Diamondpointe

NYCB dancers who didn't go to SAB

They have been few and far between, especially since SAB was bolstered by the Ford Foundation grant, but I'm not sure if any of the Danes did. 

I'm guessing that since the '70's, more men were hired with professional experience and no SAB training than women.  Was Sylve the last ballerina who was hired directly into the company?

The last people I heard of this happening to were Hübbe (pincipal in 1992), De luz (came in as a soloist in 2003), and Garcia (principal in 2007). I can't even think of when this last happened for a female dancer!

I agree with Helene the most recent woman I remember is Sylve. 

Saskia Beskow, who retired from the NYCB corps in 2009, was trained in Denmark joined NYCB as a corps member from the Royal Danish Ballet.

She was a truly lovely dancer and one of those corps stalwarts you'd see in three ballets on the same night, night after night.

La Cour may have been the last one.  He did have an inside track, though, as Nilas Martin's step-brother.  

la Cour = 2002 - joined as corps, previously corps at RDB

De Luz = 2003 - joined as soloist, previously soloist at ABT

Garcia = 2007 - joined as principal, previously principal at SFB

I think maybe that's it on the current roster?

Are more than a few of the SAB graduates who get into NYCB "pure" SAB products? I was vaguely under the impression that many of the dancers not only  started elsewhere, but in some cases came to SAB mid-training or even towards the end of their training. 

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Are more than a few of the SAB graduates who get into NYCB "pure" SAB products? I was vaguely under the impression that many of the dancers not only  started elsewhere, but in some cases came to SAB mid-training or even towards the end of their training. 

Even a cursory look at the dancers' bios suggest that that is indeed the case. 

Very few NYCB members started at the school at 8-10, like at Paris Opera Ballet, the Mariinsky Ballet, Royal Danish Ballet, and Bolshoi Ballet.  Those programs are hardcore professional dance training, and the physical vetting process is beyond anything in North America and most schools across the world.   Even then, if you've ever seen footage of the kids being selected, they aren't starting ballet from scratch, so "pure" is relative.

Almost all of the students at SAB come into the Professional Division as teenagers, which means they've had extensive training elsewhere.  Very few are NY Metro locals who started at SAB as children and made it into the Professional Division, let alone into the company.  They often come from other schools, even if they're local to NY Metro, they take the summer program, and from there are invited to take the year-round program.   Even if they're in the year-round program, they often do summer programs elsewhere.

I'm not even sure the few dancers that started at SAB as children and made it to the PD and NYC, like Peter Boal, Jennie Somogyi, Michael Byars, and Judith Fugate, were "pure" SAB products, in that any of them might have done summer programs.

5 hours ago, Helene said:

La Cour may have been the last one.  He did have an inside track, though, as Nilas Martin's step-brother.  

I believe La Cour and Nilas are half-brothers, sharing the same mother, Peter's ex-wife.