This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Olga SmirnovaTalk about the young rising star of Russian ballet, 2011 Vaganova grad

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

Ditto  flowers.gif

#62 Swanilda8

Swanilda8

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

Thanks!

I think Smirnova is a wonderful dancer - beautiful line and musicality.  

I also really love Kondratieva, and so I enjoy that every time there's a feature on Smirnova, there's an interview with her coach!

#63 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

Very much enjoyed watching this. Thank you.  

#64 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:21 AM

Thank you so much for posting this;  Olga's truly special. 

#65 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

I've been watching the most recent video clip of Olga Smirnova dancing Diamonds and of the many things that I like very much, one is very pleasant to see. 

It's how healthy she looks. She has a very proper weight condition for one thing.

I look back on earlier video clips where I really admired the linear beauty of her motion. She was also thinner and I began to think that it was a large reason for the overall, beautiful look of her dance.

Now I see that she can still achieve a wonderfully linear dance quality and also have a very healthy and beautiful looking weight condition.

Based on video clips only, I think that she is progressing wonderfully and is just beginning a truly remarkable career. I greatly look forward to being able to see her perform live this summer in NYC to confirm what I've enjoyed so much on video.

#66 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

Olga has been awarded the 2014 Leonide Massine Award, in Positano, Italy, for "Best Dancer of the Year on the International

Stage."  The award presentation will take place on September 6.  Brava Olgayahoo.gif!  flowers.gif.  http://bolshoinews.c... Newsletter.pdf

#67 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,463 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:27 PM

Congratulations to her :flowers:

#68 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:20 PM

Congratulations to Olga Smirnova--a beautiful young artist!

#69 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

Congratulations to Olga Smirnova--a beautiful young artist!

Also a Prodigy definitely, and a Genius quite possibly. 

#70 MadameP

MadameP

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:02 AM

Olga's professional debut at the Mariinsky takes place tonight - she dances Swan Lake with Semyon Chudin.  The company is putting out a great cast for her, with Ermakov as Rothbart,  and Batoeva/Selina/Stepin as Prince's Friends.  It's sold out, of course - all St Petersburg must be waiting to see her!  Will be interesting to read the reviews!   

#71 Zachary

Zachary

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:02 AM

There are a couple videos up on YouTube - her Odile variation and the coda. I'm waiting eagerly for more! She looks beautiful, I'm sure she must have been nervous but I myself think she did an absolutely stunning job, not to mention the variation is a different version than the one she's already performed at Bolshoi. Chudin is, of course, perfect as always.

#72 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:00 AM

There are a couple videos up on YouTube - her Odile variation and the coda. I'm waiting eagerly for more! She looks beautiful, I'm sure she must have been nervous but I myself think she did an absolutely stunning job, not to mention the variation is a different version than the one she's already performed at Bolshoi. Chudin is, of course, perfect as always.

I can't tell you about the difference in variations, but otherwise I agree with you completely.

#73 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:06 PM

I saw these video bits as well. I thought Chudin looked gorgeous especially in the opening sequence of jumps but less preternaturally perfect in his finishes for final part of variation than he did at his first August performance in New York (which I saw in the theater) and  where he seemed to me to show an almost Bruhn-like level of control.  As for Smirnova--in this video when she really 'hits' something, it does look gorgeus and indeed much of this is very beautiful--at the best moments really dancing the difficulties rather than showing them off--but I think she is still smoothing out rough edges in parts of the variation. Not surprising in what is for practical purposes a debut (the variation is not the same as what she does at Bolshoi) and I think, too, she may have been a touch nervous. I like the fact that she opts for single fouettes at a decent speed/height and in place (though she seemed to lose a bit of control at the very end).

None of this is meant as "faint praise"--rather what I think of as honest praise for two very appealing and talented dancers I like and admire a lot -- and hope to see again. I am also hoping some of the first two scenes turn up on video...Though one thing I don't think video will ever be able to capture is the warmth and charisma that Smirnova-Chudin bring to the stage in this ballet. It's an elegant, high-style, classical warmth--but warmth still seems to me the right word.

#74 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:13 PM

Drew, thanks very much for your added thoughts. You mention "warmth and charisma." What, for me, Olga Smirnova has added to her Swan Lake debut (I've only seen on video) is a definite and compelling identity. I noticed this in NYC both times.

Her Odette/Odiles are now clearly defined. For the moment I can't totally describe it, but I'll suggest a few descriptive words.

'Alive, here and now, believable, sensitive, aware, dramatic, poetic, compelling, charismatic, enchanting, commanding.....' (She can't do much better than that, I guess)

Somehow she now truly 'Connects' with her partner, the stage and us.

#75 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:20 AM

Did you all think that Smirnova's variation at the Mariinsky was good? I thought that part was a disaster. I have seen her several times in galas as the White Swan and she was very lyrical and good so I was shocked to see that clip, very heavy, en dehours problem, lack of 5th position no fluidity and so on. Perhaps she was nervous because it was not the Grigrovich variation she was accustomed to. 

Although she is very beautiful, talented and a good actress and has that lovely warmth, sometimes I could see she has that en dehours problem, her standing feet is tacked in which is annoying. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):