This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Met Season 2024

I saw Whiteside-Seo again at the Saturday matinee. I think they were by far the best of the three pairs of principals this week -- especially the drama and emotion, along with solid technique. I was so impressed with the dramatic nuance from Whiteside throughout. Nothing felt pasted on or done only for effect. It was fun to see the debut of Misseldine and she seemed much more confident and relaxed on the second performance. Shevchenko and Stearns were reliable and workmanlike, but just didn't push the emotional envelope for me. 

For Lensky-Olga, the winners for me were Roxander-Coker and Bell-Hurlin. The others were good, but not really captivating with the same excitement.

I do love this ballet and hope it will return in the not-too-distant future!

3 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Well, the mystery surrounding the corps rehearsing Kingdom of the Shades has been solved- they performed it this morning at ABT Kids. 

Lea Fleytoux posted a story about it (only visible to IG members):

https://www.instagram.com/leafleytoux?igsh=eGh5a2l3aW9vanZz

Hoping they still perform it during the Fall season, or next year.

And Takumi Miyake danced Don Q Act III Basilio. He posted footage on his Instagram. Maybe we'll see a big opportunity for him in the full ballet next year? I think Roxander would be a shoo-in. 

1 hour ago, California said:

For the Saturday matinee today, they opened the second set of doors marked for "subscribers" and people crammed inside, but there were still people stranded outside in the brutal heat. I wish they would open the lobby one hour ahead, as the State theater does, at least to get people out of the heat, which is really dangerous.

I wonder if it is cost.  If they open the lobby earlier, would they have to pay the staff one extra hour?  Was Geffen Hall's lobby opened?  

Just now, Novice123 said:

I wonder if it is cost.  If they open the lobby earlier, would they have to pay the staff one extra hour?  Was Geffen Hall's lobby opened?  

The Geffen lobby is normally a wonderful retreat (and with electrical plugs, public restrooms, and water fountains). But this afternoon, for the second time this week, it was closed for a private event! 

27 minutes ago, matilda said:

And Takumi Miyake danced Don Q Act III Basilio. He posted footage on his Instagram. Maybe we'll see a big opportunity for him in the full ballet next year? I think Roxander would be a shoo-in. 

Saw Takumi dance Neapolitan in DC. He was amazing! He definitely stood out and so many people were saying "Wow!" in the crowd. Got one of the loudest applauses for that act. 

Not sure why Royal didn't take him since he danced Raymonda with Madison Penney during RBS graduation show. Maybe height? But ABT promptly swooped him up. 

Edited by balletlover08
3 hours ago, California said:

I saw Whiteside-Seo again at the Saturday matinee. I think they were by far the best of the three pairs of principals this week -- especially the drama and emotion, along with solid technique. I was so impressed with the dramatic nuance from Whiteside throughout. Nothing felt pasted on or done only for effect. It was fun to see the debut of Misseldine and she seemed much more confident and relaxed on the second performance. Shevchenko and Stearns were reliable and workmanlike, but just didn't push the emotional envelope for me. 

For Lensky-Olga, the winners for me were Roxander-Coker and Bell-Hurlin. The others were good, but not really captivating with the same excitement.

I do love this ballet and hope it will return in the not-too-distant future!

Completely agree.  Just posted similar thoughts on the Onegin thread.  Good to see you California.  Hope to see you again soon.

On 6/10/2024 at 11:38 PM, volcanohunter said:

Sarah Kaufman famously made the same argument 15 years ago in her "curse of Balanchine" piece.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/07/AR2009050704620.html

Thanks so much @volcanohunter for recommending this piece. I found it fascinating to read. It helped to clarify in my mind some distinctions between Balanchine and "story ballets" that I had sensed, but never took the time to put into words. It also gave me a greater appreciation for story ballets and dance theatre, and more of a willingness to give these a chance on their own terms -- ie, don't go in expecting a Balanchine type experience. I definitely recommend this article to anyone who hasn't read it yet. 

22 hours ago, balletlover08 said:

Saw Takumi dance Neapolitan in DC. He was amazing! He definitely stood out and so many people were saying "Wow!" in the crowd. Got one of the loudest applauses for that act. 

Not sure why Royal didn't take him since he danced Raymonda with Madison Penney during RBS graduation show. Maybe height? But ABT promptly swooped him up. 

They didn’t take Madison Penney, either, so perhaps casting wasn’t related.

On 6/22/2024 at 6:44 PM, Novice123 said:
On 6/22/2024 at 5:25 PM, California said:

For the Saturday matinee today, they opened the second set of doors marked for "subscribers" and people crammed inside, but there were still people stranded outside in the brutal heat. I wish they would open the lobby one hour ahead, as the State theater does, at least to get people out of the heat, which is really dangerous.

The State Theater has their large Promenade which opens an hour before performances. The Geffen has a lobby that opens regardless of performance times. They're encouraging people to use that as an individual work space, you don't need a ticket to enter. I've never thought the Met was designed that way. I don't recall any large open spaces. They have the restaurant space (on the same level as the terrace). Can they clear that? They have that magnificent stairway, but you can hardly let people congregate on the stairs. Where would people go if they opened early? Out onto the terrace? With the heat? Doesn't that defeat the point?

On 6/23/2024 at 7:54 AM, balletlover08 said:

Takumi Miyake said in a Japanese interview that he got injured before the audition for Royal Ballet, which was his first choice. So RB’s loss is ABT’s gain. 

15 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

The State Theater has their large Promenade which opens an hour before performances. The Geffen has a lobby that opens regardless of performance times. They're encouraging people to use that as an individual work space, you don't need a ticket to enter. I've never thought the Met was designed that way. I don't recall any large open spaces. They have the restaurant space (on the same level as the terrace). Can they clear that? They have that magnificent stairway, but you can hardly let people congregate on the stairs. Where would people go if they opened early? Out onto the terrace? With the heat? Doesn't that defeat the point?

Not everyone arrives early so finding a place to congregate should not be an issue. All the MET needs to do is let people in out of the heat to cool off and use the restrooms. The area in front of the bar will hold that group just as it does when they let people in before the auditorium opens for seating.

I remember the MET opening early when Russian companies performed so they had extra time for baggage check. I didn’t see an issue then, and unlike current attendance at ABT, the house was always full to capacity.

There are at least three bars. Downstairs, orchestra and top level. Lots of opportunity to make money. It’s silly to keep people out. I understand not propping the doors open and letting all the heat in and having to waste energy on AC. But why not unlock them and let people come in as they arrive?

3 minutes ago, nanushka said:

There are at least three bars. Downstairs, orchestra and top level. Lots of opportunity to make money. It’s silly to keep people out. I understand not propping the doors open and letting all the heat in and having to waste energy on AC. But why not unlock them and let people come in as they arrive?

I agree. And, the downstairs bar where all the opera photos are was never reopened after covid. Makes no sense. 

53 minutes ago, NinaFan said:

Not everyone arrives early so finding a place to congregate should not be an issue. All the MET needs to do is let people in out of the heat to cool off and use the restrooms. The area in front of the bar will hold that group just as it does when they let people in before the auditorium opens for seating.

I remember the MET opening early when Russian companies performed so they had extra time for baggage check. I didn’t see an issue then, and unlike current attendance at ABT, the house was always full to capacity.

Union rules have a specific start time for ushers to begin working.  They don't start a minute before the appointed time.  If you want an earlier admission time for patrons beyond 30 minutes prior to curtain time, I assume you have to pay for that concession.  

ABT rehearses on stage, so it is possible that they are utilizing the stage for rehearsal until the house opens 30 minutes before curtain time. 

Edited by abatt
12 minutes ago, nanushka said:

The opera house and ABT don't make profit off of the bars.  That work is put out for bid, and the winning bid gets the concession rights.  The Met Opera gets paid the agreed contract price for the bid, and it is up to the company operating the food concessions as to how they want to staff things.  They apparently concluded that the basement bar was not profitable and did not justify hiring additional personnel to operate it.

3 minutes ago, abatt said:

Union rules have a specific start time for ushers to begin working.  They don't start a minute before the appointed time.  If you want an earlier admission time for patrons beyond 30 minutes prior to curtain time, I assume you have to pay for that concession. 

Would that apply even just for admission to the building facilities, not the auditorium?

1 minute ago, nanushka said:

Would that apply even just for admission to the building facilities, not the auditorium?

As soon as people get in the first thing they do is attempt to walk into the auditorium.  It is the ushers who stop people from going in until the appointed time.  They really cannot start letting people into the house without the ushers controlling entrance to the auditorium.

Until maybe 2 years ago I never recall huge lines waiting outside to be let into the building so close to the performance time, so there must have been a way to make that work. (I assume the auditorium doors have locks. I'd be surprised if the house manager were on the same contract as the ushers, though it's possible.)

Edited by nanushka
1 hour ago, abatt said:

As soon as people get in the first thing they do is attempt to walk into the auditorium.  It is the ushers who stop people from going in until the appointed time.  They really cannot start letting people into the house without the ushers controlling entrance to the auditorium.

From my own experience I do not believe there is a way to get into the auditorium unless the doors have been opened/unlocked for admittance.  I once got locked out of a rehearsal and another time an actual performance when I stupidly thought the pause was an intermission.  It's no different than the State Theater in that you can't get in until they let you in.

1 hour ago, abatt said:

ABT rehearses on stage, so it is possible that they are utilizing the stage for rehearsal until the house opens 30 minutes before curtain time. 

Of course, I would expect that any theater would have to pay ushers or any other other staff such as the ticket takers for working beyond their normal hours. 

It's also possible that ABT does not rehearse on stage thirty minutes before the doors open.  But assuming they might, I don't see how it be would problematic when no one is admitted to the auditorium.

Edited by NinaFan
On 6/23/2024 at 8:25 PM, BalanchineFan said:

My understanding, from last year when I was stuck on the plaza twice in the heat, is that it relates to air conditioning, at least that is what I was told when I complained.  That is, if they opened all the doors t,oo much heat would get into the building. I am assuming, like so much else in that theater, the ac is in bad need of replacement. I have not been to a matinee this year. I did go Friday evening and and went late (7.15) on purpose, to avoid standing on that sweltering plaza. I do have a matinee ticket for next week and haven't yet decided on a strategy. If you want to go to the gift shop,, go very very early, like an hour to an hour and a half early, as I don't believe they were letting people in for even that last year.

Edited by Mary Mellowdew
typo