This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2012/2013 Mariinsky Ballet Season: General News, etc.

• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

#151 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this one. Something that I'm enjoying very much is observing the somewhat parallel development of Oxana Skorik and Olga Smirnova (several years younger, I believe). Since Olga Smirnova , a Vaganova graduate, is now at the Bolshoi, it is less easy to discuss them together in a topic format, but I think that the comparisons are fascinating and will be fascinating to make as both these outstanding (in my opinion anyway) young artists progress to become stars at their respective companies.

[Added comment -- You might enjoy watching the internet video clips of Olga Smirnova's beautiful handling of the "Grand Pas Classique". Here's one.]

#152 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

I completely agree with what Buddy said above about the problems with youtube as a medium for judging dancers. [Buddy corrected me below--it was Writer who said that]; I also completely agree with Cubanmiamiboy about wanting to watch dancers who dance (rather than move from pose to pose) though certainly some roles (like Kitri) require less in the way of beautiful lines than others (such as Bayadere) to come off effectively.

But if a youtube duel of Grand Pas Classique it is...here goes: clearly both of these young dancers have problems negotiating some of the ballet's more harrowing moments -- I pause in typing of this sentence to appreciate Cynthia Gregory sans cigarette -- but only one of them looks like a potential world-class ballerina: Smirnova. And it's the upper-body and indeed the "danciness" that, in these youtube excerpts, makes the crucial difference.

Skorik does have some lovely qualities (including some of her lines). And indeed looks as if she has fine potential and may "grow" as a dancer and artist. Her prominence at the Mariinsky at THIS stage of her career remains a puzzlement if youtube here and elsewhere is to be believed. Of course, it may not be; fan reports of live performances (as on this thread) are rather divided.

Smirnova I have no doubt is someone I want to watch "grow." Here's hoping it happens and that I get to see her one day!

#153 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Hi, Drew.

One quick correction. It is "writer" who brings up the consideration of videos and I think has made some points that are well worth thinking about.

Also I did not want to imply a competition between Oxana Skorik and Olga Smirnova, but rather a complimentary look at these two remarkable artists, whom I consider to be equal but beautifully different.

#154 writer

writer

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

Did the choreography change for the GPC? It seems that Skorik and Smirovna attempt to balance while the partner does a tour en l'air and try not to kneel until he does. Maybe it is just personal preference?

I agree, Maya would probably be a star today, but she would have to be much thinner. But I wonder if the ultra think body type diminishes a dancer's strenghth and ability to do such big jumps.

#155 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,476 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

I moved seven posts from this thread to a discussion of comparing generations:

http://balletalert.i...ns/#entry314617

It's a great topic in itself.

#156 Tiara

Tiara

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

In Essence I think that she is Extremely Beautiful and in expression she can be mind-bogglingly exciting.

I saw Oxana Skorik's Nikiya at Mariinsky on 4th February, and if this was exciting then her calmer moments must be described as comatose. As Act 1 Nikiya her face was like a blank canvas and I never saw a more emotionless portrayal. At times she did smile, but for the most part she had a completely still face. Nikiya needs to be very expressive - the music calls for it - but Oxana Skorik's heart and soul do not connect with the music.

#157 macnellie

macnellie

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:09 AM

Does anyone know why Olga Smirnova did not dance on the 4th as scheduled? I hope she is not injured.

#158 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

In Essence I think that she is Extremely Beautiful and in expression she can be mind-bogglingly exciting.

I saw Oxana Skorik's Nikiya at Mariinsky on 4th February, and if this was exciting then her calmer moments must be described as comatose. As Act 1 Nikiya her face was like a blank canvas and I never saw a more emotionless portrayal. At times she did smile, but for the most part she had a completely still face. Nikiya needs to be very expressive - the music calls for it - but Oxana Skorik's heart and soul do not connect with the music.

But how much smiling does Nikiya have reason to do, really?

#159 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,275 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

I saw Oxana Skorik's Nikiya... her calmer moments must be described as comatose.

Posted Image

#160 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

....But how much smiling does Nikiya have reason to do, really?

Not much...just the Hootchie-Koochie Basket Dance just before the snake bites her. That bit must have some vem and vigor!

#161 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

but she isn't doing that dance because she's happy, right? it's a little more like 'darn, i wish myrtha was in this ballet and could dance you to death!'

#162 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

Ha-ha...I see your point. At that moment, I think that Nikiya was truly overjoyed, thinking that the basket came from Solor. (She receives the basket from 'sneaky Aya' halfway into the sad adagio...Aya had whispered tha tit came from Solor. So the basket perks her up & she does her happy dance.)

#163 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,476 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

I see Nikiya as being happy twice: in her PPD with Solor, at least in part, and where she receives the basket. If she doesn't show that she thinks it's from Solor, then there's no way of making sense of why she embraces it, as opposed to it being a dance prop, and it's the only way for us to see what it represents: her assumption that Solor will remain true to her, even through she's just learned he's engaged to Gamzatti and has been behaving like an engaged man, if publicly, like Radames in "Aida." She dies before we see whether he'd have put his money where his mouth is, like Radames, or whether he's a weasel, like Albrecht, at least Act I Albrecht.

#164 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

At 2:52 or so.

#165 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

As this is the 2013 season thread I wanted to post an update regarding tomorrow's performance. It would have been the debut of Svetlana Ivanova in Giselle, along with Xander Parish, but she is injured. She will be replaced and Xander will still perform. Here is to hoping her injury is not serious and that she can resume this debut before the 2013 season closes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):