This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2022 Summer promotions

I didn't attend any of the recent Met performances, so have not seen Sun Mi Park live. However, I remember her vividly as a top (most heavily featured) member of the ABT Studio Company in last summer's June 2021 virtual Spring Festival. Wow! Sun Mi Park truly impressed me in three numbers for various qualities:

1. Lyricism - beautifully lyrical dancer in the pdd from Ratmansky's Seven Sonata (with equally fantastic Cy Doherty)...introduced and coached by Stella Abrera, a mentor of sorts...Park looked like a perfect future Giselle during that pdd!;

2. Impeccable terre-a-terre tech and batterie - Bournonville's uber-difficult Kermesse in Bruges pdd (with zippy Jake Roxander); and

3. Outstanding among seven dancers in Jessica Lang's Children's Songs Dance, to Chick Corea's score.

This doesn't mean that others may not have been similarly worthy of promotion to soloist level...but I totally see the rationale with Ms. Park. I'm thrilled that she did not have to wait ten years for this.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, sometimes, dancers join a lower rank - be it Studio Co or Apprentice or even Corps in the main company - with the pre-understanding that s/he will be promoted to a certain level within a short period of time. I'm not saying that this is what happened with Park but let's not forget the cases of Irina Dvorovenko at ABT (former prima in Kiev, later joining ABT at a low rank but with an understanding that she'd be principal eventually) and Kimin Kim at the Mariinsky - joining as trainee and totally sponsored (salary covered) by a wealthy donor (Mr. Takahashi - clearly stated on the Mariinsky website).

Misseldine, Hurlin, Park...all future Nikiyas, Gamzattis, O/Os, Giselles, Myrtas...or even Princess Pralines!

Edited by Roberta
clarity
4 hours ago, Roberta said:

I recall an amazing ABT Facebook post a while ago, featuring Sun Mi Park rehearsing Kitri in Don Q pdd's balances. OMG! Just found the link. Hope it works:

Facebook Watch

Likewise was blown away by the maturity of Park’s performance in Seven Sonatas, which was recorded and is available on YouTube.

I hope in September, Magbitang is bumped up from apprentice to corps member. After watching the clip tutu posted, my feed highlighted this video of Magbitang and Yamada, both current apprentices but filmed last year when in the Studio Co. I thought he was amazing this season, and in Flames of Paris it's clear he's a major talent. Yamada is as well. I'd love to see him be cast as The Boy in Whipped Cream.

2 hours ago, AB'sMom said:

ABT Studio Company sure seems to have impressive dancers. A dancer everyone was raving about at Royal Ballet School’s year-end production, Takumi Miyake, is coming to the Studio Company next year.

Everyone is always talking about Misty. She hasn’t performed since 2018, she just had a baby and she is 40 years old. She won’t be back, IMO. 

9 hours ago, Becki Lee said:

Misty did perform in 2019 (Spring, Fall, and Nutcracker). 

Also, 39. 

Yes,  Misty celebrates her 40th b'day on Sept 10, 2022! 🥳

Even though she isn't slated to dance in ABT's Fall '22 season at the Koch, I hope that she might still make an appearance in the new ballet LIFTED - maybe as a narrator or a special walk-on cameo? 

5 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

How interesting that it was Ratmansky who brought him over. I should send him a thank you note. 😊

Ratmansky does have an eye for talent! Long ago, he plucked then-little-known Natalia Osipova out of the crowd. I'm glad he seems to like Aran Bell. 

On 7/20/2022 at 2:25 PM, California said:

Ratmansky does have an eye for talent! Long ago, he plucked then-little-known Natalia Osipova out of the crowd. I'm glad he seems to like Aran Bell. 

A cute anecdote, maybe, California. Around the same time I’d been reading about the still somewhat unknown Natalia Osipova. I was at a performance where she had a very secondary segment, but was she good !  I let out an enthusiastic ‘applause’ and the famous lead ballerina, left unnamed, sneaked a look over in my direction with a huge “What!” sort of expression on her face.

Edited by Buddy

According to StudioCo instagram here is the following promotions. 

Elisabeth Beyer (yay!), Tillie Glatz, Yuma Matsuura and Aleisha Walker are joining the company as apprentices. 

and Maddie Brown, Finial Carmechi, Kayke Carvalho, Yeonseo Choi (She's only 16 and was a finalist at the 22 prix and her lilac fairy solo was great), Kyra Coco, Brady Farrar (wow, I've been following him since he won the hope award at YAGP), Ayami Goto, Takumi Mayake (just graduated from Royal Ballet School, danced the lead in Raymonda at their grad show VERY talented according to those who saw the performance), Vince Pelegrin, Sylvie Squires, Alejandro Valero Outlaw. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ch5bfIIvG5j/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ch5bOwYvUNU/

On 8/30/2022 at 3:54 PM, balletlover08 said:

According to StudioCo instagram here is the following promotions. 

Elisabeth Beyer (yay!), Tillie Glatz, Yuma Matsuura and Aleisha Walker are joining the company as apprentices. 

and Maddie Brown, Finial Carmechi, Kayke Carvalho, Yeonseo Choi (She's only 16 and was a finalist at the 22 prix and her lilac fairy solo was great), Kyra Coco, Brady Farrar (wow, I've been following him since he won the hope award at YAGP), Ayami Goto, Takumi Mayake (just graduated from Royal Ballet School, danced the lead in Raymonda at their grad show VERY talented according to those who saw the performance), Vince Pelegrin, Sylvie Squires, Alejandro Valero Outlaw. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ch5bfIIvG5j/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ch5bOwYvUNU/

The 2022-23 roster is out.All of last season’s apprentices have been promoted to the Corps de ballet. With the new apprentices,there are more than 90 dancers in the company. The most for a number of years now. Excited for all the talented newcomers. Hoping they make use of them.

OK.

This is the first that I’ve ever heard of or seen her, but —

Wow !

Elisabeth Beyer

ABT Studio Company  [Correction: She is now an ABT (main company) Apprentice according to the previous post by balletlover08 -- Congratulations ! ]

I'm not sure where else to post this, but here might work and in fact be rather prophetic.

Edited by Buddy
Correction made
1 hour ago, Buddy said:

OK.

This is the first that I’ve ever heard of or seen her, but —

Wow !

Elisabeth Beyer

ABT Studio Company  [Correction: She is now an ABT (main company) Apprentice according to the previous post by balletlover08 -- Congratulations ! ]

I'm not sure where else to post this, but here might work and in fact be rather prophetic.

WOW, Buddy!!!! Thanks for posting! I couldn't take my eyes off her.

Re Roster:

I no longer see April Giangeruso's name on ABT's website. She never officially announced any retirement plans, but I remember an Instagram post near the end of the Met summer season showing a solitary bouquet of flowers. It was very vague, but I wondered at the time if she was alluding to leaving the company. April is the founder of a dancewear and activewear company called Chameleon, which she is very involved in. She also got married a few years ago and has a young toddler. So, I'm sure she has other priorities now. But I always liked her dancing and will miss her.