This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2015: Romeo and Juliet

A further comment on the mismanagement issues at ABT. ABT has large sums being paid out for principal contracts to people who show up for only a few shows a season, like Vishneva and Bolle. They are not principals. They are guest artists and they should not have principal contracts. Give the principal contracts to people who actually devote their careers to ABT, not to people who show up for 4 shows so that they can spend springtime in New York City on ABT's dime. I get that Kent has given her life to the Company, so that fact that she can't really do much anymore isn't a sore spot.

Is there any evidence that their compensation is on the same level with the true year-round principals? I always assumed that dancers like Vishneva or Bolle were essentially treated as guest stars in terms of their contracts and pay, even though ABT calls them "principals."

Just got home after leaving tonight's performance after the first act. Seo's dancing was fine, sometimes lovely, but there wasn't much of an emotional connection between her and Gomes. The balcony scene was well-executed, but it didn't haven't the passionate, go-for-broke quality that characterizes the very greatest balcony scenes. Seo was good at exuding girlish innocence (and is not guilty of the overacting some have described in Copeland's performance), but it was all just a little too prim for my taste. It's hard sitting through endless courtly dances and crowd scenes without the hope of truly transcendent dancing in the big moments. Also, I miss seeing a Juliet with a more pliable back and arabesques that really "bloom," if that makes any sense. Some of her pirouettes in the ball scene seemed a bit tentative, too.

Gomes' partnering and solo dancing was very, very strong, but I never felt as if he was really dancing for Juliet. His boyish eagerness seemed pretty subdued in comparison to when he dances this role with Vishneva. He's still head and shoulders above nearly all other Romeos, but it felt more restrained than what we're used to seeing from him.

Gillian/Whiteside would seem to have been the right answer, but perhaps they weren't available or said "no".

I know it's not quite the same, but if a male principal pulled out sick on the day of a performance, would they yank the female principal from the part as well and bring in a whole new couple? Would that be considered acceptable? I doubt it. This is Gomes we're talking about -- a major ABT dancer and a big draw for many fans. And this isn't Sleeping Beauty, where the male principal hardly dances -- this is Romeo, who has far more stage time than Juliet. I'm almost certain that Gillian and Whiteside were not asked and did not say "no." Gomes was ready to dance, he had a partner ready with whom he'd rehearsed, and who was undoubtedly the cover scheduled for this evening. So they danced.

That said, I left after the balcony scene, which was perfectly fine, but just didn't have what I was looking for from Vishneva and Gomes together. When one doesn't have the two of them to look forward to in the big highlight scenes, the other long, dull stretches (Victor Barbee and Pascal Knopp going at it with big swords in a ridiculous, overwrought manner?), Romeo and Juliet becomes quite a drag.

I know it's not quite the same, but if a male principal pulled out sick on the day of a performance, would they yank the female principal from the part as well and bring in a whole new couple? Would that be considered acceptable? I doubt it. This is Gomes we're talking about -- a major ABT dancer and a big draw for many fans. And this isn't Sleeping Beauty, where the male principal hardly dances -- this is Romeo, who has far more stage time than Juliet. I'm almost certain that Gillian and Whiteside were not asked and did not say "no." Gomes was ready to dance, he had a partner ready with whom he'd rehearsed, and who was undoubtedly the cover scheduled for this evening. So they danced.

That said, I left after the balcony scene, which was perfectly fine, but just didn't have what I was looking for from Vishneva and Gomes together. When one doesn't have the two of them to look forward to in the big highlight scenes, the other long, dull stretches (Victor Barbee and Pascal Knopp going at it with big swords in a ridiculous, overwrought manner?), Romeo and Juliet becomes quite a drag.

Yes, I do understand all of what you said. This can't be easy for ANYONE involved. I too left after the balcony scene. I didn't see much point in staying. It was all perfectly fine, if a little by the numbers. I guess I had been so spoiled by Obraztsova/Cornejo, et al last night and was looking forward to Vishneva with Gomes. Theirs is a partnership of true equality and passion. I simply didn't feel much was going on tonight and much of the rest of the cast also seemed to be totally under water. It all felt flattened and airless. Not much one can do. On to tomorrow! And to answer ORD7916, yes, I am very much a subscriber and was still turned down for an exchange.

Yes, I do understand all of what you said. This can't be easy for ANYONE involved. I too left after the balcony scene. I didn't see much point in staying. It was all perfectly fine, if a little by the numbers. I guess I had been so spoiled by Obraztsova/Cornejo, et al last night and was looking forward to Vishneva with Gomes. Theirs is a partnership of true equality and passion. I simply didn't feel much was going on tonight and much of the rest of the cast also seemed to be totally under water. It all felt flattened and airless. Not much one can do. On to tomorrow! And to answer ORD7916, yes, I am very much a subscriber and was still turned down for an exchange.

I do feel for you -- 3 Hee Seo performances, when not a single one was originally scheduled to be her. This whole week has been an ABT disaster.

A handful of people got up and let midway through the first act. I'm not sure if they didn't bother to read the slip and were surprised to not see Vishneva in the lead role. Many left early on, so I can't imagine that they were simply running to the restroom. Tepid applause during most sections of the first act. Clearly this crowd was not eating it up.

I was slightly under the weather today and was almost going to pass on tonight but how could I miss Diana and Marcelo. Not until around 7:20 did I notice the insert in the Playbill and get the news.

This was my first RJ so I have nothing to compare it to, but I loved the balcony scene and the bedroom scene. Marcelo was.... Marcelo - great dancing, great acting, great stage presence, great looking. He brought out the best in Seo and I thought they had great chemistry - when they were together. Without him, she was unexciting. When Romeo died, you feel it. When Juliet dies, it just fizzles.

Thomas Forester, Alexandre Hammoudi and Martine Van Hamel were all enjoyable to watch. And Craig Salstein was brilliant.

Here's the thing with Vishneva canceling: I can fault ABT management for a lot of things but when stars like Vishnevs cancel there's really no good substitute. Especially a Vishneva/Gomes R&J: that was always going to be a hot ticket item. A similar thing happened this year at the Met when Jonas Kaufmann canceled two sold out Carmens, no Don Jose would have sufficed for ppl who traveled from Germany to see him.

At least Vishneva is generally reliable and doesn't usually cancel her engagements (although she does limit them so chances to see her aren't that frequent). I have a balletomane friend who said that even in her NYCB days Gelsey Kirkland caused hysteria whenever she danced ... and whenever she canceled. Which was often.

Omg. I am in my seat now and I just saw the note in the playbill. I had no idea.

For those who were refused exchanges, are you subscribers? We are supposed to be able to exchange at will. Had I known I would have tried.

Yes, I'm a subscriber and was refused an exchange. Only comps. For another Hee Seo performance:(

I just got back from tonight's ABT R&J. Poor Marcelo. He tried his best, but Hee Seo? BLECH!! If she's supposed to be getting better with all these performances I'm sure as heck not seeing it. She was serviceable in the balcony scene (though she had her hand on Marcelo's shoulders for the press lifts) but everything else was bad. And got progressively worse as the ballet went on. As soon as I saw her sloppy chainées in the opening scene with the nurse, I knew it was going to be bad. She's not a great actress and her acting tonight? Absolutely non-existent! After dancing an unexciting ballroom scene with Hammoudi (tonight's Paris) she just had the mandolin in her lap. No attempt to even look like she was playing. But after the first intermission, things went downhill fast. It was like watching a zombie. I was in the center of row H, orchestra, and using my binoculars, too. Not a flicker of expression came over her face the whole time. NOTHING:(( This girl badly needs an acting coach. From what I could see of the corps (which was good) Hee should never have been promoted to principal. Never. So many other deserving women. The Shen family that sponsors her obviously has a lot of clout.

I have to commend Marcelo for a good performance and trying his best to pull a performance out of Hee. And the harlots (Devon, ZJ Fang and Alexandra Basmagy) were very good. Tom Forster as Tybalt was excellent. Otherwise the performance was a bust. Many people simply didn't show up for the show(knowing the cast change) and after each intermission there were lots more empty seats. By the end, I think the orchestra probably lost a quarter of its seats. My husband said the Hee Seo tickets for Cinderella we were comped by ABT? Well, he's so disparaging of her, he's not going.

How would I go about getting one of these comps?

Try to calling the box office, ask for Akexandria and tell her how unhappy you were. I'm a subscriber and had already had complained to her once about all the cancellations and Hee Seo subbing for all of them. But basically, they'll only comp you for another Hee Seo performance in SL or Cinderella. Do you want to see Hee again? I definitely don't! I'll be writing a letter or email of complaint. This season has been ridiculous:(

From what I could see of the corps (which was good) Hee should never have been promoted to principal. Never. So many other deserving women. The Shen family that sponsors her obviously has a lot of clout.

Has Hee Seo's sponsorship changed recently? On the ABT website, it still lists the Fords as her sponsors. (I don't know how much clout the Shens have. They've been sponsoring Zhong-Jing Fang for years, and she like so many of the dancers is still struggling to come up through the ranks.)

I feel very badly for Hee Seo. She's been such a trouper taking on so many performances, filling in at the last minute for all these cancellations, which must be incredibly physically demanding and exhausting...and yet, she's incurring the wrath of so many simply because she's "not Osipova" or "not Vishneva." So many performances may not have happened if she weren't ready and willing to fill in when others could or would not. She may not be Vishneva/Semionova/Osipova/etc, but she does have some lovely qualities of her own that I'm glad some do appreciate. It signals a bigger problem with management if there is only one person who is able to pick up the slack, which is unfortunate due to the retirements, injuries, and illnesses this season, but Seo herself should not be blamed for this.

As an employee for ABT, she has certainly earned her keep, and I do hope she is compensated accordingly. They are both principals, but by this spring season's end, she will have appeared in 18 performances vs. Vishneva's...3.

Tepid applause during most sections of the first act. Clearly this crowd was not eating it up.

A handful of people got up and let midway through the first act. I'm not sure if they didn't bother to read the slip and were surprised to not see Vishneva in the lead role. Many left early on, so I can't imagine that they were simply running to the restroom. Tepid applause during most sections of the first act. Clearly this crowd was not eating it up.

I do think the whole cast knew the audience was in a VERY sour mood. The guys (Hoven was Benvolio, Salstein was Mercutio, Forster was Tybalt) really tried. Except Salstein AGAIN, bailed on that last handstand and jump in the mandolin dance. But otherwise they tried. And the guys got applause. After Hee would dance, it was silent; you could almost hear a pin drop. People were NOT happy. And at the end, no bravos, just applause, some people taking pictures. But as you can see in the thread, most left early. Kevin needs to get a clue. People do not like Hee Seo!!!!!

I feel very badly for Hee Seo. She's been such a trouper taking on so many performances, filling in at the last minute for all these cancellations, which must be incredibly physically demanding and exhausting...and yet, she's incurring the wrath of so many simply because she's "not Osipova" or "not Vishneva." So many performances may not have happened if she weren't ready and willing to fill in when others could or would not. She may not be Vishneva/Semionova/Osipova/etc, but she does have some lovely qualities of her own that I'm glad some do appreciate. It signals a bigger problem with management if there is only one person who is able to pick up the slack, which is unfortunate due to the retirements, injuries, and illnesses this season, but Seo herself should not be blamed for this.

As an employee for ABT, she has certainly earned her keep, and I do hope she is compensated accordingly. They are both principals, but by this spring season's end, she will have appeared in 18 performances vs. Vishneva's...3.

Sorry but I totally disagree. This is Kevin's doing. He likes Hee Seo, he likes the money that comes with her sponsors and so she's cast. Hee is not just "not Osipova". To my eyes, she's an incredibly mediocre dancer with absolutely zero acting ability. I would have rather seen anyone - Lane, Teuscher, Shevchenko - take on Juliet. Even a good corps dancer. I like Seo in Ashton and that's it. She's very weak technically. She falls or otherwise screws up obviously in EVERY performance I see her in. ENOUGH of her! I spent more than $250 on tonight's tickets to see a very bland technically weak dancer? NEVER AGAIN will I believe ABT's advance casting.

Sorry but I totally disagree. This is Kevin's doing. He likes Hee Seo, he likes the money that comes with her sponsors and so she's cast. Hee is not just "not Osipova". To my eyes, she's an incredibly mediocre dancer with absolutely zero acting ability. I would have rather seen anyone - Lane, Teuscher, Shevchenko - take on Juliet. Even a good corps dancer. I like Seo in Ashton and that's it. She's very weak technically. She falls or otherwise screws up obviously in EVERY performance I see her in. ENOUGH of her!

She was excellent on Wednesday. She didn't screw up or do anything wrong

(and if you think I wasn't disappointed Osipova couldn't dance, you are wrong. The difference is, I recognize injuries happen and don't hate on the performers. The comments about how Vishneva should have danced despite being ill? Or should have been able to realize she was going to be ill earlier in order to not inconvenience people? Incredible)

She was excellent on Wednesday. She didn't screw up or do anything wrong

Ok, she didn't fall tonight, like often. Big deal. Are we supposed to be happy a principal doesn't fall? And you didn't see Obraztsova last night did you? The contrast was totally dispiriting.

Well, you didn't see Obraztsova last night did you? The contrast was totally dispiriting.

I did. Actually. And no it was not. To be honest, their emotional connection (Hee and Marcelo's ) was much better and much more satisfying. Last night was wonderful, no question, but so was Wednesday.

Whoever said she didn't act at all, or express any emotion...well she either was completely different than Wednesday or I don't know what to say.

Amour, calm down. I think "People do not like Hee Seo" is too much. Some people liked her performance including my friends who often go to see ballets. Certainly my friends said that Seo was not "marvelous" and had several points to improve on both dancing and acting, but her innocent and fragile atomosphere was charming and was very suit Juliet. Of course it depends on the person's taste.

Amour, I think "People do not like Hee Seo" is too much. Some people like her performance including my friends who often go to see ballets. Certainly my friends said that Seo was not "marvelous" and had several points to improve on both dancing and acting, but her innocent and fragile atomosphere was charming and was very suit Juliet. Of course it depends on the person's taste.

Well, I have many friends who come almost every night to the ballet. 4 of them didn't come at all tonight (1said he gave away his ticket, the other 3 just didn't come). That's because they dislike the blandness of Hee so much. 2 others left at the first intermission. A few others (and myself) stayed out of respect (and pity) for Marcelo. None of my friends who stayed like Hee. My husband informed me he never wants to see Hee Seo ever, ever again, not even for our comped tickets. As for me, I'm just sick of what I consider her sub-par performances. Especially, for $125 a ticket! No way would I ever spend that money to see her. And the audience tonight was very, very subdued. As I noted, about 1/4 of the audience or more left before the end of the ballet. So that's my perspective.

Amour, calm down. I think "People do not like Hee Seo" is too much. Some people liked her performance including my friends who often go to see ballets. Certainly my friends said that Seo was not "marvelous" and had several points to improve on both dancing and acting, but her innocent and fragile atomosphere was charming and was very suit Juliet. Of course it depends on the person's taste.

Many, many people do not like Hee Seo. Kevin McKenzie and/or the ABT board like Hee Seo, so we are forced to see her, often. There is no doubt that many people at the Thursday night performance left after the first intermission. Some friends of mine skipped the performance entirely, simply writing off the money they spent on the tickets - one of them said that he gave his ticket to "a beggar", but just looking at the theater it was obvious that many people left after each intermission, and the audience reaction to her dancing was very muted, as opposed to their reaction to Gomes, which was very demonstrative,

If she was "not marvelous" and "has several points to improve on", then why is she a principal dancer, let alone one who gets many opening nights and so many performances?

The thing is, she has a beautiful body and poses prettily. Unfortunately there is no energy, no arc to her poses and the transition between them, the actual dancing goes nowhere. Her dance at the Capulet ball was lovely. Problem is, it was so inexpressive that she could have been dancing Manon, or the Thais pas de deux, There was no articulation of Juliet's personality in her dancing. She acted, she attempted to express emotion facially, but her dancing was blank. This Juliet was an empty suit. Blech.