This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wish List for Next Spring-Summer Season

Wonderful, wonderful ideas above.

Some more suggestions for Cojocaru - I'd like to see her in "Raymonda" whose choreography has a lot of elements of Aurora in "Sleeping Beauty". I'd also like to see her Juliet and possibly "Swan Lake" which is in her Royal Ballet repertory (not sure it is one of her best roles). Cojocaru could also do Lise in "Fille" as well.

I'd love to see both of those.

I would also love for ABT to do Jewels--it would make for a fascinating contrast of NYCB and ABT doing the work. ABT does other Balanchine works and has the dancers to perform the ballet. While I realize the ballet is performed quite often across the plaza, the work has become part of more and more companies' repertories, and I fail to see why ABT shouldn't follow suit.

I doubt that ABT would do Jewels. If they do - Abrera in Emeralds, Cojocaru in Diamonds, Rubies not sure

I would also love for ABT to do Jewels--it would make for a fascinating contrast of NYCB and ABT doing the work. ABT does other Balanchine works and has the dancers to perform the ballet. While I realize the ballet is performed quite often across the plaza, the work has become part of more and more companies' repertories, and I fail to see why ABT shouldn't follow suit.

I doubt that ABT would do Jewels. If they do - Abrera in Emeralds, Cojocaru in Diamonds, Rubies not sure

I doubt ABT would either, but I feel it would be very interesting work for the company to have in its rep. In addition to the dancers you mentioned, I would like to see Murphy in Rubies and Part in Diamonds.

I love the all-Shakespeare idea, I would fly to NYC (from Seattle) to see that in a heartbeat! I would add a revival of John Cranko's "Taming of the Shrew" to the list. NYC has "Shakespeare at Central Park", so why not "Shakespeare at City Center"?

ABT needs to play to its strengths, and I see a lot of requests for Ashton. I suggest a one-off spring rep of all-Ashton ballets, or maybe in the summer when the tourists are in the city. It's muggy, and a night (or afternoon) in air conditioned atmosphere, away from the din of the city and the polution, sigh...sounds fantastic.

Another idea is a Russian Stories arc: Onegin, Anna Karenina, Bright Stream, and American debut of Ratmansky's Little Humpback Horse.

In light of the ecstatic reception given to the Manon PDD performed during last summer's Met season, and during this year's ABT opening night gala, the time is ripe to revive the whole thing. Diana and Marcelo, please?

Oh, and yes, one guilty pleasure: Paquita - not performed by ABT since, I think, the eighties.

Oh, and yes, one guilty pleasure: Paquita - not performed by ABT since, I think, the eighties.

Yes!! It would even be better if Kevin and Alexei can convince Yuri Burlaka to stage it. His version for the Bolshoi with all the ladies variations is fabulous.

I believe ABT can do a lot better than Cranko and Macmillan though I know we are going to get them next season and doubtless for many seasons after. (The one Macmillan I would be curious to see again would be the Faure Requiem.) I am always happy to see Ashton in ABT's repertory and it enables them to showcase a twentieth-century classicism different from NYCB's.

Paquita is an excellent thought and quite a guiltless pleasure as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps also it would be nice to see Tudor's Leaves are Fading again (and if they are worried about box office with repertory programs, let's say Leaves are Fading with Cojocaru at a couple of the performances).

Just a quick note...

RE: All-Shakespeare...

ABT did do an all-Shakespeare ("festival" was their term) during a Met season (I think it was 2007?). They did "The Dream", "R&J", and "Othello". But not on the same night of course. Personally, I love Shakespeare, so I thought it was a grand idea, and a chance to see three very different choreographers' take on it. (I think I also saw Cranko's R&J at BB shortly thereafter. Wish they would do his "Taming of the Shrew" too, I haven't seen that since Joffrey days in LA)

RE: A Month in the Country...

Yes, this is my favorite as well. And I can think of LOTS of ABT casts I'd like to see do it. But there was a thread here a few years ago where acquiring this ballet was proposed, and we were told then that The RB (or is it Dowell?) owns the rights, and said that it will never be done elsewhere. (But maybe now , this is no longer so?) Personally, I always thought AC could play the tutor; he certainly understands, and I've certainly observed, what it's like to have fans from all stratas of society want him personally, professionally, or both.

I'd also like to see the complete "Raymonda" live at least once in my life.

In the meantime, I go to those performances I enjoy, and can afford, and otherwise, I wait for better times.

Almost everyone here is wishing for more full lengths. I'm really wishing (a hopeless cause) for more rep. ABT has a history of full lengths and stars, but also a history of great rep.

Personally I went to see 3 full length ballets this season based on Cojocaru. Even with Cojocaru, I'd never go to see R&J, the Lady Camilians thing, Eugene Onegin, Manon or any of other "acting" ballets. I'll never go to see Don Q again (I went for the rare chance to Cojocaru, loved her but won't go again ), Giselle (loved Cojocaru, but probably won't go again) Sleeping Beauty (might go, because there is a lot of dancing/technique involved for a number of people).

The Marinsky is here with "story ballets" but there are lots of discount tickets available. So story ballets are not a guarantee of sales.

I saw Osipova in The Bright Stream and loved her. I hope I get to see her in rep, clearly full length ballets are not my thing.

I loved the idea of a Shakespeare night - Kevin M has already said that the Tudor R&J would be super expensive to mount. I have no idea about the ins and outs of these things.

So that brings my back to my wish list of rep nights which are not going to happen. Can we at least choose from:

Billy the Kid

Rodeo

Gaite Parisianne

Lilac Garden

Helen of Troy

Intermezzo

Whatever Balanchine ballets they can get a hold of

3 Virgins & a Devil

Judgment in Paris.

Leaves are Fading

I'll stop, but could go on forever. For those of us who are not "story ballet" fans, ABT has less and less to offer.

So that brings my back to my wish list of rep nights which are not going to happen. Can we at least choose from:

Billy the Kid

Rodeo

Gaite Parisianne

Lilac Garden

Helen of Troy

Intermezzo

Whatever Balanchine ballets they can get a hold of

3 Virgins & a Devil

Judgment in Paris.

Leaves are Fading

I'll stop, but could go on forever. For those of us who are not "story ballet" fans, ABT has less and less to offer.

I'm with you on more rep nights! And even some of the rep you and others have mentioned are in some ways "story ballets", so they fulfill two needs. Both "Rodeo" and "Billy The Kid" tell a story. As does "Lilac Garden" certainly. Most of Tudor has a story of sorts to tell. As does Ashton. I'd love another go at his "Sylvia" and possibly "Ondine", for either Cojocaru or Osipova. "The Dream" is always right up there. As is "Illuminations". As for Balanchine, as you said, anything they can get hold of. But one that ABT has done in the past is "Symphoney in C". It's best done on a large stage as it uses so many dancers. And it offers so many opportunities for the dancers to really do something!! Someone also mentioned "Jewels", which I'd certainly pay to see ABT dance. And also, alas, "La Fille". The current ABT crop of dancers would do wonders with this ballet.

"The Dream" (1964) is Frederick Ashton's one-act version of "A Midsummer Night's Dream". It's a classic ballet and the ABT version is available on DVD with Ethan Stiefel as Oberon and Alessandra Ferri as Titania.

Christopher Stowell also choreographed a one-act version for his company, Oregon Ballet Theatre.

Balanchine's "A Midsummer Night's Dream" (1962) is a full-length and has has almost all of the storytelling that Ashton covers in a different way in the first act. Act II shows the joint wedding of Hippolyta to Theseus, Helena to Demetrius, and Hermia to Lysander, and includes a beautiful three-part divertissement to a Mendelssohn symphony that is rarely played in concert halls, and which Balanchine abridged for his ballet.

I prefer the Balanchine, because he uses the best music for the Titania/Donkey pas de deux, where Ashton uses the same music for the Titania/Oberon pas deux, and Balanchine's second act pas de deux in the Wedding Divertissement is one of the greatest pdd I've ever seen. However, were ABT to perform it, that would be in competition with the home company, and ABT already does the Ashton.

John Neumeier choreographed a version to music by Mendelssohn, Ligeti, and for barrel organ. RDB performed it this past season.

Other versions include:

Ballet Met: David Nixon

Ballet Austin: Stephen Mills.

Cincinnati Ballet: Victoria Morgan

Ballet Arizon: Ib Andersen

Madison Ballet: Peter Anastos

How is "Armand and Marguerite" different from "Lady of the Camillas?"

Marguerite and Armand is a one-act ballet by Frederick Ashton for Fonteyn and Nureyev (until a few years ago they were the only ones to ever perform it--now the Royal is back to dancing it as well as Nina Ananiashvili's company). Music is a piano sonata by Liszt. I believe the whole thing is on youtube with both Fonteyn/Nureyev and Sylvie Guillem/Nicholas Le Riche or Massimo Murru, if you wanted to take a look.

Lady of the Camillias is the full length ballet of the story by John Neumeier, that is now performed by ABT to piano music by Chopin. The stories of Manon and Des Grieux are included in this ballet.

Same-ish story, very different presentations!

I'm really wishing (a hopeless cause) for more rep.

I'm right there with you on the hopelessness bandwagon.

I loved the idea of a Shakespeare night - Kevin M has already said that the Tudor R&J would be super expensive to mount.

This drives me crazy when you consider how much they blew on The Pied Piper and their garish Sleeping Beauty. And there are people around who could help restage the Tudor Romeo and Juliet! Among others, Carla Fracci, Natalia Makharova, Ivan Nagy and John Prinz all performed in it during the 70s, and they're all still around and presumably willing to help. Frankly, I think McKenzie pleading poverty is an excuse. Today's ABT only performs just enough Tudor to keep the critics off their collective backs -- they're not committed to Tudor in any serious and systematic way.

As for Balanchine, as you said, anything they can get hold of. But one that ABT has done in the past is "Symphoney in C". It's best done on a large stage as it uses so many dancers. And it offers so many opportunities for the dancers to really do something!! Someone also mentioned "Jewels", which I'd certainly pay to see ABT dance.

I say this with all politeness but . . . I have to disagree. In my opinion, New York doesn't need a second home for Balanchine. Instead, ABT should revisit its pre-Baryshnikov past for inspiration and renewal -- there's a lot there.

I'm really wishing (a hopeless cause) for more rep.

I'm right there with you on the hopelessness bandwagon.

I loved the idea of a Shakespeare night - Kevin M has already said that the Tudor R&J would be super expensive to mount.

This drives me crazy when you consider how much they blew on The Pied Piper and their garish Sleeping Beauty. And there are people around who could help restage the Tudor Romeo and Juliet! Among others, Carla Fracci, Natalia Makharova, Ivan Nagy and John Prinz all performed in it during the 70s, and they're all still around and presumably willing to help. Frankly, I think McKenzie pleading poverty is an excuse. Today's ABT only performs just enough Tudor to keep the critics off their collective backs -- they're not committed to Tudor in any serious and systematic way.

I so agree that a lot of money has been wasted/ At the same time maybe it's easier to get rich folks to write a check to fund Sleeping Beauty but not some one act Romeo and Juliet. That's just a guess.

As for Balanchine, as you said, anything they can get hold of. But one that ABT has done in the past is "Symphoney in C". It's best done on a large stage as it uses so many dancers. And it offers so many opportunities for the dancers to really do something!! Someone also mentioned "Jewels", which I'd certainly pay to see ABT dance.

I say this with all politeness but . . . I have to disagree. In my opinion, New York doesn't need a second home for Balanchine. Instead, ABT should revisit its pre-Baryshnikov past for inspiration and renewal -- there's a lot there.

I agree miliosr to some extent. I don't want to see ABT do a lot of Balanchine, and they have an extensive history of rep to draw upon. At the same time it's nice to see the ABT dancers do a Balanchine work or two (nothing to dominate the rep). Theme & Variations (correct me if I'm wrong) was done on ABT, so that is part of the history.

Also, Balanchine works can offer challenges and growth opportunities for individual dancers.

In other words I don't want ABT to mimic NYCB but a Balanchine work or 2 now and then would be nice.

At the same time it's nice to see the ABT dancers do a Balanchine work or two (nothing to dominate the rep). Theme & Variations (correct me if I'm wrong) was done on ABT, so that is part of the history.

Also, Balanchine works can offer challenges and growth opportunities for individual dancers.

Yes, it was -- T&V was originally choreographed for Alicia Alonso and Igor Youskevitch in 1947. According to the Balanchine Catalogue, the demi-soloists were Anna Cheselka, Melissa Hayden, Paula Lloyd, Cynthia Riseley, Fernando Alonso, Eric Braun, Fernand Nault, and Zachary Solov.

The first NYCB production was in 1960, and "In 1970, incorporated (with minor revisions) as the fourth movement of the full Suite No 3...(Later called Tchaikovsky Suite No. 3). It was also shown in 1978 on PBS with American Ballet Theatre. With NYCB only the Pas de Deux through finale was performed at the Balanchine Celebration in 1983 and broadcast on PBS (and sold commercially).

Details from the New York Public Library catalog:

ABT has also done a few ballets that Balanchine dropped from NYCB's rep: "Bourree Fantasque" and "Symphonie Concertante".

It was the Kirkland/Baryshnikov performance.

NYPL also has the videotape (for internal use) of the Balanchine Foundation coaching session by Alicia Alonso of Herrera and Corella from 1998.

http://catalog.nypl.org/iii/encore/record/C|Rb14547499|Stheme+and+variations+balanchine|P0%2C13|Orightresult|X2?lang=eng&suite=pearl

I would too like to see ABT do theater ballet ( dramatic work)...it seems close to its soul and one reason why Ratmansky is a good fit... Would it not be possible to do one act theatrical sketches again? Is it so much easier to raise money for big full evening works? Is there no way to frame an evening of one acts that would appeal to the large donors?

I, in no way meant or implied that ABT should become a second home for Balanchine. But he is considered by many to be the finest choreographer of the 20th Century, and most classical companies, both domestic and foreign dance his works on a regular basis. And in New York City whenever companies come to visit. (MIami City Ballet, SF Ballet, the Mariinsky, etc. etc.) His extensive canon of works allows for many opportunities for companies to show their dancers in his particular genius. His ballets offer technical and musical challenges not always seen in other choreographers' works. Many companies offer productions of Ashton's works. Or Robbins. Or MacMillan. Or Forsythe. Or Petipa! Balanchine should be included on a regular basis. As should Tudor. Perhaps even Fokine. How else can a classical company be truly measured and considered? Seeing either/ or of the NY companies dance Mr. B's work doesn't detract from either. But enriches both. And surely we, the audience, would reap the benefits.