This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB at SPAC 2021

NYCB will officially be having a presence at SPAC this summer from July 14-17. :clapping:

As reported in this article from the Daily Gazette (https://dailygazette.com/2021/04/19/new-york-city-ballet-returning-to-spac-on-smaller-scale/),  there will be six shows of two programs of excerpts, All Balanchine (4Ts, Agon, Jewels, Who Cares?), hosted by Gonzalo Garcia, and Short Stories (Firebird, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake, Western Symphony, Fancy Free, and The Concert) hosted by Maria Kowroski.  There will be only 15 dancer participating, with music by NYCB pianists. The shows will be 75 minutes long, no intermissions, with about 40 minutes of dancing and 35 minutes of discussion/insights.

Tickets go on sale for members on 5/3 and for nonmembers on 5/10. They will be for designated pods of two in the amphitheater and for pods of 2 or 4 on the lawn. No information yet about pricing.

The Times Union has also now published on this ( https://www.timesunion.com/entrepreneur/article/City-Ballet-returning-to-SPAC-in-smaller-form-for-16112500.php?IPID=Times-Union-HP-CP-Spotlight) with some additional information:  

Amphitheater seats, in socially distanced pods of two, will cost $80; pods within designated areas on the lawn are $60 for two people, $120 for four. Single tickets will be extremely limited and available starting at $40 for the amphitheater, $30 for the lawn, SPAC said. If not sold out, tickets will be on sale on the day of a performance, subject to an additional fee.

All attendees are required to show proof of a completed vaccination at least 14 days prior to the event or a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours. Health questionnaires and temperature checks prior to entry are also mandatory, and face coverings must be worn at all times, regardless of proof of vaccination or negative test. Patrons may bring factory-sealed water bottles and essential personal items only. Restrooms will be available with social distancing and enhanced cleaning and sanitation protocols in place, in accordance with recommended state and federal guidelines, SPAC said.

Also, it wasn't there earlier this morning, but the SPAC website has been updated with information about these performances. 

I'm glad they're accepting a negative test and not just vaccine proof.  Especially considering it's outside... socially distance...with masks, honestly that's overkill, there's no risk if you're not near anyone outside.  But I know this will make people feel better (I'm not one of those people, ha!  But I understand not everyone thinks like I do).

56 minutes ago, canbelto said:

IMO they should accept vaccine proof. By the summer everyone who wants a vaccine should be able to get one. Vaccines are also easier to check for because of the CDC cards.

They are, but as an alternative you can show a negative test.  I already bought my fall tickets, so I'm glad to see this because I will not be getting the vaccine.  

4 minutes ago, Balletwannabe said:

They are, but as an alternative you can show a negative test.  I already bought my fall tickets, so I'm glad to see this because I will not be getting the vaccine.  

I'm wondering what they will do for fall. I have both Moderna shots, but I understand the CDC cards we have are easily forged. My state (Colorado) doesn't seem eager to set up a validation system like New York's (which I  gather has some problems anyway).

I believe they are selling regular subscriptions for fall. Are they trying to do spacing in that theater? Anybody know yet? That first week looks very tempting -- especially the opening night, which I suspect will be a great celebration and an event to remember, no matter what they perform. 

On 4/21/2021 at 2:24 AM, Balletwannabe said:

.with masks, honestly that's overkill, there's no risk if you're not near anyone outside.

People will be near each other, though, waiting in line, in the parking lot together getting stuff out of their car, going to the restrooms which almost always involves lines.  There will also be mixed pods of people who are vaccinated and those who aren't who will a long period in close proximity.  Today's NYT newsletter discusses outdoor mask-wearing:

There are still important precautions to take, ones that are much more based in science than universal mask wearing. Unvaccinated people should wear masks when in close conversation with people outside their family — even outdoors — and should almost always wear a mask when indoors and not at home. Vaccinated people should continue to wear a mask in many indoor situations, to help contribute to a culture of mask wearing. It’s the decent thing to do when more than half of Americans still are not vaccinated.

54 minutes ago, Balletwannabe said:

I'd like the choice of wearing it when I'm 6ft apart, outside, sitting next to someone from my own household.  

As we've all learned over the past year, though, we don't wear masks only for ourselves, but for others.

This is especially important for the unvaccinated. A negative test really only reflects one's status at the moment when the test was taken. That status could have changed within the (up to) 72 hours between testing and attendance.

On 4/21/2021 at 5:24 AM, Balletwannabe said:

I'm glad they're accepting a negative test and not just vaccine proof.  Especially considering it's outside... socially distance...with masks, honestly that's overkill, there's no risk if you're not near anyone outside.  But I know this will make people feel better (I'm not one of those people, ha!  But I understand not everyone thinks like I do).

My friends thought that too.

They got Covid from mingling with people unmasked outside. The new variants (prevalent in NY now) are much more contagious.

I think that these rules are likely to come from the NYS guidelines for large entertainment venues. I am personally fine with these requirements--in fact, I appreciate them, but I am higher risk and still being fairly careful even though vaccinated. Also, if you are not local to the Saratoga area, you may not be aware that the exposure risk in the NYS Capital Region is currently very high.

Jacob's Pillow and Tanglewood have similar mask requirement for this summer, so I think this is likely to be common to arts venues in the northeast.

The bigger problem is likely to be the difficulty in obtaining tickets with the reduced capacity--Glimmerglass is already pretty much sold out for the summer. I just hope I can get NYCB tickets, preferably for each of the two programs.

There are many jobs where masks are worn for countless hours at a time such as doctors, nurses, grocery workers.  If they are able to deal with wearing a mask for long durations, it really should not be an issue for us to mask up for a couple of hours in order to do our part to keep others safe.

The SPAC website's description of its Covid19 protocols says, "... all attendees are required to show proof of a completed vaccination no sooner than 14 days prior to the event or a negative 72-hour COVID-19 test".  Surely that's a mistake.  I hope they meant, "no later than 14 days prior"?

13 minutes ago, Caesariatus said:

The SPAC website's description of its Covid19 protocols says, "... all attendees are required to show proof of a completed vaccination no sooner than 14 days prior to the event or a negative 72-hour COVID-19 test".  Surely that's a mistake.  I hope they meant, "no later than 14 days prior"?

You're not considered fully vaccinated until 14 days after your last shot.  (The number of weeks vary by vaccine, although two weeks may be true for all vaccines currently administered in the US.)  That is why you can't show proof of full vaccination any time sooner than 14 days.  Within 14 days means you are still waiting to be fully vaccinated.

While the CDC has changed its advice with regard to masking policy for small, outdoor gatherings, they have not changed masking policy for large outdoor gatherings for live events, regardless of the seating scheme.  

16 minutes ago, Helene said:

You're not considered fully vaccinated until 14 days after your last shot.  (The number of weeks vary by vaccine, although two weeks may be true for all vaccines currently administered in the US.)  That is why you can't show proof of full vaccination any time sooner than 14 days.  Within 14 days means you are still waiting to be fully vaccinated.

But I think that's why it should say "no later" rather than "no sooner." If the performance is on July 14, the completed vaccination would need to be June 30, no later. Sooner than that would be fine, wouldn't it?

7 minutes ago, nanushka said:

But I think that's why it should say "no later" rather than "no sooner." If the performance is on July 14, the completed vaccination would need to be June 30, no later. Sooner than that would be fine, wouldn't it?

I think they're using "sooner" to meaning within the 14 days, as in the last shot on July 10 would be too soon

14 minutes ago, Helene said:

I think they're using "sooner" to meaning within the 14 days, as in the last shot on July 10 would be too soon

I think a confusion of reference (i.e. in relation to time of writing, not date of performance) is the cause of the mistake — and I'm pretty sure their usage is unidiomatic as a result. ("Soon" doesn't mean "near." One would say a July 10 shot is too late, not too early or too soon. In fact, a shot "sooner than July 10" would be preferable — one needs to get the shot sooner than July 10 in order to be fully vaccinated by July 14.)

Edited by nanushka
4 minutes ago, canbelto said:

I think they mean a vaccine greater than 14 days prior (fully vaccinated). 

I think moving forward proof of vaccination will become the standard requirement to attend indoor gatherings. Laminate your CDC cards!

You’re right, that’s what they meant. 

Annoyingly, they misspelled my name, and instead of issuing me a new card when I pointed it out on my second visit they just rewrote over the first one, so my card looks kinda sketchy! I wish there were a better verification system in place.

11 hours ago, nanushka said:

You’re right, that’s what they meant. 

Annoyingly, they misspelled my name, and instead of issuing me a new card when I pointed it out on my second visit they just rewrote over the first one, so my card looks kinda sketchy! I wish there were a better verification system in place.

Each state keeps a registry.  I imagine that is what will be used in the future to verify since the cards are so ephemeral.

17 hours ago, nanushka said:

If you're a NYS resident and got vaccinated in NY, you could use the Excelsior pass app (I have gotten it myself, at least not yet).