This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Krohn Retiring On Oct 7, 2017

28 minutes ago, CTballetfan said:

Just received a lovely email from NYCB announcing her retirement and final performance in October. So nice that she will stay with the company as a ballet mistress.

She is not one of the NYC ballet's much talked about principals like, T. Peck, Mearns etc. but what a high quality dancer, who brings great intelligence to her work. I admit I never sought her out in casting, but when I saw her name I knew I'd get an honest and beautiful performance, particularly in Balanchine and Ratmansky works. I am so happy she will be coaching others. It is kind of wonderful how many teachers in the school, and coaches in the company are former NYCB members.

So sorry to be reading this. Loved her in many ballets, especially in Namouna (title role). My first thought was that she is way too young to retire but, no, she graduated SAB in 1998 - almost 20 years ago. Yikes, time flies! She participated in the memorable joint performance by SAB and Vaganova Academy students at BAM around Jan or Feb 1998.

With Scheller gone, and Krohn imminently retiring, can we expect one or more promotions to principal during the coming season?   Of the ladies, I think Ashley Isaacs and Unity Phelan are in the running.  On the men's side, Catazaro. 

Laracey is a lovely dancer, and I hope she is promoted, but she doesn't seem to be on management's radar as a top tier talent.

28 minutes ago, abatt said:

With Scheller gone, and Krohn imminently retiring, can we expect one or more promotions to principal during the coming season?   Of the ladies, I think Ashley Isaacs and Unity Phelan are in the running.  On the men's side, Catazaro. 

Laracey is a lovely dancer, and I hope she is promoted, but she doesn't seem to be on management's radar as a top tier talent.

Interesting point abatt. The current crop of principals won't last forever & they have to keep developing talent. On the women's side I'd say Ashely Laracey & Savannah Lowery are the most ready. I think it would be a bit soon for Unity Phelan. Maybe Ashley Isaacs, but I don't think she's done that many ballerina roles, unless I've just not seen her. Her Tchai pas was a good start when I saw it but still very much a work in progress.

I agree Catazaro on the men's side is the best bet.

Promotion to soloist - my hope would be Alexa Maxwell.

I just noticed that Claire Von Enck  is listed in the corps but not Emma Von Enck. Wasn't she? Did I miss something?

4 hours ago, abatt said:

Fingers crossed that they decide otherwise. I truly think she has the talent and the attitude.

Pollack was definitely in the running, but she will be taking a leave of absence in 2018 to work on Broadway in Carousel.  I think under those circumstances it is not likely that she would be in contention for a promotion during the 2017-18 season.

6 hours ago, Fleurfairy said:

It seems to me Savannah Lowery is stalled out at the soloist rank. I don't for see her being promoted. I'd say maybe King or LeCrone.

This is so hard to predict but I don't see King as promotable. She's been a long time favorite of mine for her glorious stage presence and lovely presentation but as a soloist her technical limitations have been more obvious. She hasn't been cast in many principal roles and I don't see anyone being promoted before success in at least a few principal roles. 

LeCrone has gotten plenty of opportunities and seems favored by management. Appears in lots of ads and promotional videos - someone up top must love her look. But she is not critically favored. I wonder if that will hurt her chances. 

I also doubt Lowery would be promoted. 

Laracey. They should have done it years ago. 

I agree with all the praise for Laracey and hope she gets the promotion that she deserves. With Krohn and Scheller leaving, I am crossing my fingers!

Putting my bias for her aside, of all the soloists, I think she is the only one who is ready to be promoted. The others who will likely get there one day (Phelan, Woodward, maybe Gerrity) are still new soloists and need time to develop. Definitely Isaacs as well, but I feel like she also needs more time. Maybe it is just me, but I feel like she has often been out for injuries in the past year or two.

LeCrone has a unique look and seems like she could take over long-legged principal roles like Agon, but with Kowroski and Reichlen, there doesn't seem to be much need. Also a doubter about Lowery and King.

Regardless, best wishes to Krohn! Very exciting she will stay in the NYCB family!

Wishing Krohn well!  I haven't seen her much but each time I have I've always been impressed with her exquisite lines.

Regarding the soloists, I recently saw Woodward in Dances at a Gathering and felt she held her own with the principals and I love the energy she brings to each of her roles.  I've also been very impressed with Sara Adams since her promotion -- she seems to be bringing new enthusiasm to her dancing.  I haven't seen much of Isaacs but I did see her Russian Girl debut a few years back.  It had promise but felt forceful, not the polish and refinement I normally expect in the role.  I hope she's progressing well as I haven't seen much of her lately.  Has she been injured?  It seems I'm in the minority but while I find Pollack to be technically proficient, I don't find her particularly exciting.  It's wonderful to have so many incredibly talented dancers and the vast repertory we're exposed to at City Ballet!

I am sure this will not be popular but I am pulling for Erica Pereira to be promoted. She is one of the most technicality correct Balanchine dancer in the company. She was promoted 2 years after Romeo & Juliet which she dances as an apprentice. She is never injured and has delivered under pressure as shown in Raymunda which she learned in under 6 hours. I truly believe she deserves a promotion this coming fall. 

4 hours ago, Dennis1954 said:

I am sure this will not be popular but I am pulling for Erica Pereira to be promoted. She is one of the most technicality correct Balanchine dancer in the company. She was promoted 2 years after Romeo & Juliet which she dances as an apprentice. She is never injured and has delivered under pressure as shown in Raymunda which she learned in under 6 hours. I truly believe she deserves a promotion this coming fall. 

I don't want to debate Erica Pereira's technique or artistry but it seems to me that she hasn't been given much of a repertoire and hasn't done a whole lot of principal roles. She'd done principal in Square Dance, Tarantella, Raymonda, Steadfast Tin Soldier (Tarantella & Soldier for many years). I might be wrong but I don't think much else (I'm talking about principal roles only). NYCB, like most companies, usually promotes a dancer when there is some sort of solid track record in principal roles. Of course, I could be wrong but it to me it appear that they are not testing her out, so to speak.

I agree w. Vipa. I don't think any of the long term soloist ladies - Pereira, Lowery, LeCrone - will be moved up to principal.   They do not get a volume of new lead roles, which serve as Martins' test to see how they can handle the principal workload.  Even Laracey is a long shot.

It will be interesting to see if Marrtins casts any of the leads for SL in the fall with people at the soloist level.  Then we will get a pretty good sense of who he is eyeing for potential promotion.  As an aside, Janzen was the only soloist who had a lead role during the last run of SL, and he was the only person who ultimately was promoted to principal during the last round of promotions. 

Catazaro was supposed to do Siegfried but got injured during the last run.   Surely his will get his Siegfried during the upcoming run in the fall, if he healthy.

The soloists who are consistently given principal roles are Harrison Balland Joseph Gordon. Ashly Isaacs too but she's spent so much time injured. Of the rest of the soloists I think Unity Phelan and Indiana Woodward are being fast-tracked and they deserve it. Both extremely talented.

In my opinion, Pereira has suffered from being in the same category, or employ as the Russians call it, as some amazing, really first class talent: Peck, Fairchild and above all Bouder. For quite a bit NYCB has had a stronger "small girl" contingent, much stronger at times then the taller girls. 

There is always going to be an amazing pool of talent at NYCB, particularly the pool of women.  Pereira might have made it to principal in a smaller, regional company.  Ditto a lot of other perennial soloists at NYCB.  However, the competition among the ladies at NYCB will always be fierce, no matter what .year you graduated from SAB.