18 replies to this topic

#16 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:06 PM

I'm pretty sure that the MacMillan rep is still under copyright protection.  Isn't there a similar organization [to the Balanchine Trust] that monitors performances of MacMillan's works?

It's name is Lady Deborah MacMillan.

http://www.theguardi...guardianreview5

#17 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:19 AM

I know that she sold out the Met Opera house when she danced SB with ABT.  From my experience, some of her performances at ABT have been wonderful, while others were mediocre.  In particular, I recall a Don Q that wasn't very good. Her SB w. Carreno and her Giselle w. Corella were very memorable, although she did make some surprising alterations to the Giselle Act II choreography.  In addition to the roles she is already scheduled for at ABT during the spring season, I wouldn't be at all surprised if her name also ended up in some of the TBA slots for the ABT spring season.

I agree that the Don Q she did with ABT was disappointing, there were several noticeable technical lapses. I think its worth noting that she was dancing through an injury that season.  Perhaps she should have canceled rather than risk the damage to her reputation, but then look at all the flack she took for canceling her performances due to injury this past season.

She has given some amazing performances over the years - her Aurora is absolutely breathtaking and considered by many to be the gold standard of our generation. Her artistry is at least as important to me as her technique, but her technique has always been very, very strong.  I haven't seen her since that injury season so I can't say if her technique has suffered permanent erosion or if she's now back to her usual technical standard, but I certainly intend to see all of her ABT performances this spring! The Royal Ballet was crazy to let her go but I'm glad she's found a company where she is happy.

#18 annamk

annamk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

Personally, I think Alina's performances have always been less about absolute technical mastery and more about dramatic and emotional intensity. 

#19 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:57 AM

And she was absolutely RADIANT on the first night of Corsaire in Milton Keynes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):