Wish List for Next Spring-Summer SeasonWhich dancers we'd love to see in which ballets in2012

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#16 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:06 PM

Nice thread topic, angelica. I hope The Powers That Be are listening.

#17 VanKirk

VanKirk

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:58 PM

Sarah Lane as Swanilda, Aurora, Juliet and Giselle. She's danced and inhabited the character of Aurora already (beautifully). She's the next best choice for female principal. Why do the powers that be ignore this?

More of Stella Abrera (in principal roles)and with the principal title.

Kristi Boone as Myrta, Gamzatti, Lilac Fairy, etc.

Joseph Gorak and Thomas Forster given more opportunities to perform and, thus, get ready for soloist roles.

Few, if any guest appearances. ABT has the talent but it needs to be nurtured and given opportunities.

Wish list refers to next season and beyond.

#18 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:27 AM

Please Kevin, read this thread!

#19 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:52 AM

Nice thread topic, angelica. I hope The Powers That Be are listening.

Well, Helene (and all), we do have some good ideas and we all love ballet, so perhaps someone, somewhere, will get the message.

#20 OneSwan

OneSwan

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:02 PM

I would love to see Veronika Part dance Giselle. In her July 2011 Dance magazine feature she says she hopes to dance the role: Kevin, please listen! And I echo the earlier suggestion that it would be great to see her do Manon with Marcelo.

I'd also like to see Misty Copeland as Kitri.

#21 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:01 PM

Bring back Raymonda.

#22 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:16 AM

There are so many good ideas on this thread. I hope someone in power at ABT is reading it. My choices have already been mentioned. I have been waiting to see Stella and David in Giselle since 2008. I would also love to see La Fille again with the dancers mentioned. Also I think Daniil Simkin would make a great Colas. He could be partnered with either Lane, Osipova or Reyes. The best Colas I ever saw was Corella. I think he could still dance the role. I would love to see Onegin with Marcelo and Diana. I would also love to see them in Mayerling, along with Veronika Part as has been mentioned. And I've been wanting to see ABT dance A Month in the Country ever since I saw the Royal Ballet dance it in 1981.

I also agree with Abatt about Raymonda. I don't know why it's never been revived. And please no more James Kudelka ballets or John Neumeier (just my opinion).

#23 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:16 AM

And I've been wanting to see ABT dance A Month in the Country ever since I saw the Royal Ballet dance it in 1981.

And please no more James Kudelka ballets or John Neumeier (just my opinion).

I couldn't agree more! A Month in the Country is my favorite Ashton Ballet and I think ABT would do it justice.

Hear, hear on the Kudelka/Neumeier comment!

#24 FauxPas

FauxPas

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:34 AM

Wonderful, wonderful ideas above.

Some more suggestions for Cojocaru - I'd like to see her in "Raymonda" whose choreography has a lot of elements of Aurora in "Sleeping Beauty". I'd also like to see her Juliet and possibly "Swan Lake" which is in her Royal Ballet repertory (not sure it is one of her best roles). Cojocaru could also do Lise in "Fille" as well.

#25 MRR

MRR

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:35 PM

I would also love for ABT to do Jewels--it would make for a fascinating contrast of NYCB and ABT doing the work. ABT does other Balanchine works and has the dancers to perform the ballet. While I realize the ballet is performed quite often across the plaza, the work has become part of more and more companies' repertories, and I fail to see why ABT shouldn't follow suit.

#26 vipa

vipa

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:51 PM

Wonderful, wonderful ideas above.

Some more suggestions for Cojocaru - I'd like to see her in "Raymonda" whose choreography has a lot of elements of Aurora in "Sleeping Beauty". I'd also like to see her Juliet and possibly "Swan Lake" which is in her Royal Ballet repertory (not sure it is one of her best roles). Cojocaru could also do Lise in "Fille" as well.

I'd love to see both of those.

#27 vipa

vipa

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:53 PM

I would also love for ABT to do Jewels--it would make for a fascinating contrast of NYCB and ABT doing the work. ABT does other Balanchine works and has the dancers to perform the ballet. While I realize the ballet is performed quite often across the plaza, the work has become part of more and more companies' repertories, and I fail to see why ABT shouldn't follow suit.

I doubt that ABT would do Jewels. If they do - Abrera in Emeralds, Cojocaru in Diamonds, Rubies not sure

#28 MRR

MRR

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:04 PM

I doubt that ABT would do Jewels. If they do - Abrera in Emeralds, Cojocaru in Diamonds, Rubies not sure

I doubt ABT would either, but I feel it would be very interesting work for the company to have in its rep. In addition to the dancers you mentioned, I would like to see Murphy in Rubies and Part in Diamonds.

#29 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:13 PM

Osipova & Hallberg in Romeo
Osipova and Cojacaru in Bayadere (Nikiya)
Cojacaru in Raymonda -- she would be glorious! :beg:

#30 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:55 PM

I love the all-Shakespeare idea, I would fly to NYC (from Seattle) to see that in a heartbeat! I would add a revival of John Cranko's "Taming of the Shrew" to the list. NYC has "Shakespeare at Central Park", so why not "Shakespeare at City Center"?

ABT needs to play to its strengths, and I see a lot of requests for Ashton. I suggest a one-off spring rep of all-Ashton ballets, or maybe in the summer when the tourists are in the city. It's muggy, and a night (or afternoon) in air conditioned atmosphere, away from the din of the city and the polution, sigh...sounds fantastic.

Another idea is a Russian Stories arc: Onegin, Anna Karenina, Bright Stream, and American debut of Ratmansky's Little Humpback Horse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):