This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ballet in Olympic Opening CeremsZakharova, Vishneva, 'the two Vasilievs'

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 vagansmom

vagansmom

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

I didn't see the opening ceremonies. Did Vishneva perform Pendleton's "Dove of Peace" or was she just using the bead skirt costume and dancing to different choreography and music? If the latter, perhaps that's why Moses Pendleton's name wasn't mentioned.

I also looked at photos of some of those costumes that mimic the bead skirt. I could be wrong, but they don't look like they're made of beads, but of some kind of rope. I'm just curious because I know that prop very well. 

#17 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

Vishneva's choreography at the Opening Ceremony  looked identical to what she did at Beauty in Motion, except that it was set to Swan Lake music.  Also, there were a lot more dancers performing with her. 

#18 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

Vishneva's choreography at the Opening Ceremony  looked identical to what she did at Beauty in Motion, except that it was set to Swan Lake music.  Also, there were a lot more dancers performing with her. 

I had no idea of any connection between Beauty in Motion and the Opening Ceremonies until reading this thread. I watched the section with Vishneva thinking it made for a lovely enough image for an Olympic opening ceremonies (the dancers...the dove...Vishneva twirling at the center) but that the creators hardly needed one of the world's great ballerinas for it.  I'm a little disconcerted to learn it's actually one of her featured specialty numbers....

#19 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:34 PM

I had no idea of any connection between Beauty in Motion and the Opening Ceremonies until reading this thread. I watched the section with Vishneva thinking it made for a lovely enough image for an Olympic opening ceremonies (the dancers...the dove...Vishneva twirling at the center) but that the creators hardly needed one of the world's great ballerinas for it.  I'm a little disconcerted to learn it's actually one of her featured specialty numbers....

I have a feeling that when she works with this specialty costume in the context of a dance concert, rather than a mass movement choir, she's doing something quite different.

#20 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

You can check out her  her Beauty in Motion piece on youtube.  It's called F.L.O.W., choreographed by Moses Pendleton. 

#21 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:00 AM

This thing with the bids reminds me of those old silent clips of the serpentine dance ladies...it is all about the visual effects of the prop.

#22 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

Interview with Daniel Ezralow about choreographing part of the opening ceremonies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):