This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2023-2024 Season

I also get the emails, I assume because I went in 2020 because I happened to be in NYC for other reasons that day. I am middle-aged and not a subscriber. The performance I went to was almost completely sold out and lots of people (us included) lingered for a while afterwards to see the art and enjoy the other entertainment. The friend who went with me was very surprised at how much she liked it--she is more of a modern dance fan and it opened her eyes to see that ballet was not necessarily old-fashioned and stuffy--and I don't think she would have bought a ticket at the regular prices. 

I got a brochure in the mail about upcoming premieres and it said that Ratmansky's new ballet will be to the funeral march from Mahler's 1st symphony and the Adagietto from the 5th. Sounds weighty (perhaps he'll be alluding to geopolitical events) but I'm very much looking forward to seeing. 

12 hours ago, matilda said:

I got a brochure in the mail about upcoming premieres and it said that Ratmansky's new ballet will be to the funeral march from Mahler's 1st symphony and the Adagietto from the 5th. Sounds weighty (perhaps he'll be alluding to geopolitical events) but I'm very much looking forward to seeing. 

If you follow Ratmansky on Instagram and Facebook, he seems devastated by the carnage in Ukraine and often posts shots of the bombardments.  I'm glad I have tickets to see the new one and wish I had seen the one he did for PNB, Wartime Elegy. https://www.pnb.org/repertory/wartime-elegy/

Interesting that Symphony in 3 Movements, with its allusions to WWII, is show on the same program. This would be a great time for ABT to revive Tudor's Echoing of Trumpets, his tribute to the Czech town of Lidice that was destroyed by the Nazis in 1942. It was shown by Colorado Ballet in 2010 by McKerrow and Gardner, who now work for ABT. It would work for the State Theatre this fall. 

https://www.antonytudor.org/ballets/echoing-of-trumpets

Edited by California

It will be interesting to see how Ratmansky deals with those pieces of music, which are very slow and not emphatically rhythmic. When choreographing Wartime Elegy he decided to use not only Silvestrov, as originally intended, but added some archival dance music to speed things up a bit. It's difficult to imagine a Ratmansky ballet without allegro.

The "Funeral march" is ironic and has some dances in it and odd changes of tempi, so it would seem to give Ratmansky some room to play in. The Adagietto is what people who don't like Mahler like, and I never look forward to it. Klaus Tennstedt said something like it was a bit too sweet perhaps, but it gives the audience a moment to "elax" a bit. But as main fare?

I was excited to see Ava Sautter's name in Four Seasons until I realized it's just that role where she sweeps on and regally waves her arms around. Still, this is good exposure for her. Glad to see Cainan Weber getting a big opportunity in Winter -- he deserves it! Also will be interested to see Olivia MacKinnon in Spring -- she definitely cannot wear her frequent worried expression in this one! And what on earth is going on with another guest artist!!! I just don't get this trend AT ALL. 

55 minutes ago, cobweb said:

I was excited to see Ava Sautter's name in Four Seasons until I realized it's just that role where she sweeps on and regally waves her arms around. Still, this is good exposure for her. Glad to see Cainan Weber getting a big opportunity in Winter -- he deserves it! Also will be interested to see Olivia MacKinnon in Spring -- she definitely cannot wear her frequent worried expression in this one! And what on earth is going on with another guest artist!!! I just don't get this trend AT ALL. 

The guest artist plan was announced months ago as part of the celebration for the 75th anniversary year.  It does not seem at all related to the performance of current company members.  
2023-11-28_NYCB_75th_Anniversary_Guest_A

11 hours ago, KikiRVA said:

The guest artist plan was announced months ago as part of the celebration for the 75th anniversary year.  It does not seem at all related to the performance of current company members.  
2023-11-28_NYCB_75th_Anniversary_Guest_A

Thanks for the info. I can't access the link/embedded pic, but it's good to know it's just for the anniversary year. Presumably that means it's not going to continue. 

2 hours ago, cobweb said:

Thanks for the info. I can't access the link/embedded pic, but it's good to know it's just for the anniversary year. Presumably that means it's not going to continue. 

There were also multiple guest artists for the 1993 Balanchine Celebration, and I don't recall any in the following years--I remember Elizabeth Loscavio from SFB, Darcey Bussell from the Royal Ballet, Patricia Barker from PNB, and I think there were others. I think this is just something NYCB does to celebrate.

Jeremy Collins from ABT, Isabelle Guerin from POB, Zhana Apuyova from the Mariinsky Ballet, Viviana Durante from the Royal Ballet, and Ronald Perry from DTH were also guests for “Dinner with Balanchine.”

I was there, and I don’t remember Jaffe at all.  But the only performances in Western Symphony I remember are the Leclercq and d’Amboise film excerpt from the Balanchine doc and Stephanie Saland in the second movement, also on film.

7 minutes ago, Helene said:

I was there, and I don’t remember Jaffe at all.  But the only performances in Western Symphony I remember are the Leclercq and d’Amboise film excerpt from the Balanchine doc and Stephanie Saland in the second movement, also on film.

There was at one time (and may still be) a video on YouTube of Susan Jaffe and Nikolaj Hübbe performing the final movement. 

ETA: Yes, here it is:

Edited by nanushka

All very interesting. My history with NYCB does not go back that far and I didn’t know that having guests was a special-occasion thing. I’m glad to know it’s temporary and not a new trend. I also don’t understand it with dancers who perform regularly in NYC. If I want to see Gillian Murphy and Aran Bell, I know where to go. 

The thing about the Murphy Bell performance is that Other Dances was created on and will forever be associated with Makarova and Baryshnikov, who both had significant relationships with ABT.  So on some level it makes sense that they would have 2 ABT dancers perform this work at NYCB.  Actually, I'm excited to see Bell in this work.   However, I think the age difference here  between Murphy and Bell is not ideal. 

2 hours ago, Helene said:

But the only performances in Western Symphony I remember are the Leclercq and d’Amboise film excerpt from the Balanchine doc and Stephanie Saland in the second movement, also on film.

My memories of the films with Le Clercq, Alexopoulos (Dance in America) and Jaffe are very strong, so the next time around when I saw the ballet with a young Sara Mearns in the rondo, the breakneck tempo just about gave me whiplash. At that point I thought that NYCB's quest for speed had gone too far. 

Other Dances  premiered at ABT (5/9/76) with the original cast of Baryshnikov and Makarova before it premiered at NYCB 6 months later  (11/26/76) with Martins and Farrell, and it has been showing up in the ABT rep periodically since. Gillian Murphy and Marcelo Gomes danced it in an ABT performance I saw a while back at the Fisher Center. As long as the dancers are capable of their roles, I think it's nice to have other companies participate in the NYCB 75th anniversary celebration.