This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2015

Casting is up for the final week, all Midsummer Night's Dream. I did a double take when I saw the casting for the final performance -- M. Miller as Titania? Who? Oh, wait - isn't there an apprentice named Miriam Miller? Wow. I applaud NYCB for the bold casting moves! Love that they trust, and try, the talents of their very own dancers. I have absolutely no idea who this dancer is, but I'm glad I have a ticket to that performance!

There is an apprentice, Clara Miller, who did the SAB Workshop performance of Western Symphony but I have no idea who M. Miller is.

I may have to go to this performance because Anthony Huxley is Oberon. And I ADORE him. He has gotten so many new roles this season. If he isn't promoted after this season, I will be very, very surprised.

An apprentice as Titania. Good for Peter Martins. I will be there. I'm also curious to see Bouder in the divert pas. It's one of my favorite pieces of choreography ever. I wouldn't think she was suited for it, but I'll let it be an afternoon to let myself be open for surprises.

Miriam Miller is an SAB student although it's possible Peter has made her an apprentice before the usual Workshop announcements.

The casting sheet just lists M. Miller with the symbols for first time in role and apprentice. This is pretty exciting.

Miriam Miller was promoted to Apprentice this past Fall/Winter from SAB. Very kind and stunning young girl.

Miriam Miller was promoted to Apprentice this past Fall/Winter from SAB. Very kind and stunning young girl.

WOW! Great for her! Can you ever imagine something like this happening over at ABT? Hahahahaha! It's why I love and go to NYCB so often. One never knows when magic might happen.

I happen to have a ticket for the Miller performance and I'm looking forward to it. Also fascinating is that Ulbricht is FINALLY leaving Puck behind and is elevated into Oberon. Also looking forward to seeing Huxley as Oberon.

I was at last night's performance (Walpurgisnacht, Sonatine, La Valse, Symphony in C). It was a wonderful night. Whenever I see all that hair swinging about in Walpurgisnacht, I think that the shampoo industry is missing a great opportunity for a very dramatic commercial. Symphony in C. I love this piece. First movement -- I didn't feel Ana Sophia Scheller was quite up to her previous speed and precision. Veyette very commanding. Second movement -- I love Maria Kowroski in this role (of course, I love her in pretty much any role). I wonder why she did every performance this season, and Mearns and Reichlen none. I couldn't help but wonder if this is the last time I will see Kowroski in this role, but if I live to be 100, I can never forget that moment at the end where she and Tyler Angle lock eyes just before he slowly turns and lowers her down -- a vision of total and poignant surrender to a valiant partner. Third movement -- Ashly Isaacs and Joseph Gordon both looking terrific, like they're the future of NYCB. Isaacs is, IMHO, the most exciting dancer to emerge in years. She has a joy that's infectious and a propulsive quality that is breathtaking. Fourth movement - Lauren King bright, Sean Suozzi not quite as bright. I noticed a funny thing. In the opening movement, Ashley Hod appeared as a demisoloist, in place of Megan LeCrone, who was listed in the program. Then Hod appeared again in the corps in one of the other movements (I forget which), and in the final section, LeCrone appeared in the demisoloist role while Hod stayed with the corps. Wonder what happened there.

I was there too cobweb. For me, the evening's highlight was La Valse. Mearns' dramatic intensity is riveting. Reichlin was lovely in Walpurgsnacht, but that ballet requires much more energy and excitement from the ballerina. Adrian DW, however, was quite an improvement over the first cast (Ask LaCour).

Bouder is such a great dancer, but I felt that her exaggertated facial expressions to the audience diminished Sonatine.

I'm glad Maria's pregnancy is now public info. So happy for her and her husband. That baby has some exquisitely gorgeous parental genes.

A. Isaacs and J. Gordon were so great in the third movement of "C". NYCB is bursting at the seams with talented corps members who deserve promotions. Whenever they are onstage I am in awe, and I can't wait to see them in new roles.

Well you might not be seeing Maria Kowroski in the role for awhile, that's for sure. She just announced on her public instagram (so I'm posting it here) that she's pregnant and the baby is due in November.

What wonderful news! I saw her opening night in MONUMENTUM PRO GESUALDO/MOVEMENTS FOR PIANO AND ORCHESTRA and I didn’t suspect a thing! As always, my eyes are drawn to those amazing legs that go on forever and ever! I am so happy for her!

Her attempts to adjust to the newly added weight may explain why she seemed insecure in certain portions of Symphony in C, where she was momentarily unsupported, which was reported by various people on this forum.

Her attempts to adjust to the newly added weight may explain why she seemed insecure in certain portions of Symphony in C, where she was momentarily unsupported, which was reported by various people on this forum.

In past seasons (recent past seasons) I have seen her look insecure in Symphony in C at the same moments described and in the same way described, including also shaking when she was supported. She is a beautiful ballerina and very beautiful in this role even when having difficulties, but it is not a brand new phenomenon for her to have them.