ABT's Male Principal ProblemPoll

• Please log in to reply
349 replies to this topic

Poll: Promote From Within or Go On a Spending Spree? (72 member(s) have cast votes)

To solve its looming shortage of male principals, should ABT:

1. Promote from within to fill the ranks (45 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. Go out into the free market and hire male principals from outside the company (27 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,124 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

I haven't seen Golding live or Polunin on video -- Emerging Pictures isn't showing the Royal Ballet in Vancouver, only the Bolshoi -- so it's hard for me to compare stage presence. From the video, I wasn't wowed by Golding's stage presence as much as pure technique in the Hallberg mold, and Basilio is not a princely role, but he did lots of virtuoso things without breaking any form or line or the big "Ta-da, look at the pirouettes I just did!!!!!", which is usually a good indication of being a good prince.

I know there was recent news about budget cuts in the Netherlands, but I don't see what ABT would have to offer Golding that he's not getting in Europe, unless he wants to be in NYC.

I can't believe they let him get away in the first place.

#152 balletmor

balletmor

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

Can't really comment on my choice, but let us PLEASE give mention to one of my favorites, Roman Z, when we are bringing up the Character Dancer category. Even though his hard work and tremendous talent maybe won't land him at the Principal's table, He is a vital part of their program, and I too think there should be some sort of promotion possibilities when considering, the many "solo" character parts he so brilliantly plays!

#153 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

Are there any candidates in American, Canadian or Australian companies that should be on this list?

#154 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:11 AM

How about promoting both Stella and Sascha to principal status, using Sascha as the utility/fill in dancer? I've also been impressed with Roddy Doble over the last few years and feel he should certainly be promoted to soloist. He's got the virility and appears tall on stage and I feel could do much more than he is given. On the issue of height. Tamm, who I like a lot, did not appear that tall when I saw him fill in for Hallberg in Nutcracker last Dec. Maybe I just had the vision of the leaner musculature of Hallberg in my mind.

#155 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:17 AM

Meant to also say I'm very much in favor of creating a principal character level and fill it immediately with Roman (!!!), Craig, and Julio. Maybe there are apprentices that would aspire to this category if they are not leading man types.

#156 mom2

mom2

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:27 AM

Guillaume Cote (National Ballet of Canada) has guested with ABT in the past, so if I were looking for someone I would at least consider him. Toronto audiences love him.

http://national.ball...illaume_Côté/

#157 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:36 AM

I like the idea of both developing male dancers from within, but since this takes a while hire from outside as well. ABT has always done this - haven't they? Bujones joined ABT as a corps dancer, Barysnikov was hired as a principal after his defection from the Kirov. Gomes and Hallberg started in the corps, but Carreno and Stiefel were hired from other companies (Carreno from the Royal Ballet, Stiefel from NYCB.) I'm not sure about Julio Bocca - wasn't he hired as a principal? Many posters have mentioned excellent candidates for ABT to hire from the outside, but with regard to within the company in my opinion there are not too many choices. I really don't like Jared Matthews as a dancer and performer. I just don't think his technique is consistently good and he is very bland. Sascha Radetsky is also inconsistent and he's certainly no kid. I would love to see Eric Tamm groomed to be a principal at ABT. He doesn't get many opportunities, but when he does he makes full use of them. As already stated, Savliev doesn't have much personality and he's got to be close to 40. His technique seems to be declining in the last couple of years. I haven't seen Gorak often enough to consider him. I think Joseph Phillips is worth a shot. And I really love Daniil Simkin. Who cares how young he looks? I really don't see why that is a big deal. And as for size, I don't think it matters as long as there are ballerinas short enough to be partnered with him (of course that is a problem. Maybe ABT should groom some petite female dancers to solve this problem.) And I don't think Simkin always dances like he's performing at a gala. I think he's a very good actor. I saw him as Basilio in Don Q last year and he was great!! He's very good as Benovlio (is that how you spell the name) in Romeo and Juliet, but I think Simkin would be just perfect as Mercutio. It's very sad, isn't it, how ABT went from having such a surfeit of wonderful male dancers that dancers like Parrish Maynard and Carlos Lopez (and I'm sure others, I just can't remember who off hand) felt they had to leave ABT and now ABT is short of male dancers. Let's hope Kevin McKenzie is working on this problem.

#158 lmspear

lmspear

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:06 AM

Can't really comment on my choice, but let us PLEASE give mention to one of my favorites, Roman Z, when we are bringing up the Character Dancer category. Even though his hard work and tremendous talent maybe won't land him at the Principal's table, He is a vital part of their program, and I too think there should be some sort of promotion possibilities when considering, the many "solo" character parts he so brilliantly plays!

There is a precedent for this. I don't think William Carter or Terry Orr ever danced a prince role between the two of them, but their talent and contributions were considered worthy of principle status.

#159 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,124 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

Guillaume Cote (National Ballet of Canada) has guested with ABT in the past, so if I were looking for someone I would at least consider him. Toronto audiences love him.

http://national.ball...C%C3%B4t%C3%A9/

I love Cote and his wife, Heather Ogden, but the NBoC season runs November-June, and this year they have two programs and their big gala running in June.

#160 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

There is a precedent for this. I don't think William Carter or Terry Orr ever danced a prince role between the two of them, but their talent and contributions were considered worthy of principle status.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but Marcos Paredes was also a principal although he did mostly character roles.

#161 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

I thought Alexandre H. did very well in the couple of principal roles(Nutcracker and Bright Stream) i saw him danced but he has not been given a major classical role to do(Solor? Siegfred?) Gray D. has the height,looks, technique and stamina.OC friends has reported that he did several performances of Thirteen Diversions(covering for injuries) sensationally. Aaron S. is a terrific dancer but is more of a Herman Cornejo-type .I have not seen Thomas F. in a major role but has the height and appearance.

#162 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:09 AM

Are there any candidates in American, Canadian or Australian companies that should be on this list?

Z Konvalina, also of ENB, would do well in the ABT repertoire.

#163 mom2

mom2

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

Yes I agree Bingham. Don't know how possible it would be to stay with ENB, guest at NBOC and dance with ABT as well, but sure would be exciting for him! Personally I would prefer Cote over Konvalina. Posted Image

#164 mom2

mom2

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

On my list of dancers I'd be trying to lure if I was ABT.... Evan Mc Kie and Jason Reilly, Stuttgart Ballet. Have seen them both perform here in Canada and enjoyed them both immensely.

An American dancer I've really enjoyed is Brooklyn Mack.

Unfortunately, ABT isn't calling to ask my opinion...

#165 Golden Idol

Golden Idol

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

It's perhaps a bit naughty of me to suggest this, but after Corella has left, and the air is cleared, might his ex-brother-in-law (and I do mean ex) Joaquin De Luz be lured back to ABT? At NYCB he usually dances the sort of virtuoso, romantic repertoire that fits in much more naturally at ABT, and the NYCB audiences go wild for him. It was so nice to see him back at ABT last year guesting as Benno in Carreno's farewell Swan Lake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):