This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2015: Romeo and Juliet

Would someone please video the curtain calls and tributes to Julie Kent tomorrow evening and post them? I so enjoyed watching the tributes to Reyes and Herrera on this board. I can't come to the performance and I would love to partake in the spirit of the evening, if just a little. Many thanks!

I was also at the Obraztsova/Cornejo performance and agree it was stunning. Her pas de bourrees alone were worth the price of admission -- so fast, like skimming water. Her arabesque was also so beautiful -- she reminded me of that dictum by Alexandra Danilova that one should always be able to see the upward movement of the leg. She and Herman didn't have off the charts chemistry but it hardly mattered. I too thought Simkin showboated too much for my tastes, and Gorak was very elegant as Benvolio. The orchestra playing was awful.

Full thoughts here: http://poisonivywalloftext.blogspot.com/2015/06/romeo-and-juliet.html

R&J is moving when Juliet = young love and innocence, but watching Obratsova, there was this extra dimension of a fully realized person with a history and relationship to her family long before Romeo's arrival. If you've spent some time with the play, suffice it to say that Obratsova's Juliet is Shakespeare's Juliet -- not just MacMillan's.

I was also at the Obraztsova/Cornejo performance and agree it was stunning. Her pas de bourrees alone were worth the price of admission -- so fast, like skimming water. Her arabesque was also so beautiful -- she reminded me of that dictum by Alexandra Danilova that one should always be able to see the upward movement of the leg. She and Herman didn't have off the charts chemistry but it hardly mattered. I too thought Simkin showboated too much for my tastes, and Gorak was very elegant as Benvolio. The orchestra playing was awful.

Full thoughts here: http://poisonivywalloftext.blogspot.com/2015/06/romeo-and-juliet.html

Yeah the orchestra, after sounding better the last year or two I thought, has been really awful this year. It is probably worst for R&J and was in poor form both weds and thurs nights, with last night being the poorer of the two. Truly cringeworthly.

The performances, both nights, however, were lovely. Maybe I'll review later, but a lot of what I've wanted to say has been said. I'll briefly add that there were a lot of delights in both performances and I'm very glad I saw each of them.

Would someone please video the curtain calls and tributes to Julie Kent tomorrow evening and post them? I so enjoyed watching the tributes to Reyes and Herrera on this board. I can't come to the performance and I would love to partake in the spirit of the evening, if just a little. Many thanks!

Yes, pretty please!

Kaysta, if they bring Obratzova back, you must drop everything to come and see her. She is one of those dancers who moves like no one else, and with such fluidity that it will add an entirely new dimension to your perspective on ballet, and also break your heart. For the bourrees alone, you must come.

One thing about Obraztsova's performance: she is obviously a star (you can't help but look at her when she's dancing) but she didn't make last night's performance a star turn. I felt like she was very conscientious in adjusting to Cornejo's height, interacting with other members of the cast (the Nurse, Paris), and not overdoing anything. She was exquisite.

I'm really glad I got to see this performance -- I'm seeing very little ABT this year and it was a last-minute decision. So glad I went. Obraztsova is a wonderful dancer - light, fluid, flexible, beautiful feet, and a wonderfully silky way of moving. The bourrees were to die for. And as others have said, she really filled out the details of Juliet; you could see her character growing and changing over the course of the ballet. Very believable. I would love to see more of her. Cornejo was wonderful, ardent and masculine. He, Simkin, and Gorak were something of a "dream team." They each have a distinctive individuality, yet also looked great together. Gorak's technique is so clean and his form is so elegant that he almost looked out of place in a supporting role -- he looked like he was dancing the lead.

WhAAAAT. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was hoping that Victura was making a bad joke, but it does indeed say Hee for tonight. Can't believe this.

Why is Hee the replacement in every ballet all season. Murphy only had one Juliet. I could have lived with her as the replacemnt for tonght because I have not seen her Juliet in a few years.

Unbelievable, this is the final straw. I know injuries happen but when did this turn into Seo Ballet Theater? If Vishneva is injured they have plenty of other dancers who could have been given this opportunity. People on this board have said that Juliet is Seo's best role. I hope so because there is nothing left for me to exchange this into, and if I don't like what I see I intend to boo. Loudly.

Huge Thanks to all for the Obraztsova reports!

Why am I not surprised in the least of her triumph? :)

Seeing that she's quite under-utilized at the Bolshoi and rarely included in their international tours, may I dream that she might be spending a nice long time at ABT in the future? I've never been a big fan of the rent-a-Russian practice but Genya Obraztsova is an exception.

P.s. I'd pay a mint to see her as Aurora in Ratmansky's BEAUTY. She was one of the loveliest Auroras in the Mariinsky's 1890 version, which is another interpretation of the Stepanov notes on Petipa's original, so 'known' to Genya.

Unbelievable, this is the final straw. I know injuries happen but when did this turn into Seo Ballet Theater? If Vishneva is injured they have plenty of other dancers who could have been given this opportunity. People on this board have said that Juliet is Seo's best role. I hope so because there is nothing left for me to exchange this into, and if I don't like what I see I intend to boo. Loudly.

I'm sure it's Seo instead of Murphy because Murphy and Gomes wouldn't have rehearsed this together. In this particular case, it actually makes perfect sense for Seo to step in. I don't think ABT can be faulted for that particular decision.

Yes, and so is Murphy and they dance together regularly. I don't see why Murphy couldn't have stepped in. I sure hope Seo gets through the season without injury. She's turning out to be the MVP whether folks like it or not. (I'm sure there will be a lot of angry folks at the ballet tonight.)