Jose Manuel Carreno and the Feijoo sisters on Dancing with the Stars r

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Andre Yew

Andre Yew

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:09 PM

A few years ago, the Feijoo sisters danced as Odile/Odette for Boston Ballet's Swan Lake, so it's not wholly unprecedented. I also thought Carreno's costume was dumbed down for an audience that may not be used to men in tights. Oh well, one step at a time.

#17 Tapfan

Tapfan

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:29 PM

I think that for many people with limited exposure to ballet - as I'm sure is the case with DWTS viewers - tights simply look like male panyhose. And with matching ballet slippers, the dancers appear to be shoeless as well.

Also, isn't it possible that the costumers for the show thought it might be too jarring for JMC to be the only male dancer on the show wearing tights?

#18 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:31 PM

Of course I thought all the camera flares and 'fog'FX were rather silly, and the choreography not much better. But then I thought about it..Although poor Lorna didn't get to do much other than supported jete lifts, Lorena didn't get to do much more: supported turns, piques, maybe an arabesque or two. Jose Manuel Carreno did a la seconds, and of course partnered his two swans beautifully. And the swan corps did a lot of bourres. Why? Because studio floors (and even this one for DWTS) are usually not sprung; are highly polished (maybe not slippery for ballroom dance, but for the one-inch round platform of a pointe shoe, not the best or safest); and there are too many extraneous sets and lights and not enough floorspace to do much more. So, we saw pique turns, only supported pirouettes, and no individual jetes or other fast, high action where someone might seriously slip and get injured.

Of course the DWTS producers jumped on the "BS" bandwagon, did Hollywood ever have an original thought or a brave one? Not likely.

Meanwhile, it was great to see JMC, and finally Lorna's sister, since I don't get to see SFB unless they're on national tv.

#19 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:01 AM

On the issue of tights/no tights - didn't Jared Matthews wear tights when he and Yuriko did a pdd on SYTYCD last season? Same audience demographic, right? Maybe ABC worries about these things more than FOX?

#20 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:54 AM

...Carreno's costume was dumbed down for an audience that may not be used to men in tights. ....

You mean that the world hasn't progressed since Nijinsky shocked the Tsar Nikolai II's mother and daughters at the Mariinsky by wearing tights and a short tunic in Giselle? That was exactly 100 years ago. It cost him his job in his home theater.

Carreno's 19th-c military-style jacket reminded me of the current Siegfried costume at the Royal Ballet-London. Not the trousers - very odd. The DWTS producers probably just wanted to keep him "dark" to keep the focus on the "pretty ballerinas in tutus." It probably was not against men in tights. It was a short piece and they wanted the focus on the ladies. Just guessing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):