his public-facing Instagram. 

3 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

I just noticed the new complaint gives timeframes, not just dates, for when texts were sent. So as not to be completely unproductive at works, I haven't checked those dates/times against NYCB's performance schedule to see if they line up to what would probably be normal working hours. But I wonder if that's why her lawyer has now included times for the text messages sent.

I think that some of the dates do correspond to the NYCB season or when they might be rehearsing prior to opening. But times aren't given, so it seems possible that that the messages were not sent during the workday.

2 minutes ago, FPF said:

I think that some of the dates do correspond to the NYCB season or when they might be rehearsing prior to opening. But times aren't given, so it seems possible that that the messages were not sent during the workday.

If you scan through, a few of the text communications do include times of the day, whereas others just include the date.

1 hour ago, Dreamer said:

Jared Longhitano’s Linkedin page shows that he’s involved with several arts organizations in NYC. Besides being a Junoir board member at NYCB, he is a member of Young Associates Steering Committee at the Met Opera, part of the Junior Council at ABT and the scariest of all, he is the Head of Young Patrons Group at YAGP.

His MyLife page gives his age as 42. How old need one be before ageing out of "Junior" this and "Young" that?

3 minutes ago, zerbinetta said:

His MyLife page gives his age as 42. How old need one be before ageing out of "Junior" this and "Young" that?

Usually around 40. Given the demographic of ballet, and especially opera, audiences, I've seen a lot of young people's groups that extend to age 40, some even older, I believe.

Edited by fondoffouettes
26 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

I just noticed the new complaint now gives timeframes, not just dates, for when texts were sent.

Also, looking more closely at the dates here, it looks like the complaint was filed almost exactly one year from the date of an original photo message. Not sure of the statute of limitations on the charges here, but it makes me think that some of the original complaint’s sloppiness might have resulted from rushing to file within a one-year SOL.

2 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Right, but as you mention as well, why weren't they added along with the donor and the other details in the first place? I realize no one here may know the answer, but that's strange to me. Not being an attorney, though, maybe this is common procedure... 

I'm not sure, either. In Catazaro's case, I couldn't find what his messages with Finlay and Loughitano have to do with Waterbury. They were definitely gross, but it doesn't seem like he received photos of her. If anyone has standing to sue him, it's the girl whose picture he sent to Finlay.

17 minutes ago, yukionna4869 said:

I'm not sure, either. In Catazaro's case, I couldn't find what his messages with Finlay and Loughitano have to do with Waterbury. They were definitely gross, but it doesn't seem like he received photos of her. If anyone has standing to sue him, it's the girl whose picture he sent to Finlay.

I think they are using them to bolster their argument that this was a culture at NYCB

That donor seriously disturbs me. I remember someone making a comment that seemed off to me on an ABT Corp member’s Instagram once, so I clicked on the name to see the profile of the commenter. It was him. I just went back to her Instagram to see if I could find him so I could clarify why it disturbed me. I couldn’t find the post but did find something else odd. She went on a non-work European trip and in the comments thanked him and her sister for making it possible. She was 20. 

I just read the entire Amended Claims and it’s very disheartening.  Someone please tell Mariska Hargitay... I have a feeling this is going to be featured in this upcoming season’s Law & Order SVU episode.

Back to the discussion, it is disturbing to know that some of these vultures considered the company/school as “hunting ground” as referred to on the claim.  Not to genralized but I also wonder what was the appeal to these straight single young not-so-attractive men like Jared to enjoy a ballet performance.  His action disgust me.

In perspective, these ballerinas live ina bubble.  They grow up in the same school and went on to the company.  They do not have the same experience as us mere mortals of socializing in school and college.  I feel that us independent women found our self worth and confidence to stand up against the world even more through out our “18-22” age while in college faced in making good an bad decisions.   This same age group is what these vultures are hunting for.   I admire these ballerina greatly, but at that age we all went through a stage of learning about ourselves.   This Jared guy probably failed to prey on these ladies, hence utilizing these handsome men and teaching them his perverse way.  I’m beyond appalled at this point.

2 minutes ago, Ilovegiselle said:

This Jared guy probably failed to prey on these ladies, hence utilizing these handsome men and teaching them his perverse way.  I’m beyond appalled at this point. 

Finlay, Catazaro & Ramasar are all old enough to know better.

Edited by yukionna4869

This may have been covered, but it seems Ramasar received pictures which he didn't protest and didn't circulate. Then he engaged in heavy duty, distasteful jock talk. Do I have that right?

I still don't see how NYCB can be liable for Miss Waterbury's dating life. 

3 minutes ago, vipa said:

This may have been covered, but it seems Ramasar received pictures which he didn't protest and didn't circulate. Then he engaged in heavy duty, distasteful jock talk. Do I have that right?

You are correct.  The Jock talk is not illegal.  The sharing of photos/videos is morally wrong.

3 minutes ago, vipa said:

If you mean what's in the complaint, he solicited and sent photos as well.  #91/#93 which claims he sent two photos of a NYCB corps member to Finlay.  #93 is from the original complaint, where which claims he actively solicits images of Waterbury, which Finlay sends him.  

If these are on public-facing social media, you must include the source.  If they are not, I will delete the posts.

Edited to add:  I understand wanting to protect dancers on whose accounts he's posted.  There are reasons why people leave unwanted posts and comments on social media when there's a power imbalance, just as they don't unfriend people, so I don't assume that leaving the comments on a feed is an endorsement. 

So I'd be happy to delete, if that's the choice, as I have already.

7 hours ago, Dreamer said:

Jared Longhitano’s Linkedin page shows that he’s involved with several arts organizations in NYC. Besides being a Junoir board member at NYCB, he is a member of Young Associates Steering Committee at the Met Opera, part of the Junior Council at ABT and the scariest of all, he is the Head of Young Patrons Group at YAGP.

Longhitano's association with YAGP is most disturbing. His Linkedin profile says he is the founder and head of the Young Patrons Group at YAGP. In previous posts, I have lauded NYCB's efforts in expanding its audience to the younger generation through initiatives such as the Young Patrons, and this does not change my stance on that -- the arts need to continue to build on these efforts. However, why does an organization such as YAGP even need a junior committee?

The amended complaint (as others have said, not for the faint of heart) also alleges that Finlay, Longhitano, Catazaro and Ramasar referenced in conversation or traded explicit pictures of dancers in ABT. For those who feel that NYCB has done an inadequate job of protecting its dancers, do you also feel the same could now be said about ABT?

As more details of this situation come to light, I am more convinced that this is a case that could not be prevented by rules set forth by an institution. Luckily in this case, Waterbury has come forward to let the world know about their misdeeds so that the problem can be rooted out. Although I disagree with her about exactly where that problem lies, I applaud her for that.