This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB Spring 2016 Spring Season

Although Lovette and Huxley are listed for debuts in Rubies, I think they did the main pdd at an NYCB gala a few years ago. I think it was the Valentino gala.

I've also definitely seen Lovette do the Rubies pdd at a YAGP gala with Cornejo, and neither was very good at that performance.

Although Lovette and Huxley are listed for debuts in Rubies, I think they did the main pdd at an NYCB gala a few years ago. I think it was the Valentino gala.

I've also definitely seen Lovette do the Rubies pdd at a YAGP gala with Cornejo, and neither was very good at that performance.

Giving Lovette Emeralds and Scheller Rubies would make more sense to me.

I have an extra ticket to sell for the performance this Friday evening, 4/22/16. Orchestra row C. Price $21. PM me if you are interested.

I haven't been here in awhile so I've forgotten my login--I don't think I can PM now--

but I'd love to buy it, please message me if it's still available, thanks

I see Phelan continues her rise and is getting more debut roles.

I'm so wishing I could watch the Spring Gala. The cast for "Mothership" is very intriguing and highlights Corps and Apprentice dancers that haven't really ever been in the spotlight (except Von Enck really). And the cast for the new Wheeldon that night is :wub:

Jewels last night was mostly sublime. Tiler Peck in Emeralds was fluid and poetic. I thought her solos were perfection - deep backbends, gorgeous arms. I'm not sure that she and Ramasar are a great pairing. I'm generally not a big Krohn fan, but Emeralds suited her beautifully.

Rubies belonged to Reichlin's tall girl. She dominates the stage in fearless and bold attack. I'm glad that Reichlin is also getting the lead in Diamonds (in future performances next week) as she moves her way up the NYCB hierarchy of roles, but I hope she can continue in the Tall Girl role just a while longer. She is great in that role. Megan Fairchild and Garica were fine, but not terribly impressive. She has very little plasticity. Garcia does not have the virtuosity for this role.

Beautiful performance of Diamonds from Mearns and T. Angle. My quibble is that Mearns was too rushed in her solos, and sometimes sacrificed clarity and attention to her upper body movement in her solo in order to keep up with the music.

I miss Maria K's long, slender limbs in Diamonds. Maria has a grandeur that can be breathtaking. Nothing against the wonderful Mearns, but we need Maria K. back from maternity leave.

I was thrilled to be at last night's performance of Jewels. I love all three sections. The mystery and quiet allure of Emeralds; the joy and energy of Rubies; and the grandeur and pageantry of Diamonds. Many wonderful performances. When Rebecca Krohn and Ana Sophia Scheller were promoted to principal five years ago, I thought Scheller was special but had doubt about Krohn. (I should add that at the time I was very new to NYCB.) Five years on, Krohn has totally captured my imagination. Her arms and fingers were just lovely in the "walking" solo. I look forward to seeing Ashley Laracey take this role on May 1. I see Sara Mearns is scheduled for a few performances of it later in the run. I wish they would keep Mearns in Diamonds and Reichlen in Rubies, where both excel, and give Mearns' performances of the walking solo to Laracey. IMHO. I enjoyed Fairchild and Garcia in Rubies. There are other dancers who are better, but they were playful and energetic and seem to have an affectionate connection. I will be seeing both Megan LeCrone and Emily Kikta take on the tall girl role. Not sure LeCrone has the bright energy needed for the role -- she often seems inside herself -- but I look forward to both performances.

I hate to say this, because I know this probably makes me unsophisticated, but some of NYCB's repertoire is too modern for me. Call me a blue haired old lady, but I prefer more classical pieces, which is why I loved Tschai PDD but I'm not sure how I feel about the rest of what I saw. Bournonville is not modern, but I've seen it 3 times and have liked it less each time I've seen it. Moves was interesting but I kept getting distracted by hacking coughing audience members. And I think I liked parts of Symphony in 3 movements but I'm not sure. There was so much to look at onstage that my eyes weren't sure where to go. The Stravinsky score was amazing though and I thought the orchestra sounded great. Maybe this is a piece I need to see a few times to get the full impact?

I'm looking forward to Jewels tonight.

Kaysta, any report on Ashly Isaacs and Chase Finlay in Tchaikovsky pas de deux? I am sure she is up to the challenges but had some doubt about him and the partnering. I think you will like symphony in 3 movements more after more viewings, as well as all of Balanchine's "black and white" pieces. That was definitely the case for me.

I was at last night's performance. Indiana Woodward was a real standout in her solo in Bournonville Divt. So much poise and a very dynamic personality. There is a ton of talent in the company right now. Overall this wasn't my favorite program though. Tiler Peck amazing of course in Tchaikovsky pdd, brilliantly at ease. Veyette looking older than his years however, stiff and with heavy landings.

I thought she was beautiful, but obviously nervous. There were some partnering bobbles in the supported turn sequences during the first part, not sure who's fault they were. Her solo was very good (you could tell she was starting to relax) and by the time she got to the coda she was flying. I loved it, but think she'll be better the next time she does it. You could tell she was new to the role.

I was also there this afternoon. I am a fan of Bournnonville. This afternoon I felt the women, for the most part, outdanced the men in the ballet. In Flower Festival Abi Stafford was delightful, really covered space and had a wonderful lightness. Catanzaro was conquered by the choreography. His double tours were high and beautiful but other than that I though he lacked the clarity and buoyancy that Bournonville requires. Stafford was playful and sweet and he seemed to be just getting through. There were some partnering moments when he barely got to her. In the pas de six every woman did her variation with beautiful technique and playful authority - Sarah Adams, Lauren King (with her glowing stage presence), Brittany Pollack and Indiana Woodward. Of the men only Anthony Huxley looked comfortable and assured.

Everyone looked good in Moves. I particularly liked Emilie Gerry and Adrian D-W in the pas de deux. They connected well and their bodies compliment each others. The ballet is a little long for me because of the absence of music.

Tchai pas - Ashley Isaacs and Chase Finlay are two such earnest performers that it makes you root for them. I give them an - Eventually! It started out beautifully with Finlay's partnering having the right tone of graciousness and presentation. In the pas, they had one flub and she feel off point, and a couple of shaky moments. I was sitting close enough to see terror cross each of their faces for a second here and there. His variation was fine, if not spectacular, and he looked quite relieved when it was over. Hers started with the music being too fast, but she handled it and caught up. She is a strong, bold dancer - my major problem with her is that her arms get stiff and a bit jerky and her elbows lock now and then. This give the feeling that she is not free on top. I consider this a work in progress. I'd like to see them have another go at it in the future.

Symphony in 3 - I thought the performance was glorious. Great to see Scheller back looking happy and healthy. She danced with Ulbricbht. He was his usually clean, clear musical self. Jumps and all around technique flawless. I think he is one of the most underutilized dancers in the company. I would have loved to see him in Bournonville. LeCrone and Joseph Gordon were also a well matched couple. They dance with spark and wit. I can't imagine Gordon is long for the corps. Stirling Hyltin and Taylor Stanley did the pas de deux. They both brought a wonderful alertness to the piece, as if all parts of their bodies were fully aware. Hyltin was spectacular through-out. When she made her first entrance her movements were so full and musical that she owned the stage. She's a dancer who has made great progress over the last couple of years.

I enjoyed the afternoon and am particularly looking forward to watching Ashley Isaacs development. She has a lot going for her.

Just got back from Jewels tonight, will write more tomorrow, but I was completely blown away by Rubies. This was my very first time seeing Rubies (I've seen Emeralds and Diamonds performed by other companies), and it was absolutely amazing. I thought Fairchild and Garcia were fantastic. I was disappointed that I didn't get to see Teresa Reichlen in the tall girl role, but Savannah Lowery filled in nicely.

I need to see this ballet again soon, so I'm off to see if there are any tickets left for this coming week!

Kaysta, I adore Symphony in 3 Movements, it's just so Exciting with a capital "E"! I actually think it's one of Mr B's most accessible leotard-astringent ballets (well, compared to 4T's, Agon, etc). But perhaps my cup of tea isn't yours. Anyway, I'm so glad you liked Rubies, which really is a modern form of choreography for ballet. With the right cast, it is effortless, charming and a real jolt of caffeine after Emeralds' wistful perfume.

Kaysta, I adore Symphony in 3 Movements, it's just so Exciting with a capital "E"! I actually think it's one of Mr B's most accessible leotard-astringent ballets (well, compared to 4T's, Agon, etc). But perhaps my cup of tea isn't yours. Anyway, I'm so glad you liked Rubies, which really is a modern form of choreography for ballet. With the right cast, it is effortless, charming and a real jolt of caffeine after Emeralds' wistful perfume.

I didn't hate it, but my eyes just didn't know where to look. I really liked the last movement. I think I might have more appreciation for it when I see it again. It was my first Balanchine leotard ballet. I think part of the problem was my seats. I was sitting in the third tier far side, and I couldn't see part of the stage. I'm starting to see why folks like the 4th ring center so much, because you can see the patterns of the choreography. Usually, I like to be able to see the dancer's faces, and with ABT story ballets, I probably will still want that, but I think being close up is less important for the abstract ballets.

Tried to get tickets for Jewels next Sunday and there isn't much left seat wise. Thankfully this ballet is coming back next fall!