This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wish List/Predictions for the 2016 Season

I sincerely doubt it. I'm sure it comes down to money and a lack thereof.

I believe the rights and royalty negotiations are mammoth in such undertakings given so, so many creative participants ... which is why there has been such a wide gap in ABT releases ... and indeed why there was such a paucity with ABT video releases even during their own glory days at the end of the so-called dance boom. Had it not been for the PBS' supported 'Dance in America' series I think there would have been even less than that smattering we have to cherish now. I briefly worked for the woman responsible for contracts at ABT during the preparation for the 'American Ballet Theatre at the Met' video and I well recall how close it came to that not being done at all. Time I believe has made the negotiations even more cumbersome and the bottom of that particular commercial market has now well and truly evaporated.

I believe the rights and royalty negotiations are mammoth in such undertakings given so, so many creative participants ... which is why there has been such a wide gap in ABT releases ... and indeed why there was such a paucity with ABT video releases even during their own glory days at the end of the so-called dance boom. Had it not been for the PBS' supported 'Dance in America' series I think there would have been even less than that smattering we have to cherish now. I briefly worked for the woman responsible for contracts at ABT during the preparation for the 'American Ballet Theatre at the Met' video and I well recall how close it came to that not being done at all. Time I believe has made the negotiations even more cumbersome and the bottom of that particular commercial market has now well and truly evaporated.

It's really sad that there's no recognition on all of those creative participants' parts that getting the product out in front of a wider public can pay back in spades when it comes to increased visibility, popularity, ticket sales, and a higher profile for the art in our culture. Ballet (like opera, classical music, etc.) can't survive if it's kept behind closed doors, and this is increasingly the case in our contemporary technology-focused culture. There may well be no ABT to pay these people's checks before long.

I'd love more interesting rep nights. As others have said Tudor's Romeo & Juliet (I know dream on). I'd love Push Comes to Shove. Maybe Ailey's River, Billy the Kid with the right lead. I agree with the idea of throwing a flashy pas in here and there. It would give some of the younger principals and maybe even soloists practice in black swan or Don Q pas without the pressure of carrying the whole ballet. Especially since they don't have a lot of chances to perform them. If you only do 2 or 3 Swan Lakes a year it would be nice to at least have the chance to get more comfortable performing Black Swan pas.

No more Theme and Variations, they do it better across the plaza.

I'd love more interesting rep nights. As others have said Tudor's Romeo & Juliet (I know dream on). I'd love Push Comes to Shove. Maybe Ailey's River, Billy the Kid with the right lead. I agree with the idea of throwing a flashy pas in here and there. It would give some of the younger principals and maybe even soloists practice in black swan or Don Q pas without the pressure of carrying the whole ballet. Especially since they don't have a lot of chances to perform them. If you only do 2 or 3 Swan Lakes a year it would be nice to at least have the chance to get more comfortable performing Black Swan pas.

No more Theme and Variations, they do it better across the plaza.

YES! the addition of PDD in the Mixed program would probably improve the attendance to these programs. We can also see PDD that are rarely seen here( Esmeralda,Talisman, Diana and Acteon etc)

YES! the addition of PDD in the Mixed program would probably improve the attendance to these programs. We can also see PDD that are rarely seen here( Esmeralda,Talisman, Diana and Acteon etc)

Mixed bills with four short ballets (one of them typically a famous PdD by resident stars) was the norm at ABT in the 70s and 80s. I don't know when that practice ended. But a big name in one of those PdD was enough to sell tickets. I'm guessing they couldn't program enough big names in later years to make that work.

I can't have enough Ashton, and ABT has a pretty good track record performing them. So I wish the revivals of Awakening PdD, Thaïs PdD, Symphonic Variations, Les Patineurs

and the acquisitions of Rhapsody, Enigma Variations, and Monotones. And it's never too early to ask for the return of A Month in a Country. Yes to Raymonda, Paquita (or the Grand Pas at the very least). Have anyone seen Ratmansky's Bolero? It's on my wish list and got a rave review from the NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/31/arts/dance/31morphoses.html?_r=0

The restorations of Act IV of Swan lake. Restaging of Bayadere with the divertissements from the betrothal scene restored and increase the number of shades to 32. A new production of Coppelia a la Bolshoi's.

I predict the casting of Cassandra Trenary as Aurora in Detroit or DC, if it happens and the out-of-town try out goes well, hope to see her Aurora at the Met.

This is a forlorn hope but I vote for the Antony Tudor Romeo&Juliet. It may already be too late. It has been 38 years since it was last performed and some of the cast members from the 70s (Fernando Bujones, Ivan Nagy) who could have helped with a reconstruction are now lost to us. But Carla Fracci, Natalia Makharova and John Prinz are still with us so I still hold out hope (however diminishing).

Wait, wasn't Tudor's "R&J" done at City Center several years back? I seem to recall it so. I think they also danced "Leaves Are Fading" at that time, which is also due for a revival. It offers many dance opportunities for the company. I would also vote for "La Fille", "Sylvia" and "Birthday Offering". All of these ballets offer lots of dance opportunities. And what about "Grand Pas Classique"? I'm pretty sure Van Hamel danced that one and should know it still. "Upper Room" always gets my vote, as does "Bach Partita", but then I'd also love to see a revival of Tharp's "How Near Heaven". Also, her "Known By Heart" truly deserves another showing. The 'junkman duet' from that ballet is a classic, but then so is the two man duet that originally starred Griff Braun and Keith Roberts. Easily one of the most astonishing duets ever made. Roberts is on tap at ABT, Julie and Susan Jaffe probably have it in their muscles still, as does Angel and Steifel. I think this is a ballet made for some of today's dancers at ABT. I could go on.............

When Ratmansky created his Tempest (and to a lesser degree, his Firebird), I wondered if McKenzie had asked him for a half-evening narrative work based on a well-known theme in an attempt to reap the benefits of both a name-brand three-act ballet and a mixed bill.

I'll be curious if Ratmansky goes for that format again, given that he has so many ballets on his slate for the upcoming year and has done some many reworkings of classics recently.

To be honest, I am more concerned with who will be dancing the main parts rather than the ballets performed. After all, the warhorses like Giselle, SL, SB, R&J, La bayadere, Cinderella will be generously represented anyway, so I just hope that we get to see some foreign ballerinas who are not necessarily Ardani clients.

For instance, a Raymonda with Lopatkina would be a major season event.

Just sayin':)

[quote name="Waelsung" post="357147" timestamp="1434437863"

For instance, a Raymonda with Lopatkina would be a major season event.

Unfotunately, I don't think Lopatkina ever guests (at least I've never heard of her guesting). But one can dream, I suppose.

My prime wish is that we get a new AD NOW. The sooner, the better. Then all the ballets and, hopefully promotions, will work themselves out.

I predict Misty Copeland's Aurora debut in DC...perfect city for this. Lots of publicity of "first black woman to perform Aurora in full ballet...yadda, yadda..." I predict a very quick sell-out and huge mark-up in prices for tickets.

The 2015 season will be over in 3 weeks. Maybe, it's time to think of next year's wishes/predictions. After the success of A Ratmansky's SB, i wish for his Munich production of Paquita. Also Ashton's La Fille, Rhapsody and/or Two Pigeons.

Just like Bingham, Ashton's La Fille Mal Gardé, as we have been wishing for a decade now.

Something by David Dawson... The trailer for his new piece at Dutch National looks so promising. But this is ABT so really, I guess we're talking full lengths.... .... .... ... Paquita is my vote.

Amy - I was going to say something along these lines. I would love to see ABT take on something more contemporary than Tharp. Dawson or McGregor. I mean, even Royal Ballet does some of that. Paquita would be nice, as would Coppelia and La Fille.

mimsyb -- ABT performed a pas from Tudor's Romeo&Juliet back in 2008 for his centennial celebration. If memory serves, David Hallberg and Gillian Murphy danced it. But they've never, ever attempted a full reconstruction even though McKenzie spoke in the 90s of restoring it as part of a mixed bill that would also include Ashton's The Dream and Limon's The Moor's Pavane. How about that for a mixed bill???

mimsyb -- ABT performed a pas from Tudor's Romeo&Juliet back in 2008 for his centennial celebration. If memory serves, David Hallberg and Gillian Murphy danced it. But they've never, ever attempted a full reconstruction even though McKenzie spoke in the 90s of restoring it as part of a mixed bill that would also include Ashton's The Dream and Limon's The Moor's Pavane. How about that for a mixed bill???

Thanks for the Tudor "R&J" info. Yes, it was just the pas performed back then. And as I recall, Ziomara also danced it. And I like your Triple Bill also. That would be some evening! In going over past memories I've come up with one other I'd love to see again. And that's a ballet Robert Hill did for them in 2001 called "Marimba". It had such great energy and life and the live music was sensational!! Oh, and I'd like to see ABT dance something from Richard Alston. Vastly under appreciated in this country. (NY Theater Ballet does a few of his things and he was at the Joyce several years back. But his is a unique voice in dance)

Wish List: In addition to Paquita, bring back On the Dnieper, Citizen (for the fall season, even though I think I'm the only person who liked this ballet), La Fille Mal Gardee, Nine Sinatra Songs. Please retire Fancy Free for awhile. Promote Abrera to principal and cast her as Giselle at the Met again (I know she'll never be promoted, but this is a wish list); promote Forster, Royall III, Scott, Brandt to soloist.

Predictions: The new SB will return. Copeland and Hammoudi will be promoted to principal at the end of this year's Met season. Gorak will be promoted to principal at the end of the 2016 season. One or two female ready-made-principals will be hired. More talented/senior corps dancers will leave.

I would welcome new production of "La Bayadere" (do not find Makarova's one satisfying). Robbins' "Other Dancers" would be great too.

Promotion to principal to Abrera, and to soloist C. Royal and A. Scott.

A Scott deserved a promotion a long time ago. He is like a male Abrera-Lane, totally neglected. I have never seen him do a bad performance in any of his solo roles.

Amy - I was going to say something along these lines. I would love to see ABT take on something more contemporary than Tharp. Dawson or McGregor. I mean, even Royal Ballet does some of that. Paquita would be nice, as would Coppelia and La Fille.

Who in the US currently dances McGregor? Chroma is in the Ailey rep, and it looks like San Francisco Ballet danced it in 2012. (It seems to be his calling card.) Anything else that people know of?

I'd love to see Sylvia back with Boylston in the lead. And Ratmansky's Sleeping Beauty with Osipova as Aurora.

I agree with those who suggest the mixed bills, including a Classical pas de deux here and there. (I remember Vishneva and Corella dancing the Tchaikovsky Pas during a matinee a few years back. WOW.) Perhaps they'll do this during the Fall Season.

I hope to see more new Ratmanksy. He seems to revel in dusting off old librettos. Perhaps Fokine's Carnaval?

Promotions are due for Hammoudi, (who really took on a principal load this Spring) and Stella Abrera.

Wish List: In addition to Paquita, bring back On the Dnieper, Citizen (for the fall season, even though I think I'm the only person who liked this ballet), La Fille Mal Gardee, Nine Sinatra Songs. Please retire Fancy Free for awhile. Promote Abrera to principal and cast her as Giselle at the Met again (I know she'll never be promoted, but this is a wish list); promote Forster, Royall III, Scott, Brandt to soloist.

ABT Fan, just read this. I thought I was the only one who liked "On the Dnieper"! I'd love to see that again, with better lighting, on the City Center stage. It almost reminds me of a Tudor work. Maybe it would pair well with one.

I was not a fan of "Citizen" but I did like "Rabbit and Rogue," a ballet I'll probably never seen again because it was panned by the critics.

Boston does McGregor (Chroma) and PA Ballet is doing it this fall. He just created a new piece for Royal (they also do Infra), and I believe that Het is doing one of his pieces in their Cool Britannia rep. Also, San Fran did Borderlands in 2013.

Alvin Ailey has done Chroma and NYCB commissioned a McGregor work a few years ago as well.

Just like Bingham, Ashton's La Fille Mal Gardé, as we have been wishing for a decade now.

Given that ABT's principal women have trended dramatic, commanding, and tall over the past decade, I can understand why Fille hasn't re-entered the rep recently: Reyes and Murphy would have been the only ones sparkly enough for Lise, I think.

But now that ABT has unexpectedly hatched a full cohort of women who are appropriate for soubrette roles (Boylston, Trenary, Brandt, Copeland), I could totally see it: probably not this year, but in 2017-2018 when the younger dancers have become a bit more visible (and his shorter men have logged some more partnering time).

Totally agree that Arron Scott should be used more.