This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2015 Met season

Unless they cast a 16 year-old as Aurora, nobody will be credible anyway. So there's really no difference between 39 year-old Vishneva, 31 year-old Lane and 29 year-old Boylston; they are all too old. Personally, I'll go see Vishneva while we still have her.

I agree about the age thing. The ability to portray youth does not correlate with being young. Still Lane has a youthfulness about her appearance and presentation. Vishneva is very mannered and to my eye calculating in her presentation. That's what makes the difference. The greatest Aurora I've ever seen was Cojocaru about 4 years ago. She was far from 16 but portrayed innocence that grew into something else.

I agree about the age thing. The ability to portray youth does not correlate with being young. Still Lane has a youthfulness about her appearance and presentation. Vishneva is very mannered and to my eye calculating in her presentation. That's what makes the difference. The greatest Aurora I've ever seen was Cojocaru about 4 years ago. She was far from 16 but portrayed innocence that grew into something else.

Even when she WAS 16, Vishneva was very mannered and calculating. She does always seem to be taking what she does very seriously. I hope she gets to have some fun sometimes...

Margot Fonteyn as Aurora and Alessandra Ferri as Juliet had the ability to portray youthfulness long after their youth.

I would agree that sometimes a more seasoned dancer has the ability to act a role and become the character . As mentioned, both Ferri and Cojocuru danced this role splendidly and both did so well past the given age of Aurora. As for Fonteyn, she is still the ultimate standard bearer of this role. No one has ever surpassed her portrayal. MO. And of course we can also look to Ulanova who danced well past her supposed "don't use" date. Anyone who saw her dance Juliet can attest to her remarkable skills to bring a younger character to full life. These roles require so much more than just technique and actual youth. Can't speak to the new ABT production, but I have no trouble going with Vishneva for my first viewing of this revival. The "younger" ladies will eventually come into the role, but for now I would prefer to see the more seasoned ballerina. And besides, Vishneva has the remarkable Gomes by her side, so what's not to like?

Margot Fonteyn as Aurora and Alessandra Ferri as Juliet had the ability to portray youthfulness long after their youth.

Agreed! I saw a snippets of a video of Ferri dancing Giselle (in what I assume was in her 40's) and I still believed she was a sweet innocent peasant girl in love during the first act.

I am also seeing Sarah Lane perform, as I've heard such rave reviews from others. I think I'm going to get tickets to Murphy as well, since the Sleeping Beauty met run is split in May and June.

I would agree that sometimes a more seasoned dancer has the ability to act a role and become the character . As mentioned, both Ferri and Cojocuru danced this role splendidly and both did so well past the given age of Aurora. As for Fonteyn, she is still the ultimate standard bearer of this role. No one has ever surpassed her portrayal. MO. And of course we can also look to Ulanova who danced well past her supposed "don't use" date. Anyone who saw her dance Juliet can attest to her remarkable skills to bring a younger character to full life. These roles require so much more than just technique and actual youth. Can't speak to the new ABT production, but I have no trouble going with Vishneva for my first viewing of this revival. The "younger" ladies will eventually come into the role, but for now I would prefer to see the more seasoned ballerina. And besides, Vishneva has the remarkable Gomes by her side, so what's not to like?

What she said.

Fonteyn and Ulanova. And Lynn Seymour.

Someone who knows more about this than I, said that this Ratmansky production has transformed Vishneva. Where her Aurora was previously unfocused, bland and too gymnastic, in this new ABT production where her legs seldom sweep above the level of her hips, she is more youthful, more nuanced, poetic and engaging.

What's with the announcement today on ABT's website that Paloma Herrera will not give her farewell performance as Aurora in SB in June but has moved up her final performance to May. She and Xiomara Reyes will both give their final performances the same day in the same role, one at the Wed matinee and the other in the evening. A bit awkward, isn't it? There is no cast now for Herrera's SB in June.

Official release:

PALOMA HERRERA TO GIVE FAREWELL PERFORMANCE

WITH AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE IN GISELLE

ON MAY 27 MATINEE AT METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

American Ballet Theatre Principal Dancer Paloma Herrera will give her farewell performance with the Company at the 2:00pm matinee of Giselle on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at the Metropolitan Opera House. Ms. Herrera's farewell performance was previously scheduled for Tuesday, June 9 as Princess Aurora in the Company's new staging of The Sleeping Beauty.

Ms. Herrera has decided to change the date of her final ABT performance to dance a role she has performed since 2001, and one that is very familiar to New York audiences. American Ballet Theatre's 2015 Spring season runs from May 11 through July 4. Individual tickets go on sale beginning Sunday, March 22 at 9:00am at the Metropolitan Opera House box office, by phone at 212-362-6000 and online at www.abt.org.

Outrageous. How insulting for Paloma and her fans. She learned the new SB role, so why did she suddenly have a change of heart now. No adequate partner for her?

This may be her choice. She might want to finish in a work she knows well.

Outrageous. How insulting for Paloma and her fans. She learned the new SB role, so why did she suddenly have a change of heart now. No adequate partner for her?

This may be her choice. She might want to finish in a work she knows well.

This is very surprising, but I agree it may have been her choice after performing it in CA last week. She may not feel comfortable in it and wants to give the best farewell performance possible.

But, I agree this is an awkward announcement and an even more awkward scheduling choice. Two retirements on the same day? I imagine some of her fans work during the day and will have a hard getting to this now.

The partner issue seems like a likely culprit. I don't understand how assigning her who she wanted for her farewell performance wouldn't be a priority for ABT. But I agree it's insulting only if she felt like she was pushed into it--not if she decided she just didn't want to dance in SB as her final performance (though you'd think during the rehearsal process you'd realize whether it was a role you were comfortable in or not, especially with her experience) and would prefer it to be Giselle.

I would have gone to her SB farewell regardless of her partner, but I'm not planning on taking the day off of work to go to the Wed matinee farewell. Additionally, they have been charging higher prices for the farewell tickets than for other tickets, so now everyone who bought tickets to her SB farwell has been overcharged. Refunds? I doubt it. I've never heard of anyone at ABT retiring on a Wed matinee.

The sad thing is that Aurora was a very good role for Paloma while her Giselle when I saw it was really a poor interpretation. According to what I have read about her SC performance, Paloma can still dance Aurora technically well despite the complaints about lack of interpretation and artistry. Lack of artistry and interpretation is more damning in "Giselle" than in "Sleeping Beauty" and she is making her Farewell at a Wednesday matinee. Really bad.

I agree w. FauxPas. She was excellent in previous outings in SB, but her Giselle is not particularly distinguished. A bad way to go out after 20 years.

I guess that either Seo/Stearns or Murphy/Whiteside will pick up the additional SB date vacated by Paloma.

I hope they plan on casting Paloma in their Gala so that her fans can say goodbye. Also hope they cast her as one of the two women characters in Fancy Free - a role she has performed previously.

I totally agree, abatt. Such a star & now her farewell will be a MATINEE? I smell a rat.