Condolences to all here who knew him. May he rest in peace.

May he rest in peace.  I always appreciated his posts and expertise.

Posted (edited)

I’m so saddened but am sure that he is a new angel in Ballet Heaven. Mel and another ballet angel, Gleb, were my indispensable BalletAlert experts on All-Things-Joffrey...and beyond. Rest In Peace. 👼 

Edited by CharlieH

Damn -- he'd been a part of online dance life for years and years, going way back here on BA and elsewhere.  I'm grateful to have known him, in that curious way we know others online.  Another dance enthusiast, waving from his corner and sharing our obsession for the art form.

So sorry to hear that. His voice will be missed. condolences to all family and friends.

May he rest in peace--along with Carbro.  I miss them both.

Ir am so saddened to read about his passing. Mel was one of the first enthusiastic souls from this site that I truly enjoyed debating and sharing opinions with. He had so much knowledge about mid century American ballet and always had a first hand experience under his sleeve to ilustrate his topics. As Atm711 rightfully said, he will certainly be missed along with Carbro. RIP Mr. Johnson.

I thought of Carbro and Glebb, and before BA, ther was a,a.b. and the ever charming Tom Parsons.  Sad to lose any of those gems.

So sad to hear this news. Every so often I would wonder why he was no longer posting. RIP Mr. Johnson. 

Of course I remember Mel - I do miss him so much. It is so sad to hear these kinds of news -I think it is inevitable - I have now reached an age  when  it is  almost normal to learn of a friend passing. Well, that is what you can call life - but still one feels the pain. RIP my dear Mel.

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2018 at 5:26 AM, Amy Reusch said:

I see nothing here, but it seems our treasure from a while back, Mel Johnson, has passed on.  I do not know if an obituary has been pulblished yet, my last search turned up nothing, but his facebook page carried the sad tidings.  https://www.facebook.com/mel.johnson.946?fref=ts

I have not found anything resembling an obituary there - or anywhere, actually. Perhaps it was removed? Or is now somewhere else?  (or maybe only visible to his Facebook friends)

Just curious; it wont change anything, obviously. Sometimes people do not want an obit written, and make that clear to those around them. Perhaps that is the case here? 

At any rate, he was quite a "force of nature" here; and SO very knowledgeable in so many fields! 

-d-

Edited to add that I found this short obit: http://www.tributes.com/obituary/show/Melvin-B.-Johnson-106072960 

Edited by diane

Is it not more common not to have one and isn't it prohibited in certain religions 

I don't know about religious proscriptions, but in general, obits seem to be posted for people who have family or other close relations nearby. 

69 seems far too young to go. For an enjoyable trip down memory lane, I recommend Mel’s choice grievances about Nutcrackers:  

Oh, thanks for this -- what a treat to read!  (saving for next December...!)

Also very sorry to hear about Mel's passing away. He was a constant and highly informative presence during my first years at Ballet Talk.

Thanks for that. 

-d-

So sorry to hear this. He was a big part of our BA community.