This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2023-2024 Season

Just a few thoughts from today’ performance:

1) Ballo della Regina — impressed by Joseph Gordon — more bravura today than I ever remember from him — reminded me a bit of Damian Woetzel — not so much in terms of facility — but in the the slight flick of the wrist at the end of his variation as if to say, “ there you go, easy as pie.”  When I saw MT MacKinnon dash onto the stage I thought next time she should be cast as the lead — her dancing has force, clarity, speed — and she’s a show off — in the best way, she lets her dancing do the talking.  I’m sensing that there is talk about India Bradley and her possible promotion to soloist — and I’m a fan — and it may happen — but she and MT were paired side by side in the 4T’s and in Ballo — and MT impressed me more, she remained in my mind’s eye longer, and I could picture MT dancing in the lead parts in other ballets.  I was thinking of which corp dancers will be promoted next — and there is such a strong field of contenders…

2) In a Landscape — 2 very, very strong contenders for promotion to soloist are Dominika and Alec.  Alec has proven to be the definition of a stalwart partner.  And I hadn’t REALLY noticed Dominika till this afternoon — OMG, she’s a gorgeous dancer — with such a delicate way of moving, to move slowly with such grace, as if under water — and with the loveliest feet since Maria Kowroski.  She danced this ballet so different than Ava did last week — and yet both were so wonderful, both so impressive.  Ava was monumental, elemental — Dominika was refined, exquisite.   It was like one week watching the Winged Victory of Samothrace and today watching the Nefertiti Bust.  

3) Hallelujah Junction — Alston and Victor stood out again — and I thought should/could have replaced Taylor and Lauren as the lead couple — not that Taylor and Lauren were wrong for the parts, or danced poorly — they danced well — but they weren’t the best couple in this piece — and  talent such as Alston’s deserves to be on stage for longer than a minute.  She is on my short list of candidates for promotion.

And who is David Gabriel?  And how did I not notice him till yesterday’s Copland?  He was striking and memorable yesterday.  But today — it was like Athena being born from the head of Zeus — fully grown, dressed in armor, ready for battle (well, dance battle).  And dance battle he did — and he dazzled and conquered  — stealing the show — and I wouldn’t have been surprised if Jonathan Stafford came out after the curtain call and promoted David on the spot.  I would have. 

Thinking about who of the women might be promoted to soloist, to me right now there are several strong contenders, but maybe none yet a slam-dunk (it's not like the situation when Maxwell and Kikta languished forever in the corps). India Bradley -- is getting lots of opportunities and seems to be favored by management so I wouldn't be surprised if she's promoted, but I don't see it yet. While her flexibility and lanky physique are beautiful, I find it sometimes makes her seem insubstantial. Seeing her in the same role (one of Melancholic's two sidekicks) recently as Mary Thomas MacKinnon and Alston Macgill, I found them more fierce and impactful, not to mention having better form, than Bradley. I feel that Bradley's physique and strengths are more suited to roles requiring delicacy, such as when she did the pas de trois in Emeralds, a role I liked her in. But her elegance and artistry need work. Dominika Afanasenkov -- another obvious candidate, who has done very well in all the opportunities given to her, but maybe could be tested in a broader range of roles before promotion. Ava Sautter -- similar situation to Afanasenkov, she blew "In a Landscape" out of the park and seems to have huge potential, but needs more testing in big roles. Mary Thomas MacKinnon -- someone I've found very interesting and compelling, again not quite sure she's ready. Mind you, no complaints from me if any of these ladies gets the nod! Alston Macgill -- great to see her looking so strong. She got big (huge) opportunities right when she joined the company and did very well. I don't recall what role it was, but I remember thinking at one point that she held the stage against a cast of dancers far more experienced, august, not to mention much taller, than she was! If she keeps looking as good as she does now, she also is an obvious candidate for soloist, and a good size to pair with Takahashi and the apparently up-and-coming David Gabriel. That's my assessment, did I leave anyone out?

On 2/19/2024 at 10:55 AM, cobweb said:

Thinking about who of the women might be promoted to soloist, to me right now there are several strong contenders, but maybe none yet a slam-dunk (it's not like the situation when Maxwell and Kikta languished forever in the corps). India Bradley -- is getting lots of opportunities and seems to be favored by management so I wouldn't be surprised if she's promoted, but I don't see it yet. While her flexibility and lanky physique are beautiful, I find it sometimes makes her seem insubstantial. Seeing her in the same role (one of Melancholic's two sidekicks) recently as Mary Thomas MacKinnon and Alston Macgill, I found them more fierce and impactful, not to mention having better form, than Bradley. I feel that Bradley's physique and strengths are more suited to roles requiring delicacy, such as when she did the pas de trois in Emeralds, a role I liked her in. But her elegance and artistry need work. Dominika Afanasenkov -- another obvious candidate, who has done very well in all the opportunities given to her, but maybe could be tested in a broader range of roles before promotion. Ava Sautter -- similar situation to Afanasenkov, she blew "In a Landscape" out of the park and seems to have huge potential, but needs more testing in big roles. Mary Thomas MacKinnon -- someone I've found very interesting and compelling, again not quite sure she's ready. Mind you, no complaints from me if any of these ladies gets the nod! Alston Macgill -- great to see her looking so strong. She got big (huge) opportunities right when she joined the company and did very well. I don't recall what role it was, but I remember thinking at one point that she held the stage against a cast of dancers far more experienced, august, not to mention much taller, than she was! If she keeps looking as good as she does now, she also is an obvious candidate for soloist, and a good size to pair with Takahashi and the apparently up-and-coming David Gabriel. That's my assessment, did I leave anyone out?

Are you only considering women? Because Jules Mabie deserves to be promoted now, imo, after seeing him in Symph in 3 and 4T. Just on the basis of those two performances.

David Gabriel was also good in Bourree Fantasque last fall, throwing Alexa Maxwell all over kingdom come.

In terms of promotions, I don't see any of those women being promoted in the immediate future. Talent aside, NYCB has 20 principals and 20 soloists, they don't need to promote dancers. They need to develop them. Still, following your question, I look for corps members who are cast in, and KILLING, their principal role assignments. I enjoy all the dancers you mentioned above, but none of them has yet had as many principal roles as Alexa Maxwell did before her promotion to soloist (The Cage, Copland, Voices, Fancy Free, and I think I'm still forgetting something major). I agree, I thought they could have promoted her and Kikta to soloist a year earlier. I don't mind the prudence with promotions, it's just how it is.

What roles would people want to see India Bradley, MT MacKinnon, Domenika Afanasenkov or Ava Sautter tackle pre-promotion?  Or roles for ANY upcoming woman to prove herself? As Midsummer is approaching, Sautter and Afanasenkov seem like Titania types, but I would cast Kikta before either of them. Generally, I'd want to see success in a variety of Balanchine and Robbins leading roles before promotion to principal. Paradigm shifting success.

I've only seen MT MacKinnon in demi roles, not even true soloist parts. Did I miss them? Olivia MacKinnon had done the 2nd lead in PC2 and Walpurgisnacht (I think?) along with Rondo before getting promoted. Or was Rondo after?

Edited by BalanchineFan
25 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

Are you only considering women? Because Jules Mabie deserves to be promoted now, imo, after seeing him in Symph in 3 and 4T. Just on the basis of those two performances.

David Gabriel was also good in Bourree Fantasque last fall, throwing Alexa Maxwell all over kingdom come.

Yes, I was only considering the women. I certainly agree that Jules Mabie looked wonderful in 4T's, and David Gabriel generally although I haven't seen him in anything featured this season. As to what roles additional for the women, not sure about that, but agree with your idea about a variety of Balanchine and Robbins leading roles. 

3 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

I enjoy all the dancers you mentioned above, but none of them has yet had as many principal roles as Alexa Maxwell did (The Cage, Copland, Voices, Fancy Free, and I think I'm still forgetting something major). I agree, I thought they could have promoted her and Kikta a year earlier. I don't mind the prudence with promotions, it's just how it is.

I agree that Maxwell has had important roles and done well with them. But she is already a soloist and I don't see a promotion to principal coming right now. Certainly not before Kitka, Millar & Von Enck.

I would not object to seeing Sautter and Afanasenkov promoted out of the corps, but on the other hand I would not mind their being held back a couple of years to continue their development.

Alec Knight certainly deserves a promotion to soloist.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Maxwell gets promoted along with Von Enck. She's gotten a lot of debuts lately, many of them in Sterling Hyltin's former rep. I would argue she has a niche to fill with Sterling gone, while Von Enck would be filling more of a Bouder/Fairchild void (I assume both will retire within the next few years). Maxwell is also a height-suitable partner for favored male principals like Huxley, Gordon, Mejia, and the up-and-coming Gabriel. 

I would love to see Kikta and/or Miller promoted, but if it doesn't happen, I think height will be the reason. 

Afanasenkov and Sautter are probably too new for imminent promotions but I expect both to rise through the ranks relatively fast. 

8 minutes ago, abatt said:

They barely used Kikta this winter.  I don't understand it.

There are a few soloists who need to bid a fond farewell,  including Schumacher and LeCrone. 

I’m also baffled about the Kikta underuse. It’s a loss to the audience. 
As for soloist retirements, Pereira should head up that list. Also maybe Sara Adams? Not sure what’s up with Brittany Pollack but she hasn’t danced much for a few years now. I don’t think LeCrone has been dancing this season but if she’s in good form, there are still some roles she covers well (Dark Angel for instance) so she may still have value to the company. 

3 minutes ago, cobweb said:

I’m also baffled about the Kikta underuse. It’s a loss to the audience. 
As for soloist retirements, Pereira should head up that list. Also maybe Sara Adams? Not sure what’s up with Brittany Pollack but she hasn’t danced much for a few years now. I don’t think LeCrone has been dancing this season but if she’s in good form, there are still some roles she covers well (Dark Angel for instance) so she may still have value to the company. 

Brittany Pollock is pregnant with her second child after her brief return post-injury per her instagram. LeCrone has not danced this season, I don't think? 

5 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

Olivia MacKinnon had done the 2nd lead in PC2 and Walpurgisnacht (I think?) along with Rondo before getting promoted. Or was Rondo after?

She did Rondo before she was promoted. Rondo was Winter Season and she was promoted in the spring.

Edited by Fernie M

As many have noted (including myself), where IS Kikta? It’s such a shame for the audience to not see her. I can’t figure out why management wouldn’t use her. She is utterly spectacular. It appears they’re pushing M Miller at this point. Kind of like they were pushing O.McKinnon and Bailey Jones last winter.

E. von Enck is probably the only promotion to Principal. I would be very surprised if they promoted Maxwell.  She certainly is on the right trajectory, but not yet. 

Probably and hopefully Alec Knight to Soloist. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if they promoted India Bradley as well.

As far as other women corps promotions to Soloist… I think all of the above are excellent candidates. None have really shown their stuff in anything more than small featured roles or Demi solos. I think you have to dance in  Balanchine and Robbins “true” Soloist/Principal roles before you make the leap. I also think Collett is in this category. Management seems to like her and is featuring her.

It seems like Mabie and Gabriel are on the Soloist trajectory. I think they need to have a little more seasoning before it happens.

But honestly, what do I know? I’m not the Director.😊

As far as upcoming retirements, and there should be a few, perhaps they didn’t want any farewells to put a damper on the 75th anniversary season.

Edited by Fernie M
3 hours ago, matilda said:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Maxwell gets promoted along with Von Enck. She's gotten a lot of debuts lately, many of them in Sterling Hyltin's former rep. I would argue she has a niche to fill with Sterling gone, while Von Enck would be filling more of a Bouder/Fairchild void (I assume both will retire within the next few years). Maxwell is also a height-suitable partner for favored male principals like Huxley, Gordon, Mejia, and the up-and-coming Gabriel. 

I would love to see Kikta and/or Miller promoted, but if it doesn't happen, I think height will be the reason. 

Afanasenkov and Sautter are probably too new for imminent promotions but I expect both to rise through the ranks relatively fast. 

I agree that Maxwell wouldn't be a surprising promotion, particuarly because, among other things, Justin Peck had her as a 2nd cast lead in his full length Copeland Ballet. She's even gone in with Tiler Peck recently as 1st cast. It's a good sign when the resident choreographer uses you. 

I just wonder if there will be any promotions so soon after the last batch. I agree the those who stated that the soloist ranks have to be cleaned up a bit. There are dancers who rarely perform. Bouder is also an open question.

I so agree with SO many of these wonderful suggestions.  The under-use of Kikta is entirely tragic; entirely at our cost.  From the casting realities it very much looks as if Management has all but promoted the lovely Alexa Maxwell - not without justification.  Emma Von Enck's official thrust forward is, I think, an entire no brainer.  I predict it will come to pass sooner rather than later.  Gabriel has powerhouse placement and is growing into a telling partner.  I so enjoyed Sautter in Evans' telling Landscape but think she still needs a little time to be fair to her.  Think too there is just so, SO much potential in these ranks.  SO refreshing.  M.T. Mackinnon, Afanasenkov, Knight and the punchy delight that is MacGill would certainly get my vote.  

Might I just add Victor Abreu.  I always find his vivid concentration, consistently extraordinary port de bras and truly excellent partnering SHOULD - by equal right - make him an additional shoe-in for the upwards category.  He also has proven himself to be something of a work horse.  

Edited by meunier fan
15 hours ago, matilda said:

I don't see height as EVER being the reason someone is kept in the corps or as a soloist. If they're not too tall to hire, they're not too tall to be promoted. I don't think dancers are ever hired with someone thinking, "oh, corps for life,  no matter how well they start dancing.'

11 hours ago, vipa said:

I agree that Maxwell wouldn't be a surprising promotion, particuarly because, among other things, Justin Peck had her as a 2nd cast lead in his full length Copeland Ballet. She's even gone in with Tiler Peck recently as 1st cast. It's a good sign when the resident choreographer uses you. 

I just wonder if there will be any promotions so soon after the last batch. I agree the those who stated that the soloist ranks have to be cleaned up a bit. There are dancers who rarely perform. Bouder is also an open question.

Alexa Maxwell has had notable debuts in Alexei Ratmansky and Jerome Robbins work as well.

Well we know that in some cases, height / proportions influence who gets promoted and when -- Megan Fairchild has spoken about having risen the ranks fast because at the time, Joaquin de Luz needed a partner of his size. I have zero doubt that Peter Walker got promoted largely because he's very tall, even though he's arguably less talented than his wife, soloist Kikta (nothing against Walker; I actually like his dancing more than some people on this board). So why shouldn't height be a reason dancers are sometimes not promoted to principal? 

Looking at Emily Kikta's rep, she does mostly non-partnering, or minimal-partnering, roles: Choleric, Dewdrop, Rubies tall girl, Lilac Fairy, PC2 soloist, and others. I think there is an obvious reason for this. 

Yes, just because someone's hired into the corps without their height totally precluding their ever being considered for promotion doesn't mean that height won't end up being one (if not the) reason they are or aren't promoted. Promotions happen in the context of the company at a particular time, including the needs and capacities (e.g. potential partners, repertoire) of the upper ranks at that time. 

I find it odd that Maxwell has very limited experience as the lead ballerina in major Balanchine works.  This is their bread and butter, so anyone who moves up to principal must be able to handle those roles.  How much does it really matter that she has been cast as the lead in Peck, Martins and some Robbins.    I would like to see Alexa lead  major Balanchine ballets to test her mettle and see how she does.

I think Alston MacGill should move up to soloist.  This is her time.  She missed years due to injury, and she is blazing in every role they cast her in. 

Edited by abatt
16 hours ago, Fernie M said:

As far as upcoming retirements, and there should be a few, perhaps they didn’t want any farewells to put a damper on the 75th anniversary season.

Or the dancers themselves all want to stay to enjoy the 75th. 
I saw LeCrone onstage in a suit at one of the public events (company class onstage? Or maybe something more recent). She looked very businesslike. I thought she must be injured to show up like that. 

And on height, we just disagree. 

Megan Fairchild may have gotten opportunities because she was a good partner for de Luz. She got promoted because of what she did with those opportunities. 

2 hours ago, abatt said:

I find it odd that Maxwell has very limited experience as the lead ballerina in major Balanchine works.  This is their bread and butter, so anyone who moves up to principal must be able to handle those roles.  How much does it really matter that she has been cast as the lead in Peck, Martins and some Robbins.    I would like to see Alexa lead  major Balanchine ballets to test her mettle and see how she does.

I think Alston MacGill should move up to soloist.  This is her time.  She missed years due to injury, and she is blazing in every role they cast her in. 

Maxwell was blazing in Bourree Fantasque last fall. She lead one of the movements. She’s getting a bunch of debuts now, but in Robbins ballets, The Concert and Opus 19. Maybe they need her acting skills there more than in the Balanchine. She’s ASTOUNDING in Robbins’ work. Worth the price of admission all on her own. 

I included Alexa Maxwell in the discussion as an example of a dancer who had success in multiple principal roles while in the corps. I’m not arguing that she should be a principal tomorrow (though she’d be worthy, imo, I just don’t think management is ready to do that)  

What have you seen Alston MacGill perform lately? I’ve only seen her as Demi in 4T. I know she has a solo in Ballo. Has she done more?

Edited by BalanchineFan

If memory serves, Altson was tapped to lead one of the movements in Symphony in C when the company toured in Paris.  It will be interesting to see if she gets a Symphony in C lead in the Spring season.  

In addition to her Ballo role, she was great in Martins' HJ recently.  

22 minutes ago, abatt said:

If memory serves, Altson was tapped to lead one of the movements in Symphony in C when the company toured in Paris.  It will be interesting to see if she gets a Symphony in C lead in the Spring season.  

Yes, and I think she may have been an apprentice at the time! I would love to see her do that role again. 

33 minutes ago, abatt said:

Yes, she is in the performance of Symphony in C  in Paris that was filmed for PBS' Great Performances (dancing the third movement beautifully, opposite Huxley). I only really know her from that video since I haven't had the opportunity to see her this season, but her performance in that video made a great impression on me. Has she essentially been absent or mostly absent since around that time? I believe injury was mentioned up-thread. 

@abatt, you mentioned Mira Nadon in Scotch Symphony earlier. I didn't see her SAB performance live, but I was thrilled that Lincoln Center released the film of it during the pandemic. I could see why everyone had been raving. She performed like a fully fledged ballerina, not a pre-professional dancer. Riccardo was good, but you could see the contrast between him and Nadon; he was dancing more like an apprentice/student (albeit an extremely promising one). If you can still find the video floating around somewhere, I highly recommend it.