This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Olga Smirnova

Zachary

On 2/21/2019 at 12:15 AM, volcanohunter said:

Would this mean that Kondratieva was not a great ballerina because she didn't dance bravura roles? Or conversely does this make Kristina Kretova a great ballerina? Don't misunderstand me. I like Kretova a lot. She's a good dancer and a fine actress with a broad range. The Bolshoi is lucky to have her. But she's a utility dancer. A good one. But not a great ballerina.

It means that being a one-trick pony is not a way to greatness. Dancing Nikiya the same way you dance Kitri is not greatness. Kondratieva danced many varied roles. Giselle and the Mistress of the Copper Mountain are very different roles. Range is more than just bravura or non-bravura.

I'd be happy to discuss Kovaleva and Kretova on their own threads, or I'll digress too much.

This is a 50 minute (approx) video interview with Olga Smirnova.

“We present to you the first edition of the series of exclusive interviews "Green Living Room" after a long break.

“Press secretary of the Bolshoi Katerina Novikova spoke with the prima ballerina of the Bolshoi Olga Smirnova.”

(Thanks to Sophia at Dansomanie)

Olga Smirnova says a lot of interesting things in the interview posted above.  One is that dancers should work one style at a time, maybe two weeks at a time. She says that she’d like to see this implemented at the school level.

She also explains that she likes to start fresh each time. She likes to take the same role and rediscover it. She mentions that historically Galina Ulanova always kept the same interpretation, whereas Maya Plisietskaya alway did it differently. I would have to add that for Galina Ulanova it probably didn’t matter, because she was so amazing anyway.

She also makes it quite clear from the beginning that she loves St. Petersburg. I sometimes wonder if the Mariinsky offered her a top position again if she’d take it, but she never implies this. In my opinion she has developed an exceptional sense of expression and drama that works very well at the Bolshoi.

Another of her expressed essentials is to be true to yourself.

Edited by Buddy