This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2021: Free Streaming during COVID-19 Crisis

Here's most of the press release from Ballet West about free online winter streaming, with emphasis in green, mine, in anticipation of the opener, The Green Table:

Salt Lake City, UT— This week, Ballet West launches Winter Streaming: The Best of Ballet West, a six-week series of archival ballets edited and uploaded free of charge to Ballet West’s social media platforms. The first curated ballet will be Kurt Jooss’ groundbreaking work, The Green Table. The ballet depicts the futility of peace negotiations during World War I. Premiering in France in 1932, Ballet West first performed it on April 7, 2017 to high acclaim. One critic said, “The Green Table by Ballet West is a masterpiece, I cannot imagine a more timely and needed message.”

“I have selected ballets that show the diversity of repertoire and talent of our dancers for this series,” said Artistic Director Adam Sklute. “These works mean so much to me, and to our Company, and I am happy to share them free of charge. Perhaps by doing so, we cultivate future ballet patrons and inspire young dancers. It is exciting, in this era of stay-at-home-performing-arts, that we are reaching new and diverse audiences.”

Each week’s release will be accompanied by a Director’s Pointe from Sklute, and the ballet will be uploaded at 4pm EST every Friday on Facebook and YouTube. The performance will be available for one week.

SCHEDULE | WINTER STREAMING: THE BEST OF BALLET WEST

January 26           Director's Pointe, The Green Table
January 29           Kurt Jooss’ The Green Table 
A powerful study of the tragedy and futility of war.

February 2           Director’s Pointe, George Balanchine Emeralds
February 5           George Balanchine’s Emeralds
Jewels is George Balanchine’s masterpiece with three works that show the true beauty and dynamism of the Company. Emeralds is a sublime glimpse of French mystery, Rubies is an American athletic explosion, and the performance ends with the grand-scale Russian pageantry of Diamonds.

February 9           Director’s Pointe, Val Caniparoli’s Dances for Lou
February 12        Val Caniparoli’s Dances for Lou
Powerful, athletic, and hypnotic, inspired by Lou Harrison’s “Concerto For Pipa and String Orchestra.”

February 16        Director’s Pointe, George Balanchine’s Rubies
February 19        George Balanchine’s Rubies

February 23        Director’s Pointe, Garrett Smith’s Facades
February 26        Garrett Smith’s Facades
Utah native choreographer Garrett Smith’s fascinating and innovative look at self-awareness through a Baroque eye.

March 2                Director’s Pointe, George Balanchine’s Diamonds
March 5                George Balanchine’s Diamonds 

Taylor Stanley from NYCB is going to be featured in an Inside the Pillow Lab" on February 18th. More information here: https://www.jacobspillow.org/events/inside-the-pillow-lab-taylor-stanley/

Links to information for other "Inside the Pillow Lab" presentations, both past and future, can be found here: https://www.jacobspillow.org/programs/opportunities-for-artists/pillow-lab/

Mentioned earlier, La Scala's Giselle is now streaming, with different leads in each act. Available by logging into the Rai Play site.

https://www.raiplay.it/programmi/giselleteatroallascala

Digital program

https://www.teatroallascala.org/includes/booklets/2021-01-30_Giselle/mobile/index.html

Edited by volcanohunter

Something to add to the calendar...

The La Jolla Music Society will livestream Joffrey Ballet's Under The Trees' Voices by Nicolas Blanc [FREE]
Friday, April 30th, 2021 at 5pm PST

https://ljms.org/events/joffery-ballet/

'Experience a “window into the Joffrey,” as cameras livestream the rehearsal process of Under the Trees’ Voices choreographed by Joffrey Rehearsal Director Nicolas Blanc on March 3 and April 7. Set to Symphony No. 2 by Italian composer Ezio Bosso, Under the Trees’ Voices channels the power of community in the age of social distancing. In four distinct sections, Blanc imagines a future of hope and unity.  

This live stream is free to the public and will be available to view on-demand until May 7, 2021.

Subscribe to 3 or more spring streaming events and gain access to two exclusive zoom chats!'

JOFFREY BALLET
Live moderated conversation with Ashley Wheater MBE, artistic director and Nicolas Blanc, choreographer
Wednesday, March 3 at 2pm

Edited by pherank

The Alvin Ailey Dance Theater performs Revelations at Lincoln Center (Lincoln Center @ Home):

http://lincolncenter.org/lincoln-center-at-home/show/revelations-517

'Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater is celebrating six decades of “Revelations,“ a choreographic masterpiece that has become a lasting cultural treasure beloved by generations. Watch the company’s full performance from the 2015 Lincoln Center at the Movies production!

The piece, which premiered in 1960, pays homage to and reflects African-American cultural heritage, which Ailey considered one of America’s richest treasures – “sometimes sorrowful, sometimes jubilant, but always hopeful.“'

Edited by pherank

The Baryshnikov Arts Center has several months of free digital presentations lined up for Spring 2021. Each presentation will be available for two weeks.

Up first is Bijayini Satpathy, a leading exponent of classical South Asian dance.

"Classical Indian dancer Bijayini Satpathy’s first choreographic endeavor, Vibhanga, is a non-narrative solo set to a reimagined traditional South Indian music score. Drawing from the curvilinear tendencies of the Odissi dance form and influenced by explorations of rhythm, the work reveals the layered complexities of the classical movement technique."

Per Mark Morris: “She’s easily among the top five dancers I’ve ever seen in my lifetime.”

If you aren't familiar with Odissi dance, a Bijayini Satpathy performance is a good place to start. The video comes down at 5PM on February 15, 2021.

The work itself is 14 minutes long and starts at the video's 6 minute mark. (The video begins with some introductory comments by Satpathy.)

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell

"Atlanta Ballet will present Silver Linings – the Company’s newest choreographic initiative featuring a variety of original pieces created by Atlanta Ballet dancers on Atlanta Ballet dancers February 12 and March 19, 2021. These two events will be livestreamed to the public at 8pm via the Rialto Center for the Arts' Facebook channel."

https://www.facebook.com/RialtoCenter/

From NYCB's New York Choreographic Institute, three new dances on film choreographed by NYCB Dancers Eliza Blutt, Preston Chamblee, and Claire Kretzschmar:

"For 20 years, the New York Choreographic Institute has cultivated a global community of choreographers committed to evolving classical ballet for the 21st Century. Responding to the challenges of this unprecedented year, this past Fall Session focused on talent from within NYCB - bringing together 22 dancers to work collaboratively over a two-week bubble residency at Martha's Vineyard.

With strict Covid-mitigation protocols in place, emerging choreographers and NYCB Dancers Eliza Blutt, Preston Chamblee, and Claire Kretzschmar had the space to create three original ballets on film with a group of their peers."

So far, I've only been able to watch Kretzschmar's ballet, which is set to Rachmaninoff's Variations on a Theme of Chopin. I liked it a lot—better than many of the trifles that have been thrust at us during the company's annual fashion gala, frankly—and I hope NYCB gives her more opportunities to choreograph.