Going against the pretty boy grain here:

Ed Watson

#168 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:44 PM

I think he was mentioned a couple of years ago on this thread, but I have to add my vote for John Kriza.

#169 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:16 PM

i can't recall now where the comment was posted, but someone recently mentioned Peter Martins in a Blackglama ad.
here's a scan of a copy of the ad. (the photo has a 1979 date.)

Attached Files

#170 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:47 PM

I mentioned it on the Most Handsome Dancers thread, of course, where it did not seem to demonstrate it. Martins was very handsome when young, still not bad, but I remember first seeing this photo, opening a New Yorker, and thought it was awful.

#171 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:40 PM

rg--have you the late 30s photo of Graham in mink for furrier I.J. Fox, I just read about it in the McDonagh: "With her hat poised rakishly forward, she posed in front of a mirror displaying Mr. Fox's mink as pertly as anyone who had earned a badge of distinction".

#172 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:03 PM

if you mean a copy of the photo in question better than this poor reproduction from the Praeger edition of McDonagh's book, i don't have one.
the attached scan is from the insert of illustrations between pp. 150 & 150 from my copy of McDonagh's biog.
(my Popular Library paperback ed. of the same book also has this illus. but the pulpy paper is yellowed and the clarity of the photo worse is even than the one from the hardcover book.)
it's quite possible that this same photo ahs been reproduced elsewhere, but i can't recall ever seeing another.

Attached Files

#173 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:17 PM

Thanks so much, and my apologies for the trouble. I'd seen the photo in the book I'm holding at this very moment, but it hadn't occurred to me that that was an ad since he's in it, and I just read about it tonight. I wonder if that was a kind of ad done in those years, with someone else in it (in this case, the designer), or if that photo was the occasion, but not the actual ad that would have appeared in the magazines. The book does have some marvelous photos in it, and I wonder if at later periods the one from 'Deaths and Entrances' on the page opposite the Fox photo, might have been very effective as some kind of ad, perfume perhaps--it's gorgeous.

#174 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,999 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:31 PM

I should not have neglected Maris Liepa in my original post from years ago :wub:

#175 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:11 PM

I’m inclined to agree with leonid about that shot of Bolle, although I know you meant no harm, cubanmiamiboy. Not that it isn’t, uh, appealing....

I like your other choices much better, though. :bow:

I know it shows enough to be considered by some as "out of place". Still, I can't think of it as being harmful in any case. I just thought of it as...edgy, risky and...beautiful. Then, I know it was enjoyable by many others.... I thought about taking it down, but then decided not to. :wub:

#176 spiritfire

spiritfire

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

Edward Villella
Grant, his recent performance of the Pas from The Nutcracker was beautiful. His handsome looks were complimented by his ability to make his partner look like everything was effortless. He enabled her to go for anything knowing that he was there. He was beautiful to watch, and made his partner look even better.

When or where did Grant danced the Nutcracker PDD? Thanks.

I saw Grant Delong as Nutcracker Cavalier at the Hershey Theatre December 20 - 21, partnering Sarah Walborn. Beautiful.

#177 tutu

tutu

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:59 PM

Nikolaj Hübbe
Robert Fairchild
Zachary Catazaro
Jose Carreño
Maxim Beloserkovsky
Cory Stearns
Ruben Martin
Sean Orza
Lucien Postlewaite
Seth Orza
Jerome Tisserand

#178 CarmelaSMira

CarmelaSMira

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:48 AM

Sergei Polunin is one of my favourites!

#179 martinoff

martinoff

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:50 PM

1. Roberto Bolle
2. Angel Corella
3. Andris Liepa
4. JM Correno
5. Mikhail Baryshnikov
7. Farukh Ruzimatov
8. Maris Liepa

#180 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:51 AM

My vote is for Roberto Bolle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):