abatt

Finlay Resigns, Catazaro and Ramasar Suspended -- Update: Catazaro and Ramasar Fired

3 minutes ago, atm711 said:

SO WHAT!! if she wasn't a member of the Company-----she was a STUDENT which makes the accusations far worse....

Was she a student when she started dating Finlay?

4 minutes ago, FPF said:

I thought that it looked as though the statement related NYCB to both roles and that the sentence could have perhaps been worded more clearly by her lawyer.

Yes, "dancer and former student at NYCB" can mean either "[dancer] and [former student at NYCB]" or "[dancer and former student] at NYCB."

I haven't read the full complaint,  but it's quite possible that in the fuller context it's perfectly clear that the former, not the latter, is what was meant.

Edited by nanushka

9 minutes ago, bcash said:

Was she a student when she started dating Finlay?

I think not. I believe that she graduated a year before their relationship began. But the complaint also suggests that male dancers were "grooming" the female students. She graduated in 2016 and the relationship began in 2017.

Edited by FPF
more införmation

1 hour ago, KayDenmark said:

Finlay needs someone with expertise in this type of situation to deal with the allegations - although to be quite frank, I don't know how much he is really the target of the suit. He's not the one with deep pockets. 

It's true, but he may have significant assets (at least compared to your average person who works in the arts). He was promoted to principal 6 years ago, I believe, so depending on how he's spent his salary, he may have some considerable savings. Also, I seem to recall from a video -- I believe it was the AOL series rather than a NYCB-produced video -- that Finlay appears to be from an affluent family in Connecticut, so he may have some family money, as well, if any of it has been gifted to him.

Also, based on the address given in the complaint, Finlay lives in a co-op building in an expensive neighborhood. One website lists the average cost of an apartment in that building as $1,456 per square foot. He could be subletting, but if he owns the apartment, that's another asset. But I don't know if real estate is something that would be up for grabs in a civil suit. 

But I agree that NYCB is probably of more interest in terms of money, though it's also probably the greater reach in terms of actually proving they were responsible. 

Edited by fondoffouettes

2 hours ago, KayDenmark said:

That's a very good point, Bcash. I'm not sure she's even interested in a dance career at this point. 

There is more than one kind of dance career, and part-time freelancer is one of them.  Simply because she has other irons in the fire does not mean that she's given up on dance.  Even if she wanted a full-time dance career, there's the example of Sarah Orza, who gave up ballet when she left NYCB in the 00's, joined Pacific Northwest Ballet, restarted her career, and is now a Principal Dancer.  NYCB is not the only dance option in the world that somehow counts.

6 hours ago, Ashton Fan said:

I assume that as the complainant has decided to take civil action against the three named men and the company she only has to prove the truth of her allegations on the balance of probabilities ?

She's taken civil action against one man, Chase Findlay, who was the source of the photographs.  Her lawyer sent text and email communications to NYCB, which investigated and suspended two of the dancers who were recipients and involved in the conversations, but who are not named in the lawsuit.  Findlay resigned when confronted and before they could take action.

While it is true that the bar for civil suits is lower than for criminal suits, based on what has been disclosed so far, she has no criminal allegations against anyone but Findlay, and she has not decided whether to pursue them.  I wouldn't blame her for not pursuing criminal charges: in a highly publicized case, a judge determined that a valid sentence for a rapist who was witnessed in the act of rape was too harsh and could ruin the rapist's brilliant future.  But it's a good card for her lawyer to have in his back pocket.

@Kaysta:  congratulations and good luck with your new job and house!

5 minutes ago, Helene said:

There is more than one kind of dance career, and part-time freelancer is one of them.  Simply because she has other irons in the fire does not mean that she's given up on dance.  Even if she wanted a full-time dance career, there's the example of Sarah Orza, who gave up ballet when she left NYCB in the 00's, joined Pacific Northwest Ballet, restarted her career, and is now a Principal Dancer.  NYCB is not the only dance option in the world that somehow counts.

From what I saw online, Waterbury seems to be involved with the Barnard dance department. I don't know a lot about their dance department beyond the fact that Allegra Kent teaches there. 

Edited by fondoffouettes

Earlier in the thread I had mentioned the hotel room in DC as having $150,000 in damages, which seemed like an absurdly high amount. Rereading the complaint I see that it actually says:

Likewise, on a recent trip to Washington D.C., several members of defendant NEW YORK CITY BALLET, INC., including, but not limited to, defendant CHASE FINLAY were fined over $150,000 for destroying a hotel room at a party they hosted with underage girls to whom they provided and plied with drugs and alcohol.

Just now, AB'sMom said:

Earlier in the thread I had mentioned the hotel room in DC as having $150,000 in damages, which seemed like an absurdly high amount. Rereading the complaint I see that it actually says:

Likewise, on a recent trip to Washington D.C., several members of defendant NEW YORK CITY BALLET, INC., including, but not limited to, defendant CHASE FINLAY were fined over $150,000 for destroying a hotel room at a party they hosted with underage girls to whom they provided and plied with drugs and alcohol.

Company paid for room, correct?  On company tour?  So how exactly, does an incident like this not result in immediate suspension, at the very least?  

6 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

From what I saw online, Waterbury seems to be involved with the Barnard dance department. I don't know a lot about their dance department beyond the fact that Allegra Kent teaches there. 

It's actually a pretty impressive dance department, as you would expect in NYC, with so many outstanding people available to teach part-time:

https://dance.barnard.edu/

JuliaJ beat me to it :)

There are also dancers who dance while in college and later pursue full-time dance careers, like Lauren Fadeley (Pennsylvania Ballet, Miami City Ballet) and Alison DeBona (Ballet West). 

2 minutes ago, Balletwannabe said:

Company paid for room, correct?  On company tour?  So how exactly, does an incident like this not result in immediate suspension, at the very least?  

That is my impression, yes. 

15 minutes ago, JuliaJ said:

She's part of the student-run Columbia Ballet Collaborative: http://www.columbiaballetcollaborative.com/dancers.html

It's commonplace for people with prior dance experience and continuing interest in dance to join CBC once they become affiliated with any of Columbia's schools. With so many professional dance groups active in NYC, I've never been to their year-end performances, despite being a dance lover and living close by.

Edited by bcash

53 minutes ago, gigi said:

I think it speaks volumes about NYCB and their respect for women that they chose to paint Alexandra as someone looking for a "payout."  The nature of her requests in the document for injunctive relief and other consideration seem reasonable considering there has been damage done to her career and mental health. 

By the time she started dating Finlay, I believe she was not working for NYCB nor was she a student at SAB. I don’t think NYCB has any kind of responsibility for her at that point. 

I think the unnamed NYCB dancers who have had their photos shared would have a stronger case. I hope they find the courage to come forward. I don’t think Waterbury can sue on their behalf. 

20 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

Barnard's Dance Department has a long tradition of absorbing members of NYC's professional dance community, as teachers, students, resident artists or some other capacity. 

2 minutes ago, yukionna4869 said:

By the time she started dating Finlay, I believe she was not working for NYCB nor was she a student at SAB. I don’t think NYCB has any kind of responsibility for her at that point. 

I think the unnamed NYCB dancers who have had their photos shared would have a stronger case. I hope they find the courage to come forward. I don’t think Waterbury can sue on their behalf. 

Of course. I wonder if they knew anything about this prior to this complaint becoming public. If not, I can only imagine the suspicion hanging in everyone's mind being very distracting in their day-to-day professional activities, at least for the short-term. 

Women sue fraternities on similar grounds, even though they aren’t members of the fraternity. 

30 minutes ago, yukionna4869 said:

2 minutes ago, AB'sMom said:

Women sue fraternities on similar grounds, even though they aren’t members of the fraternity. 

Yes, just because she was no longer affiliated with NYCB doesn't necessarily mean that the organization is no longer responsible for what happens to her.

The NY Post article is misleading.  Just because David Prottas went on for one performance of Carousel doesn't mean that Ramasar has been "replaced".  Understudies go on in principal roles on Broadway all the time,  because of illness,  injury or personal circumstances.  Ramasar may prefer to lay low for a few days and the show's producers probably think that's a good idea. 

Just now, On Pointe said:

The NY Post article is misleading.  Just because David Prottas went on for one performance of Carousel doesn't mean that Ramasar has been "replaced".

It depends what "cast list" is being referred to. Was it a list of performers for that one evening, or a list of performers in the show generally?

22 hours ago, Helene said:

They are far more than rumors: they are the substance of a legal complaint. 

Yes but even in the legal complaint those instances of alleged domestic violence are described as "claims" with nothing substantiated.

20 hours ago, rkoretzky said:

Yes hopefully. I’m not feeling too trusting. There are allegations against a donor, a board member and a principal dancer who allegedly committed rape. These need to be addressed as well, at least for me to regain my confidence in NYCB. 

There have been no allegations against any board members.  

39 minutes ago, nanushka said:

It depends what "cast list" is being referred to. Was it a list of performers for that one evening, or a list of performers in the show generally?

When an understudy goes on,  union rules require his or her name to be posted in the lobby and/or announced at the start of the performance.