• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:22 AM

It has just been announced that Alina Cojocaru and Johan Kobborg will leave the Royal Ballet at the end of this season 'to pursue other artistic challenges'.

They will dance with the company as scheduled in Tokyo in July but their last London performance will be in Mayerling on June 5th.

Press release

#2 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:00 AM

I wonder if this news has anything to do with the fact that Osipova will be now dancing at the Royal. I'm only wondering.

#3 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

I was totally shocked as they had been cast in the upcoming 2013/14 season. I wonder if it's a last minute decision.

#4 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

RB not-yet-updated castings still list Cojocaru & Kobborg in Nutcracker 12/24 & 12/31: http://www.roh.org.u...by-peter-wright

her in Don Q 10/5, 10/8, 10/18: http://www.roh.org.u...by-peter-wright

and R&J 10/22 & 11/14: http://www.roh.org.u...nneth-macmillan

#5 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

I wonder if this news has anything to do with the fact that Osipova will be now dancing at the Royal. I'm only wondering.

Or the change to a new director, Kevin O'Hare? Didn't we see reports earlier that his predecessor resisted hiring Osipova as a regular principal?

#6 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

According to a small article on this in Arts Beat in the NY Times today, Kobborg was a potential candidate for Monica Mason's job, but Kobborg lost out to O'Hare. There might be some negative vibes due to that situation as well.

#7 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

I'd like to mention that at the major British dance forum (1279 members) there has been over 5,000 'look ins' since this news was first posted this morning.

[I apologize for misinformation. There have been only 2,025 'look ins' but there have been 55 replies]

#8 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

Alina is being replaced in Swan Lake on 6/21, ABT gives no reason. I am wondering if the latest cast change and her leaving RB share any common factors.

#9 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

I've got a ticket to that one -- but Maria Kochetkova, whom I love but never get to see, is her replacement, so what can I say except best wishes to Alina and Johan no matter what.

Added later:

If there are any more replacements could Myriam Ould Braham be arranged ?

#10 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

I've got a ticket to that one -- but Maria Kochetkova, whom I love but never get to see, is her replacement, so what can I say except best wishes to Alina and Johan no matter what.

Added later:

I had a ticket to that Swan Lake too and am disappointed, but I've never seen Maria Kochetkova live so I'm excited for that opportunity. I just hope that I have other chances to see Cojocaru again. She is one of the greats.

#11 MRR

MRR

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

Alina is being replaced in Swan Lake on 6/21, ABT gives no reason. I am wondering if the latest cast change and her leaving RB share any common factors.

The press release stated that Cojocaru is injured.

#12 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

The press release stated that Cojocaru is injured.

I must have missed it. It seems very strange, does that mean she won't be able to dance her last performance in London with RB on 6/5?

#13 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:47 PM

I had a ticket to that Swan Lake too and am disappointed, but I've never seen Maria Kochetkova live so I'm excited for that opportunity. I just hope that I have other chances to see Cojocaru again. She is one of the greats.

I presume you both have heard that SF Ballet is traveling to NY Koch Theatre later this year? October 16-27, 2013. Kochetkova should be in a number of those ballets. ;)
http://www.sfballetb...witterclickthru

#14 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:42 AM

IAdded later:

Myriam Ould Braham cancelled her Gala guesting this summer in Japan due to pregnancy (which was announced officially). However, she is expected to dance in La Sylphide this month at POB.

#15 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:21 AM

Alina Cojocaru was also the Mariinsky's unprecedented guest star at five of its Festivals in a row until her injury after which she returned for one more which may have been one of her greatest performances. I'll certainly miss seeing her and Johan in London.

Thanks for the Maria Kochetkova info. Actually I live part of the year in California, but at the other end of a rather big state. Mention of a chance to see Myriam Ould Braham was just a momentary reverie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):